DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Yay!

DarthRand

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hurrah, Kelitor! Owen will have those to your shortly. You are free to start planning your arrival and recruiting people to join if you need to, but you'll have to wait for the go ahead from Owen before you're free to RP.

Boy, I'm going to have my work cut out for me this week with all these arrival threads :D

*clicks refresh on his inbox repeatedly waiting for his OP scores and Novice Quiz to appear*

I think maybe I should run into an Aes Sedai in the library, since thats where my character would be. She could test me on a whim, and when she realizes to her shock that I actually can channel, she can haul me off for my white dress.

Who is this mysterious Owen I hear about? He sounds almost as suspicious as Bela. And Bela killed Asmodean you know. Think about it, Bela has been around since Two Rivers, she is STILL wandering around. Most recently, she was in the rebel Aes Sedai camp.  :o

Bela has always been a Darkfriend. How do you think the Trollocs knew where to find the al'Thor house in the first place?!  :o :o

Ooh I like that Bela conspiracy theory!

Owen's handle is Whitewolf, he is the RP admin and also the WT bio checker :)

Yeah, the "Bela is the Creator", "Bela is a Darkfriend" and "Bela killed Asmodean" are kind of gags you see sometimes because the "Who Killed Asmodean?" thread was beaten to death so much and pretty much every single character has been suggested as a killer at some point or another.

*sighs longingly for Whitewolf*

*Post*  ;)

Anyways, could someone explain to me how Skill balances out strength? I really don't get how that works. It seems to me that while you may be clumsy with weaving, it doesn't really matter how skillful you are if you simply aren't powerful enough in the elements to do the weave at all. I just don't see how we RP skill and how it balances out.

Oh, and would I be correct in assuming that Skill affects how many weaves our character can handle at once?

If you look at the weaves list- you not only have to have a certain strength in each element to perform the weave- but also must have a certain skill level.

Not sure if there is more to it than that, but- I figure it's much like swimming.

You can swim fast one of two ways:  move your arms faster than the other guy (turnover or, in this case strength)  or you can move more water with each stroke (technique, or in this case skill).

The fastest person is the swimmer who is strong in both, and both are equally important.

~Serey

Ok, well I got my email and my quiz and points and all that. My points are very... average  :P

30 strength, which is 2 above average, and 30 skill which is 2 below average. So I'm not going to get to do the bully thing in which I try and lord it over all the other Novices by holding crushing amounts of Saidar.

Well, can someone confirm for me that we can only get 3 bonus skill points? That would be frustrating. That would mean I am on the very verge of being able to channel Cutting Lines of Fire, but not quite.

I know that we're supposed to base our scores on weaves, but I can't quite decide where I want my last few points to go. At the same time, since Ykoria is slightly above average, I was going to have her have this lovely character flaw of being proud of that advantage. I can't decide whether I should maximize that by dividing my points to maximize her actual strength, or sacrifice one or two points so that in the event some lost weaves are re-discovered she could RP a power-hungry quest to learn these new (and possibly forbidden) weaves.

I can't quite decide whether I want to maximize my overall strength to 30 by going Air 7, earth 5, fire 5, spirit 6, water 7....

Or I could sacrifice a single point of overall strength (go to 29) and go Air 6, Earth 5, Fire 6, Spirit 6, Water 6. This would give me Inferno.... and the possibility to use Cutting Lines of Fire if I somehow managed to get another 4 skill points. I know I sound obsessed, but Cutting Lines of Fire just was always a really cool looking weave in the books is all. But this set up would sacrifice a point of overall strength.

Interestingly, I could set myself up to be capable of Balefire, meeting the requirements exactly with Air 5, Earth 5, Fire 5, Spirit 8, Water 5, Skill 30. But that would lower my overall strength by 2 points to 28 and kill my RP plans of being insufferably arrogant on the basis of actual strength. This is the least likely route for me. Balefire doesn't seem that worth it. Although looking at it, I would gain Traveling, but also lose Remove Taint and Mudslide. Meh.

Are there any plans for female channelers to discover Balefire? Ditto for Skimming and Traveling? I know the BT has Traveling, not sure about Skimming, and not Balefire yet.

I'm tending to like the setup that maximizes my actual strength, thus facilitating her turning into a smug, superior, somewhat nasty person who draws a great deal of her self-worth from her relative strength in the Power. But if there is potential for learning highly dangerous, forbidden and lethal weaves like Entering the Dream and Cutting Lines of Fire that might be worth sacrificing a little. Your thoughts?

Just to answer some of your questions -

- yes, you can only earn 3 bonus skill points. For every too saidar classes you take, you earn one point.

- seriously - you have a really good score. Don't worry about it too much. I have a strength of 23 for one of my characters and she is my favourite ;)

- Travelling and skimming have already been discovered by the WT in the main time line

- I really need to check up on this, but once upon a time in the tower, the unspoken hierarchy was not based on strength, but on age in our PSW. This may have changed though, so don't quote me until I confirm it with the other staff.

It's up to you how you decide to divide your points. You can go off the weave list, or perhaps focus on something you really want, like having super strength in fire and average everything else. Lavinya, for example, is weak as water in fire and earth, has average-ish air and water, but an 8 in Spirit, and the shielding talent. So even though she isn't strong, she still has that something to set her apart. Just food for thought :)