DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

You ought to give me wedding rings (attn: Kit & Con)

Arette

It was surprisingly peaceful in Electra's house since everyone had gone to Nyxia to keep her company while she was giving birth. Rae and Leonidas would have normally supported Philip but he had died two months before the birth of their newest baby, killed by the mercenaries who were the plague of the Perfumed Quarters. Their harrasment had been countered by founding of the militia by Con and his men but more mercenaries came to the city every day. Arette would have went with the others too to act as a midwife but Rana had chicken-pox. Someone else could have tended her even if Arette would have been reluctant to leave her, but Electra had told her and Con to stay home. She had even made it a point to mention her privately that the official mourning time was over. It had put her on a slight huff since she wasn't going to be the one to ask Con and even if her mother-in-law to-be had meant good, she didn't need to put her nose into their business. Light, had Electra said something to Con too? He hadn't mentioned a word about marriage to her in these past months and she hadn't brought up the topic either since she knew that he was grieving Philip. It had to be his initiative and something he wanted to do when ever he was ready, not something Electra pushed him to do.

Rana was thankfully napping after being cranky and itchy all day and Arette expected Cina to catch it any moment too. But right then she was happily playing with her father and was the image of health. She couldn't share their cheerful mood and had been on low spirits for some time. It was utterly stupid since everything was well in their lives. The only thing she could possibly hope for was a wedding ring on her finger and even if she was delighted of the prospect of marital life, it was problematic too. By cramming everyone else to sleep in just three rooms, she and Con could have their own space but still there was no real privacy in the house. There were no doors and the walls were figuratively thin as paper. They had waited for so long already that few more months shouldn't have mattered. But they did. The thought of it was enough to well tears behind her eyes and it only frustrated her more. Bloody burning Calvin for dying on her. Despite everything, she missed him and his presence in her mind and his company like he had been in their good years. Snapping of the bond was the cause of her mental unsteadiness and she hated it.

The needlework she had tried to do for a pillow case was all tangled up and she began to pull it apart forcefully enough for Con to notice. "Do everything be alright, Arette?" Obviously he really didn't have a clue or then he expected her to actually say it. But she had decided that would't pressure him she reminded herself as she touched the small bulge in her pocket. It was the new wedding band for Con that she had created. Even her dress was ready since she had sold all of the little jewelry she had had and hired a real seamstress... and not from the Perfumed Quarters which might be seen as snobbery even if she had settled for a simple Illianer cut but with the best possible materials and quality work. Everything was ready but a willing groom and that she couldn't affect.

But she could avert the real issue or get to it really sneakily and subtly by discussing about something else that needed to be cleared out. She moved to sit beside Con and kissed Cina audibly which made her giggle and then Con's cheek. "I love you. But have you noticed that I am quite the fool?" That made him clear his throat in surprise and think for a moment before he settled for a non-committal 'Mhfmp'. She laughed and kissed him again. "And not for loving you, never that." She sighed. "No, I am envious of Nyxia. It is a horrible thing to feel, especially in her situation and it is completely futile since I can't..." She averted her face with a blush "...never anymore, haven't had my monthly flow since... But you knew that already. After Arad Doman... you said it didn't matter, but still... It is different than knowing it and living it with all your siblings having so many children. It's too late and useless to think these things and we couldn't have had but maybe one more if we had gotten at it right when we..." She sighed again and buried her face on his shoulder. "I'm sorry. I will stop this now, blame it on the broken bond. And don't think that I am not glad of you and the girls. I thank the Light every moment for you." She stole Cina from him and snuggled her. "You are my treasures, all three of you."

Wrapping an arm around Arette as he pulled her a little closer and gave her a soft kiss, Con didn't take his eyes off her as he smiled. "It do be alright, I do be knowing what you mean." Not precisely, but Con felt he had some idea. He knew that the bond did make her weepy still, in fact Arette was handling far better than most sisters did. There were some who were paralysed by the loss for years, many choosing never to bond again because of the sheer pain involved in a broken bond. "We do be having children, it no be mattering if there do be two or twenty, and I do be having you. Better to be reflecting on what we do be having rather than contemplating what we might have been, the wheel do be weaving as it do be willing and for once everything do be right. I no be begrudging it."

The light kiss on the lips made her close her eyes with pleasure. Suddenly she was very aware that they were all alone in the house with no one but the children and if Cina just went to sleep... But no, they had been all proper all these months and they could wait a hopefully short bit longer. She was relieved that he was taking it so well and hadn't changed his mind despite being surrounded by all these children and the few happy expecting couples. She didn't want to keep up the topic and remind him of how much of the life of his only children he had already lost. And it was her fault for not telling him earlier about him becoming a father. She handed Cina back to Con and curled to his side. She was debating whether she should give him the ring or not. It wouldn't really be forcing him to set the date or anything, just be the promise of eventually marrying. Finally she dug the band out and held it on her open palm. It wasn't similar than the one she had given him last time. This had taken all her remaining gold and was wider than the previous ring. It was completely smooth with a slightly rounded surface. "I've had this for a bit now but... It's to replace the one you lost", she stated quietly. She didn't know how to continue so she just waited to see how he would response.

That hadn't been what Con was expecting. In fact, it had been something that he had been hoping wouldn't occur for at least for awhile if not at all. Not until... well, it was too late for that now, now that she had produced a new ring. Reaching over and closing her fingers over the ring, he held up his other hand to stop her before she said anything. "Wait." Reaching to his belt, there were two pouches that hung from it. One contained coin but the other one contained something else entirely. It was this one that he freed from his belt and unlaced. Fishing inside it, his fingers seemed to be coated with butter and entirely too big for the task, but they soon found what they were after.

Fishing out ring of gold with simple floral engravings, he tossed the pouch onto the table as he smiled in a resigned fashion at Arette. "I did be hoping you would be waiting a little longer, but it no be of matter now." Taking her left hand, Con slowly removed the serpent band that was wrapped around her ring finger as he explained. "When I was a Tower Guard, I used to spend a good deal of time in the smithy under Mistress Thewen. It took me a lot of time, even though I thought this day could never happen I still worked on it."

Laying her serpent ring on the table, Con didn't take his eyes from her as he continued the story. "When you did be casting me out, I did be shutting you out, everything about you. I no be able to part with the ring though, I no be knowing why. In the end I did be placing it within the pommel, so I could be carrying it yet not be having it torment me. When I did be giving the blade to Brandeis after... well, I did be remembering it was there and removed it. It do be strange how the Wheel be weaving true? But, since we no be in a rush this time I do be wanting to give you a last chance to be backing out. Well, not really, but this do be a hard life here. But if you would stay with me here, then would you be marrying me Arette?"

Arette held still at Con's plea to wait and looked at him expecting an explanation pleading him quietly to be pleased. Light, her timing had been bad and she was pressuring him. He hadn't wanted her to say anything. She was watching his face and the controlled smile on his lips so she was surprised to feel his touch on her hand and allowed him to remove the Great Serpent Ring. She usually wore it on a cord around her neck but after Rana had tried to swallow it, she had reluctantly placed it on her finger again. Only then she noticed the beautiful ring he held. And he had made it himself even if he hadn't believed he could ever give it to her? It must have taken him many hours of work. Her eyes were misting. His words about the horrible break up made her bite her lip but he went on to tell how he had still kept the ring. She had never heard anything so beautiful in her life. And anything as stupid as him thinking for even a moment that she wouldn't marry him and stay with him where ever he would be. She beamed at him despite the bloody tears already running down her face. She just couldn't control it anymore.

"Of course I will marry you", she sobbed. "You're a total wool-head if you think that I wouldn't gladly spend my life here with you. I love you and I love your family and this is my home too now." Cina was getting agitated at her crying and while Con focused on calming her down, she took a handkerchief from her sleeve and dabbed her eyes and blew her nose. This wasn't how she had imagined the scene but the short break made her able to calm down a bit. "It's alright, Cina, Mama was just so happy because your Dada proposed her", she cooed at the child before kissing Con. It was an awkward position since she tried to not crush Cina but she wouldn't let him go until the kiss grew heated enough that she had difficulties with breathing. She pulled back triumphantly and ignored a bit longer the pouting Cina who was jealous of the attention. She had to clear her throat before she could speak. "Give me your hand." As he complied, she caressed the callused knuckles gently before sliding the finger to his left ring finger. "You may place the ring then." She enjoyed the moment throughoutly but began to think immediately about the actual wedding, something all women, even Aes Sedai, daydreamed about occasionally. "And when would we get married? And where? You have quite a bit of relatives after all... would the unless and aunts and cousins come too?" She was trying to calculate how many people that would potentially make and the resulting crowd made her feel a bit faint. She didn't think that even the largest noble weddings she had heard of had so many people. How could they feed them all? They would be bankrupted.

Teary eyed himself, it was one of the few times he didn't care even as he laughed at the worries that Arette began to express. This was something else he anticipated, and it was something that could be taken care of. After all, she was probably thinking of Andoran weddings that were very... odd. Illianer ones were much better, but he would leave that for another to tell Arette. There was no need to spoil the moment as he reached over a kissed Arette to silence her worries. Drawing away after a moment, Con shook his head at her. "It do be fine, we will be finding a way to manage. We do be needing to be telling mother of it. But not yet, we should be waiting and letting Nyxia have her moment first with her child, I no be wanting to spoil that. But afterward, then we do be able to arrange it. Yes?"

Getting a kiss for an answer, that settled that.

Con Stavros & Arette Nenattiar

Engaged

The wedding had been set to a date three weeks from the second proposal and it had positively electrified Arette. Electra had even gone as far to call her a wedding-fool during one of the many arguments they had had of the arrangements. Electra was intent on seeing her son getting married in a proper Illianer way whereas Arette was set on having a proper Andoran wedding with her own twists. They had both tried to appeal to Con who had wisely washed his hands entirely of the matter; in fact, he had been strangely busy during the late evenings since plighting the troth. Wedding didn't seem to have quite the same importance - obsession if you asked Electra - to Illianer women than Andoran women or maybe it was just Arette. The women in Perfumed Quarters had to still do their daily chores and the preparations were done communally by the whole horde of relatives. Since the whole family that comprised of over two hundred people would be coming, the couple and their parents were not thankfully expected to provide the wedding dinner. Everyone would bring something and Arette had happily obliged to follow this tradition.

The difference was that she wanted all the people to be present at the same time and witness the ceremony. In Andor it was no problem since there was a plenty of countryside and wedding was often held outside but the Perfumed Quarters were crammed full and there were no squares save the market place to fit such a crowd. Finally after almost a week of cajoling and almost despairing, Arette had managed to persuade an owner of a warehouse to allow them use the place. With every guest bringing a chair or stool for themselves, the place would be golden. Con had for some reason seemed pleased that the wedding was in the warehouse area, maybe because it was close to the barracks she hadn't seen yet and it would be easy for his men to attend. Since they couldn't go to the countryside, she would bring the countryside inside in form of flowers, a sea of red roses to be precise. This ambition - or madness - had Electra rolling her eyes and even though her work wasn't utterly necessary at the house, Electra couldn't see the point why she had to go to Helena's farm every day and return death exhausted after channeling all day to make the rose bushes yield enough blossoms on just the right day. Even the older Brown was glad to be rid of Arette for a while by the time the wedding day dawned. The only ones who throughoutly enjoyed the weeks of marriage mania were Cina and Rana who got to roam in the gardens.

Arette's side of the guests would be pretty much non-existing. She had sent an invitation immediately to Telcia and Kit but she doubted that her former mentee would receive it in time. By the time the wedding was close and there was no sight of Telcia or even a message, Arette was certain that she couldn't make it either. It was a huge disappointment but even the absence of her best friend couldn't ruin her and Con's day. She had asked Ilia to perform the role of the maid of honour and she was relieved that her sister-in-law to be hadn't taken offense of being the second choice. The men of the family were with Con and supremely amused they had delivered the simple and narrow wreath of laurel leaves and lilies of the valleys, the flower of Nenatiar family, made by her own hand that he was supposed to wear. They all found the perfectly sensible and proper Andoran wedding customs hilarious and strange and she wished that he would really wear it. If for nothing else, then because it would make her glad.

Electra, Ilia and Danae helped Arette to get garbed and the rest of the sisters and older nieces were helping Helena to set up the decorations. Arette was certain that her colour of choice would surprise Con. She usually wore dark and fairly neutral clothes but the seamstress knew her trade and had a good colour eye and she had browbeated Arette into accepting a ruby red gown. And she had to admit, it did accentuate perfectly her light skin and black hair and the dress made her stand out. Another thing Electra had snorted at was dying her hair to cover the white on her temples. It was vanity and she knew that Con didn't care but she did. Today she wanted to look young... well, ageless and as beautiful as was just possible. The women had done her waist long hair into one thick braid leaving out some strands where the wedding ribbons would be cabled in and the roses had been laced on their place amidst the dark locks. Ilia held a small mirror so she could see how she looked and she was surprised by the effect happiness and the right colour gave to your looks. She looked radiant even to her own highly critical eye.

That was when the door opened to reveal a petite blond woman holding the hands of two children. Overcome with happiness, Arette rushed to embrace her. "Telcia! Light that I am happy to see you. I already thought you couldn't make it. Welcome." She moved aside to let them inside and squatted down to meet Jelene and Jamal on their level. It had been over six months since she had last seen them and almost as long while they had been away from home. She wasn't sure if they remembered her and she didn't want to scare them. Jelene had no hesitations to give a hug to auntie Arette and she snuggled the girl happily with the expertise of motherhood. She settled just to pat Jamal's head gently smiling down on him as he didn't make the initiative. The greetings done she remembered her duties as hostess and guided them to sit. "Can I get you something before we need to leave to the wedding place? I hope that your trip went well. You came by ship, yes?" She wondered what Telcia was making of the Perfurmed Quarters. Was she horrified of the smell and the poorness and think it was a slum? Was it even worse than Rahad? Rana and Cina climbed to her lap in their own pretty red dresses in shade that suited their olive skins better than the ruby colour of their mother. They were happy to have her full attention after three fairly hectic weeks and her being broomed for so long. They considered Telcia, Jamal and Jelene curiously but didn't seem to remember them. Light, it had been almost a year since the children had met and only few months less since the girls had last seen Telcia. They had grown alot since that and were already chattering quite alot. As Telcia formed her reply, Arette quickly reminded the girls who the guests were. They should at least remember the names since she had told them stories of Telcia's and their father's adventures together and how the twins had been rescued.

Light bless her husband he actually looked at Arette with the eyes of a man appriciating a pretty woman. Of course she found it terrible funny when Iussi noticed her noticing him and he looked appologetic. Fool man! Didn't he know how much a woman needed reassuring on her wedding day? For Arette, no doubt, the look from Iussi would prove her radience; after all, those two hated each other by in large. They never gave each other anything near compliments and if he did, Arette would know it for genuine. Chuckling, she kissed Iussi goodbye & gave the children's hands to him. "Don't forget to tell Con I wish to speak with him before the ceremony begins. I want to give him his gift."

As soon as he was gone she walked over to her Sister again and kissed her on the cheeks. "Oh Arette!" She sighed. "You have no idea how much I've missed you. You're," She pulled back to look at her friend from head to toe, her hands still on her shoulders. "Beautiful isn't strong enough of a word for how you shine today." A smile spit her face wide, nearly ear to ear; her eyes glowing with sincereity & love.

She was relieved to see Con's family (she assumed that was who this veritable horde of women had to be by the look of them) was willing to leave Arette alone with the only family she had here. "I have so much to say, so much ..." She seems sad for a moment shaking her head and closing her eyes, but it's pushed away quickly behind a smile once more. "...but today is a day of great happiness for all of us and The Light and I won't color it with anything but red for you both." Walking back to the door she hesitates only a moment.

"So..." She locks it. "I have three gifts for you. The first will require you keep the children in your lap & hold them tightly. This has a nasty habit of cutting anything that get's in it's way." Her eyes sparkle with mischief as she chooses a direction of the room that wouldn't be damaged by the opening. "Now, do watch closely. You should be able to repeat this. You're strong enough I think."

Telcia took hold of the intense heat that was Saidar and breathed slowly & purposefully. Rising onto her tip toes she moved her hands as if she were conducting an orchestra; slowly at first with increasing speed and bravado. If someone who was not a channeler were to see the petite woman at work they might think her mad, beautiful, & frightening as she seemed to crackle with energy even to the naked eye. Her efforts flooding the room with energy as her eyes focused with a deadly intent on the flows of spirit that would let her bend reality in on itself.

She'd done this once today but the placement of threads had to be 'just so' in order for the desired result to come into being. Maegan had given her this gift and it was by this silvery thread's light that she was brought to her friend's side this happy day. The thin line came into physical being and Arette's eyes went wide as it began to yawn in a most fascinating way. Telcia's heart quickened as she bent the energies and tied the flows with wrist thick threads that would hold for quite a long while. Falling back onto her heels and exhaling slowly she finally turned to Arette.

"There." She said gently, the portal humming before them both no wider or taller than a doorway. "Gift number one is that... a weave, rediscovered by the Tower not too long after we left." Before Arette could ask how she simply added, ""Seems some are still loyal to the Cause even in dark times like these. Now we can visit each other any time we like... or other things... should it ever be necessary. Either way, say goodbye to saddle sores." she laughed and gave Arette time to react before adding, "The second gift is on the otherside."

Waiting for Arette to walk through the gateway with her children, she followed close behind. From a hard warehouse floor into a soft grassy field that seemed to stretch on for miles.

Flowers peppered the green and yellow reeds and a stream wound slowly towards a pond nearby. Distantly farms could be seen and a great distance away the mountains of mist loomed. She'd read about this place and visited it once with a small group of Tinkers she was lucky enough to be invited to walk with in her younger years as a Sedai. Being that her sister once called this place home it only seemed appropriate that she now bring her here for her wedding hour prayers. Walking up beside her friend she whispered, "I know how much going home meant to me even if the circumstances weren't as happy as yours are today." Laying a hand gently on her shoulder she adds, "I'll watch the children if you'd like to go pray."

Telcia didn't say it, but she knew in days to come they would need every prayer that Arette could invent to say today. Perhaps, here away from the rest of the world and so near perfection of nature, the Creator would listen. Perhaps the Dread Lord had been wrong... Light, send that he's wrong.

Arette had almost managed to ignore the presence of Telcia's unsufferable husband even if she had promised to try and accept him. She frowned slightly at the appreciative look he gave her but then shrugged slightly and decided that it was meant to be a compliment. She nodded at Iussi politely and received a small bow before he listened attentively to Telcia's instructions and left with the twins. Then Telcia came to embrace her and she breathed deeply her scent and perfume. She smiled widely at her compliments and they were much more worth to her than any hundred people's opinions. Electra, Ilia and Danae gathered the younger children and retreated to the kitchen and Arette appreciated the gesture. She didn't know how long Telcia could stay and once they walked the distance to the wedding house, there would be the other guests clamoring for her and Con's attention. Light how she had missed her friend.

She took seriously the warning to keep the girls close by and wondered what could require such safety measures that one could give as gift. It seemed to be some kind of a weave and she followed with rapt attention Telcia's every action. It seemed to take immense amounts of Spirit and Arette wasn't as strong as it as Telcia was. Her fingers itched to get to try the new trick herself and she gasped when the silvery line appeared in the thin air and began to open a doorway to elsewhere. Light, this was the women's version of Traveling. It looked a bit different than what Rasputin had done but she knew it now. Where had Telcia learned this from and how could she ever repay her? Her eyes widened as the former Red explained that someone from the Tower had taught her the weave. She had of course known that the Tower had discovered Traveling but as an exile she had never expected to be able to learn it until now.

She beamed at Telcia when she mentioned that visiting each others was no further away than a footstep and nodded knowingly at her remark about no more riding. She didn't hesitate even for a moment when her friend motioned her and the children to go through first. And there were to be other gifts? The countryside was beautiful and after seeing the mountains, she knew where they were, Baerlon or very close by. She breathed the clear air and wrapped her arms around Telcia as she came to stand beside her. She finally found her voice.

"Thank you, Telcia, thousand times thank you. This is the most valuable gift I could have imagined. You can't imagine how much I have craved to learn this weave after seei...." The words stuck on her tongue held by the bloody oath of silence Rasputin had made her swear and she hid her consternation to a not so faked stirred harrumph. "I have missed you so much too and after this...", she laughed. "You will wish that you never taught me after the frequency of my first visits." It was strange to be so close to her former home. Her relatives still lived in the manor house that she had bought to them, Jerry's descendants. She and Con had passed through the region on their way back to Fernhill but they hadn't been able to stop here to her regret. Now she could invite her relatives to the wedding but she was a stranger to them, a woman they knew only from letters and stories. She would visit, but not today.

"I would like to say a few prayers in private, but I only need a few minutes." She smiled forlornly. "My ties to my home and family were cut off for the most part well before I ever laid my eyes on the White Tower as you know, so I don't have much to say." Closing her eyes she tried to visualise her parents but they were dim figures since she had last seen them when she was seven and she had refused to gaze upon their paintings when visiting Jermaine and his family years later almost two centuries before the present day.

Mother and father, I will get married today and below my station you would say. But you always saw only the outside and the value others gave to things and not their true worth. Con is more noble in the every meaning of the word than either of you ever despite and because of your ambitions. Father, you were weak and mother, you were selfish. You didn't love me enough to keep me with you and accept me as I was and not as a gateway to the better future. But I forgive you because that doesn't hurt me anymore. I have two wonderful daughters who I will cherish like you never cherished me. I have learned from your mistakes and I have moved on. May the Light shelter your souls and give you more wisdom in next life.

Jerry and Grina, I love you and I wish that mine and Con's union will be just as happy as yours. Like you Grina, I want to die before my spouse if it is not possible to meet our maker together. And no, she would not think the Last Battle today. Light bless you both. You will be remembered. She went through the family tree and reminesced the correspondence she had had with various relatives of the later generations. It took longer than the few minutes she had estimated but she was greatful of the chance to lay her past at peace and renew ties to her own family even if it was only in memories.

She opened her eyes and wandered to Telcia and Rana and Cina. Scooping up the girls who were almost too heavy for her to hold them both, she kissed their brows before letting them down. She smiled at Telcia thoughtfully. "When did you get so awfully wise? I didn't know that I even needed this gift but it was almost as important as the first one, maybe even more so on personal level. Thank you again." She paused. "I am ready to leave now... and I almost dread the third gift. If it is anything compared to these previous two..." She couldn't even imagine what it could be and Light knew that she was indebted already. She remembered with shame the ordinary wedding gifts she had given to Telcia and Iussi. One had been an illustrated Domani book on the arts of love and with advice to couples. It had belonged once to a direct ancestor of Telcia's mother but Arette doubted that there had been anything in the volume that Telcia hadn't already known from the heart thanks to her raising. The other had been a tapestry with a love scene in an Ebou Dari style, beautiful but so utterly mundane gift when compared to these that Telcia had given to her. She recognised the familiar path her thoughts were trailing and since it only lead to feelings of inferiority and unhappines she halted on her figurative steps. Today was her day and she would be happy and receive the presents gracefully and in the spirit they were intended and not warped by her insecurities. What was there to be insecure about when she was finally marrying the man she loved and she and their children would officially become part of the most wondrous and tight-knit family she could just imagine.

• 1 month later...

Ragan peace knotted his blade. He sincerely doubted he’d need to use it this afternoon. If he did, best not to think of such things. Kit had worked her hair over at least four times now using the One Power to hold it in such impossible ways that the Queen of Andor herself couldn’t possibly have been expected to be seen wearing. He wished she’d just accept that her happy face was all that her mentor would need despite the silence which had hung between them for so long and the difficult terms they’d left under.

That wasn’t to say that he didn’t think Con would have a moment of hesitation or more. To the contrary he could bank on it. However, true and loyal friends were precious commodities to Con. He knew this & if the rumors of Con’s departure from the White Tower were true, he could only hope that in their shocked feelings of injustice there would be some common ground to rebuild upon. Besides, while Con could never understand his fury with Arette… nor had he and Con built such an angry wall of animosity that Arette and Kit had. They, as men, had the good sense to just be silent after the initial harsh and disagreeable words. All that remained now was to see if the silence could be peaceably broken.

“How do I look?” She asked again. Ragan knew no matter what he said she’d redo it but, while he wasn’t the world’s brightest man, he knew better than to give a woman truth when she asked such questions.

“The Light’s truth Kit Sedai,” she hated it when he added her honorific unnecessarily but today it was necessary. She was stunning at this moment and trying to hide his emotions in the void was the only way to cope without her getting on again about him denying truth. If only she could understand his honor the same way she understood dead and forgotten lore. “You shine as brightly as the sun itself.”

Kit smiled so hard it threatened to split her face. Turning back to the mirror she stared at herself for a long moment and the smile faded as she let her power go and her hair fell in waves.

“What was wrong that time!?” Ragan asked, more baffled than before. “I thought you liked it that time?”

“I did.” She said regretfully. “But I can’t go in looking too good. It will be an insult to the bride.”

Exasperated Ragan flopped down dejectedly into a chair to wait her out. Defeated he just refused to fight this particular battle any further.

==

BACK AT THE DRESSING ROOM

==

Telcia let the weave close behind them as they re-entered Arette’s dressing area. Once again the two sisters hugged. “I’m so glad I was able to be here. I’ll have to send my sisters a very special gift for this one. It’s a debt I won’t fully be able to repay I think.” She pulls back, hands still on Arette’s shoulders.

“I’ve never seen you like this before. I think being a goodwife will suit you far more than any other title you’ve carried before.” She walked over to the door. “The other gift will require you to close your eyes.” Telcia peaked out the door to be sure the flame red signal of Kit’s hair was visible. As soon as she was sure Arette’s eyes were closed she opened the door and waved Kit inside.

“In my arches, as you’ve learned, I once saw myself as Amyrlin Seat…” She begins, watching Arette’s brow furrow. “Well, I may not be Mother of the Tower, or possessing of even a third of her influence or command,” Telcia chuckled. “but some people don’t require an order from the world’s most powerful woman to come to their senses. You can open your eyes when you hear the door shut behind me Arette. I’ll see you in the wedding house. Come on Cina, Rana; let’s let mommy have time alone. We’ll go find your father & you both can help me give him his gift.”

Sparing a smile for Kit, who looked simple but very pretty today in her Andoran way, she nodded to the girl and swiftly swept out the door with the twins in tow, shutting the door firmly behind her. She hesitated only a second to hear Arette’s happy gasp. Tears welled in her eyes. Light but it was good to see family back together again.

==

OUTSIDE THE WEDDING HOUSE

==

Finding his old mentor was easily done. Getting to him through the swell of bodies laughing so hard, was. Ragan didn’t know these people and while some looked like they might be Con’s Kinsmen; he couldn’t be sure. In their way, all Illianers looked alike to some degree. Hearing their terrible thick accent being spoken so freely and by so many all at once was nearly deafening.

Perhaps happily, or regrettably, Ragan immediately began to draw attention while Kit was able to slip off without even being noticed. Sometimes he hated being a Shienaran. Certainly he stuck out in southern crowds but what gained as much attention as his top knot was his weapon and shield… both chosen with care to model the two of the men who he admired most in entire world. One man was dead some 10 years ago now, the other was turning to see what had caused a ripple of silence to flow across the sea of his kinsmen.

Years of drilling proper etiquette caused Ragan to act even without thought. Ending his warder’s stride a fisted hand raised up from his side and collided firmly against his chest where his heart lay beating. A slight bow made his life’s blood echo louder in his ears as he made oath in witness of the assembled and the Light, “Peace favor your blade now and always Master.”

He only wished that he could read and understand his mentor’s expression.

Ragan Morsad

Gaidin to Kit Sedai

Student of Thunder on the Ocean

Kit Sedai

Sister of the Brown Ajah

& ...

Arette clung tightly to her sister back in the house of her soon to be mother-in-law and released her reluctantly from the embrace. Her next words made her smile and nod in agreement. Being a wife and mother and a productive member of a large family and community were something she was good at. And unlike her position in the Tower that forced her to repress her emotions and hide her happiness, her new vocation was a constant source of joy. She enjoyed even the obstacles at least when they had been solved. Seemingly Telcia was also in her element as a merchant, the role she had been trained since childhood. Arette almost pitied the poor men who would face her in the bargain table; they wouldn't realize what had happened when they came off with deals favouring her heavily, charmed by her Domani skills.

Plagued with curiousity Arette tried to view past Telcia as her sister looked outside. Her effort was useless since Telcia had opened the door only slightly and was standing in the way. With a sigh she resigned and closed her eyes resisting valiantly the urge to peek. She would find out soon enough. The beginning of her friend's explanation definately baffled her but she got her explanation quickly. So it was a person... but who? From the Amyrlin comment her first thought was that Telcia had somehow found Karana. It filled her with half-dread since she wasn't certain her mentor would whole-heartedly approve her choices with her life. To see that powerful woman stripped of Saidar would be painful, but she knew that Karana's formidable spirit wouldn't be any lessened. Her guilt over her mentor's fate was definately something she needed to reconsile with but please Light, not on her wedding day. And Telcia had never liked Karana, especially after Arette had refused to help her with the matter of Iussi and Karana had sealed Telcia to the Flame after her Foretelling and sent her away to have her children. Maybe it wasn't Karana after all.

The door was closing by the time that train of thought was finished and she opened her eyes. Beholding her mentee hale and serene in her Andoran garment forced the breath out of her. Kit came half-way to the warm hug that stretched and stretched as neither wanted to let go. Finally Arette pulled back and wiped her eyes discreetly. "I am so glad to see you, Kit. Now my day is perfect. Come and sit, dear." Her mentee obeyed and they faced each others. "What have you been up to and where have you been? I haven't received letters so I have been most worried. Making you a..." she glanced to the kitchen where her relatives to-be were still waiting and lowered her voice "...Hunter has weighted heavy on me and it is very good that you have not stayed in the Tower. Not that any other place is safer..." If the Black Ajah wanted Kit dead.

Great beginning and a light topic. She hadn't meant to sound like a Questioner but she really had been concerned for Kit's safety. She hoped that it wouldn't ruin the rapport between that resembled the time before her stunt that had destroyed Kit's chances of happiness with Ragan. They had discussed it and even though you could never completely forget such an event and it's cause, Kit hadn't been overwhelmingly furious anymore. After Kit's return from Tear, they had interacted seemingly normally but without the old ease and trust and friendship. And then Kit had left and Arette had been made to leave... She wanted it back and to bridge the gap of estrangement between them.

Clearing her throat she strived for a light tone. "But you are alright and here today and that is all that matters. And so is that Warder of yours too, I hope." She pursed her lips and resisted voicing the question about whether he had come to his senses yet and accepted that he and Kit could be lovers too despite being Bonded. Ragan had mellowed a bit to her during the wrenching days they had spent beside Con's bed after the trolloc battle near Tar Valon. He had even gifted Con with a drawing of her but he would likely never be able to forgive her fully. And she completely understood, you just didn't hurt someone to their sorest spot and expect them to be your best friends afterwards. Still, she would consider it a good sign if he was here even if it was only out of respect for Kit and Con.

((OOC: I totally don't remember if I was made a Hunter or not... I thought I left before that... *shrug* I don't remember a whole helluva lot from back then even. Yay to be back to RPing with everyone!!!))

As Telcia met her to lead her to her Mentor, Kit could feel the nervous tension rising within her. As far as Ragan was away, she imagined that he could probably feel her nervous tension through the bond. Idly, Kit wondered if he was feeling the same tension seeing Con again after so long. What had it been? Two years or close to it.

Telcia had brought her through the strange house full of Con's relatives and perched her outside the door to Arette's room. The hustle and bustle of wedding preparations flowed about her like a living river. It reminded her of the flow of Saidar. Breathing deeply and trying to calm the nerves that wanted to rush like the family around her, Kit forced herself to relax.

It had been so excellent to see Telcia and to receive news of her and the children...even if the contact had come in a strange manner. Who had Tinkers as their eyes-and-ears? The additional news of Arette and Con's wedding was even more surprising and delightful. Kit was glad that the time difference in land that they'd visited hadn't been too far off. They might have been gone for ages...or just hours... Time had the possibility of moving quickly in parallel worlds.

Lost momentarily in the thoughts of the study of alternate places. It felt like she was just about to figure something out when she heard the door creak open and Telcia peeked out. Kit's mind snapped back to attention and she fussed with her dress, brushing imagined wrinkles out of the sleeves and the skirt and fussing with her hair for one moment more. Telcia smiled, holding the hands of two young girls as she led them out of the room. Kit smiled her own smile at the former Red before she made her way with the girls.

Sighing, she reached out and turned the handle of the door and let herself inside. Kit couldn't help but break out in a foolish looking grin. Arette looked as elegant as she ever had and even more so dressed in her wedding finery. Closing the door softly behind her, she heard her Mentor's puff of breath and turned to meet her in a hug that seemed to last forever and make up for the time that they had lost. When they parted, both of them had to take a moment to dab at moist eyes with handkerchiefs before continuing.

Before she could blink, she was seated beside Arette and her Mentor was asking a barrage of questions. Kit couldn't help but nod softly as the topic of the questioning became decidedly dark. Opening her mouth to answer, she closed it again as the older woman spoke again. Ragan...would the two of them ever reconcile?

Arette quieted and looked to her for answers to her deluge of questions. “It’s so wonderful to see you! It’s been so long! But before I ask about you, I’ll answer your questions. I guess I’ll take it one question at a time.” She smiled and laughed softly before beginning. “Well, Ragan and I left the Tower, as you know… We traveled for some time and where we were, I could not have sent you a letter at all!” Whether she still considered herself Aes Sedai or not, she couldn’t shake the attitudes of the Brown that she had become over many years of study. She had to stop herself from blurting out the whole story at once. “I’ll tell you all about our adventures when the wedding is over and we have more time to talk.”

She nodded and smiled again at her Mentor, fidgeting just slightly and she sighed audibly. “Ragan is fine. He’s going through his own reunion right now. As I left to come see you, he left to go see Con. I’m sure they’re clapping each other on the back in a manly fashion as we speak.” Kit laughed softly and reached over to hold one of Arette’s hands in her own. “I have missed you. And I hope that you won’t think it terribly rude that I didn’t have time to get you a gift for your wedding day. We rushed here as soon as we heard word and just made it in time! And speaking of that wedding…when does it start! Con would be perturbed if I made you late for your appointment…”

Tipping her head aside with inquisitive curiousity Arette focused on every word of her mentee. Where could she have been where she couldn't have sent letters from? Studying the red birds of Seleisin perchance, she thought ruefully. She had to bite her tongue to not drill more out of Kit even though the reminder of her wedding distracted her. A blissful smile that could have been called even sappy spread to her face lighting it and making her truly beautiful for a moment. It was still hard to believe that they really were finally getting married after waiting so long and with all the postponements and worry for him.

Then her mentee moved on to a topic that instantly grabbed her interest. It was not just the desire to see everyone paired that Rae and Ilia accused her of. A good relationship with the right person did make you happy and she wanted to see everyone around her happy, especially her mentee. And somehow she would arrange things so if her woolheaded Warder hadn't smartened up. She was glad that he and Con were meeting. Con had always been really fond of Ragan and the reunion would make a happy day even better for him. Just like Kit's appearance had enchanced her mood.

She waved her hand dismissively."Don't worry about gifts." She patted Kit's hand and smiled at her warmly. "My best gift sits right here. And..." she swung her hand in a slow arch encompassing the house and the area. "... life in Perfumed Quarters is simple so the other guests will be mainly bringing food and themselves and their skills like musicianship. And you hardly get married for the gifts. As for the ceremony... it starts when ever I show up. I think that Con is already at the wedding house." She very much did want to rush there but she also wanted to speak with Kit. "How long will you be staying after the wedding?" She bit her lip as she looked around the house. "You are welcomed to stay here but... it is a bit cramped. Oh, but I know. You could stay at Helena's place. Helena Emporios, do you remember? A retired Brown sister. She has a farm house outside the city and the most beautiful garden you will ever see. Or then of course an inn if you want more privacy."

Then she rememered that she knew how to create a Gateway now as could Telcia. She beamed happily. "Or Telcia's place or anywhere in the world. I still can't believe that anywhere is just one step away. You know how to Travel too, right?"

The smile that covered her Mentor's face made her glow. Despite her time away, Kit could still remember every moment she'd spent with this woman. She could tell that Arette was truly happy, and that made her happy.

Still smiling, the Brown shrugged slightly. Perhaps she could get Arette something later. Something she'd need. Not that she had that much money... Traveling around had decreased her stores. She'd managed not to have to sell all her jewelry by being very frugal, and she would never sell the two silver bracelets that jingled merrily on her wrist.

As Arette's hand swept to take in the "Perfumed Quarters," Kit shook her head. If all the people she'd seen running in and out of the place since she came, truly it was a tight fit in the house. "Con would be perturbed if I kept you for too long. And your guests might get impatient!" She'd not been to a wedding in a long time, but crowds in general got fidgety if you left them sitting for too long.

"I hadn't really thought about how long that Ragan and I would be staying after your wedding. I don't really have plans beyond that. We had to rush to get here and didn't have much time to think about it."

The name sounded familiar. She hadn't actually met Helena Emporios, but Kit had studied past Brown Sisters and there was most likely something written on her if she'd retired to the country. "I wouldn't want to impose on a retired Sister, but if she wishes us to stay with her, that would be excellent. I'd love a moment to enjoy a good garden."

Kit's eyes widened as she listened to Arette speak. "Traveling? I thought that skill was lost..." She'd met Telcia in the city at a designated location and she and Ragan had ridden long and hard to get there. The possibility was thoroughly exciting. To be able to travel the world in seconds from one place to the other. She'd read of it in books, of course. There were records...but the ability had been lost for so long.

"Where did you learn that?" The urge to learn leaped up inside her. Could she even learn such a weave? Some weaves were outside her abilities, but the ability to cross a land in a blink...impossible sounding. She realized that they'd forgotten her wedding for a moment and hoped that they wouldn't be too late.

---------

Kit Sedai

Bonded to Ragan Gaidin

Arette merely smiled when Kit reminded her again of Con and the quests. They would go soon enough but she would enjoy the company of her mentee first for a bit longer while they got to be all alone. It thrilled her that Kit had no plans: that would give them time to be together. She was touched that Kit had kept such hurry to get in time to their wedding.

Kit's amazement about the lost Talent made Arette frown. So Telcia hadn't taught her... would her friend object if she taught this weave to Kit? But her mentee would learn it when she returned to the White Tower. For her it was still possible, she remarked with tinge of bitterness.

"You have been away for some time then", she said softly. "The White Tower somehow uncovered Traveling after my... exile. The Dragon knows it too and he taught it to the Black Tower. The Shadow has likely known it all the time too, at least the Forsaken. I thought that I would never learn it being cut from the Tower but Telcia..." Her voice tremored with emotions, the love, greatfulness, joy "... she showed me how today. The best wedding gift anyone could imagine. I don't know who taught her but it was someone from the Tower."

"Here, let me show you." She embraced the Source briefly reveling in how it made her feel more alive and more aware of everything around her. She wove deftly Spirit in the complex pattern in exact imitation of Telcia's weave. A silvery glow appeared and spiraled into a doorway in the air, a very small door way to a green countryside, the size a dog or a small child might walk through and an adult if they crawled. She stared at it with dismay muttering how she must have done something wrong. She was certain that Kit had watched attentively and could repeat the weave now. And she would do it again and just right this time.

She let the gate close and made another one drawing every bit of Spirit she just could. It was stupid and dangerous with a Forsaken ruling the city but it would be just for this one moment. And she had to know. But no, the doorway was no bigger this time either no matter how she pushed and with bitter defeat she knew that this was the best she could ever do without linking. She released the weave and Saidar and tried to control her disappointment. This was her wedding day and nothing would ruin it, not even this clear proof of her inadequacy. And she could still Travel even if it would be a humiliation to walk through that tiny dog door on her knees and hands.

She cleared her throat and tried to force her voice to steadiness, to keep the irritation at herself and the crestfallen dissatisfaction out. The snapped bond threatened to overcome her too but she would not give in, she would not weep. She summoned the images of Con and their daughters, the happy moments spent with Con's family and the ceremony that would soon bind them as husband and wife. They were strong enough that the gloominess dissipated.

"Did you see? Isn't it exciting?" She managed to actually sound thrilled. Traveling changed the world, brought everything closer. So many possibilities. "Just Kit.. be careful when you channel in Illian. In fact, don't do it unless you absolutely must. I don't want to explain now but it is.... dangerous. Maybe you should go with Telcia to Ebou Dar and I could come visit you there, yes that would be safer." She didn't know if they would try anything with an unknown Aes Sedai in the city but she wouldn't risk Kit.

"And we should likely go soon. I am excited of course" she had to fight to keep the grin away "but I am also sad because I know that the other guests will be keeping me for the large part from you. I will be sure to introduce you to Helena, though. She has been in charge of the decorations, flowers mostly, and she really deserves thanks. The wedding house will look gorgeous. And you should see her gardens. Botany is her specialty." And her grounds were safe to channel at but that she wouldn't say. Ja'varan was a topic that would not be spoken of today.

"But Traveling... what will you do with it?" She laughed. "I will use it to as mundane things as shopping. And visiting libraries. So very handy." Even if she had to crawl through the doorway.

OOC: So what are the scores that you need to do the Traveling weave?

IC:

Nodding slightly, Kit watched as her mentor spoke of this newly discovered weave. She frowned at the mention of the Exile of her mentor... Just another reason not to return to the Tower in her mind. The thought of the Dragon and the Black Tower broke in to her mind and made her shudder, but the thought of Forsaken made her shudder more. She let but a small shiver slip at the mention of such. The dark thoughts were soon banished with the mention of Telcia's wedding gifts.

Excitement lit up in Kit's eyes as Arette offered to show her the weave. "I would love to see it! Do show me." She could see the warm glow surrounding the other woman as she wove the complex patterns of the Traveling weave. Her brow furrowed in concentration as she memorized the position of all the strands. To her surprise and delight, a silvery slit appeared and rotated out in to a small doorway.

Through the doorway was indeed another place, but suddenly trepidation filled her. That Portal Stone might have been a quicker way to travel...but that had been an unfortunate mistake that had cost her and Ragan a year out of the world. Shaking her head, she watched as Arette let the weave go. Her mentor pulled again and wove the threads, increasing the amount of Spirit that the weavve held, but the little portal wasn't much larger.

Arette cleared her throat and Kit smiled reassuringly, trying not to let the other woman feel any defeat on her wedding day. Not every woman was good with every weave. She herself was terrible at anything to do with Healing. She could barely make a bruise go away... "It is wonderful!" Grinning from ear to ear, she tried not to think that the Healing she was so bad at used a lot of Spirit as well...

An eyebrow raised at the mention of not Chanelling in Illian. What was it that she could not explain? Was there someone watching her? Was she in trouble. Kit resolved to keep an eye on her Mentor, not that Con wasn't equally capable of fighting off any negative influences in their lives. She hadn't Chanelled with any regularity in some time, as she was traveling as a woman, not as an Aes Sedai. "You must tell me what is wrong here when we get a chance. If it is bad for me to be here...then it must also be dangerous for you and the other Sisters you've mentioned." Concern filled her voice, but she let it drop as her Mentor moved on to another subject.

She waved her hand dismissively as she talked of the guests keeping the two of them apart. "A team of horses could not keep me from you now." Spontaneously, she reached over to embrace her Mentor in another quick hug. "It will be a pleasure to meet Helena, and I do look forward to her gardens. Angreal might have been my first love, but the gardening weaves were both frustrating and fascinating to me."

Kit cocked her head to the side in thought at what she would do with this new weave. "I think that I would like to visit many places... But after my recent experiences with that blasted Portal Stone... I don't know that I'll feel terribly comfortable using any sort of weaves to ease traveling for some time." She heaved a deep sigh at the thought of both all that they'd learned and all the time that she and Ragan had lost in some other place.

"That was the reason that I was missing for so long... And the reason that there was no way that I could send message to you, or you to me." She shook her head, staring down at her hands, momentarily fidgeting. "Ragan and I weren't quite in this world."

---------

Kit Deranin

Brown Sister

Bonded to Ragan Gaidin

Arette nodded severely when Kit picked up the topic of safety in Illian. Light only knew what the terrifying woman who had chosen Illian to be her base of operations would do and likely she had spies all over. Still, she hadn't acted yet and Arette was starting to get a false feeling of security; it was just impossible to live every day at the edge and expect an attack. But she and Kit would speak of this later and involve Telcia too.

Her face lit up again and she held close to her mentee when she leaned over to give her another embrace. It was so good to have her back. Kit had been like a daughter to her, and even if it paled a bit to carrying a child for nine months between your heart, she nonetheless loved the younger Brown sister. She nodded with a smile as Kit told of her interests but her next topic startled Arette to alertness. Kit had been using the Portal Stones. She was lucky to be back at all for no one knew anymore how to use them and might not have completely grasped the concept even in the Age of Legends.

"Thank the Light you made it back safe, Kit. That is all that matters so don't you apologise for anything. But now you just have to tell me at least something more or I will be left bristling with curiousity. Did you use them on intention? Were they anything like ter'angreal to use and what was it like? How closely did the world resemble this one?"

The two women, Mentor and Mentee, fell silent for a moment with the dim thoughts that sometimes followed a serious conversation, but nothing could repress that joy that the day held and they were soon on to more interesting subjects. Smiling, the red-haired woman shook her head at the other woman's question.

Kit herself hadn't known that she and Ragan were not in their world for some time. They'd camped near the Stone, woken up the next day and traveled on. She'd, of course, not been able to resist the curiosity to poke at it and inspect it, but Kit had never imagined it would have worked!

"I had heard that they were dangerous... We came through fine. I did not mean to use it as a traveling device. Indeed, I didn't even know that I had used it. For some time, the land on the other side looked as our own. I don't think that it sped our journey at all."

She shrugged lightly, shoulders rising and lowering, tousling the red curls that formed a blazing halo about her head. "Some ter'angreal are used unconsciously... For some time after Ragan and I had realized that we were not where we started, I tried to figure out what I had done to make it work. I couldn't think of what I had done to activate it! It was an unusual feeling for me, knowing my particular kinship with ter'angreal...I thought that's what a Portal Stone was... Now I'm not so sure."

Pausing to catch her breath, Kit hoped that she wasn't boring her mentor to death, but as they were both Browns, she was sure that Arette was filing all of the information away in her brain for analysis later. "The world was so like our own, but after a few days, Ragan and I noticed missing things in the peoples' topics of conversation. No mention of the Dragon, no mention of Aes Sedai... We could not question anyone, because we have been traveling in disguise for some time. Eventually, we decided to make our way back to the Tower to discover what might have happened. I was beginning to have a suspicion about where we were, then."

Her voice continued, soft, remembering something that seemed like a dream, "We came to the location of the Tower and it was not there... There wasn't even a city... There was only an island of tall trees. Making our way over to the island, we discovered that it was an Ogier grove. The Ogier there were very kind...and there was also another Stone there... The Ogier of that grove knew of its purpose and somewhat of its use. They allowed us to remain and revive ourselves for a few days and then helped us to travel home." Green eyes turned to meet her Mentor's. "I thank the Light that we were able to make it back here."

--------

Kit Deranin

Brown Sister

Bonded to Ragan Morsad

Arette leaned forward with keen interest and absorbed Kit's words. The world sounded very strange indeed as she found it hard to imagine a world that didn't have the Aes Sedai and the looming the Prophecy over its head. Maybe it was in another turning of a Wheel, a mirror of another Age entirely. She hadn't thought that to be even possible but then no one knew very much about the Portal Stones. It was most curious that there had been an Ogier grove in Tar Valon and that the island even existed. It had been created by Lews Therin Telamon when he killed himself so this Age had to be in their future. No one knew exactly what the steddings were and why it was impossible to channel there and this would be intriguing material to a Brown who made that subject their study. Seemingly worlds were not exact replicas of each others by geography but then land, even stedding locations, could change as the Breaking had proved.

"Fascinating, utterly fascinating. And frightening. I doubt that I could have kept my cool enough to focus on observing and seeing everything. Were you able to keep a diary? I know that it is very private but I would love to read it and discuss the experience with you if you are just comfortable going it through yet. The sooner the better since mind forgets. And I think that you should go and converse about this with the Ogier. They might have knowledge of something that they didn't even know they possessed."

OOC: I was making a *lot* of assumptions in that story Kit told you about the Portal Stones. If I need to rewrite anything, just tell me. (I totally forgot you couldn't channel in Groves... Maybe the stone was in an isolated spot slightly outside?)

IC:

It was difficult not to see that look in her Mentor's eyes... The look of the Brown that has become fascinated with a new subject. Kit knew that she would not be able to escape from Arette now, until the woman had every last snip of information dragged from her. Not that she'd have to drag. The red-headed woman was more than happy to tell her Mentor everything. Unlike some Aes Sedai, Kit had fully embraced the Three Oaths and often looked for a chance to tell the full truth of a matter rather than hiding it in misdirection and half-truths.

Kit nodded as the other woman commented on their travels, and as she prepared an answer. "It was indeed both! Though once we realized where we...weren't...it was most difficult to keep calm. Since I was a Novice, I've kept a record of most things that I learned. I did make notes while I was there. Not necessarily a journal...but I did make notes." She blushed slightly and had a sheepish look to her eyes. Kit knew she should have made better notes, but when faced with certain situations, some times what you should do was furthest from your mind.

"I hadn't thought about speaking with the Ogier here... Who knows the difference between the Ogier there and the Ogier here?" Her voice trailed off slowly, thinking of the possibilities. "Perhaps I should go speak with them. I enjoyed my one visit to the Stedding, despite the obvious discomforts for Channelers. They are a marvelous and kind people."

Lost for a moment in reminiscence, Kit popped back to reality. "Oh my goodness! We've been sitting here chatting away merrily as if there's no one waiting for you! Are you sure we have time to be speaking like this?" Whatever happened, she was sure that Con would not be overly mad if they were late, but she didn't want to interrupt any plans...

OOC: I shall be starting tonight you (Kit) and I another thread that is set to time after the wedding :) There we can talk more about Illian and Kit's and Ragan's relationship. If the post is not there for some reason, kick my ass and if you are generous enough, start the thread yourself.

Dee: James said that he is starting a new thread for Con & Ragan and I guess Telcia ends up there too :)

IC:

Kit hadn't promised that Arette could read her notes, but she was fairly certain she would be allowed to see them. She laid a comforting hand on her mentee's shoulder as she confessed how distressing the experience had been. She nodded in full agreement about the character of the Ogier. They were remarkable creatures, so patient and wise.

When Kit reminded them of the time again, Arette bit her lip uncertainly. She wanted so badly to spend more time with her mentee but she also couldn't wait for the ceremony and well... what came after that. Light, it had been over three years since they had last been together. It seemed like an Age ago and she was definately as much nervous as she was looking forward to it.

"You're right", she sighed. "We should go. But I promise that we will see each others soon after the wedding. Two days after at most. I will come to Ebou Dar if you decide to stay with Telcia or anywhere." They went to pick up Electra, Ilia and the rest of the women from the kitchen and Arette performed the quick introductions. She named Kit as her mentee and a woman who was like a daughter to her and she took pleasure at her slight delighted smile.

As the party of women made their way to the wedding house, Arette hurried her steps without even realising it. Inside she could hear some relatives tuning the instruments they were able to play. She didn't know that many Illianer folk dances yet but she was certain she would learn some tonight, maybe even from her husband. The thought brought an euphoric grin on her face. The warm air caused by many human bodies in the same space waved against her as she opened the door. The warehouse was packed with people but unerringly she found Con who had been waiting close to the entrance. Their eyes held and she rushed to him admiring his appearance. A relative had made him new good clothes and yes, he was wearing the flower wreath she had made for him. She adjusted it with a teary smile and whispered that he looked very handsome before taking his hand. He didn't reply with words but she knew him well enough to know that he was moved. She rejoiced at the admiring looks she received from him. The dress had been worth every penny.

The rest of the women came in too and surprisingly quickly people arranged themselves to the corners of the rooms and the the couple and other relevant personae took their places in the middle of the room. There were no Women's Circles or Wisdoms in Illian to officiate the marriage, in the Perfumed Quarters you just spoke the words in front of the relatives and it was done. But Arette had wanted to have a resemblance of the Circle and they had picked seven of Con's elder kinswomen to play the part and Electra naturally stood at the Wisdom's place in the middle of the arc that they formed. As Con and Arette knelt in front of the chosen women, Brandeis who stood for Con and Telcia who stood for Arette took positions behind them. Brandeis tucked the long red wedding ribbon around Con's neck and Telcia braided another one to the loose strands left out of Arette's coiffure. She could sense Telcia weaving the Keeping on it since the ribbons weren't to be taken off in the next ten days.

When that part of the ceremony was complete, Arette cupped Con's hands with a beatific smile. Her voice was strong and certain as she spoke the words she had practiced enough to know them backwards in her sleep. "I, Arette Nenatiar, do pledge you my love, Con Stavros, for as long as I live." And even after in all their rebirths. "What I possess in this world I give to you. I will keep and hold you, succor and tend you, protect and shelter you, for all the days of my life." So far it had all gone according to the official Andoran formula but she had felt like improvising a bit because the usual words just didn't seem enough. Anyone would name her more a practical than a lyrical soul but next she quoted an obscure love poem she had translated from the Old Tongue once.

"With this hand I will lift your sorrows." As she elevated his hand with her right one, with her left hand she reached for a silver goblet that Telcia was holding. She brought it to his lips, tipped it and waited him to take a sip before she continued. "Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine." Setting the goblet aside, she took a candle from Telcia and with a flicker of Saidar lighted it. It caused slight murmurs in the audience since it was a different thing to know that someone was a channeler than witness it with your own eyes. "With this candle, I will be your light keeping the darkness at bay. Your name will be the missing part of my name." From this moment on, she would be Arette Stavros not Nenatiar anymore. "I am yours, always and forever." There ended the poem but she had decided to add one more sentence to signal that it was Con's turn. "And with this ring, I ask you to be mine." The band had been already given but she caressed lovingly its smooth surface on his ring finger and gave him a bright smile accompanied with a slightest urging nod.

Con did not waver with his oaths either but he sticked to the traditional words. "I, Con Stavros, do be pledging you my love, Arette Stavros, for as long as I live..." The cheering began before he had finished and there were calls for a kiss. Laughing Arette and Con got on their feet and she didn't even care to adjust her dress before stepping to the ring of his arms and bringing her lips to eagerly meet his. She was surprised that she wasn't embarrased of such public display of passion but Con was her husband now and the groom was supposed to kiss the bride if maybe not quite as long and ardently as Con did. As a result her cheeks were flushed and she clung to him until he gently untangled her.

The music began and it was a cue to start dining. The least patient swarmed immediately to the tables carrying the delicatesses prepared with love by all the female guests according to family recipes. Keeping her arm wrapped around his as if to keep him from escaping, the newlyweds headed to their seats to receive the first congratulations and, for her, welcomes to the family.

Arette & Con

It was so wonderful, and oddly comforting, to be back her her old Mentor. The woman had been a mother to her when she'd had none. Smiling, Kit couldn't help but pour out her soul to Arette. She hadn't had such a confidant other than Ragan for years! But there were other things to consider for the moment.

"As soon as you can, we will get together. I'm sure Telcia's home is beautiful and I'm certain that Ragan will enjoy visiting with Iussi." Nodding, they both rose and took a moment to neaten themselves before Kit followed her Mentor in to the rest of the house. There were many introductions...so many, and the red-haired woman wondered if she'd be able to keep all of the new faces straight in her mind.

It wasn't a long walk to the wedding hall, and the entourage seemed to hurry as Arette's footsteps grew quicker. Kit couldn't help but hide her smile, it was the first time in an Age that she'd seen her Mentor so alight with joy. There was almost a rush of air from the intake of breath and the press of people as the door opened and her Mentor entered, radiant. Slipping from behind the wedding party, Kit found Ragan among the gathered peoples and made her way to him.

The people gathered spread to their perspective areas and watched as the wedding commenced. Kit hadn't been to many weddings and it certainly wasn't an area of expertise for her. She'd most likely never get married at this rate... It did seem to have a mostly Andoran feel... There were family gathered, words spoken, ribbons placed, wine sipped, candles lit, rings exchanged and a kiss. It was very beautiful and touching, and Kit couldn't help but let a pleased tear slip from one corner of her eye to be quickly pressed away with a handkerchief.

It seemed as though as soon as it had begun, the ceremony was over. As soon as Con and Arette's embrace was released, the band struck up a sweet tune and the food came out. Their new family crowded around, Kit moved herself further away from the press. She would have plenty of time to congratulate the newlyweds, and this was a time for their families to celebrate. Besides, it was quite a lot of fun watching the well-wishers and wedding guests as they swirled about the hall.

-----------

Kit Eriya Deranin

Brown Sister

bonded to Ragan Morsad

Ragan watched silent, stoic as one might expect a proper warder to be when standing at a ceremony of any kind. His image, his unbreaking stance, was a warning to anyone who would think of harming Kit that he would spare them no mercy ... and so even here, especially here and now, he could not manage more than a small light in his eyes for the happy couple.

As they spoke their oaths of faith, loyalty, and love he found that his own eyes drifted to their corners to glance at the fiery haired woman to his right. She was so happy, so resplendant in her garb... perfect. He ached to reach out to her, to touch her and share in this gift from the mother, this moment of peace; but he could not.

As they kissed and the crowd cheered Ragan stiffened, his back rigged and hard as a crashing tidal wave on the shores. The void filled him and he welcomed it's emptiness to hide his unspoken desires and denied urges.

As a borderlander, rejoicing in the small and precious moments of peace should have have been something he embraced with all his heart... but as a Gaidin, his duty was clear. He was at war. The world was at war. A man did not rest at war simply because there was a lull in the battle. Yet, he couldn't help but envy those who felt they could now. Con deserved this time. He'd earned it. The Light willing he too would see days of peace before the Mother's last embrace.

----------- Across the Room -----------

Telcia took Iussi's hand and gently stroked his soft skin with her thumb as the oaths were given between her Gaidin and her Sister. Con, even though she could not feel him through any weave of any sort, was happy and it was very clear she'd never seen him so alive.

Mouthing the oaths to her husband beside her, she shared a smile and a brief kiss with him as the people cheered for the bride and groom. The children bounced and cheered and all seemed right with the world.

For once in a very long time, the Shadow's tight fist grip on the world seemed leagues away and the Light reigned without question over her and her true family who were (at long last) together once more.

After a short time the toasting & light-hearted remembrances began. Telcia waited for a long while but eventually came a moment when things lulled and she tapped her glass. Rising smoothly beside her husband and food covered children, Telcia smiled at Con and Arette.

"The road has been long my brother... beloved sister but, the Light willing, we shall travel it together eternally as we assembled here today are... family." The crowd sounded various noises of agreement and happiness at her opening statement.

"The tales I could bring to this table are perhaps not as equally funny as some, I've never been known for my humor, but I will say this..." A mischievous smile, one straight out of her novice days, grows across her lips during her pause.

"I have never known any more stubborn, blind, bull-headed," The crowd laughed as she listed off a group of normally non-flattering descriptions which fit both of her dearest friends to a tea and then went quiet as her seriousness returned in a harsh change of tone, "self-less, honorable, courageous, strong, noble people in my life. The Light cut you both from the same cloth and your marriage is bound to be full of laughter, love, and likely a LOT more arguements."

She let's the crowd laugh, "But I doubt either of you would have the other any other way; such is the way of happy marriages." She looks to Iussi. "I know." She smiles, her heart painted on her face for all to see in a very un-Aes Sedai way.

She looks back to the two seated before her, "Let's just hope the Light burned the cloth after you two!" She laughs with the crowd this time, raising her glass. "TO THE BRIDE AND GROOM!"

"TO THE BRIDE AND GROOM!" The crowd responds. Cheers erupt around the room and glasses are raised as, once again, the music starts and people begin to dance.