DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Lanfear Appreciation Thread

Yes, Emu's argument is an absurdity. Lanfear was driven to the Shadow by mean, mean people who just didn't understand that she didn't mean to release unspeakable evil into the world.

Of course, there is no discussion of WHY exactly she was boring that hole.

She was looking for a source of power that both men and women could use so they could work together and be truly equal. Which, on the surface, seems a noble enough idea. However, it is obvious (to me, at least) that her character is all about power.

Personally, I don't think she ever loved LTT. I think, instead, she loved what being with him could give her - power. Hoolking up with the most powerful Aes Sedai would have been putting her one step closer to her having that power herself.

I have to wonder how she would have fared if she had been born in the Third Age, though, where she would not have been locked into researching (and would have been in an Ajah, instead), would not have had anyone who was stronger than her (the fact that LTT was stronger, even if minimally so, seemed to stick in her craw), and would have dominated everyone else at the WT by Aes Sedai law. No doubt she would have become Amyrlin because of her strength, if nothing else. If that had been her position (put her in Egwene's place, for example), I honestly don't think she would have turned to the Shadow because she would have had all the power she craved.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived