DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Im On a Boat (Attn Edana)

Sangreal

OOC Yes the title is from the song by the same name, I thought it would be funny

The new warhorse was only half trained and way too spirited to be effective. Sandre had already had the animal brought to the docks and walked there himself alongside Edana. Though her and Dante were leaving to Tear for training Sandre found it to be a great opportunity to get the horse trained properly and take care of some trade. There were few trainers better than the ones in Tear. Known for their fine breeds of animals Sandre was sure to find a good trainer. He had been playful with Edana all morning. Packing which should have taken less than an hour ended up taking all morning for all the distractions both were happy to provide for one another. Dante himself was running late and Sandre guessed it would be for the same reason. Sandre smiled at the thought of reaching the docks. Though his family did lots of trading they owned few boats. However Sandre made sure to get a particular boat for this one. The "Rose and Heart" was a ship only a couple years old. It was particularly special because the name was one Sandre had given to Edana. The same designs he put on her armor and weapon he made her. She was his Rose and Heart, fitting that she see her ship the first time together. He wasnt going to mention the name, instead waiting to see if she would notice. She had more than a few whistles from sailors and dock workers as they approached, sailors were always on the hunt it seemed though they kept a respectful distance. Maybe it was the look she gave them, maybe it was the huge sword on Sandre's back? Who could say for sure? As they approached the ship Sandre pretended nothing was amiss as he approached the Captain, Ban Arthur.

"Master Kaldun, My lady Keller." Ban said with a slight bow. "I am Captain Ban Arthur of the Rose and Heart. My ship is yours. I have a guest cabin set for each of you and we are ready as soon as Master Dante arrives."

Sandre smirked at the thought of having a cabin separate from Edana. He would have to just sneak over to her room at night which could be fun. As they stepped upon the long ship Sandre whispered to her a small joke about her legs already being shaky on the water knowing full well it was the mornings distractions that caused that. The Rose and Heart was a ship with little cargo space. It didnt need much. It carried only silk from away lands. The rest of the ship was set up with luxurious cabins. Even nobles had to travel and not many of them preferred to rough it on the road or deal with cramped smelly ships. So when not moving silk it moved high paying nobles. Often the ship would be rented for weeks or even a full month for a wedding or long parties. When Edana opened the door to her cabin Sandre wondered if she would ever leave it.

"I will be right across from you." Sandre said as he looked at a small paper with his name written upon it that was stuck to the door. Edana did not answer. Sandre was unsure she heard him or not but noticed she left her door cracked. Taking a peek inside he didnt hesitate to drop his pack by the door to his room and shut before following her into hers.

Dante was late. He needed the training, Rasheta knew it, it didnt make letting him go any easier though. She tried everything, keeping him in bed, getting angry with him, wrapping him in air, before finally she reluctantly let him go. He didnt want to. He had always acted so independent but now he kept gazing towards the tower, towards her window as he walked towards the docks. He couldnt see her in it of course, but he knew she was looking right back at him. It would be the first time they were apart since she confessed her love. He asked her for something to remember her by on lonely nights a week before. She gave him a long silk ribbon with her scent so strongly on it that as he held it to his nose to breathe her in he stopped and considered canceling. Still though, he was a servant and would be a better servant for going. With a heavy heart he continued.

He reached his cabin below deck finally and upon hearing the voice of Edana in her cabin with Sandre he really wanted to go home. He returned to the deck as the ship began to move, gazing at the tower until he could see it no longer.

Edana thoroughly enjoyed packing. She even woke Sandre up early to get started, knowing exactly the problems that would arise to keep them from getting to the docks until much later. She saddled her horse with a smile on her face, earning her a few sideways looks from the stable hands, but they didn't say anything. Ed smiling at them was unusual enough. Usually, by the time she got to the stable, she was already irritated and, while she tried to control her irritation and save it for the people who deserved it, she wasn't smiling.

A delicious soreness changed the way she walked and she prayed no one noticed. It was a prayer that deserted her completely as they made it to the docks and prepared to board the ship. She muttered, angry that she'd left her hair unbound, though she used it to shield the blush riding her cheeks at some more raucous comments. Luckily, they kept it to whistles and lewd comments.

She peered up at the gangplank as the horses were loaded and caught the name of the ship in large, proud letters on the side. She wrinkled her brow, but didn't slow down as Sandre guided her onto the boat. Her nickname, laid out so boldly brought another blush to her cheeks. His teasing about her "sea legs" didn't help, either. She was still a little speechless as the Captain introduced himself and his boat, driving home that it hadn't been her imagination. She smiled warmly at him and let Sandre continue guiding her along. It seemed to make him happy enough, and since she didn't know her way around, she was ok with letting him.

"I will be right across from you," she heard him say. She didn't turn around to acknowledge it, though. Naturally, he'd be right across the hallway. She smirked a bit as she entered her room, leaving the door open a bit and moving around to get comfortable in her surroundings. He couldn't resist an open door and well she knew it. It took barely a moment before her door was opening again and she turned towards it, her lips stretching into a smile.

"Is it bad luck for a woman to be aboard a ship that bears her name?" She asked, tilting her head and feigning concern. Her grin spread a bit more and she laughed. "And what is this 'My Lady Keller' nonsense? You're not really telling people I have any right to a title, are you?"

~Edana

Sandre stepped in feeling the ship move. Meaning Dante had found his way on board. "No its not bad luck. Ban and the crew believe it will be just the opposite. I have not called you a lady with a title. You act the part though. You have for awhile now, ever since you served in the Borderlands, you just never noticed." He said with a smile.

"Yet you are still the soldier as well, and when we are in private or out of the sight of Aes Sedai, fellow Guards, and Lords your Edana as I know and love her." He approached slowly and cupped her face in his hands, tender despite his size, surprisingly so. "I never asked you to become or act the lady part Edana. You did that on your own."

Sandre gazed around the room. With such a luxurious ship he wondered where they were keeping the horse. Likely it was the only cargo on board. While he was on the ship though he had promised Edana he would take care of her since her training would start here. Thankfully, he wouldnt have to cook for her, that was being handled by the ships cook who was quite skilled. Edana had took care of him when he took up the path of the blade.

"So... I figure I will have your bath ready when you come in at night, a meal waiting, and a massage or... whatever else you may want until you go to sleep."

Dante hated boats. He loved the water. Could out swim and hold his breath longer than both his brothers. But the river and the ocean never... swayed like this while swimming in it. His stomach was rolling on the first day. As the night began to come he was determined not to sleep in the cabin. Any heat at all seemed to make it worse and the cool air did him wonders. He lost his stomach over the edge so many times he had to keep drinking water to have something else to toss over. He had been in a small canoe and on a river raft but it was nothing like this. Ban said this ship swayed much less than most ships which made it even worse in his mind.

"Great idea Dante... leave Rasheta behind... lose your lunch for a while. What a wonderful idea for a trip. I have had the blackened innards of Trollocs spray my full body and not even gagged yet I get on this blasted ship and..." he stopped in time to heave over the rail again before sinking down and leaning against it. "Of course it would be named after Edana. She always gets me in situations like this. Couldnt get me to toss up on the trash detail so here we are." He sighed before doing his best Edana impression. "Lets go learn the path of water Dante." he said to crewmen's snickers. He shot them a sharp look and they turned and went back to work. He slid down so he laid on his side on the cold deck. "Oh creator what a cruel joke. Sandre is down there with her using the motion for you only know what and the Warder is up here greener than a spring cucumber."

Ed snorted and shook her head. Cupped in his hands, it meant they went with her as she moved. "I've not been a lady, Sandre, I've been a scared out of my mind halfwit with wall duty!" She laughed and swatted at his hands. "Now, I'm assuming since I see movement out the window that your brother is here. Let's go put him out of his misery, shall we? I believe his Aes Sedai slipped a little something extra in that bonding weave. He pines worse than a farm boy who just walked into Mayene!"

She laughed and pulled away, glad she'd worn breeches for this trip. "I believe I need to work on my sea legs, anyway!"

~Edana

Sandre followed with an amused smile on his face. Not too many things gave him as much joy as just being around Edana and playing with her. He stopped her for a kiss before they went up. "Lets see how Dante is hanging in there. He would sick up riding a cart and swear that the driver was trying to hit every rock possible. This may not be good."

Dante was quietly laying in the shade by the railing slipping in and out of sleep. Sleep would be perfect to adjust to this right? The crew didnt pay him any mind. He opened his eyes to see Sandre and Edana approaching. "You look about as shaky legged as I feel Edana." He said at least slightly happy he wasnt the only one affected this way. Sandre was fine which Dante could almost hate him for. Edana did blush which he found curious. "Im just taking a rest... just uhm... didnt get much sleep and its so cool up here... yeah I think I may just sleep right here."

Ed shook her head as her blush receded and sank to the deck next to Dante, leaning her back against the railing and crossing her legs under her. If it made him feel better to think her rubbery legs had anything to do with the rocking of this boat, what would it hurt? Maybe he'd stop mooning faster for thinking it!

She couldn't resist a little ribbing, though. "I understand that, believe me. Could barely get a handful of winks in myself. Something about the night before a trip must make all the Kaldun's a bit restless." She smirked and shot Sandre a look. "He's right, you know. It is a bit cooler up here. I'd wager by the time we reach Tear, Dante here will be swinging from the rigging lines overhead and taunting us for keeping our feet on the decks!"

~Edana

Sandre looked them over with a slight grin in the corner of his mouth. "I think just the night makes us restless. Sometimes mornings and afternoons as well... always when on ships." Dante had nodded to that comment though he was obviously not catching any deep meanings.

When she commented on the rigging he responded to that too. "Dont give him any ideas." Sandre only watched quietly for a moment. "Well... you do not have long to train in this and you have to do it from a book... I will leave you to it." He then returned to the cabin.

Dante was miserable. That Sandre even suggested starting so soon was not sitting well with this stomach. Weak and shaky himself he rose. "Hes right Im afraid... while there is daylight we should get started."

Starting consisted of him trying to get used to the rocking motion... and trying to psyche out Edana with comments on the rocking and rolling of the boat.

Edana smirked as she watched Sandre disappear again. She shook her head and pulled out the book she'd carried up to the deck, flipping the pages open. "Alright, let's see what we can teach ourselves..."

She ran her fingertip over the neat lines, her brow furrowed together. "According to this, the first step is 'being in tune with the flow of the water under you.'" She grinned up at Dante's wobbling stance. "Try the Spring and the Void, Dante. Close your eyes and picture the flow of the water and let it soothe you."

She closed her own eyes, taking a deep breath and reaching out with her senses, began to feel the strength in the flow of the water under the boat. She released everything into the water; her worry for Sandre, her concern for Dante's state, her frustration at having to instructor, her fear for the future. The peace that always came with it settled in her mind and she sighed as her shoulders relaxed.

She opened her eyes again and looked up at Dante, her lips twisting into a smile. "Feel better?"

~Edana

Dante did feel better if not a little empty in the stomach after. The swaying of the boat played tricks on you though. Dante walked over to flip through the book. Some of it he had done on his own with Sandre since it was common training in Shienar. Standing in water and swinging iron rods at the current. Some of it looked... a little silly. "So we really have to walk on this boat on our tip toes?" He had a slight grin and Edana looked at the book thinking he was joking. "Ah this should be fun. We get to beat each other with lathes and the other has to use the motion of the boat to dodge." Flipping more his jaw dropped at a picture of a man doing the splits. "You have to be kidding me... I cant do this!" It wasnt fair. If he managed it all he would get would be pain where Edana... would get a happier Sandre.

Edana rolled her eyes and pushed Dante's hand away from the book. "Are you afraid, then? If you stretched properly, this wouldn't be an issue, you know?" She pointed to the picture and arched her eyebrow. "And I bet I beat you to the main mast on my toes, too. Being a girl is actually going to come in handy here!"

She grinned and set the book aside. She eased herself to her feet and put her hands on her hips. "You're not going to get all full of male pride, are you? You'll appreciate the balance, later, I'm betting..."

~Edana

can't wait to see Dante on his toes... ;)

This was not something Dante would get good at in one day. His first attempts earned him snickers to outright laughter by the crew. Not to mention a few bruises from falling on his face. By the time lunch rolled around his feet and ankles were sore. Quietly he ate not liking this part of the training at all. It would be over soon.

Just after the first day he was discouraged. Day three he could barely walk.

Edana had a little difficulty with her balance at first, but she decided to do something about it. During the evenings, when most of the crew was below for their evening meal, she would drag a box of dress shoes she'd stashed into her luggage out. The heels were impossibly high and she remembered how difficult it had been to get used to walking in them on flat ground. She made her way up on deck, dropping her boots by the door and trading them for the heels. She closed her eyes as she straightened up, feeling the slow rocking of the boat under her.

Cautiously she took a step and then another. Her ankle twisted painfully, but she straightened it up and kept walking until she reached the railing along the side. She clutched it for a moment and walked back to the other railing, each step painful. She made a few laps the first night, then tucked the shoes away when she heard the crew returning. The next night, she did the same, though it was less painful and much easier to walk. By the third night, she left the shoes in her cabin and just moved barefoot across the deck. It was much easier than fighting the soles of the boots.

As she made her way down to her cabin again, she paused and knocked on Dante's door. She hadn't seen him much the last few days and not at all today. "Dante?" she called softly. "You didn't jump ship and swim back to Tar Valon, did you?"

~Edana

Dante had been soaking his feet in a bitter smelling herbal mix when Edana came in. In his lap he had a small book. He wrote in it every night for Rasheta. To let her know she was thought of... or at least she would know when he got back. He set it aside and pulled out a second pan for Edana. However he knew she was getting her aches massaged out by Sandre.

"Were we supposed to train tonight? I twisted my ankle trying dance on that deck like some tavern maid on a table." he said bitterly. "I was just getting the hang of it though.I think standing on those thin buckets tomorrow will be rather painful though."

He patted the spot on the bed next to him for her to sit down. "Did you need something?"

• 2 weeks later...

Ed smiled and crossed the space, sinking onto the spot he indicated. She leaned back against the bulkhead behind her and crossed her arms, closing her eyes and sighing. "No, I don't need anything." She said softly. Just a bit of tension released from between her shoulders. "I am ready to be on dry land again, I'll have to admit. I've got my balance, I've even played with a few sword forms. I just feel..."

She shrugged and opened her eyes. "I feel caged in, Dante. Surrounded by water and boat and people staring at me like I'm an oddity." The looks sent her way every morning made her skin crawl. She'd found herself putting off Sandre's advances for days because of them. "I'm just ready to be away, I guess."

She leveled her eyes on him, saw something in his hand and nodded. "You feel it, too, don't you?"

~Edana

• 3 months later...

Dante nodded. "I have always hated boats and loved the water." He leaned back. "We don't have much longer... not with the way Sandre is pushing the crew. I saw him jump on the sweeps himself. You would think he was going to row us all the way to Tear with the way hes been acting the last few days." He smiled and put his hands behind his head and deepened his voice to do his best Sandre impressions "Make this glorified driftwood go faster! I want off this damn boat!"

The light humor was what both of them needed. When they finally stopped laughing he was surprised Sandre had not walked in hearing them. "Just a few more days and we dock and for all I care we can walk back. When we get back home though I am locking Rasheta in a room with me and having her Ajah head forbid her from leaving until I say so." he said with a devilish grin.

"That will cost me I am sure. What is the first thing you will do when you get off this thing? Me?... long... hot... bath."