DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Three on the boat

FarShainMael

I'm not sure how much we can take from Sweet's unfinished cover art. I know it's been said by Irene Gallo at Tor that "the scene depicts Min, Aviendha, and Elayne gathered on a battlefield around what is presumably a funeral pyre for Rand al’Thor" :

http://www.tor.com/b...of-light-sketch

But that could simply be her assumption - she already uses the word 'presumably' so it's not set in stone.

I think that if Min does die, for dramatic reasons it really should be before Rand goes to SG!

It's not an assumption. I thought this is well established but if it isn't, BS mentioned the actors in question by name at the Toronto signing I posted about recently. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to pin him down about whether or not Min's viewings always directly involve people she is viewing at the moment because I wanted to know about the viewing Min had of Rand in TOM where she sees the Two Rivers after the LB. I didn't tell him about the particular viewing I meant at first so he started guessing and asked if I meant the viewing with Min, Elayne and Avi sitting around Rand's body. I said I didn't and we moved on. The only viewing he could have meant was of three women before a pyre from tGS.

I didn't post about it because he promised a follow up.

"The lion sword, the dedicated spear, she who sees beyond. Three on the boat, and he who is dead yet lives."

"Melaine and Bair dreamed of you on a boat with three women whose faces they could not see, and a scale tilting first one way then the other.

Gonna put my 2 cents down on this. I don't think there's more to Nicola's foretelling than the obvious. To my mind its Elayne, Aviendha and Min in the boat with the Dragon Reborn. Being someone reborn sure counts as having died yet lives in my book.

As for the dreamwalkers tale, I believe this is about Rands moment atop dragonmount, where his bond to Elayne, Aviendha and Min make him come down lightside, where LTT says "so we can love again". I believe that Rand would have been darkside if not for his 3 sniffers

I've always thought of the Two Rivers themselves as being England/Wales, with their longbows.

I always thought of the Two Rivers as colonial America, what with them not feeling like part of Andor, the rebellion by the reluctant leader, world renowned tobacco, and RJ's comment that he lives in the Two Rivers.

That seems too simplistic, Rubberninja. While it could certainly be that the three lovers are on the boat (that certainly seems most obvious), I'm not sure about the supposition that being reborn counts as having died yet living. Otherwise all HotH would be that and it wouldn't be specific to the Dragon. I think there is too much evidence pointing towards Rand's death/TAR imprisonment and rebirth/freedom to make it that basic.

I'm not sure how much we can take from Sweet's unfinished cover art. I know it's been said by Irene Gallo at Tor that "the scene depicts Min, Aviendha, and Elayne gathered on a battlefield around what is presumably a funeral pyre for Rand al’Thor" :

http://www.tor.com/b...of-light-sketch

But that could simply be her assumption - she already uses the word 'presumably' so it's not set in stone.

I think that if Min does die, for dramatic reasons it really should be before Rand goes to SG!

It's not an assumption. I thought this is well established but if it isn't, BS mentioned the actors in question by name at the Toronto signing I posted about recently. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to pin him down about whether or not Min's viewings always directly involve people she is viewing at the moment because I wanted to know about the viewing Min had of Rand in TOM where she sees the Two Rivers after the LB. I didn't tell him about the particular viewing I meant at first so he started guessing and asked if I meant the viewing with Min, Elayne and Avi sitting around Rand's body. I said I didn't and we moved on. The only viewing he could have meant was of three women before a pyre from tGS.

I didn't post about it because he promised a follow up.

(emphasis mine)

I really would like to see what BS said, exactly. But I must point out that the viewing was of three women before a pyre , not three in a boat. They don't necessarily have to be the same three. In Arthurian lore, none of the 'three queens' in the boat was Arthur's wife, Guinevere.

ETA: It's curious that Min does not identify those three women, even to herself.

I was talking about the unfinished AMOL cover art which had had 3 girls around Rand's body on a pyre, not about three on a boat.

And I thought I described the relevant conversation with BS in Toronto in good detail. What more would you like to know about it? as I said above he started guessing which viewing I meant and asked if I meant the one with Min, Avi and Elayne around Rand's body.

I'd like a direct quote, not an interpretation. It's always preferable to get the original where possible.

Three girls round a pyre v. three on a boat.. There has been some confusion about this in earlier threads. When I first suggested that the three in Nicola's foretelling need not be the obvious three, one or two people pointed me at the link to DKS' unfinished cover art, saying that this tended to confirm that the 'three on a boat' were indeed Rand's women, and that they had been named as such. I wished to show that this was not the case. (They may be Rand's women, but that cover does not confirm it.) Even if they were, they need not have been the ones on the boat! My bad, I should have made that more clear.

as I mentioned in the other thread I didn't have a recorder so paraphrasing is the best I can do. but again, he asked if I meant Min's viewing about Min, Avi and Elayne around Rand's body. I remember that very well. Don't see anything open to interpretation here.

Archived