DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The perils of homeownership...

When we moved in last summer, Segurant and I both agreed the front door needed repainting. It's LAVENDER. Let that sink in for a moment. I have a LAVENDER front door on my chocolate brown house. I can put up with the laundry room being orange, because its a laundry room and no one really sees those. But my front door? Ugh.

So we've decided to paint it a nice brick red, which will match better and have better feng shui and whatever. I get to do it alone, of course, because I'm on my (absolutely heavenly) summer vacation.

Now, my question is thus: What exactly do I need to do this? Do I need to strip the existing paint off? (There appears to be a layer of orange paint under it) Do I just need a roller or a brush? Does anyone have any tips for me?

Sand it and primer and paint...OR

You could use *smacks head.....* Whats that freaking cover up paint called anyone!!!!! Its reallly thick white primer paint, you can paint over black paint and it would work...I cant for the life of me remember the name..But I will, assure you, prolly at midnight when i lay down for bed!!!

Use that stuff, a roller... two coats then your new color.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you don't have to strip it down, but if the existing paint is chipping at all, sand those patches smooth, and then wipe it down with a damp cloth, to get rid of the excess dust. Then use the primer (I swear by it as well--you can even get it tinted, since your paint is going to be rather dark), and do your color. Should look really nice when you are done. Just beware if you live in a really humid area that it will take awhile longer to dry out.

Have fun! :D

Far's advice sounds like it's the way to go. Most of my experience in painting involves ships. :) I'm not sure if wiping the door down with denatured alcohol would work with wood or not...

Since wooden doors don't generally rust, my advice to needle-gun the door before sanding it probably wouldn't work. Or... it would work, but you'd need to buy a new door.

Not good.

I hope it works out!!

The lavender paint isn't chipping, but there ARE visble brush strokes every where. Thats actually why I was thinking I should sand or strip first. I don't know what it'll look like when I'm done.

I have several experts in chipping and painting that I can "consult" for you (meaning that I can tell them to tell me how they would do it).

I know my guys *love* small rollers for tight spots, like door panels to prevent brush strokes, and they enjoy the sprayer for really big surfaces.

If you want me to bug the deck force guys, let me know!

Then the paint brush stokes will also slightly appear under the new paint if they are so visible now.

My hubby and I have done the very thing you are attempting.

You can go easy...

Or go the "professional route"

Easy is what Mo said. Get KILS, paint with that as it acts similar to primer.. and hids any stains. Let it dry and paint the color you want over it.

OR

Rent a amall electric sander and buy med rough grain sanding paper to sand out the door to a degree that also levels out the the old paint strokes. With a clean use a clean cloth to lightly wipe the door down.

Tape around any windows (use painters tape)

Then prime the door with kilz to hide the rest of the paint. Get a small nap paint roller and ROLL the paint on for a more professional paint job.

Just depends on how good you want your door to look, how much time you want to spend on the project. Just remember, if you do it the easy way, and it doesn't turn out as smooth and nice, you will have to do it again. But, if that's not your concern, go with easy.

:D

Guest Far Dareis Mai

Stripping wood is a nasty, smelly, often time consuming business that I wouldn't wish upon anyone. Having done it before, it's pretty miserable. And then you still aren't sure what your end result is going to be. It's possible that there are more layers of paint than you first thought, and they have filled up scratches and bad dings in the wood...so if you are looking for a quick fix, I wouldn't suggest that.

If you use a Primer (Kilz is what I recommend) on the paint, that should easily cover the brush strokes from before. If you have big paint drips, it's not going to fix that...those you will have to delicately chip off and then sand over.

And definately use rollers...

If I were you, I would sand the lavender down, put on 2 coats (or so) of primer until I couldn't see the lavender, then use a large brush to apply the new color. I screwed up big time on the first door I ever painted because I didn't use that durable outside latex paint... I mistakenly used inside, shiny wall paint. On an outside door. Yeah. I have an excuse, because I'm blind without my contacts (or glasses) but it was still very sad. Get a good paintbrush, not one of the nasty foam ones, and don't (for the love of the Light! :)) over load the brush with paint. That is a surefire way to drip everywhere. Sorry if you already know all this stuff (ooooops!), but I've mangled my front door enough and had to sand it down and start over several times, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. *Grins* The best of luck and steady hands to you.

Have fun!

I have never painted a door before in my life, so there is no such thing as too much advice.

I can't do it this week like I planned, as its threatening to rain all week. Too bad, because its actually not swelteringly hot outside like it normally is this time of year.

Guest Majsju

Sand it brutally, last time I painted doors I sanded it down so most of the paint was gone when I was finished.

That should make just one layer of primer enough.

Brush or roller...Depends on how good you are with a brush. Roller is faster, and you don't risk any marks from the brush. The paint will get spread out thinner though, so you might need to get two or even three layers.

Tell you what, pay my flight and I'll do it for you :wink:

I think I'm going to use a roller. It sounds easier and hey! No brush strokes.

How do I do the bit around the peep hole and the door knocker? I can probably just take the knocker off, but what about the peephole?

Guest Majsju

Some peepholes are removable, so examine it closely. Otherwise, use tape to cover it. If you find it hard to make the tape fit perfectly, let it go a bit outside, and fix that with a tiny brush afterwards.

Either that or try to use a smaller brush/ roller, like the ones that are used in watercolor for doing washes... see

http://www.bellalunatoys.com/artsupplies/items/painting/paintbrush.htm

This one looks somewhat like what I'm talking about.

Anyways, use your small brush and CAREFULLY paint around the peephole and handle, trying not to paint them instead. Or you could just tape them off. *grins*

Archived