• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Smiley73

• Crimson_Ayla

• Nyanna al'Meara

• mmeeshal

Ending

The film cuts to the closing credits from a shot of the top wobbling ambiguously, inviting speculation about whether the final sequence was reality or another dream. Nolan confirmed that the ambiguity was deliberate, saying "I've been asked the question more times than I've ever been asked any other question about any other film I've made... What's funny to me is that people really do expect me to answer it."[68] The film's script concludes with "Behind him, on the table, the spinning top is STILL SPINNING. And we – FADE OUT"[69] However, Christopher Nolan also said, "I put that cut there at the end, imposing an ambiguity from outside the film. That always felt the right ending to me – it always felt like the appropriate 'kick' to me… The real point of the scene – and this is what I tell people – is that Cobb isn't looking at the top. He's looking at his kids. He's left it behind. That's the emotional significance of the thing."[70]

In September 2010, Michael Caine, explained his interpretation of the ending, "If I'm there it's real, because I'm never in the dream. I'm the guy who invented the dream."[71] Nolan himself noted that "I choose to believe that Cobb gets back to his kids, because I have young kids. People who have kids definitely read it differently than those who don't".[62] He indicated that the top was not the most crucial element of the ending, saying "I've read plenty of very off-the-wall interpretations... The most important emotional thing about the top spinning at the end is that Cobb is not looking at it. He doesn't care."[62]

Yes, links are fine.

Ahhh, that makes sense...I hadn't thought about the idea that he's left it behind. I didn't like the ambiguity, mostly because the actors they had for the kids were named in the credits as the younger kids and then the older kids (on the phone in the beginning), and the kids at the end were the kids who were 2 years younger--so I thought there was a very real possibility it was all a dream at the end.

But I guess it doesn't matter, then. It was nice that he got back to his kids one way or another. XD

hmm the last dream did confuse me a little, the one where Leo goes back for the asian guy, the film names have long been forgotten

Same here about the dreams. I think they were in limbo, or whatever that lowest level was; underneath the dreams. So he went down there for the asian guy. In limbo, it doesn't necessarily feel like a dream, and so much time can pass and feel real, without it actually passing in real life....

Edited by mmeeshal