DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tilt one back with me doc!

Wayfarer

It had taken them the better part of two weeks but they had reached Caemlyn, which meant they still had about five weeks before they reached Whitebridge at the solid pace they were keeping. Not that Aran minded, this had allowed him to visit the taprooms of every establishment they had stayed in. Amongst other things he was able to gather news while he was there from travelers and rumourmongers, which kept him fairly well informed as far as rumours went.

There was the fact it gave him a respite from the Aes Sedai as well. Not that they annoyed him, in fact he was rather enjoying his time with them, not that they could necessarily claim the same. In particular, Sheena was proving rather fiesty, which was as it should be. His bet with Rosheen was well on track, as Lavinya was proving to be more... resilient. He'd see her making a declaration yet, and he would laugh until he cried.

The inn they were staying in had a marvellous bar Aran had quickly discovered and was on his third when he had some company. A stinging ear from a powerflick proved to be Rakel, and with her a couple of local men that he knew; Raymond Threefingers and Jas the Fist. A few rounds of drinks later and they had for the most part caught up. Rakel had explained what she was doing in Caemlyn, and some of the trouble she'd been up to, and the other two had been able to tell Aran of what had been happening in Caemlyn since he had last been there.

Information about the channeler near Whitebridge proved to be the same it had been elsewhere along the road, rumour at best. But the time had come for them to part ways, shaking the hands of Jas and Raymond and hugging Rakel, he watched them leave before he made his way to the bar for another drink. The offer they had made to him as they had left... Well, he would have to think on it, and he would have to sober up if he were to take them up on it and that didn't appeal to him at all.

Armed with a new mug of liquid goodness, Aran was about to return to his seat when he noticed a familiar face at a nearby table, Thera. Had she noticed the company that he had been keeping? It was then that the thought struck him that Rakel and Thera had similar hair, though Rakel didn't share Thera's brown eyes. Maybe that was why he didn't mind Thera even though she was Gaidar.

Meandering over to her table, he deposited himself on a chair next to her with a grin. "Evening! Why, you're looking particularly stunning tonight. What occasion brings you down here? I thought Gaidar were far too busy to trouble themselves with a mug."

Aran

Tower Guard

OOC: Rakel looks fairly respectable, though the other two have the bearing of street roughs about them. Going to let Rosh know about the thread when I see her, I've left it open so she can jump in or leave it as she wishes.

• 2 months later...

Thera’s mood not improved a wit over the last two weeks. In fact things had grown darker between her and Serena. More and more the woman felt it necessary to exclude Thera from her plans and leave her guessing more often than not.

She had been dressing quietly as Serena sat at her desk composing a letter to whom ever. Even though the tension was thick enough to cut with a knife, Thera stared at Serena’s dark hair and the graceful way she sat and love could not help but swell. Masking that quickly she buckled on her sword, and began lacing her soft knee high boots. No soon than she straightened did Serena’s clear voice cut through the silence. “ If that is all you can think of my Gaidin perhaps it would do you well to take a cold bath†The words cut through her like and knife and Thera’s hand flew to her sword hilt. Horrified at the reaction Thera fled from the room slamming the door behind her. Harming your Aes Sedai no Gaidin would dare even think it let only take action. What had that women done to her wits? The common room of their in did not seem far enough. She could still fell Serena’s shock and anger. Still not wanting to get too far Thera ordered and mug of strong ale and set to forgetting her troubles.

Two drinks later Thera spied Aran at the next table, carousing with street roughs? She could not help but stare, not wanting to be seen in return she leaned closer to her ale and let her eyes take on a sleepy look. Anyone looking at her would think her head too full of ale to think straight. The common room was too loud to overhear what they said, but Thera order more ale and kept a close watch.

Long about her fourth ale she lost al interest in Aran and began to hum quietly to herself. It was the song she and Serena had danced to on the night of their bonding party. Soon that obnoxious voice broken through her thoughts.

"Evening! Why, you're looking particularly stunning tonight. What occasion brings you down here? I thought Gaidar were far too busy to trouble themselves with a mug."

Thera was in no mood, but then again sitting with Aran was better than being alone. “How would you know what we Gaidin do? It is not as if any Aes Sedai would want you!†She said as she winked at him.

Laughing at the comment and wink he got, Aran eased in his chair. She seemed a bit friendlier now than she usually was, probably because her Aes Sedai wasn't about. It was actually rather annoying, Serena Sedai that was, she wasn't even part of the game but she was the one who had been riled up first. Aran wished he had made the bet on her instead of Sheena Sedai, but then if wishes were fishes everyone would cast nets.

Thera would make good company Aran was pretty sure, that or he'd poke some fun at her so either way it was win win for him. "Oh, I'm sure there would have to be at least one Aes Sedai that is deaf, dumb and blind out there. Don't rob me of all hope Thera." Grinning as he took a swig from his mug, Aran set it down as he continued. "Besides, I don't think I could handle being bonded. Aes Sedai are too moody with me, and seem to disapprove of everything I do, can't imagine why."

He thought he might've gotten a slight smile out of Thera with that one, or perhaps it was a frown of disapproval, Aran didn't pause to consider it as he went on. "Rosheen told me you two know each other, how far do you two go back? If I were to guess... trainees together perhaps?"

Aran

Tower Guard

There was no taking back that wink now. The ale must have clouded her brain more that she thought. Taking a large swig of her ale Thera was surprised to find it empty. "Oh, I'm sure there would have to be at least one Aes Sedai that is deaf, dumb and blind out there. Don't rob me of all hope Thera." Grinning as he took a swig from his mug, Aran set it down as he continued. "Besides, I don't think I could handle being bonded. Aes Sedai are too moody with me, and seem to disapprove of everything I do, can't imagine why."

At that she could not help but chuckle. Aran behavior had been a bur in the Aes Sedai’s sides since day one. And there was a truth to that statement, her very own beloved Aes Sedai was moody enough to dull a tinker. "Rosheen told me you two know each other, how far do you two go back? If I were to guess... trainees together perhaps?"

For a moment Thera’s eyes clouded, she finished her ale and order two more before answering his question. “ Indeed I met her when I was a trainee, her and I were a kindred spirit of some kind†Her red curls shook as she laughed, she saw Aran puzzled look and set to explaining. “ Whether you believe it or not I used to be rather.. tough to handle†She knew very well that Aran saw her as a lap cat to her Aes Sedai. “ I use to relish in the humiliation and … torture of a sort with new trainee’s and the occasional warder†Thera’s brown eyes filled with amusement as she recalled the time she tried her luck with a particularly large Tower Guard. She had almost lost her head to that man.

Thera's initial words intrigued Aran, and the woman didn't hesitate to laugh and explain further. What was said next certainly explained the kindred spirit reference, Rosheen was still apt to be difficult from time to time. Something that hadn't really changed all that much over time, though Rosheen wasn't so quick to use her fists now. Also something that Aran was rather thankful for, because more often than not he was the recipient of said fists. It wasn't as if 'always' deserved it either.

Humiliating and torturing trainees? And warders? Aran couldn't understand why Thera was hesitant about that. It was one of Aran's favourite pastimes, though with trainees he believed it was 'character building'. Trainees were usually lacking anything resembling character, so they needed it pounded into them through unexpected situations. A few trainees in particular that needed that help came to mind with little thought.

Warder baiting was also fun, some of them seemed to lose their humour when they bonded. Thankfully, Thera didn't seem like she was one of them. "Oh, if you were like Rosheen I can believe it. She's probably hit me more times than everyone else in the Yards combined. As to the trainees and warders... Well, trainees need it to keep them on their toes, and warder baiting is usually alot of fun."

Grinning, Aran continued. "You don't seem to have lost your sense of humour though. Why did you change? Your Aes Sedai doesn't approve? Or perhaps you tired of it? I don't think I could understand the latter myself though, pranks and jokes never cease to amuse me." Looking up as the barmaid returned with their drinks, Aran smiled and gave his thanks before turning back to Thera and taking a swig.

Aran

Tower Guard

• 3 weeks later...

“You truly are doomed to be unbonded forever!†Thera said with a rueful laugh. “You simply cannot continue on as before, once your bonded. Serena is more lenient than most but at best most Aes Sedai are not much better than a women with nettles stuck in her dress.†Her red curls shook as she laughed. She could not remember the last time she had truly felt so free! She had lost count of the number of ale she’d consumed but it no longer seemed to matter.

“ Another Ale here!!†The room spun slightly as she turned back to face Aran, his face was a blur to her eyes. “ At times I envy you, free from duty and Aes Sedai games…you know they lie with every breath, or I suppose bend the truth, even with their lovers!†That was a horrible truth to admit. Serena was the first she allowed in her bed since...him! And she had lied as much as he. Was she was doomed to have all lovers break her heart?

Thera felt the bile rising in her throat and the room refused to halt its spinning. A bitter smile parted her lips, perhaps Aran was right. Why give up the mischief?

“ Okay my friend, how about you and I see what else this town holds.†She winked and downed her ale, without a second look the headed for the door.

Laughing in turn as Thera pointed out his chances of being bonded were non-existant, Aran had an easy grin on his face as he worked away at his mug. Thera was proving to be more and more different than the front she had given during their time on the riverboat, and he was beginning to understand more and more how her and Rosheen had become friends. It was a shame she had bonded, if how she was now was how she was beforehand, then the bond had certainly changed her. And she was good looking too, at the rate they were going with the drinks and the laughter there was alw-

Or not. Thera was really drunk to let that slip, alot of women weren't given to being so open about such things. Or maybe it was just a drunken mumble, but Aran doubted it. Aran doubted Thera would comment on Serena's lovers unless she was one of them. Probably not a good idea to talk about that right now. Especially as she spoke of getting up to some mischief and exploring the town. Finishing his own mug, Aran got up and followed her out. They should have been guarding the Aes Sedai, but he had made other arrangements so safety for them wouldn't be a problem. Besides, it'd be interesting to learn more of what Thera was like, and she looked like she needed to get something out of her system.

That and they could probably do with a little bit of distance from Serena. She hadn't come down so far to remonstrate her gaidar for drinking, which would then make her drunk. If they were elsewhere, she'd just have to deal with it. Stepping out into the street, he caught up with her and pulled on her arm. "No no, this way, there's a place closer to the dock. Come on."

And with that powerfully persuasive argument Aran won Thera over and they went to the riverside instead. Wherever there was a good deal of water there was always a tavern of some sort. Why was something Aran couldn't really think of right then, it was just one of those rules of nature that had little to no exceptions. Aringill was most certainly no exception, and soon they found a rowdy place where they could have some fun, the Bar and Stool.

It was also clear to see that Aringill was a border town. On the road connecting Cairhien with Andor yet belonging to neither, there were men and women from both nations in the tavern. That explained the edge in the place, Cairhienin and Andorans often spoiled for a fight with one another, this could be the place for it. But Aran was more interested in gambling himself, mainly because he could cheat better than anyone else and he needed some coin.

Gambling was on the second floor of the two storey establishment so after they collected their drinks, they went up and found themselves with a few options. There were some games of chop going on at some tables, and there were a couple of dagger tossing boards where people were winning and losing their coin with equal ease. Smiling, he nudged Thera with his elbow. "What would you rather try your hand at?"

Aran

Tower Guard

As she stepped onto the street her head still swimming with ale she had a moments doubt about this venture with Aran. Serena’s feelings for him were far from love, she despised the man and thought him a bad influence. Thera glanced in his direction, Aran was handsome enough; perhaps she could show Serena just how bad an influence he was. And she’d be damned if she’d mask the bond.

Her thoughts grew more inward as they walked, she searched the bond for irritation from Serena but the women felt like she always did. A pool of complete calm! Lost in her dark mood she jumped at Aran’s touch.

"No no, this way, there's a place closer to the dock. Come on." Places near the docks always had a certain charm. Fights could be amusing, and it had been so long since she gambled. Few warders indulged in such tasks most were stuffed shirt…. Thera blinked when she realized she had become the one thing she never wanted. Was it possible to be a Warder and keep your own personality? That was a question that had never before crossed her mind. She had been so bewitched with Serena’s charms and her thoughts were clouded with love. She had given up herself for that women and had gotten nothing in return. Perhaps it was the ale or maybe an epiphany but Thera vowed at that moment to be a lap dog no longer.

They arrived at a rowdy place called the â€Bar and Stool†The clientele was the sort you’d expect at a riverside tavern, and they suited Thera’s mood to a t. Acquiring more ale they headed up the stairs and Thera’s eyes shined. "What would you rather try your hand at?" With a quick flick of her wrist a dagger appeared in her hand and was gone again in a flourish. She nudged Aran “What do you say we show these louts how to toss a dagger†Thera bellowed loud enough for the whole floor to hear.

More than a few heads turned to stare, and not a one held a pleased face. Maybe it was the ale, or Aran but Thera felt a familiar rush that she had not felt in what seemed like a lifetime. Digging in her purse she produced two gold coins and slapped them on the table with a flourish. Surely this place saw silver and copper more often than not. “ Two gold crowns say my friend and I here can best anyone of you, your bet can be silver if that’s all ye can afford†Chugging the rest of her ale she eyed the room, her eyes begging someone to challenge.

Well, that was one way to get the attention of those that were tossing daggers. Of course, gold changed everything, they had bought their way into a game now. Two people speaking to each other decided to take them up on the challenge, Andoran from the look of their clothing. No doubt thinking to take advantage of a pair of drunk mercaneries looking to lose their coin. Aran on the otherhand had no intention of losing any coin at all, in fact he planned to end the night richer than how he'd started it. With Thera's help he was going to do it as well, as long as she still remembered how to throw a dagger or they were doomed.

Of course, he could just cut someone's purse later.

Walking over to the board, they had daggers with black and white pommels to throw. They were given the black pommels of course, white was usually considered luckier for obvious reasons. Strange considering the term 'Dark One's luck' but there it was. Their first match was quick, merciless, but close enough to get more takers, especially as they continued drinking. That was the art to fleecing people though, always play it close enough that it encouraged them to try again, or for others to see if they could take the prize.

Of course, with success came a good deal of resentment, especially with the grins they wore and the way Thera needled people to play and then got under their skin when they lost. Sort of what Aran liked to do, though he would have liked a few more people around him as he did so. They could count on help though, the dagger tossers all seemed to be Andoran, whereas the chop players all seemed to be Cairhienin. They didn't trust each other enough to even play together, maybe they could use that if they had any trouble. Aran certainly wouldn't have minded the idea of giving a few Andoran's a knuckle sandwich, his heritage speaking for him there.

"Hey! You cheated!" There it was, the defining moment where the dagger players had had enough of losing. A few of the chop players were already looking over, Aran's diminutive height marking him as one of their own. Any excuse was a good one, but he wasn't sure whether to push it. In fact, he might just throw it over to Thera.

"Well my good man." Aran addressed the broadshouldered sailor in an exaggerated Andoran drawl. "I do say, I think you're being rather rude. What do you think dear? Were we cheating? I think he's being very rude, what should we do about it?"

Aran

Tower Guard

Thera could not help but laugh as they won match after match. Aran was a man after her own heart and he knew how to play the game. Win by just enough to keep them interested. They had drawn quite a crowd and the line to play never seemed to cease. Her head was no longer swimming in fact she had about drank herself sober again..well almost. She stumbled a bit as she loosed the black handled dagger, but it hit its mark close enough. “ Aye, I doubt there is a man in here who can beat us!†She boasted.

Thera was no fool, she knew he goading could lead to quite a fight but she felt empowered! She was free!! Her dark eyes glinted with excitement as they won again, on impulse she laid a kiss on Aran. The man was making her quite rich, and he had helped her to find herself again. He was not all bad after all.

She became engrossed in their game, and taunting these fool Andorians to bet more. And then it happened, the moment Thera had been hoping for. “Hey, You cheated! Her pink lips parted in what appeared to be a cruel smile and she planted her hips in an aggressive stance. "Well my good man." Aran addressed the broadshouldered sailor in an exaggerated Andoran drawl. "I do say, I think you're being rather rude. What do you think dear? Were we cheating? I think he's being very rude, what should we do about it?"

Her curls swayed as she eased her sword, and she turned her back on the man who had accused them and winked at Aran. “ Well my love†She cooed her attentions apparently all on Aran. “I have never been a woman to take defamation to my character lightly†She staggered seeming more drunk than not, but she was focused and her head clear. She turned and approached the man who spoke. She barely came to his chest and yet he stepped back under her stare. She imagined she seemed half crazed to threaten a man, when she was so clearly out numbered. “ It seems we have an issue sir, you see…my companion and I are as honest as they come†She slowly walked him in a circuit, taking him in from head to toe. “ And I fear I simply cannot allow such lies to be spread, now tell me†She leaned casually against the table resting one foot on the other. The crowd had spread out leaving Thera, Aran and this man all alone. The large brute shifted un easily from foot to foot. “ Do you claim we cheat because you saw some trick, or is it that you simply feel a FOOL for losing†Things seldom went well when you called a man a fool. Thera hooked her thumbs in her belt and saunted back to Aran unconcerned with what the man did.

Thera had done this before, of that Aran was fairly certain. She had gone straight into the act, and even managed to menace the man despite how much larger he was. Then she was game enough to turn her back on him and walk back towards Aran as if she was without a care in the world. Aran managed to catch her eye in that moment and it was then that he realised that she wasn't quite as drunk as she had started. A happy buzz perhaps, but not like she was before where she let things slip that she would have otherwise kept to herself. A good thing considering what was about to happen.

The man she had insulted was going red in the face as others looked at how he'd been stared down. There was only one thing for it of course for a man who had lost his pride before others, besides doing the sensible thing and letting it slide. In response to the man charging at Thera's back, Aran upturned his mug as he pulled it back and threw it with an accuracy that bespoke years of practice. Smashing into the man's nose squarely, there was a yelp as he jumped back and blood pouring from it to be mixed with the tears from the pain that followed.

But that was neither here nor there as the other Andorans didn't feel like letting such a thing slide. Upturning a nearby table into a pair that moved for him, Aran called out for help and Cairhien as he threw a punch at the next man who came close. He needn't have bothered, Cairhienin spoiling for a fight from the tables playing Chop were already deserted save for those still collecting their coin so it wasn't taken from them during the brawl. That reminded Aran of their own winnings, which were safely tied to his belt.

Someone grabbing his arms from behind, he kicked the man infront of him in the crotch who decided he'd try and take advantage and stomping on the foot of the assailant behind him, he turned around and knocked that man over in turn only to have a chair crash into his back. Trying to pick himself up off the floor only earned him a boot in the side. Rolling, he was going to sweep that man's feet when a fellow Cairhiening tackled his attacker which gave him time to get to his feet. Grabbing the nearest Andoran, he began laying into him while trying to so Thera amidst the brawl.

Aran

Tower Guard

Thera heard the heavy footsteps as they approached her back, and she turned prepared to fight, but Aran saved her the trouble. His pewter mug struck the man square in the nose and that was all the time she had to think.

A large man more than a hand taller grabbed her by the hair and began pulling her neck backwards with great force. She trusted fate and brought her hand straight back, landing a hard blow to his crotch. The man doubled over in pain, but as soon as he fell two more took his place. Thera spun catching the first man in the jaw with her foot sending him flying, the other was the unfortunate recipient of her left elbow. The room had become split cleanly in half, Andorians on one side Cairhienin’s the other. There truly was no love lost there.

A man standing no taller than herself caught Thera with a surprisingly hard left hook. Her cheek began to swell on impact and so did her anger. Dropping to the floor she swept the man’s feet from underneath him and pounced on his chest. One fist after another connected with the man’s face, leaving his nose a bloody pulp. Only the chair that struck her back ended the assault. In the minutes it took her to regain her breath the wielder of the chair had disappeared into the crowd. Standing with shaky steps Thera swung and took down the Andorian that blocked her path. She needed to find Aran and fast, this brawl had become out of hand.

A step forward brought her too her knee’s, blood poured from her leg. A small daggered stuck out from her thigh. Gritting her teeth Thera pulled the dagger from her thigh and launched into the arm of the man preparing to throw another. The desire to kill him overwhelmed her, but there was no need. Hobbling she tried to reach Aran. A man had him from behind while another laid into his chest. With a quick motion the man who held Aran received a dagger in the leg. As he hit the floor Thera kicked high and the other man went flying. Grabbing Aran by the arm they began trying to make their way to the stairs.

Making their way down the stairs, Aran cursed as they got to the bottom, the sound of whistles. Someone had alerted the guard to the ruckus here since the bouncers were having little luck containing it. Pulling on Thera's hand, Aran had no intention of them either fighting the guard or being arrested. Making their way to the kitchen door even as the guard crashed through the main entrance and made for the stairs. Getting a couple of startled looks from those working away, no one stopped them as they reached the back door and slipped outside.

The cold air assaulting them as they shut the door behind them, Aran led the way. The whistles were still sounding, and boots pounding the cobblestones echoed in the night. Turning down another street, the sound was coming from all around them, it was the grace of the light that they didn't run into anyone. It was after the whistles had faded off and they were able to take an easier pace that Aran noticed Thera was limping. Stopping for a moment, he took a look at her leg and frowned. "Its not bad, I can take care of it so the Aes Sedai needn't know what happened. We'll just have to hope Serena passed out earlier when we were drinking and didn't wake up."

Getting a nod of assent from Thera, the pair soon returned to the inn. There weren't so many people around by then and most of them were in their own cups so they were able to get up the stairs unnoticed to their rooms. Letting her open the door to her room, Aran pointed to her bed. "Take off your breeches and go lie down there, I'll go get my things. Try to clean it off as best you can as well."

Turning, Aran walked to his own door and let himself inside. He would need a few things, some cloth to bandage the wound and some alcohol to clean it. He also had some ointment made from ground ivy, five finger and sunburst root for her bruises, but more importantly he needed the healall for the stabwound. Frowning as he rooted through his things, he was sure it was somewhere. At least Serena wasn't about, that only meant she was asleep or she was in her room and had fuzzed the bond, which meant she was unaware of her warder either way.

Aran

Tower Guard

Thera’s leg throbbed as they made there way careful through the streets. The wound was not deep but it had struck a nerve. At times she felt as if only Aran’s hand were keeping her from falling. Stopped in an alley way Aran bent to study her wound. "Its not bad, I can take care of it so the Aes Sedai needn't know what happened. We'll just have to hope Serena passed out earlier when we were drinking and didn't wake up."

For a moment she panicked, but her pain overcame her fears and they stumbled back into the inn. The stairs proved a tricky task, Thera seemed to have lost the ability to bend her leg. Luckily most patrons at their inn were too drunk to notice Thera and Aran’s haggard state. "Take off your breeches and go lie down there, I'll go get my things. Try to clean it off as best you can as well."

Once the door shut behind him, Thera removed her boots and pants, laying her sword next to the door. In only her small clothes Thera felt a bit exposed but it was not the first time a man had tended her wounds. Filling the water basin she washed her face, and then tried to clean as much blood from her wound as she could. It had stopped bleeding but it was a nasty gash. She cursed the freezing water; it was times like this that an Aes Sedai came in handy. If for nothing more than to heat the water. Catching a glimpse of herself in the cracked mirror Thera cringed. Her red gold curls were tangled and dirk still made tracks on her face. As quickly as she could she rewashed her face and made an attempt at removing the knots.

Limping across the room she retrieved her belt knife and took a seat on the bed. Carefully she silt her pants around her leg and removed the lower half. Setting her belt knife at her side she took a closer look at the wound. She was bent over her leg when Aran came back in.

Opening the door to Thera's room using a pair of fingers to turn the door knob, Aran pushed it open with his foot and as he stepped inside, used his heel to close it again. Locking it in case Serena did decide to come investigate, he set the things he'd brought on the bedstand next to Thera. Ointments, cloth, and most importantly a bottle of his own brew. It'd hurt like hell when he poured it on the wound, so when he uncorked it he offered it to Thera. "You'll want at least a few swallows of this before I pour it on that wound."

Sitting on the bed next to her leg, Aran took another look at it now that he could see it in the candlelight. It wasn't deep, but it certainly wasn't pretty either. Might even leave a small scar depending on how well it mended. Looking up as the bottle was offered back to him, Aran took it and noticed it was a little lighter than he remembered it, she hadn't skimped. Pouring the alcohol on his hands, he rubbed them together to make sure they were clean before looking up at Thera. "Take a deep breath, let it out then take another one."

Holding the bottle above her wound, he waited for her to take her first breath and as she released it he poured the alcohol on. The only thing she did was breath sharply, Aran was surprised as he would have given into the urge to hit something or had to bite down on one of the pillows. Setting the bottle aside, it was the healall he took up as worked as gently he could on her leg. She took it all rather stoically, which he was rather impressed by. It was one thing to do it when one 'had' to, another when it was only the two of them here.

Lifting her leg up slightly at the knee so it bent, the bandage came next. Firm, but not so tight that it would cut off blood to the leg, that was soon done with. Now all that was left her bruises, they would save her from trouble with her Aes Sedai yet. Cracking open the jar, he scooped out a bit and passed the jar to her. "Put this on your bruises, with any luck you'll be feeling well enough in the morning that Serena won't know what went on." Letting her worry about her face, he worked the ointment into her legs as quickly as he could while being thorough.

Aran

Tower Guard

Her leg throbbed and Aran’s touch only seemed to make it worse. He was gentle and yet the pain was overwhelming. A small noise escaped her lips and she attempted to cover it with a cough.

Thera was a proud women, and introverted ever since she had been tossed aside by both her mentor and her Aes Sedai. She had no real friends, and the few acquaintances she had were always kept at arms length. She could not remember the last time she had confided in someone. A single tear fell down her cheek and she turned her face away. †How can everyone be so cruel?†She muttered to herself and the wall. Aran’s hand rubbed slower and Thera turned to stare him in the eyes. “ Can I ask you something?†He nodded in agreement. â€How many times have you left a women heart broken and unable to breathe? So scared to get close to anyone she shuts out the whole world? Her voice was flat and her words held a bite. Her face colored slightly, Aran was not the source of her pain, but he was a man and with her head full of brew that was enough. “ All you men are the same! You see us as objects! Something pretty to dawdle on your knee until another better comes along!†Pulling away from his touch she stood straight and looked down at Aran. “ Do I look like an object to be used? Apparently I do to some! Do I to you? With out waiting for him to answer she snatched the bottle of brew from the table and took a long swig.

A tear, that was how it started. It stained Thera's cheek as it trickled its way to her jaw where it disappeared from view. Her gaze was the same sort of look that he had seen in so many women's eyes, yet at the same time it was unique. That was an important thing to remember about any woman, let alone any person, each and every one of them was different and that was why it was important to listen. And what he heard made him wonder how much Thera had truly been hiding under her facade of the perfect Gaidar. The night seemed to leap from one revelation to another.

Wincing as Thera decided to stand as she made her point, Aran restrained from reaching out and forcing her to lie back down. If she was troubled enough to be able to ignore her leg while she made her point then that was the more important thing to deal with. It would have been amusing another time to reflect that of all things, Aran would employ honesty, but then that would be for another time, this was now. She needed a truthful opinion it and he wasn't going to withold it from her, trust was a tenuous thing and something that couldn't be built on lies.

"I don't know whether I have ever hurt a woman so much that they have wanted to shut out the world, but I know I have hurt some by refusing to be theirs alone." Calm, if somewhat tired, Aran continued as Thera pulled the bottle away and looked down to him. "On the otherhand, I never offered to be theirs alone either. And if you think you're a mere bauble you're sorely mistaken. Do you fear me? That I'm here only to woo you over then cast you aside when I found a new distraction?"

She didn't answer so Aran spoke on. "Trinkets don't have value, friends do. I would hope that I could call you friend." Grinning, Aran added. "A beautiful one at that whom I probably wouldn't be able to say no to." The grin softening to a smile, Aran continued. "But a friend either way. Maybe you would call me friend too, but that is really up to you to decide."

Reaching for the bottle, she didn't resist as he took it from her and helped himself to a swig. "It sounds like you have a story to tell. You should lie down first, because if you don't I'm going to make you. I didn't bandage you up so you could then go and ruin the effort I made. Now lie back down." Aran leaned back and sat the bottle on the chest at the foot of the bed before standing up. Not that it was intimidating, she was still looking down at him but he pointed to the bed.

"Now, before that wound starts seeping."

Aran

Tower Guard

• 2 weeks later...

OOC: Sorry for the delay!

Damn this man! And his vile brew! She should have stayed where she belonged, guarding Serena while she slept; Acting the perfect lap dog, a tiger that had been tamed and taught to obey. That’s what she was, what all Warder’s were. Merely caged animals who’s instincts were kept in tight rein by the women who possessed them. She still paced as Aran began to speak. "I don't know whether I have ever hurt a woman so much that they have wanted to shut out the world, but I know I have hurt some by refusing to be theirs alone." Thera shook her head, her disarrayed curls swaying furiously. Why could men not commit? “On the otherhand, I never offered to be theirs alone either. And if you think you're a mere bauble you're sorely mistaken. Do you fear me? That I'm here only to woo you over then cast you aside when I found a new distraction?"

Her eyes blazed with fury and Thera’s mind raced, she knew that with a heart as cold and walled off as her’s she would never fall so hard for someone again but… She stared at Aran hard her inner thoughts well hidden behind her mask. She longed to make just one person unable to breathe. Spin a man’s head so thoroughly that he was never distracted by any but her. Aran’s kind words brought her back to reality. "Trinkets don't have value, friends do. I would hope that I could call you friend." Grinning, Aran added. "A beautiful one at that whom I probably wouldn't be able to say no to." The grin softening to a smile, Aran continued. "But a friend either way. Maybe you would call me friend too, but that is really up to you to decide."

His words held a tinge of truth and Thera almost smiled. She had never believed herself beautiful, and the words were probably meant to comfort but she admired him for trying to cheer her up. Thera handed him the bottle and began pacing again. She did not have friends, she did not need them. Warders weren’t allowed a luxury like friendship. She was a weapon and no more. "It sounds like you have a story to tell. You should lie down first, because if you don't I'm going to make you. I didn't bandage you up so you could then go and ruin the effort I made. Now lie back down. Now, before that wound starts seeping."

She allowed herself to be ushered to bed. Aran held more surprises than she had ever suspected. Perhaps they were not so different. Studying his face she searched for any sign this was all a lie, his kind words, his gentle hands, she could find none. Grabbing his shirt Thera pulled his face down level with her’s. The smell of booze was overwhelming, but this close there was no telling who the offender was. “ Friends? I consider you a friend and I will until you give me a reason to distrust you. And I warn you..friend.. a women who has been scorned as many times as I have does not take kindly to being hurt” Thera sank back, the effort of holding Aran, though he put up no fight had taken a lot out of her. Her strong fingers were still curled around Aran’s shirt and when she opened her eyes, Aran’s eyes were inches from hers. “ As a friend I do not want to offend you, but..” What had she been about to say? Her head wobbled and she felt the room begin to spin. Swaying slightly Thera fell forward her forehead resting on his. She was having a hard time remembering her own name. “ Did you mean….” Damn why could she not complete a thought!

He'd been pulling the covers over her when she pulled him towards to her. Women seemed to find reserves of strength at the strangest times, and in this case Thera had managed to pull him off balance. Straddling her so he didn't land on her leg, there was a scant few inches separating their faces. The scent of alcohol almost overpowered that of the ointment that had been applied to her, but Aran barely noticed it as Thera spoke. It seemed they were friends, though she wasn't going to take kindly to being hurt. Then again, no friend ever did and he had no intention of hurting her at all.

What followed next puzzled Aran. She wanted to ask something of him, but what was it? With her head resting on his, she seemed a little dazed as she was either trying to recall what she was saying or was waiting for an answer. Narrowing the answer down at this point was impossible, so Aran decided to answer everything that he could and hope that he managed to answer what she was after.

"I mean a few things. When I said I thought you a friend I meant it. When I said you were beautiful I meant it. And somewhere between all that I also mean for you to get better. Or did you mean something else? Ask and I'll answer." Aran grinned at her, he was surprised that she held him like this but he wouldn't push her to do anything she didn't want to. If the things she had said before were anything to go by, she'd been hurt enough by different people without him adding to it.

Aran

Tower Guard

Why should she care if he thought she was beautiful? She was a warrior more than a woman. But with his face only inches from her’s Thera found it hard to think straight. It had been years since she had felt anything such as this. Taking a deep breath she released her grip, but still stared hard into his eyes. A moment such as this could manifest in many different ways, some more detrimental then others. If they truly were friends would one night harm anything? Or was it too new a friendship to begin testing its bounds?

The heat coming off Aran was enough to help get Thera’s thoughts in order. She still felt as if she had consumed her weight in ale, but her head no longer swam and her thoughts became clear. Since being bonded she had taken no chances not pre-approved by Serena, she felt as if she were losing herself. She did not want to be just a warder, she wanted her laughter back. “ I may be more than a bit drunk, and I apologize in advance if I offend” Wiggling careful she pulled herself from under Aran, wincing when she bent her leg. The pain was searing and for a moment she paused gritting her teeth. The pain passed and she opened her eyes to see Aran staring down at her wound. She took that moment to slip next to him and grab his hand. “ Thank you” The words stung as she uttered them. Thera had always hated asking for help and admitting she had needed it was hard for her. “I am horrible with thank you’s so I will leave it at that, and this” She leaned in and pressed her lips to his. Thera kissed him as thoroughly as she knew how. She could not tell the affect it would have, but she pulled back and her face flushed a deep crimson; red enough to match her curls.

Why was it that she could face a Fade and not blink, but when it came to men she was as foolish as a little girl?

As far as thank you's went, Aran would have been the happiest man ever if every woman thanked him the way Thera just did. As it was, he settled for being happiest man of the moment as he responded with everything he had. When she finally parted, she was as red as could be and he was sure that he had a bit of colour in his cheeks as well. He found himself thinking about maybe taking it further, if there was a chance for it the time to strike the iron was now while it was hot. She certainly pulled at him, most women did but beautiful women more so, and women he liked even more than that.

But no, as tempting as it was he wasn't about to hurt a newfound friend. Better to let such a thing come about more slowly if it was to happen at all. Keeping a friend was preferable to a night of pleasure and weeks of resentment. Well, that and it was just the right thing to do, as strange as it might have seemed to some for him to think that way. Cupping her face with one hand, he brushed her cheek with a thumb as he spoke with an easy smile. "If that was a horrible thank you, then you can be as horrible as you want."

She blushed further at that and with a chuckle, Aran pushed on. "Thank you Thera, but now you should get some sleep. I will see you in the morning, no?" Getting off the bed, he collected his things as he added. "And don't wreck that dressing, I'll come by your room and check on it before you go down to breakfast and put some more healall on it while I'm at it." Opening the door, he grinned at her. "Night Thera, sleep well." And with that, he closed the door behind him and that was that.

Aran

Tower Guard