DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Locke

Anyone?

I just got it about a week ago, and I have to say that, so far, I'm rather satisfied. While I thought the whole thing being online would be rather lame (especially due to us having bad connection), it hasn't turned out to be much of a problem at all, and I have to say that the whole Achievements system does draw me in a bit.

Besides various new changes to the original StarCraft of 10 years ago, I really love the alternate gameplay modes made my fans.

For instance, there is a mafia "map"....

• 3 weeks later...

I play Protoss, so I'm looking forward to that Campaign (although I do feel a bit ripped off, considering they're probably charge like 60 bucks. >.<) However, the Wings of Liberty Campaign is still pretty entertaining. I've nearly finished it, both storyline-wise and Achievement-wise.

Other than that, I'm honing my Protoss skills before I go into the Leagues and Ladders.

I haven't settled on a race yet. I was zerg in SC1, but I've yet to get the hang of SC2 zerg; they just feel goofy.

I generally watch the professional replays done by Ahnaris and Husky on YouTube. Good place to pick up tips and improve your build timing and orders. It's improved my game from "dead in two minutes" to "dead in ten minutes."

My main problem with Zerg is how macro heavy it is. You pretty much have to be up by at least 1 base in order to win against the other races. Also, I don't think roach/hydra is as good as MMM or a gateway mix and I suck at using the cute units.

I recently played a few games of this again and yeah, its so freakin' technical in the way you 'have' to do things...

Makes me pine for the days of Age of Empires and Total Annihilation to be honest.

But that being said, after me and a mate got schooled repeatedly in our placements, we settled nicely into our bronze division and went 4:1 over our first 5 games. He plays toss and I play Terran, and after like 15 games I finally remember the build order I needed to get 7+7 MM and an expand within a few minutes to give myself a chance.

I hate the damn zerg. I'm a sucker for leaving my wall down.

The hardest part of this game for me is moving from tier 1 to tier 2. If we don't win within like 10-15, generally we don't win.

I like Protoss best because they require the least micro in my mind, and my micro skills are rather substandard. (Well, and they look/attack the coolest. >.>) Plus, I'm used to them from StarCraft I.

Terran I don't like as much because of the massive teching options available after Tier 1. (Although I've had a bit of trouble beating an MM ball with concussive shells early on, since Charge (ideally)Zealot/Sentry/Stalker mix is the only counter option at the time, and I still have no skill at using Force Field)

Zerg...I'm just not very good with Zerg.

So far, I've pretty much only played cpu. (Except for a couple joke practice league matches with bad opponents). Computers aren't really the best judge of skills though, since very hard is easily predictable while insane is practically impossible without cheese.

locke I suggest venturing online, perhaps 2v2 with a decent friend. It really is the deep end, but only after a couple of games in whatever league you happen to land in, do you truly get a feel for what the game is like against mostly even opponents and such. The cut and thrust is really quite something to behold.

That being said, the minimum required skill in order to be competative in this game is so much higher than what I'm used to. I can only play like 5 games before getting burnt out and needing to play some mindless whatevers.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived