DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book Review: Troy; Lord of the Silver Bow

Clayden69

Troy Book 1; Lord of the Silver Bow

Synopsis

Three lives will change the destiny of nations.

Helikaon, the young prince of Dardania, haunted by a scarred and traumatic childhood. The priestess Andromache, whose fiery spirit and fierce independence threatens the might of kings. And the legendary warrior Argurios, cloaked in loneliness and driven only by thoughts of revenge.

In Troy they find a city torn apart by destructive rivalries. And beyond its fabled walls blood-hungry enemies eye its riches and plot its downfall.

It is a time of bravery and betrayal

A time of bloodshed and fear

A time for heroes

"History and legend combine in an epic recreation of the Troy myth" Conn Iggulden (not sure who he/she is but its quoted on the back of the book)

I'm not the best at writing reviews out as I can ramble on and spoil things too much so I'm not going to go into any details other than how much I liked this book, which is why I typed the whole of the back of the book out!!

The quote perfectly sums up the 1st book in David Gemmels Troy trilogy. Once again Gemmell has created a story which, despite it's violence, is full of heroes and love, in his typically brilliant way. I don't think I've ever read an author who's heroes are all so tragic and with disturbing pasts. Yet, they are all brilliant, despite knowing what you are getting from him before you even pick the book up.

The book doesnt start off at Gemmells usual break neck speed, maybe 200 pages before something really exciting happens, but the pace is slower than his Drenai novels as it is the 1st of a trilogy so I didnt find it a problem.

There are Gemmells usual humorous anecdotes and funny characters, Odysseus "The Ugly King" is a fave of mine from this story. The usual slice of tragic, bittersweet deaths. Love at first sight, again, more than once!! (always popular in fantasy!!) The bloody battle scenes, the heroes who can destroy whole armies by themselves, and stories are told of and their prestige is known across the world.

Helikaon, as it says above had a troubled childhood, before Odysseus took him on his first sea voyage after which he changed from the shy, quiet boy he was and grows into the man, or better yet tragic hero he is in the story.

Argurios, this charcter probably undergoes the greatest changes throughout the story which is why I found him the most enjoyable of the 3 mentioned in the synopsis

Andromache is feisty pasionate and doesn't bow down to men in any way which creates some great scenes between her and the arrogant King Priam.

Throughout the book all the chapters are written from 3 different points of view, which works really well as it gives you differnet PoVs of the same scene and this was particularly fun in the battle scenes at the end.

One of my fave parts of the book was when Helen (who appears in this book ever so briefly) was introduced. As we all know Helen of Troy is one of the most beautiful women in history, a woman princes steal from kings and a woman who wars are fought over, well this is how the great Gemmell describes her; "a thickset young woman with a plain, honest face and pale auburn hair". I just think this is a great twist on the legend,made me smile, and, again, is typical Gemmell.

If you like David Gemmells Drenai novels then I strongly recommend this book. I really enjoyed this book because all of the fantasy I read is set in a completely made-up universe and it was good to read a historical fantasy. David Gemmell has produced another masterpiece, and, like Robert Jordan, David Gemmells untimely death is a true loss to fantasy fans and literature as a whole. In the same way that Robert Jordan made epic fantasy his forte Gemmell has made heroic fantasy his. Looking forward to reading the next instalment in what promises to be a great trilogy

Oh yeah before i forget, Andromache is a lesbian priestess, mmmmmmmmm. Unfortunately the island of lesbian priestesses (doesn't that sound like heaven) doesnt feature in the book but does play a large role in Andromaches character.

Archived