• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

He did do some awesome stuff. Like build a land bridge to Tyre

And build a 76m high, 365m wide mount all around the fortress of Gaza which was on a steep hill, then added purty siege towers on top too to conquer it XD

He goes out to the Gordonian knot, whips out his sword and cuts it in half...

...one of my fav heroic stories from les Classical times is of the 300 Spartans under (Leonidas, was it?) who held the pass for two days against teh entire army of the first Persian invasion into Greece :happy:

The Battle of Thermopyle

not actually 300, 300 spartans yes, but there were others there as well, I think it was more on the order of 1500-2000 but still a massive achievement.

Yarr, actually 'twas about 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans and perhaps a few hundred others, the vast majority of whom were killed.

'twas from Marathon to Athens, I think.

Hence --> thus was born teh marathon race!!! :biggrin:

The host range of a virus is the range of cells that a virus can infect in a specific organism. Most viruses can only invade specific cells of one species. hence bird flu stays with birds and swine flu with swine until a virus evolves that can infect humans

I haven't done history in over 4 years...

this isn't history, this is History Channel...

and books

I hasn't done Mafs in two years :blush:

No haz TV and history channel at home :(

For me, tis not History (that was WW1&2, apartheid, Isreal/Palestine and Eluzabethan England etc) but Classical Studies which I started last year. Tis mucho awesome, I love myths and the ancient Greeks :D

...one of my fav heroic stories from les Classical times is of the 300 Spartans under (Leonidas, was it?) who held the pass for two days against teh entire army of the first Persian invasion into Greece :happy:

The Battle of Thermopyle

not actually 300, 300 spartans yes, but there were others there as well, I think it was more on the order of 1500-2000 but still a massive achievement.

Yarr, actually 'twas about 300 Spartans, 700 Thespians, 400 Thebans and perhaps a few hundred others, the vast majority of whom were killed.

yes Thespians, they were there.

but in these modern marathons people don't drop dead on completion. this is probably a good thing

And build a 76m high, 365m wide mount all around the fortress of Gaza which was on a steep hill, then added purty siege towers on top too to conquer it XD

Didn't learn about that last booklet...?

aaaaah yes, the mongols also started off the whole bubonic plague that killed off a third of Europe's population. I've said this before and I will probably say it again, I need to learn more about the mongols

Oooooooo. I've always admired them for their horsey accomplishments.

And Ghengis Khan was another of those great leaders...

and books

For me, tis not History (that was WW1&2, apartheid, Isreal/Palestine and Eluzabethan England etc) but Classical Studies which I started last year. Tis mucho awesome, I love myths and the ancient Greeks :D

It sounds like I'd love this subject.

I never get taught anything about Apartheid :/

Didn't learn about that last booklet...?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordian_Knot

The Battle of Thermopyle

yes Thespians, they were there.

but in these modern marathons people don't drop dead on completion. this is probably a good thing

Agreed. :P

Where was I...

The Queen Ada of Caria offered Alexander an ingenious plan. She was a surviving member of the Carian royal family which had fallen from favourite under the Persians after Philip's attempt to marry his son (A's brother) to a Carian princess.  After that Caria had been ruled by a Persian satrap till Alexander arrived. Anyway, Ada met him and proposed she adopt him as her son in return for the right to rule Caria as the mother of the new conqueror. This appealed to Alexander as it made him less of a conqueror, and more the 'legitimate' son of a local ruler...nifty!!  :myrddraal:

aaaaah yes, the mongols also started off the whole bubonic plague that killed off a third of Europe's population. I've said this before and I will probably say it again, I need to learn more about the mongols

they messed up the Islamic world so bad that it allowed the Europeans to get a foothold on the world stage and claw themselves out of their dark age by stealing borrowing ideas from the East, which were admittedly mostly borrowed from the Greeks and Romans, at least the base ideas

Baghdad still hasn't recovered from when the Mongols destroyed the library and threw the books into the river running through the city so much so that the water turned black with ink, or when they dug in the irrigation system, and knowing the Mongols they probably salted the earth, you know, just for chuckles

Where was I...

The Queen Ada of Caria offered Alexander an ingenious plan. She was a surviving member of the Carian royal family which had fallen from favourite under the Persians after Philip's attempt to marry his son (A's brother) to a Carian princess. After that Caria had been ruled by a Persian satrap till Alexander arrived. Anyway, Ada met him and proposed she adopt him as her son in return for the right to rule Caria as the mother of the new conqueror. This appealed to Alexander as it made him less of a conqueror, and more the 'legitimate' son of a local ruler...nifty!! :myrddraal:

tricksy

and books

I wonder why :sad:

Actually, I was really surprised about how frank and honest all the learning material was. Nothing hushed-up or camouflaged, like modern news likes to illusion us with - but it was vair neutral, I learnt a lot about the origins on apartheid in SA, Mandelas actions...etc.

Oh and it was related to a research I had to do on the 1981 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand, where everything got so out of control with protesters who didn't want the SA rugger team to play the NZ teams, cos the authorities wouldn't let Maori players participate >:(

Fungal infections are classified based on the location of the tissue affected.

Cutaneous: skin/hair level

Subcutaneous: below skin - comes from contact with soil or plant material in an open wound

Systemic: occurs deep inside the body

they messed up the Islamic world so bad that it allowed the Europeans to get a foothold on the world stage and claw themselves out of their dark age by stealing borrowing ideas from the East, which were admittedly mostly borrowed from the Greeks and Romans, at least the base ideas

This, especially...

And China, and Egypt, etc who were so much more developed and had mummification and were WRITING before we even crept out of our Stone Caves XD

and books

I wonder why :sad:

Actually, I was really surprised about how frank and honest all the learning material was. Nothing hushed-up or camouflaged, like modern news likes to illusion us with - but it was vair neutral, I learnt a lot about the origins on apartheid in SA, Mandelas actions...etc.

Oh and it was related to a research I had to do on the 1981 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand, where everything got so out of control with protesters who didn't want the SA rugger team to play the NZ teams, cos the authorities wouldn't let Maori players participate >:(

yarr I learnt very little in school about Apartheid, basically that it happened, how it was allowed to happen and the the stories of a couple struggle heroes and the stories behind our public holidays, we never covered how SA was split up, why it came to an end (at least in any real depth), the actions of sabotage the ANC and other groups did in that time, what other countries did to house rebels and the exiled

In the newspaper a couple weeks ago they showed a list of all the medals SA have won in the Olympics and in the middle was a greyed out section, 'Apartheid"

This, especially...

And China, and Egypt, etc who were so much more developed and had mummification and were WRITING before we even crept out of our Stone Caves XD

Yeah I was never sure exactly why Europe retrograded so badly when Rome disintegrated.

I partly blame random looting and chaos (sorta like the Breaking) and sorta blame the Church.

I mean the Romans had public toilets and proper sewage, that's high advancement for you and then two, three centuries later the same people have nothing technological at all, basically the only thing they remembered to do was make big stone buildings

Life Cycle of an HI Virus

HIV attaches the the CD4 Receptor of a helper T cell (lymphocyte)

|

\/

The HIV fuses with the cell membrane of the lymphocyte

|

\/

Enzymes break down the capsid surrounding the protein coat

|

\/

Reverse Transcriptase forms a strand of co-DNA using the viral RNA as a template

|

\/

Another strand of co-DNA is constructed by reverse trancriptase using the first strand of co-DNA as a template

|

\/

Integrase integrates the now single strand of viral DNA into the host cell's DNA

|

\/

the viral DNA orders the production of viral mRNA

|

\/

the viral mRNA orders the cell's organelles to produce HIV proteins

|

\/

Viral proteins make a capsid around viral RNA

|

\/

The new, immature, non-infectious HI Virus buds off from the host cell

|

\/

The HIV matures inside the blood plasma into a fully infectious cell capable of infecting another T helper cell

Edited by Smiley73

HIV may have no symptoms at all for a number of years as the virus slowly destroys the body's immune system.

the infected may have a short bout of illness straight after being infected but this will then disappear. NO other symptoms may occur for years, or more serious symptoms may follow quickly.

As the body's immune system fails opportunistic disease like TB can infect the body and with an already suppressed immune system the chance of death increases dramatically. Other rare disease may affect the body that would normally have been easily killed off. HIV patients may also experience fatigue, weight loss, oral thrush and kaposi's sarcoma (a form of malignant skin cancer (quite possibly caused my DNA messed up by the presence of the viral DNA))