DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Path Discovered

Leala Sedai

Leala's face exhibited the Aes Sedai calm and showed no emotion as she exited the Dining Hall. After becoming an Accepted, it had become rather easy for her to mimic their serenity. It was certainly easier without being pulled into so many directions for chores and whatever else was needed of her. She had just finished teaching a class on the elements of the One Power and had just delivered the bowls and rags used in the lesson. As she opened a door to a new corridor, she began her regular trek to the Library. Recently, she had been wondering what Ajah she would take when she was raised to the shawl. Logically, with the complex emotions and thoughts in each human being, there was something for each Ajah in each initiate of the Tower. The question for her was which was she fit the most. The Red Ajah had a noble mission in finding male channelers and gentling them, or even simply researching the other side of the One Power. It was always wise to know each side of a conflict. The Greens were a popular Ajah because their mission was preparedness in battle for Tarmon Gai'don. The Grays were known for keeping peace, which kept the nations united against the Dark Ones. The Yellows could work closely with any of the other Ajahs because of their strength in Healing. The Blues sought for justice where there was none and finding causes to fight for. She had to admit that in truth, however, she was drawn between the Brown Ajah and the White.

During her time here, she had spent much of her free time in the Library. Even now, she wove through the halls to find it. The huge compendium of ages of knowledge was her shelter. She watched the Browns toiling away, cleansing books of impurities and preserving the world' precious information. The Sisters there seemed to be familiar with her as well. The Whites intrigued her, however. She seemed to be able to think along their lines of logical thoughts in a highly regular basis. She even had their countenance, flushing emotion from her mind. She had always been that way as well. Either Ajah held promises of using her intellect to help the White Tower in its mission.

Leala's graceful white hand reached for the handle of the door leading to her shelter of knowledge. Before she could grasp it to pull it, however, an Aes Sedai addressed her. "Child." Turning around, she came face-to-face with an Aes Sedai of the Blue Ajah. Not just any Blue, either, this was the Blue Sister who had brought her to the Tower so many years ago. "Ayan Sedai," she said, spreading her banded skirt in a curtsy.

"It is good to see you in the banded dress, child," she said in a pleasant tone.

"Thank you, Aes Sedai."

Without the pleasantry exchanged, Ayan spoke again. "I have a task that I know you are well suited for." Leala lifted her head, signaling that she was listening intently now. "Miahna Sedai of my own Ajah has returned from her excursion and she needs someone to record her doings during her time away."

"I understand, Ayan Sedai. I will see to Miahna Sedai's needs."

"See that you do." She told Leala where to find the room in the Ajah's quarters before the Blue entered the Library. With that, the Accepted made her way back to the White Tower, her new destination in mind.

The Blues' Quarters looked just like the other Ajahs' Quarters in its structure. Each Ajah decorated according to its mission. The Blues made their home in their colors, tapestries and statues depicting scenes of justice being done. She followed the circular hall until she found the door that had been described to her. If the Sister was not there, she would wait for her. Lifting her hand, she knocked. She remembered the day that she had hesitated for a slight moment to knock on the door of Valeri Sedai's office. She felt no hesitation now. This was what the Pattern had in store for her.

Her room was just as plain as it had been the last time she was here. Just as plain and just as spotless – again the White Tower servants seemed to predict whenever a Sister was coming home. Running her finger along the mantle of the fireplace in her room, where a large fire roared welcomingly, Mimi felt no surprise to have it come away no more dirty than it had been when she'd started. Still, it was something she did every time, a tradition upon returning, and it didn't feel right to not do so this time.

Tossing her travel bag onto the bed none too gently, the Blue Sister walked out of the bedroom to the sitting area. A fire crackled warmly in this room as well, the flames licking up tamely behind their screen. Mimi stopped in front of the fireplace, hands extended toward the flames, soaking in the heat. Fire could be such a dangerous tool if used improperly, but when used correctly was such a blessing. She thought of those children she'd encountered in Canluum and how they'd frozen to death, huddled together for warmth but unable to cut the chill enough. One small fire could have prevented that.

“The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills,” she said aloud, her words soaking into the thick beams that ran across the ceiling and down the walls. There was a reason she'd been hours too late to save them, a reason that she'd spent extra time in Chachin instead of riding toward Canluum, and that reason was down in one of the cells in the White Tower basement. In a cell hopefully freezing himself as she stood in front of her warm fire. The bloody Darkfriend had murdered six pregnant women, leaving a trail of heartbroken husbands and motherless children across the Borderlands. Praise the Light most of the babes had survived the horrific act.

Moving to the divan, Miahna sat and pulled the saddlebags closer to her. Inside the pockets was information that would lead to the conviction of said Darkfriend, and some that quite possibly might lead her to more guilty parties and needed to meet justice. Right now, though, she was looking for something else. A silver necklace, given to her by the last widowed husband. It had been his wife's he said, and he wanted the Arafellin Aes Sedai to have it as a token of his thanks for saving his child and punishing his wife's killer. She had tried to refuse, but he had insisted. She'd taken it to be polite, but hadn't looked at it since. Digging under the papers, Mimi found the necklace wrapped in the same piece of dark green fabric she'd wrapped it in before leaving.

On the delicate silver chain was a tiny key. It was old fashioned, with loops and swirls meeting to create a 'C' in the middle. The stem had two blocks at the end, the teeth for the key. All in all, it wasn't any bigger than her pinky finger. Carefully, Mimi removed it from the cloth and fastened it around her neck. The key was cool against her skin, nestling nicely in the slight groove before her cleavage began. Given that her neckline generally did not dip further than that groove, and was usually above it, one would really only be able to see the chain. Placing her hand over the key momentarily, Mimi then set about taking out her evidence and setting it about her. Much of it was handwritten scribbles – hasty writing as she tracked the murdering Darkfriend. Some of it was barely legible even to her.

She was attempting the organize the information when a knock sounded, startling her. Standing up quickly and gracefully, the Blue strode to the door, the bells at the ends of her twin braids jingling tinnily. Opening the door, Mimi cocked an eyebrow to the Accepted standing on the other side. “Yes?” she asked, her dark green eyes staring at the girl. Many said her gaze was penetrating, and perhaps that was the case, but it certainly had its uses.

The Accepted kept her hands at her side. In one hand, she held an ink well and a feather pen. In the other, she held a good amount of paper. She had heard that Miahna Sedai was a Darkfriend Hunter. The Blue Ajah was known for its dealings in Daes Dae'mar, having a wide and far stretch with it's system of eyes-and-ears. She wondered what this Aes Sedai had seen over the years. She was a Borderlander as well, being from Arafel. What horrors of the Blight had she seen? She admired Blues, Greens, and Reds for their tenacity in battle. Leala herself wanted to travel for the Tower, but she felt a great amount of comfort using her mind its full extent as well. She enjoyed teaching and studying. But it would be a proud moment for her if she ever fought for the Tower out in the world. Her thoughts were cut short when the door knob to the Aes Sedai's quarters clicked.

Leala's composure, during her time as a Novice, was rather good for someone of that station. Now that she was an Accepted, she worked even harder to improve her calm exterior. She found that if she kept a calm exterior, she was calm inside as well. With most Accepted, Aes Sedai would walk by and make some comment on their posture or their hurried pace. So, it was no suprise that when the towering Arafellin Sister opened the door and offered Leala a penetrating stare, the Accepted met the gaze head on with perfect calm rather than blinking or shying away. She had seen many an Aes Sedai stare since joining the Tower, and she had something akin to one as well. She assumed that an Aes Sedai's glare was colder and harder because of the testing. What would she face in the ring?

To the Blue Sister's simple question, Leala said, "Ayan Sedai bade me to come to your quarters and transcribe any notes you wish to take on your recent excursion, Miahna Sedai." Without moving her eyes, she noticed a few things in her periferal vision. There seemed to be saddle bags next to a chair that were open. She wondered what was inside for a moment. The fire place had been lit. Leala wondered if she had just returned from somewhere cold. She also spotted a small necklace around the woman's neck that sparkled and the charm on the end of the chain was long like a key. It did not look like any key from Customs Officers of Tarabon, and Miahna Sedai was from Arafel...so why was she wearing something like this? Lastly, she saw that the room that she could see seemed very tidy, almost as if Miahna Sedai traveled more often than stayed at home."I hope I am not intruding," she said with a curtsy.

Edited by Leala Gymorraine

The Accepted curtsied with the precise amount of depth and posed a statement that sounded a bit like a question. "I hope I am not intruding," she said. Miahna continued staring for a moment more before she stepped aside and motioned for the girl to join her in the suite. She wouldn't waste time wondering how the other Blue had known she was here; Mimi was sure Ayan even had Aes Sedai as Eyes and Ears for her! Instead, the Arafellin worked her curiosity on another angle. She did like to record her visits out, but never before had she asked for scribe. Mimi had always sat at her desk and wrote in her own hand, describing the tale to her own liking. She pondered momentarily whether Serena had sent Ayan to do her bidding, or if the blasted woman had come up with the idea herself. She'd never liked Miahna ; she resented being stuck in the Tower while Mimi was out in the world. It was obvious to every Blue, and probably obvious to other Ajahs as well - maybe even the initiates.

Ah well, Mimi thought to herself. She had never been one to be involved in Tower politics, and she wouldn't start today. Best to tell the majority of the tale to the girl and see what Ayan and her cronies would do with it. Warming the tea in the pot that sat on the middle of the plain dark wood table, the Aes Sedai poured herself a cup and then gestured to the Accepted that she could take one as well if she so chose. The powerful aroma of Saldaean tea drifted up to her nose and Miahna sighed contentedly. No matter what stress she faced, nothing was greater than the smell and taste of the bold blend.

The fire crackled, small popping noises of the logs filling the quiet room. The Accepted sat across from her, pen and parchment at the ready, seemingly fine in the silence. One point for the girl the Blue thought with a small inward smile. It was rare that someone could sit in silence with a stranger and not fidget. Even rarer for an Accepted – or anyone - to do so in front of a silent Aes Sedai. In many circles, a quiet Aes Sedai meant that the noose was about to fall. The Arafellin pushed aside the urge to chuckle at that last thought. In many cases, a silent Miahna did mean that the noose was about to fall. Her skill at hunting Darkfriends was well known within the ranks of those sworn to the Dark One, which forced her to tiptoe as she did her research and brought back Darkfriend to meet their justice.

Downing half of the rest of her cup, Miahna leaned forward and broke the silence. “Now then. Before we begin, I'd like to know your name child, and why it was that Ayan chose to send you to be my scribe.” Her green eyes were intent once again, lighting up with the familiar glow when she was on the brink of finding an answer that had eluded her previously, and she smiled. It was only slightly feral. Let's see if she can score another...

Leala silently ducked into the room after Miahna motioned for her to enter. The room really was sparse, but the the cleaning staff kept it clean while the Aes Sedai was out on her missions. The Accepted thought that perhaps it would be good for her to depart from the Tower as well when she became Aes Sedai. The Blue offered her some of her strong tea that smelled of spices from Saldaea. "Thank you, Miahna Sedai, perhaps later." She wasn't trying to be rude, she simply did not want to risk spilling any tea on her notes. And Saldaean tea was just a touch too strong for her tastes. Most people complained about Andoran food being too bland, but that was simply how her pallet had been set in her early childhood. She did appreciate the gesture, though. Other Aes Sedai would have demanded that she pour a cup for them both. Perhaps later on when she was more thirsty. Settling into one of the expensive chairs, she crossed her legs and propped her paper against her knee, holding an edge of it with her left hand, and her pen in the other. She waited for the blue to begin. She seemed to have a lot going on in her mind. Ayan Sedai did have a reputation for being rather sneaky around the Tower. Sometimes she did not even understand her actions.

The crackling sounds of the fire were accompanied after a moment by the small jingling sounds of the tiny bells at the ends of Miahna's braids as she sat down with her tea. Leala had assumed that Ayan Sedai had spoken with the other Blue Sister before sending for the Accepted, but the Arafellin Sister blew any theories to that affect away when she said, “Now then. Before we begin, I'd like to know your name child, and why it was that Ayan chose to send you to be my scribe.” She wondered if the dealings of all Aes Sedai would be this obscure. She would relish that sort of mental challenge.

"My name is Leala Gymorraine, Aes Sedai," she answered, looking into the Sister's green eyes with her set of silver, not letting even a twitch of muscle change her expression. "And Ayan Sedai did not tell me exactly why she chose me for this task. She did, however, say that she thought this task would be well suited for me. She was the Aes Sedai that tested me and brought me to the White Tower to become a Novice, so she knows a bit of my background in education at the Court of Caemlyn before coming here," she explained, hoping that was enough. Accepted were expected to give what were known as "Aes Sedai answers" in some ways, but in a situation like this where every bit of information helped, she felt that honesty was the best solution.