DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does the UFL gain ground during NFL lockout?

Emperor

The United Football League (UFL) is a professional American football league that began play in October 2009. The league currently has five franchises playing in markets where the National Football League has no current presence.[3] The league's defending champions are the Las Vegas Locomotives.

The league primarily consists of players that have at one time or another played for a National Football League team. While the league has no connection with the NFL, and does not intend to have such a relationship in the future,[4] some have speculated that it could become a minor or "developmental" league for the NFL.[5] Other reports described the league as a "competitor" to the NFL.[6] Some press articles had speculated that the UFL's business plan was to be present if (and, as it turned out, when) the NFL and its players' union reached the end of their collective bargaining agreement in March 2011, giving players that would be locked out an opportunity to play professional football outside the NFL

Two ex NFL coaches are heading to the UFL.

Jerry Glanville has been officially tabbed to be the head coach and general manager of the Hartford Colonials, and according to Chris Mortensen, Marty Schottenheimer is on the verge of being named the head coach of the Virginia Destroyers.

If there is no football for part of the year... or all of this year... will you watch UFL games? Do you think players sign short term contracts with teams?

I doubt I'd watch it unless there wasn't much else on. I wonder what channels would cover UFL games? ESPN I suppose, although I've never seen one offered yet.

Hell, if I was an ex-coach, why wouldn't I coach for the UFL. Keep making money doing what I loved.

I have a hard time seeing the UFL ever getting big enough to challenge the NFL for players and viewership, but who knows?

• 5 months later...

The whole reason the UFL was created was because of the knowledge that this lock-out was coming in the NFL. That being said it may gain some ground because there is no NFL at the moment, but once the NFL comes back the UFL fall in the background again.

Archived