DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Important Out of Book things

So, I tend to come back to WoT theorycrafting every time I reread the series and then drift away again. This leads to me missing alot of the interview questions and such that come around in the gaps. So I was wondering if people would be kind enough to post your favorite "Important things that aren't in the books". I know there are lots, but the lists of interviews on Theoryland et al. are intimidating and I would like some of you knowlegable people to filter out the dross for me/anyone like me if that is appropriate.

Things like 'The Black Tower is built of Shayol Ghul rock' is important to know if you want to partake in discussions here and it is hard for new/returning people to find this without reading alot and sifting through it as much as the people who are more dedicated did when it first came out.

So, I tend to come back to WoT theorycrafting every time I reread the series and then drift away again. This leads to me missing alot of the interview questions and such that come around in the gaps. So I was wondering if people would be kind enough to post your favorite "Important things that aren't in the books". I know there are lots, but the lists of interviews on Theoryland et al. are intimidating and I would like some of you knowlegable people to filter out the dross for me/anyone like me if that is appropriate.

Things like 'The Black Tower is built of Shayol Ghul rock' is important to know if you want to partake in discussions here and it is hard for new/returning people to find this without reading alot and sifting through it as much as the people who are more dedicated did when it first came out.

I can understand the intimidation thing, but there's really too much of it to properly summarize. The reason I made the database in the first place was because that out-of-book factor was always present in the discussions, but without a database holding them all together, it was downright chaotic trying to find out where these interviews even were. So your disadvantage is a little difficult to relate to for those of us who have had to do it the hard way. :tongue:

Anyway, the list of interviews itself is indeed quite intimidating, but have you tried the tags? That's probably the best way to get to know the interviews, really, especially if there is something in particular you'd like to discuss. But until then, you're just going to have to accept the fact that, as a newcomer (or come-againer), you're at something of a disadvantage when trying to discuss with people who are familiar with the interviews.

Way too many to list, and it wouldn't do much good listing a few, as many of them relate to other questions asked out of book. I would reccommend doing what Terez suggests, she has built up a great database which has helped many out, could at least give her the credit and visit it!

The tag system as mentioned is fairly easy, and if you are searching for a specific reference, the Ctrl F find bar always helps narrow it down. I always say to new-comers or those who have not previously used the database to have a look through it.

IT is large and intimidating, even still I find new things(well, new old ones, not as they come out), and I have used it on a regular basis for around a year or two, so I don't think anyone will expect you to memorize every quote. The thing I do is when I am looking at at topic, I have a quick look through the tags associated with the subject, to see if anything can apply too the theory or what not.

And we will never get as good as Terez at it, I swear she can pull the quotes out of thin air! :laugh: So there's no worry, you make a mistake, people will give a quote and correct it, but nobody will look down on you! Well, at least I think so, nobody I know.

Archived