DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Nature of the 'Return'

Makawn

In The Gathering Storm I noticed an oddity during the meeting between Tuon And Rand. Tuon says,

...we expected to find a united kingdom, ready to praise us and lend us armies for the Last Battle.

As far as I am aware there had been absolutely no contact between those under Luthair in Saenchan and anyone on Randland. Therefore I was inclined to think of 'united kingdom' being Artur Hawkwing's Empire as the Saenchan would know nothing of its downfall. However if they expected a sort of successor empire I fail to see how they would be expecting to be lent armies. If their expectations leaned more to the former situation I fail to see why they would expect to be in a superior position to Hawkwing's successor in his Homelands. The Saenchan settler's also seems odd as it is unlikely a 'united kingdom' would be accepting of foreigners taking and settling land. I think perhaps the Saenchan Return expected to dominate any Randland empire and the 'lending of armies' would be more a changeover of command to the Empress. Thoughts?

Much of those ideas seem to come from the Seanchan prophecies, with its passage about the Dragon having to bow before the Crystal Throne. Looking at the meeting between Tuon and Rand, she seems to interpret interpret the last battle as a battle between the seanchan and the DO, with Rand serving as the Seanchans tool.

And they probably expected Randland to have the same set of prophecies, and just sit around waiting for the Seanchan to come around to save the day. And since they would come as saviours, they would automatically be put in charge of ruling the land afterwards.

If Hawking's Empire in Randland had survived to see the Return, of the Seanchan Empire, established by Luthair, as Artur's primary heir - and thereby closest link by blood & law to Hawking himself...

Say the Randland Empire also flew Hawkwing's flag, acknowledged his position in history as their Patron Monarch, and their history, leadership, and command structure was all derived from the gains, power, whatever that was accomplished by Artur.

*Pulls out family tree

So looking down the line we see that Tuon, out of Seanchan, is a direct decedent of Luthair, who was the primary heir of Artur. Yadda yadda yadda, there's nobody named, beyond Luthair's younger sister - who's not the primary heir in that circumstance, that's left in Randland to take the thrown once Artur passes.

THEREBBbbbyyy... Tuon, as Empress of Seanchan, of direct decent to Hawking's son & acknowledged heir would be able, under the ideal remember because who knows what would have happened beyond the given what did happen...

I'm trying to say Tuon could reasonably expect to have inherent authority over the entire empire by right of blood.

Sorry, bit of a ramble eh?

Archived