DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Gawyn Thread

Zyntras

I really don't understand all the hate for Gawyn; imho he's an excellent character. The WoT is full of characters that are *convinced* that they know the "right" thing to do, and in their arrogance they frequently make a mess out of things. By comparison Gawyn's personal conflicts are a refreshing breath of fresh air. Personally I admire his devotion to what he saw as his duty during the attempt to free Siuan despite the painful necessity of fighting against his instructors. I also sympathise with his subsequent disillusionment with Elaida's White Tower and the resulting inner turmoil over where his loyalties properly lie. I'm tempted to speculate that his experiences may have been shaped by RJ's during Vietnam. He shows a great deal of intelligence as well as character while leading The Younglings, and I give him extra points for doing so while in very nasty situation. It sounds like a lot of people seem to think that he should magically intuit what's going on despite the fact that he isn't in a position to have good information. As it stands I see him as doing the best that can be expected in a world that makes no sense and is tangibly falling apart all around him.

Archived