DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The coming of Grimm

baheine

Stumbling up the road weary from travel Tris looks around for help. "Who do I talk to about become a recruit?" he wondered. As he rode forth closer to the Towers gate he noticed an old soldier a Tower guard who seemed to be relaxing but only a fool was think so. For some reason a sense of anticipation settle on young Tris he was ready for this for the honor of his family. He asked the guardsmen where to enlist for the warders. After a quick and short explination Grimm found himself at the office of the master at arms. He nocks and waits for a reply.

(ooc: mind if I take care of this devon?)

". . .And then there were maybe twenty assassins dropping in out of nowhere and I thought we didn't have a chance, even with two Aes Sedai with us, but we rescued the son and got the bloody well out of there somehow. One of the most thrilling chases I've ever been in, for sure. . ."

A knock at the door interrupted his somewhat boasting narrative. Visar Falmaien paused and looked questioning to Kalan.

"Who could that be, I wonder?" Visar said aloud. Kalan shook his head ruefully.

"Probably some flaming new trainee want-a-be wanting to sign up. We've been getting a lot of those lately; Bloody hell could commander Mia at least make the paperwork less complicated?" Kalan would never stop about that. He was meant to be on the field training men in person, not sequestered to a desk all day.

Visar gave the master at arms a look of sympathy, especially with the ever-present mountain of parchments on his desk that never seemed to go entirely away. Mia sure kept him busy. Visar would bet a gold Tar Valon mark that she was secretly in love or something; women did things like that when they cared.

"You wouldn't mind, would you? I was going to get a drink. . ." Kalan grumbled for help. Visar shook his head. "Ok but you owe me later." They quickly struck a deal.

"Come in." Kalan said finally to the door, and in came one of the skinniest young Visar had ever seen, with black hair.

"He's all yours," Kalan said with a chuckle to himself as he left the room. Visar rolled his eyes, and then turned to address the newcomer.

"Your name, and your purpose at the Tower?" Visar asked business-like.

Edited by Visar Falmaien

Swallowing at the sound of "Your name, and your purpose at the Tower?" Tris steeled himself for what was to come.

As he opened the door to the office of the master at arms he looked at the Warder that stood before him. How do they manage that deadly grace its as if hes a wolf in waiting, thought Tris.

"My name is Tris Grimm of Andor I have come to train to be a Warder" he said.

I hope i said the right thing he thought to himself. As the Warder looked at him Tris swallowed again and waited on a reply.

(ooc: feel free to take the "interview" further if you wish, or just conclude it however you wish, then I'll get ya set up)

Visar observed Tris carefully. The tall, skinny lad seemed nervous and tense, which while slightly suspicious, was hardly out of the ordinary for someone who really wanted to be here.

"My name is Tris Grimm of Andor I have come to train to be a Warder"

"Tris Grimm." Visar repeated just to be sure he got it right. Well, the boy seemed earnest and didn't look like he had anything to hide, but it couldn't hurt to double check with a few more questions.

"Tris, have a seat." Visar offered a chair. "Would you like something to drink?" Visar waited for Tris to respond before getting a flask of something. Once they were situated, Visar settled down and cleared his throat. How best to begin?

"We accept young men to train with the Tower Guard all the time. This interview is just a formality so we'll know something about you and have a better idea of your character and qualifications, so don't be nervous. Almost everyone who comes here honestly and earnestly has a chance to join Warder Training. Come, Tris, tell me a little about yourself. Where in Andor do you hail from? Have you any family there?"

Relaxing dramatically at the friendly request Tris accepted drink fom the warder.

"We accept young men to train with the Tower Guard all the time. This interview is just a formality so we'll know something about you and have a better idea of your character and qualifications, so don't be nervous. Almost everyone who comes here honestly and earnestly has a chance to join Warder Training. Come, Tris, tell me a little about yourself. Where in Andor do you hail from? Have you any family there?", said Visar

"I am the youngest son of a sword smith. My brother joined the whitecloaks and that is what caused my family to tear apart.", taking a deep breath now steeled with cold resolve the young Grimm continued. "My father died of fever on the way to Caemlyn after our house and forge burned due to my brother, I grew up near Misty lake valley, my mom lives with my aunt in Caemyln and my place is to serve the White Tower"

"All I have left of my family is the last sword my father forged and a letter of luck from my aunt. The Warders are the one and only place I belong. *inclines his head* I hope that wasn't to lengthy Sir Gaiden. I owe it to my father and myself to serve you well."

Visar took his introduction in with some interest. The Whitecloaks were recruiting in Andor again, and new recruits burned their own homes? Or had that been an accident caused by the dispute? And why did Tris say that he had little left from his family when his mother and aunt were still alive? Wouldn't he ordinarily have had some obligation to help care for them? Visar was tempted to ask, but he'd best not push the matter.

He would be a hypocrite if he turned this Tris back for not sticking with his family when times got rough. Young men would always strike out on their own, either on their own foolish ambition or desperation--as had been Visar's case when he had come to the Tower--or as a way to fulfill their own feelings of duty and obligation. A way to gain honor. And perhaps things weren't as good in Caemlyn these days as Visar believed.

"I trust your mother and aunt are well cared for, Tris?" Visar asked politely, knowing that if Tris made it to the ranks of the Tower Guard, there would be ways for some of his income to be sent down to his family if he wished.

After Tris responded, Visar pulled out the hefty, leather bound tome that was the current volume of the logbook.

"I think you deserve a chance to prove your mettle here. We at the Tower are given a chance to begin anew, without anything from the past to keep us back," Visar decided. He opened the massive book on the desk and found the latest page, offering Tris a quill and ink.

"Alright, sign your name here, the latest entry, and I'll get you set up with quarters and a quick lay of the land. You'll start as a trainee, and you'll report bright and early each morning for your lessons in the yard. Meals will be provided in the mess hall, and you will not be allowed to leave the Tower grounds without permission until you advance. You signing here means you understand that. Are you ready for this?"

"I trust your mother and aunt are well cared for, Tris?" Visar asked politely, knowing that if Tris made it to the ranks of the Tower Guard, there would be ways for some of his income to be sent down to his family if he wished.

"Yes, sir I left them with all I owned. We saved some letters of right and swords from the forge. My mother . . . gave her blessing after the wrongs of my brother.", he said with a nod.

"I think you deserve a chance to prove your mettle here. We at the Tower are given a chance to begin anew, without anything from the past to keep us back," Visar decided. He opened the massive book on the desk and found the latest page, offering Tris a quill and ink.

"Alright, sign your name here, the latest entry, and I'll get you set up with quarters and a quick lay of the land. You'll start as a trainee, and you'll report bright and early each morning for your lessons in the yard. Meals will be provided in the mess hall, and you will not be allowed to leave the Tower grounds without permission until you advance. You signing here means you understand that. Are you ready for this?" said Visar

"Yes sir I am." As he grabbed the pen and looked over the names Tris thought to himself, A warder hmm I know it won't be easy but nothing good ever is

As Tris signed the paper he looked up at the Warder all he got in return was a look of understanding. "I am ready for whatever comes Sir Gaiden. Are we off to the barracks now sir?" As he readyed his sword from his pack and his letter from his aunt stating that she will take good care of his mother and to do well for the family Grimm Tris steeled him self ready for his new life as a Warder trainee.

(ooc: thanks for waiting, sworn, here's the "tour" to get you set up)

Visar looked on with approval while Tris signed his name into the ranks of those training to better themselves as soldiers serving the Light. The new trainee asked if they were going to the barracks.

"Yes, I suppose I should show you around; make sure you know the essentials here. If you ever get lost, don't hesitate to ask someone for help. Come with me."

Visar rose, carefully tidied Kalan's pile of papers to neatness, and led Tris Grimm out the door of the office and into the hall, which connected to an arcade with a view of the yard complex. When they had a good view, Visar pointed it out.

"We have quite an impressive training complex here: There are several yards for swordplay and unarmed fighting, that sort of thing, right over here. And we also have a large area for training horse riding and warfare from horseback which rings around these buildings. And tucked away behind the gardens there's archery butts set up if you care to train on that sort of thing. You'll start in one of the sword yards tomorrow, first thing. And trust me, you don't want to be late to your first lesson!" Visar smiled as he remembered vaguely being late for his first. That was a most miserable, grueling day! He already missed it.

"When you're a trainee, you'll do as your ordered by any Guardsman or Warder, or trainee with seniority on you, understood? Good. The first thing you will need to learn as a soldier or Warder is obedience and discipline. There is room here for innovation, too, but don't get ahead of yourself. Also, if an Aes Sedai or a messenger from the Tower asks you to do something, you will do so without question, or risk your status here. Ah, we're passing the armory now. You will be lent training gear and weapons to care for as part of your training to familiarize yourself with different arms and armor. But that can wait till tomorrow."

Visar led Tris past the armory, skirted round the fences of a training yard, and came to the Spartan-looking, gray hulk that was the main barracks. Trainees roomed four to a room with bunks, so it could be quite a cramped lifestyle, especially for one of Tris's tall size.

"This is the barracks, and next to it is the mess hall where the Tower Guard stationed here takes its meals. You'll ask the Warden in here for an available room in the barracks and he'll give you one. Fighting with roommates will not be tolerated; you fight, you get kicked out. You disobey the rules and are caught, you will be punished. But if you push yourself beyond what you think you're comfortable with, and do what you're told, you will do well here. Do you have any questions, Tris?"

Visar waited outside the barracks in case Tris wanted to say anything before he began.

As he signed Tris was immediatly wisked away by the Gaiden. The sprawling grounds of the Warders yard was very impresive. Here and there he saw recruites and warders working through forms, sparing, and shooting bows. The multitude of Warders is what really resounded with Tris. They weren't all the stereyotype of a big solider. He knew however not to let there size or stature fool him because they all stepped with that deadly grace.

As they boy and Gaiden reached the barracks again Tris was impressed by the sheer size of the building. When he was told he would be rooming with four other trainees he wasn't startled at all of course he grew up with a brother in a room that would probably serve as a broom closet here at the White Tower.

Visar said to him, "But if you push yourself beyond what you think you're comfortable with, and do what you're told, you will do well here. Do you have any questions, Tris?"

"No Visar Gaiden. I will be up before the sun ready to begin sir!", said Tris.

From the look in the Warders eye it was hard to tell if the Gaiden felt approval or sympathy for the new recruit. Upon Visar's answer Tris took quickly to bed and readied himself for his new life that began tomorrow.