DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Oldboy - US Remake

Emperor

For those of you who don't know, the States is remaking this Korean movie. I have mixed feelings about the original... because the movie is F-ed up but that is part of the brilliance of the movie. I heard a few months ago Spike Lee was taking on the remake. I am not sure if I trust him to make a film equal to the original. However I grew more excited when Josh Brolin signed up for the lead role. Anyway Brolin was just interviewed about being involved....

Josh Brolin: OLDBOY? (Laughs) Literally, you say OLDBOY and my stomach just goes [mimics violent churning noises]. OLDBOY will be an experience. It won't be like MEN IN BLACK, I'll tell you that much. I'm really happy about it. We've got amazing actors. We've got [Elizabeth] Olsen, who I think is fantastic. We've also got Sharlto Copley from DISTRICT 9, who I think is going to be unbelievable. He just wrote me an email, it was like, "Look, I've got to get this out of the way: dude, GOONIES is my favorite movie." Which I thought was really sweet. "And now I'm going to make twenty years of your life miserable."

I love OLBOY, and I'm close with Chanwook Park. I emailed him a couple of months ago to ask him for his blessing to do this movie - because if he'd said no, I wouldn't have done it. But I really respect his movie, and we'll make a little different movie. This whole idea of the more Hollywood version of it... whatever. We're going to make a different version, but have respect to the initial story and premise. But I'm looking forward to it, man. I'm talking it about it nervously because it makes me nervous.

Q: Will you keep the hammer fight?

Yes. And it's a hammer and knife and all that stuff. And will we keep the octopus and will we keep the other stuff? There are some changes, but I think it's really good. It still makes me throw down the script halfway through. [Mimics recoiling from the script in horror.] Whoa!

I really don't know if I trust Hollywood to make a decent remake. The first original is so good, so disturbing and pulls no punches. I just think American producers are going to shy away from the subject matter. I'd feel the same way if they tried to remake "I Saw The Devil".

Archived