DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Minorities in Randland

Anajon

IMO its just an unconscious decision of the author to not include "cripples" as a major part of the overall storyline. There is enough going on in randland not to feel it needful to include the sadder bits of humanity.

It may have even been conscious, It is referenced that many people go to the tower to ask for various things all the time. As well, you have the various Wise Women, Kin, and hedge women in the world that, while not exactly a unified front, seem to keep people on the up and up most of the time. It may well be that except for in times of turmoil, most people can find sufficient care, and anomalies are rare exceptions

It has always been one of my biggest Gripes about the white tower, that roughly 1500 women, with access to the One power. Spend the majority of their time cloistered within their tower, or consorting with nobility playing The Game of Houses.  Aes Sedai -- Servants of All

When i read the Topic, i thought it was going to be a discussion based on Race. I find it rather refreshing, if somewhat idealistic, that Colour of skin is never really brought up or used in slander. Discrimination based on country of origin is Rampant, but there are no "racial" lines.

Homosexuals in Randland.... I think Byar may come close. I'm sure homosexuality is rife, but hidden, like the "pillowfriends". The two you know of that cadsuane abducted screamed for days before they gave in and told them the truth. pillow-friends may be more obvious in the tower because, when you are a young, hormone driven, woman in a place where fraternizing with men is strictly forbidden.... well you work it out. I'm sure given a few years, pillow-friends will start showing up in the black tower.

As for cripples, Im sure there a some, quite a few, but cripples usually have 2 career choices, begging or sideshow freak, and neither have a major role to play in the story.

Ive been wondering as well, have the ogier from Seanchan survived and stayed clean of the Longing. After all, even a few years out of a Stedding can be detrimental to your health.

Homosexuals in Randland.... I think Byar may come close. I'm sure homosexuality is rife, but hidden, like the "pillowfriends". The two you know of that cadsuane abducted screamed for days before they gave in and told them the truth.

That the pair Cadsuane caught reacted in that way was because Shalon is married, and Ailil is...well, Cairhienin, ie so prude she would deny sleeping with her own husband, had she had any. Not because there would be any particular shame about just being gay. That seems quite accepted by most people.

Indeed. For one is was the breaking of marriage vows that kept her silent, and for the other it was speaking of any form of sexual encounter. Remember how shocked Cadsuane was that they went through all they did simply to conceal the fact that they were sleeping together, and later concider Shalon's regrets about the 'dainty Ailil'. It's all about how she regrets the danger it placed her in, not the feelings she had for Ailil.

Why do you think Byar might be gay?

Archived