DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Innocent Amnesty

Karadar walked brazenly into the street in the outer district of Tear. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see people pointing at him and whispering to each other. He was fairly certain he even saw a few running for the guard barracks. Considering all his years as a blacksmith in this city it was ludicrous to think that he wouldn’t be recognized by  someone on the streets, but he really didn’t care at this moment. All that mattered to him was the building a few blocks in front of him. It was once a non-descript building, but now the Dragon’s Tooth mark on the outside made it impossible to mistake. It was a place of madness to the average citizen of Tear. It was the home of male channelers. And with nothing left in this world, Karadar was eager to throw himself to the belly of the beast. He glanced slightly behind as he reached out to open the door, noting that guards had begun to materialize down the street, obviously searching for something. Turning his head back to the door, he opened it and stepped inside.

As he shut the door behind himself, he saw a young man in all black standing off to his right. He wore a silver sword pin on his left collar which sparkled with the glint of something polished for hours and hours. Karadar spoke slowly, his voice hearse from a week of silence, “I’m a man who can channel and I’d like to speak to someone about joining the Asha’man.” The young man appeared taken a bit aback by Karadar’s voice and tattered clothing, but motioned him towards another door. With a nod of thanks, he stepped through it.

Beyond it, he found himself face to face with another man draped in black, wearing a silver sword and a golden dragon pinned to each collar. Karadar didn’t wait for the man to speak instead starting in, “My name is Karadar Kalthorn. I’m a man who can channel. A week ago, Lord Melkar killed my wife and tried to kill me. Instead I called down lightning accidentally killing his bodyguards, and killed him in self defense. I’m here to claim the Dragon’s amnesty and fight for him.”

Tai shrugged uncomfortably, looking over the paperwork behind the thick oaken desk. As part of becoming an Attack Leader, and possibly in a ploy to shake him out of his dark mood, he had been given an assignment to check in on some of the paperwork and affairs in Tear. Pinching the bridge of his nose and sighing he stood to give his back a rest. Knuckling his back he stretched, weaving Air to guide over the silver worked tray with the tea on it.

Weaving Fire into the pot he poured a cup of tea. He was still tortured by the vision of Aria, dying in front of him, and sleep had not come easy for him. He hung his head a moment in response to a bleak comment by Chaos, tucked away in his head.

At a knock he called for the man to enter and saw one of the Dedicated assigned here lead in a rather ragged fellow. He only had time to recognize the haunted look in the man's eyes before he spoke.

“My name is Karadar Kalthorn. I’m a man who can channel. A week ago, Lord Melkar killed my wife and tried to kill me. Instead I called down lightning accidentally killing his bodyguards, and killed him in self defense. I’m here to claim the Dragon’s amnesty and fight for him.” The man's voice was hoarse as his words were given flatly and devoid of emotion. Something called to Tai. A kinship of sorts with a man who had lost his life and was desperately clinging to Saidin to give him meaning.

He studied the man a moment, his tattered and worn clothing, his grim appearance. "I do not know if the Dragon's Amnesty covers what you have done," He paused as he noted the look of desperation in the man's eyes. "But I do not care either." The look of relief that flooded the man was almost tangible. "If you can indeed channel, you will be accepted into the rank of Asha'man as a Soldier. If not you will be taken to serve in the Legion of the Dragon."

The man nodded weakly and Tai motioned for him to sit. Pouring a cup of tea he pushed it across to the man before taking his own seat behind the desk. He sat considering the man for a moment before continuing. It was not everyday that those came seeking the Amnesty for relief from crimes such as this. He couldn't think of any violations bringing this man in for testing but decided it would best be done here. Plus, if he could channel it may give him an excuse to get out of paperwork for a bit.

Hearing a commotion he got to his feet and poked his head out the door, briefly telling the Dedicated that he was not to be disturbed. Returning to the Desk he locked eyes with Karadar. "I want you to focus on this, to the exclusion of all else." He said, stretching his hand out and channeling a small flame in the shape of a sword. "Block out all distraction but the sound of my voice. Become the sword. I will tell you a bit about my own story."

As he detailed his relationship with Aria and the time they spent together when young, he had to fight to keep his voice calm. He explained how she left him suddenly, his life without her and his decision to go to the Tower to be tested. He told him of his life at the Tower, Aria's re-appearance, and finally her Death at the hands of a Taint-Crazed Attack Leader. He knew the man might be put off by such tales of madness and despair. It was worth the risk. After about a half hour of telling his story, just near the end, he felt it. The resonating pulse in the other man that told him he could channel. He finished his story and released the Fire weave.

"You can channel my friend." He said, looking him straight in the eye. "Your life has meaning once again." He held the man's gaze to let him know he shared his very private pain before standing. It was an odd way to feel about a man learning he could channel, but that is how it was. Weaving a gateway he gestured for the man to step through.

"We need to head to the Farm as we lovingly call it, to get you suited up explain what will be expected of you, come with me." Without waiting for the man to reply he stepped through into Andor himself.

OOC: We will continue this on the BT boards. THIS thread is up for you to reply to, Welcome to the Tower  ;D