DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Entwined Threads

Wayfarer

Obedience.

That was what it meant to be damane. A leashed one, one who surrendered their will for the greater good of the Empire. A risk to all those around them yet at the same time a source of miracles and wonders when harnessed for the right purposes. Damane were possessed of many skills beyond their ability to channel, talents as it were that made them apt at certain applications of the One Power. Some could sense metals in the earth, some could make those with one foot in the grave whole again, and still there were others who could shatter armies singlehandedly.

Regardless of their talents or abilities, they were the most prized slaves one could find. So prized that the Imperial throne owned all of the damane. Well, all but a few. There were occasions were the Imperial Throne did not claim ownership of a damane, or they required funds and would sell one of their own off in order to fill their coffers quickly. Sometimes the weakest were sold, the least desirable or those that did not please their mistresses. Such displeasure was often marked with punishments that would have made those an Ocean away shudder at the cruelty of such a thing.

But it was not cruel to punish an animal, it was simply another way of taming a beast. Punishments could range from a flogging to disfigurements and amputations, and that was not even giving consideration to things that could be done with the One Power. Such damane fetched low prices when they were sold because as prized as they were, such marks revealed a damane's unruliness or inability to perform as was required of them. In any property that would be a concern, but with damane and the powers at their command it was a dangerous risk to take.

These were things that all those present in the auction house were aware of as they sat in their gilded seats. A small room, it was nevertheless full with potential buyers and spectators who had come to witness and perhaps bid on the item that was being brought forth today. A rare occasion it was, the sale of a damane.

Not that the damane knew why she was being sold or what price she would fetch. In fact, she had no care at all as she was led up to the stage and presented before all those present. Pristine, elegant, there were no marks upon her to suggest she had was intractable. Five feet in height and of athletic build, her dark hair fell no farther than her jaw. Yet there was something different about her that only a trained eye would have realised. Damane were well trained to behave in public, yet their eyes were still questioning of what was about them, childish curiosity matching the infantile personalities they had been shaped into.

In this damane's deep green eyes there was nothing.

The auction house. Of all places that she had ever thought to buy power, it would not have been her first choice. Of course, until her father's death, her fortune had not been quite so well endowed. She took a deep breath as she looked around, making eye contact with those of her own station and though she was careful not to so the same with her betters, she was grateful to see that there were few of those. The bidding might have gone higher with more people of fortune there. Still it all depended on the girl that would be brought before them.

Ikena Adelar was not about to spend her money on a show piece that everyone would want. Ikena was looking for a rare treasure, a rough stone that she could chip away at slowly and surely until the right layers began to shine through. Of course, her choices were limited. It wasn't everyday that a precious opportunity like this presented itself. She had been two only two others in the three years since her father's death and had yet to find exactly what she was looking for, or more to the point, something she could make into exactly what she was looking for.

Ikena wasn't like the other girl's who came to these things. She wasn't some spoiled rich child who simply wanted a pet. She had spent her time training, working hard to earn her place. Now, she had the chance to make a purchase that would set her among a select view. Sul'dam who actually owned their own damane.

The damane that was paraded before them though was beyond Ikena's imagination. She had expected some young girl, old enough to fight against another's rule and yet young enough to be new to the leash. She was started to see the age in the woman and yet, there was something about the way she stood, something that spoke of pure and absolute obedience. Something that spoke of a beaten and tortured thing. Ikena understand that, perhaps more than any other in the room she understood it. She was trained to break damane if need be. She didn't like doing it that way, though she knew others that prefered it.

As she watched the damane before her, her mind began working, twisting and bending her image of this creature to see if it would fit in the scheme she had planned for herself.

dmikena.jpg

"Good evening everyone."

The man who spoke was clothed in fine blue silk, embroidered with golden lions and studded with pearls along the hems. The owner of the establishment, while he was not a member of the blood he commanded tremendous influence and respect in his own right. A procurer of fine, exquisite, not to mention quite rare commodities, the service he provided earned him immense honour. With that came an easy confidence that he now used as he addressed those gathered for the day.

"While many goods and slaves have been upon this stage, this is the first time in thirty years that a damane has graced it. But, this is no ordinary damane that has been brought before you. As you are all aware, damane are retrained so that they are much simpler, eager to please much in the way that a favoured hound wishes to retain the good opinion of their master. Despite this training, they are still capable of thinking for themselves, they retain a basic curious nature that may easily lead to any sort of trouble without being closely watched. But, if you would observe..."

A nod was all it took for the sul'dam who had led the damane onto the stage to unleash the damane. It was a calculated risk, not on the part of the damane going wild, but on how the buyers would receive it. The damane did not even stir, as still as before, seemingly unaware of the world around her. "... she does not even react. We have tested this, she will fall to the ground unconscious before she will take one step away. That isn't to say that she will not respond without the leash."

The sul'dam had walked away a dozen paces and told the damane to come to her. Obediently, the damane turned to the sul'dam in a precise manner and with almost delicate steps approached and stopped a foot away. There was no resistance as she submitted to the collar again, not even a twitch.

"As you can see, this damane is perfectly obedient. Not only that, but malleable. She has no character traits of her own, nor even a name, she may be shaped as is wished. This, as you all undoubtedly can appreciate, is a rarity amongst damane. While I set no minimum price, for any item is only as valuable as the price those of you are willing to pay, I would ask you to bear this in mind."

"Who shall begin?"

Ikena watched as the damane was brought forward and shocked to see her unleashed. A part of her wanted to scream at the auctioneer for his audacity, but it all died on her lips as the damane didn't flinch. She didn't move. She only believed she continued breathing because she could see the small rise and fall of her chest. The damand didn't react at all to being freed. The reaction was... surprising... to say the least. Those long on the leash normally became fearful and upset when unleashed while those new to it reacted wildly.

Broken, the word came to mind again, as the damane was called and she went to her leash without question. There was no spark of life in the creature, only absolute obedience. It went against her training to see something so completely devoid of emotion. A good damane obeyed, but she could fight when need be. If unleashed she should fight to get back to it, to get back to her master who kept her safe and whole.

The bidding began around her and she listened even as she pondered the damane's fate. A broken mess, a yet something about her called to Ikena. Something made her want to take the chance and purchase this damane. She had seen others in better shape that would take less work, but they hadn't pulled to her like this. If she could bring something of the damane's personality back, there would be undieing devotion to her, something that no amount of training would inspire. It was that thought that brought her completely back to the bidding.

The bidding was down to two women and it had slowed considerably when she nodded her head to the auctioneer, indicating her own bid. The two women were startled, having thought they were all but done, but Ikena simply kept her face forward, watching the damane being sold. Trained eyes carefully picked her over as bidding went up, eyeing the womans body for signs of weakness, watching her slight movements and shifts for anything that might convey injury. Nothing. Her face was pretty and for some reason she thought this woman might have been a sweet child to someone long ago.

The hammer came down and she almost missed the point of it. The auction was done. She had won her prize! She nodded to the other woman politely as if squaring off in battle, but she didn't pay them any more heed as the auctioneer approached. "I will need a closer look at the damane before you get your coin." She said as she walked closer to the block. "No doubt your merchandise is everything you say, but I would inspect her now, if you will?"

He agreed instantly and as the damane was swept aside for the next piece up for bid Ikena followed her.

dmikena.jpg

There was no reaction from her at the sound of the gavel, or as she was led away by her sul'dam. Such things were momentary, and they didn't last long within her conscious mind. One moment she stood before many in a large room, the next she stood before a pair, a man and a woman. She was silent as they poked and prodded, moved her this way and that, her eyes fixed downward. She waited and did as she was told, oblivious to the words being spoken by the man.

"As you can see, she is in fine condition. She bears no marks of punishment upon her body, all her digits and limbs are still with her. In fact, her record of service as far as I am aware is exemplary, not one single behavioural problem. But of course, it is hard for a damane to do so when no behaviour exists. I would offer you further information but none is available, I was only told what was necessary to facilitate the auction."

Ikena nodded to the auctioneer as they completed the transaction. She had not really doubted his integrity. In fact the name of the auction house had come from a very respectable family friend who would not have led her astray. Still it was always best to check things out for one's self. And there were few that she would trust with a damane. Many women trained to wear the bracelet, but among them Ikena trusted only a handful. She had witnessed too many things among her fellow trainers to ever be entirely comfortable around some of them. It was said that to judge a person you should watch how they treated their inferiors.

Though they may only be pets, even damane should have some rights and it was amazing how often that belief set her at odds with her peers. A pet deserved to know it would always be fed and kept clean and safe. A pet should fear it's master's displeasure, but never be the brunt of her anger when she was not the cause. She handed over the coin as she took the bracelet from the woman who had brought her into the auction. She gave the damane a smile. "I am your master now. You may call me Mistress Ikena unless you displease me. Do you understand?" She asked.

An instruction from a leash holder, that was something that pierced the damane's disregard for what was around her. The leash holder's words were all that were important, those words were her words. "Yes, Mistress Ikena." There was no joy or fear in service, nor could one be proud if one had no sense of self. It simply was.

Ikena pursed her lips and she watched the damane's reaction to her words. The leash was in hand still and she decided it was time claim her damane for good. Claim her! By the light she owned her own damane! There weren't many people in the Empire that could claim to own a damane, outside of the blood of course. The Emperor, may he live forever, owned almost all of them. She was taking a gamble on this purchase and she hoped it would pay itself off in the long run.

"There, now we really must be going." She said as she snapped the bracelet onto her wrist. "You and I have much to see to tonight..." She stopped then, with no name to call the damane. "Do you have a name damane?" She asked. "Or was he right that you have none?"

"Damane, Mistress Ikena." There had been different references to her. The one which was used most often was Damane, so that was the closest thing she had to a name. People bore names, she was not burdened with such a thing because she was not a person. An tool has no identity, it has no name and only a purpose in much the same way a hammer serves to drive nails into wood, yet would not be deserving of an individual name.

Ikena frowned. "Well I will not call you damane all the time." She paused in thought. "You seem like you would have been a good child." She said, watching the damane's face as she did so. Something about the look of her eyes or perhaps the set of her cheekbones, the fullness of lips, something said sweet to her.

"Chalinda." she said with a smile as she finally found what she was looking for. "You will be my Chalinda, my sweet girl. Come now, my Chali. We must get you home and see to a proper bath and bed for you tonight."

Chalinda... So that was to be her name now, as it was the will of Mistress Ikena it was her will. There was nothing good or bad in the name, simply a change of status. Before she had no name, now she did. Chalinda she would respond to now. Following Mistress Ikena's lead, Chalinda followed obediently with an even pace the neither faltered nor tired, it simply was. As she was.

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chalinda

Damane

There was little fuss as they made their way back to Ikena's home, a comfortable home with all the ammenities she could ask for. A room had been prepared and waiting for the damane long before tonight, though it had been aired and cleaned by her servants. Nothing too grand, but it would be obvious to any that a pampered pet lived there. She had stables in the back with another small room in case she needed it for the damane, a reminder of where she belonged, but she hoped that the creature wouldn't need it. Her Chalinda would take to her training she hoped, indeed she had wagered a small fortune on it. Hers to wager, much to her eldest brother's chagrin, she thought with a smile, but it was worth the risk if it paid off.

As they entered the house, her people rushed forward eager to serve and yet just as eager to see the new purchase. They kept their eyes down as should be, but she could tell from the way they responded that they were excited. She thought about calling them out on it, but it would give Chali the thought that she was a cruel mistress and she needed to gain her trust before they could begin with her real training. Besides, her servants were well aware of how she had spent her fortune and they all knew that if this paid off, they would all be better off themselves. She had a small household now, but with the honors she hoped to receive with her damane, she would be able to move up in the world. Her worthy servants would find themselves ordering others around, instead of doing all the work themselves.

She let them hustle around her and when she called for a bath she gave a smile of appreciation as she found they had anticipated her need. They ran off to have the water poured in the tub and she took Chalinda off to her new room.

She took her up the flight of stairs and pointed to the room at the end. "This is my bedroom. You will be in here." She said, reaching for the doornob. The door opened up to a fairly large room for hre pet. A soft bed sat in the corner with a dresser to the side. A small table sat on the other side with a candle for light. The room was painted a soft green and the blankets were a slightly darker shade, something that seemed calming and refreshing to Ikena. She believed in building loyalty in her damane, not fear as some others did.

"What do you think of you room Chalinda?" She asked, smiling at the damane to her side.

dmikena.jpg

It was the direct question that returned Chali to the moment. There had been a bustle and people around them, and now there was only her and her leash holder, Mistress Ikena. A question. What did she think of the room? There was only a single response that she could give, as she only had one thought. In a manner of speaking. "I don't, Mistress Ikena." There was no malice in the words that might have come from another scorning the room. There was nothing there at all, the room simply was, it was where she was, there was no need to think on it.

Ikena pursed her lips again in thought at the damane's words. They must have beaten her down far worse than she had originally thought. She wanted her damane to accept what she was given, but who appreciated it as well. Loyalty could not be won from someone who refused to recognize what you did for them. "We will work on changing that my sweet girl." She said. "You will come to think for me. I will want that precious mind of yours to help me in the days to come. You will think on this for me and when you remember it, you will tell me. What is your favorite color?"

She didn't wait for an answer as she walked out of the room and down the other way. The bracelet insured Chalinda would follow. Her servants bowed out as soon as she entered the bathing room, steaming from the hot water. "My buttons please Chali?" She said as she turned around and pulled her hair out of the way.

Following obediently, Chali couldn't say that a favourite colour was coming to mind at all. There was no favourite colour, people had favourite colours because they could think, since she wasn't a person she could not think. Heeding the instruction she was given, Chali carefully by surely undid each button and when she had reached the last one her hands fell to her sides. She had been asked to help with the dress, nothing more. A sky blue dress, that didn't seem to be it.

Ikena looked over her shoulder and smiled. "Thank you Chalinda. It is time for a bath now." She said, stepping out of her clothes and into the warm bath water. "Come, join me for a bath Chali. We will start to know one another tonight."

Stripping with measured movements, as if she had been taught the precise manner in which to do so, Chali stood both naked and completely uncaring. There was no self consciousness because there was no self. Taking the step up, she placed a leg in the water and lowered herself slowly, carefully. Eyes still averted downward, all she could see was water before her. Silent, unmoving, she waited for further instruction. Or perhaps it would have been more accurate to say she simply waited.

Ikena watched the girl move with an appraising eye. There was grace there and agility. She was well muscled, not having been overly pampered before. Ikena took a small bowl from a stand on the side and dipped it in the water. She pulled Chali close and turned her around. "Let's get you cleaned up my pet." She said as she slowly poured warm water over the damane's hair, careful to keep it from going in her face. "You and I have much to do togther Chalinda. I have spent a great deal of money to bring you hear. I will treat you well, as long as you behave as you should." She said.

"I am a fair Mistress, you have no need to fear me Chali." She continued to use the name. The girl had no identity, no self. She was going to change that. At least she could get the damane to learn her name well. "In the morning we will go out to my training yards and we will see what we can do together, you and I." she said, running her fingers through the damane's hair as she cleaned it.

Stepping forward and then turning about as she was directed, the words that her leash holder spoke were accepted if not pondered. Cleaning, money, treated well as long as one behaves. These things and more simply filtered through, there was nothing right or wrong about what was said, nothing that offended or brought joy. Training, that was something she knew, but that was not now so it didn't matter. Nothing did, except to obey.

The damane didn't seem to register anything. There was no need to please, but no fear either. Nothing. She did as told, but nothing else. She didn't seem to feel anything either. Ikena decided to try another tactic. She found the soap and lathered her hands up, beginning to work on the creature's back. There was a tattoo on her left shoulder of a Golden Hawk with three lightening bolts. Her other shoulder has a pair of dao, crossed and slanted downwards. She worked the muscles between her hands, trying to relax her, but it seemed like there was no tension to work out. "You have interesting markings. Tell me about them." She said in a calm voice.

The tattoos, markings that she had upon her back but she did not know why. Maybe she did once, but no longer, and there was very little Chali could tell Mistress Ikena about them. "One is a Golden Hawk with three lightnings bolts, Mistress Ikena, the Imperial sigil. The other is of a pair of Dao, crossed downward."

"And why is that tattoed on your shoulder Chalinda?" she asked.

"I do not know, Mistress Ikena." They simply were, much like everything else.

That comment worried her more than anything else she had seen. It was always possible that the damane was playing a game to keep her Mistress from learning anything, but it was almost impossible to keep that much emotion from her with the leash on. Which meant the damane had been stripped of her memory. Oh, it was there, buried somewhere, but she had no recall of it, a survival tactic, she thought.

She wished she knew where the damane had come from so she could chastize her previous owner. No one should treat their pets this way. "I see. We will have to work on that as well then my Chali." She said as she found a jar of scented oil. She put a drop in her hands and began working it into Chali's hair. "How does that feel Chali?" She asked. "Do you like that? Is this scent pleasing to you? Did you former Mistress take care of you like this?"

"I feel it, Mistress Ikena." That was the only answer that Chali could think of, she felt it but it was simply there. The next thing that came to mind was something that came from rote, something that had always been. "There is no like or dislike, Mistress Ikena." There was a pause in the movement through her hair as Chali answered the last question in the same distant inflection. "She did at first, Mistress Ikena."

"But she did not always." She said, her mind noting the lack of opinion but simply filing it away with her other reactions. Or lack there of. "What happened that she stopped?"

The answer to that came to Chali soon enough. "She said that it was a waste of time to do so, Mistress Ikena."

"She was wrong Chali." Ikena said as she continued working on her hair. "A good damane should always be rewarded for her service. A damane and her Mistress should be very close. You will learn to anticipate what I need, and I will learn how to take care of you. We will work together Chali, you and I."

"Yes, Mistress Ikena." It was her place to serve.

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chalinda

Damane

• 3 weeks later...

The sun was barely peeking through the morning sky as Ikena sat quietly watching the colors that slowly turned from dark black to orange red and eventually a rich gold color that threatened to turn to full light any moment. She sipped her kaf on the porch of her estate, looking over the training fields. She'd been up far earlier than normal today, thinking of what to do with her new purchase. In fact, she had barely slept at all the night before and only her determination to be well rested had given her any rest at all. She had laid in bed or what felt like hours before sleep had come and then it had been thrown aside quickly when she woke, her mind racing with how to begin training with her Chalinda.

It was an interesting case, someone broken so completely. If she couldn't cure her of the complete mindlessness she would still be a good damane, one that would be trusted with anything you told, but she was hoping to find some personality underneath it all. Something that would give them something to build on. She didn't just want a damane that followed orders. If she was interested in that sort of training there were lesser beasts that she could have bought instead. No, what she wanted was the ability to train the girl to anticipate her needs, to understand what was happening, to understand what it was they were working towards.

She took abother sip of kaf, a rare endulgence for herself. She heard movement behind her and found one of her servants behind her. "It is ready Mistress." She said, her eyes on the floor as she spoke.

Ikena nodded though the other woman couldn't see it. Still, she knew her Mistress well and she walked away silently to leave Ikena a few more moments to think about the days course. She stood up then and made her way back inside and to the damane's quarters. she didn't bother knocking, but simply went into the room.

"Good morning Chalinda. Did you sleep well in your new room?" she asked in a pleasant voice.

She, Chali that was because that was her new name, was sitting at her bed when her mistress spoke to her. She could not have said how long she had been waiting, but she knew to have herself readily available if required. Such things she remembered because they had been ingrained into her. She was to be ready and presentable for her sul'dam from the moment she woke up. Wearing the clothes of yesterday because she had not been designated another dress, her leash which was still firmly attached seemed more part of her than another piece of clothing. But then, she was damane.

"I slept, Mistress Ikena." Her eyes averted low and her voice empty, she fell silent as she waited for further direction. She was there to serve, that was her purpose and that was all that mattered.

Ikena nodded as stepped out of the room and pulled a stack of clothes from a table outside the door. She brought them in and laid them on the bed beside Chali. It was what she had been waiting on. A few items that had been loosely taylored to the damane's figure by her servants last night who had sized her up as she had come in. "A gift to you, my Chali, a reward for being ready for me this morning and for the work we are preparing for today. Please, pick what you like and dress quickly. I will wait outside for you." She said, pausing only a moment before stepping out of the room and letting the damane have a little privacy.

Like? There was no like, but she was required to dress quickly and that was something Chali understood. Shedding her clothing even as her mistress left, Chali quickly donned the garment that came closest to hand. A simple grey dress with blue lining, she barely noticed it as she slipped it on and made her way outside. Closing the door behind her due to practice rather than care, she waited for further instruction.

"Come along Chali. We mustn't dally. We have a lot of work to do today. First, we shall start with some physical training. Then I think when we have seen what you can do we'll move on to see what you are able to do with the One Power." She said as she walked. She found most damane, though cursed with the ability to touch the One Power, were more apt to work harder and faster if they knew they could touch the Source when done. It was a hard thing to understand, as one who held the leash, but she had always tried to be understanding to the damane and her ability to train even the hardest had been noticed. In fact, she was thinking that she would have to have a get together soon to introduce her new posession to her circle of friends so they would be able to see the transformation by the time she was done.

That brought a smile to her face as they arrived at the training grounds. And because she trained damane for the Battlefield and would be expected someday to be there herself, she was going to take her strides with the damane this morning. "Alight Chali, we need to work you into shape. We'll run laps first. Just keep up and don't over do it. And tell me if you need to stop or slow down."

Running, that was an activity that Chali was familiar with and was more than capable at performing. They ran clockwise, and as they did so Chali made sure to remain to the left and slightly behind Mistress Ikena at all times. The Mistress as a result had less track to cover than she had and longer legs to go with it, but Chali's measured strides were easily able to keep up. Even breaths, even movements, every step seemed identical to the last and Chali had no need to stop as they continued their circuit.

After a couple trips around, Ikena called a halt, walking another circuit to keep her muscles loose. She wasn't in bad shape herself but she could tell from the damane's movements that she was in better shape than her owner. In that she had already known she had made a good purchase. Physically the girl was in good shape. It was really a question now of what she could do with the power. But she wasn't ready for that just yet.

As they walked she looked at the girl beside her. Woman really, but with her mentality she was little more than a child that needed to be cared for and babied. "Now I want something more from you Chali. I want you to talk to me. I don't care what you talk about, but as we walk this next round, I want to hear your voice." It was simply to get her talking and Ikena hoped she followed this order as well as she had the others.

Talk? Talk about what? Damane did not have opinions, they did not have feelings, they did not have will. What could she possibly offer her mistress if she had nothing to give? Mistress Ikena wanted to hear her voice, it did not matter what was spoken of. So as it came time for her to talk, Chali began to count each step she took in a voice void of care or feeling, it was a report of what she was doing, nothing more.

It was... creative. Ikena knew better than to expect anything personal about the girl. She'd had enough experience with the more beaten down damane and even if she'd never seen one as bad as Chali, she had seen them in bad states before. Normally when she asked for them to talk they asked what to discuss. Or they panicked. It was something. Not a lot, but something.

A smile curved her lips as they finished the walk around the track and she stopped as they reached the front again. "That was very well done Chali." She said as she directed her to a table that held water for them. She took a seat and indicated Chali should do the same. "Drink up so you don't get ill." She said, not certain just yet that the girl would reach for the glass without instruction. "When you are ready let me know and we will begin our work with the One Power." She said as she took a long drink from her own water glass.

Taking only two mouthfuls of water from the glass, Chali delicately placed the glass on the table. There was no need to wait any longer than that, she was her mistress' instrument and that was her role. For that role she had to always be ready, regardless of her own situation because that was unimportant. "I am ready, Mistress Ikena."

Ikena took a few extra drinks as she watched Chali wait for her. "Alright. So we need to start slow Chali." Ikena said a she leaned forward. "I don't want you to do anything with it, but I want you to hold the source. I want to see how much you can hold at once."

Opening herself to the source, it was with a precision that came from much practice that she filled herself with the power to the brim. Not in a hasty grab, but a simple submission to the power in the same way that she submitted to her mistress, with emptiness. Senses were sharper, everything was that much more clearer, yet at the same time remained irrelevant. The only thing that was relevant was her mistress' directives, and it was those she now waited for silently.

Ikena waited until she could feel the Power through the girl, could tell that she was holding it and waiting for her orders. Ikena smiled at the girl. "Very good. Now, let's see what sort of strength you have. See the water trough? I want to see what you can do with that. Show me three different things Chali."

Turning to the water trough as she was directed, Chali found herself with the choice of what to do. Yet there was no inventiveness on her part, she simply recalled the last three weaves she had been asked to perform. A gust of air overturned the water trough, water spilling onto the ground, a blade of air followed and split the trough in twain. The water that escaped from this was shortlived as it was swept with flames, reducing it and the nearby grass to ashes.

Interesting, if not what she had expected. She looked at the girl, an assessing eye. The weaves were all violent by nature and that said something of her past to Ikena, though nothing that her nature didn't already reveal. Still, if she had learned violent weaves in the past, perhaps she had seen battle. She sensed it was too early to ask about that sort of thing though. Instead she looked at the field. "Three tricks that you can work on the earth now Chali. The earth. No cheating like the last time. Work only on the earth."

Chali's reaction was immediate as Mistress Ikena's words came to her, she was to work three weaves on the earth. A good thirty feet away the earth erupted in rock and flame only to be struck by a fireball that followed a moment later. More sinister was the third weave that Chali began to work, the skies slowly beginning to darken above as she began to summon a storm to strike the earth with.

Ikena got up from her seat and looked up at the skies over head. "You seem to work well with the weather." Ikena said, forgetting her momentary irritation at the girl as she thought of something else. "Show me skylights."

Leaving the storm to build unattended, new weaves appeared in the air far above in the sky. Fire blossomed in the heavens of every colour with each flower of light punctuated with a loud boom which rolled across the city. Moving on from simply flowers, images began to appear in the sky of creatures and men, different designs that she had been forced to replicate in the past. As she unleashed the lights in the sky, she was beginning to feel tired, but tiredness was irrelevant. She would stop when she was instructed to do so.

The brillance of the display left her astounded, almost to the point that she missed the telltale signs in her new purchase. The flowers continued to bloom and were passed into other things. When she looked back at the damane, she could see something different about the way she stood. The tiredness came to her then and she shook her head at her own silliness. Oh, she would get her money back on this one, if all she did was hire her out for sky lights, but it was no excuse to put the child to poor use.

"That is enough Chalinda." She said, coming over to stroke the girls hair softly. "You have done very well and I am pleased. I want you to remember that Chali. You have pleased me by doing what I have asked. You should pay attention to what pleases me and you will remember so that you may do it again. Do you understand me Chali?" she asked in a kind voice.

"Yes Mistress Ikena." While her leash holder could feel that Chali was tired, one would not have been able to tell from the voice. Still as a statue at Mistress Ikena's touch, she was storing the order away that she had been given. To pay attention to what pleased her leash holder and remember. Even as this occured, she could feel another power rising up and dispersing the storm she had summoned, but that was of no import. Instead, she waited once more, ready for further commands.

Ikena nodded and began walking back to the house. She always felt a need to bathe after working with the damane when the held the One Power. It was a step too close to being the one in the leash sometimes and today was no different. She felt Chali following behind her as they walked the halls. Her servants had seen the display and they knew their Mistress well. Ikena was very good at rewarding her staff for their attention and today she found her bath ready for her before she had to ask for it.

She smiled as she noted the array of oils and scented soaps that were displayed. So, they thought her damane had done well on her first day, did they? She looked at Chali as she hung the bracelet on the peg beside the tub. "Come Chali. You did well. Let us clean up and rid ourselves of the taint we carry. Food will be ready soon and I would have you presentable."

Presentable, yes. After that display word would travel like wildfire through the city and she expected to have a full house tonight. Yes, the would be presentable tonight and soon enough they would be the talk of the Empire.

Ikena Adelar

Sul'dam

Chalinda

Damane

dmikena.jpg