DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Next Step

Lone

He only heard of how big Tar Valon, but actually being there was a whole different story. The White Tower was one of the most beautiful things he had ever seen in his life. Making his way through the crowded streets, Lone's heart was pounding with the sheer excitement of finally getting a chance to fulfill was dream of becoming a Warder.

Crossing the final bridge, he made his way through the archway into what appeared to be the training grounds. Lone dismounted off of his midnight black stallion, Sentell, and walked him over to the stables to be cared for while he looked around. Flipping the stable hand a silver, he walk off towards the dueling ring to watch a pair of trainees practicing what appeared to be a very intense offense drill. He became so absorbed in everything going on around him he didn't even notice the person come up behind him and tap him on the shoulder.

Adela was sitting on one of the fences bordering the training yards, watching with interest as her roommate practiced the sword. She’d not chosen her weapon yet, so most of her training thus far had consisted of learning to fight with her hands. She was unsure if she would choose a sword, but she certainly enjoyed watching Davel practice. Ada, her twin, was a few feet away;  leaning casually on the fence, talking with one of the Accepted. The girl was just his type…. breathing…and from the coy giggles the girl emitted her brothers charms were once again working to perfection. Rolling her eyes Del watched as Davel took a blow to the chest, she winced, but didn’t make another move.

She had only been in the yards a few weeks, but already she was beginning to feel at home. Their lives were not hard and the skills she was learning would be invaluable.

From the corner of her eye she saw a young man approach. They were of an age, he couldn’t be more than a few years older than me, Del thought. He didn’t seem as handsome as the other boys in the yard, then without the uniform it was hard to tell. Hopping down from the fence she walked over to him, thinking that she would catch his eye.

With her full figure and rather strange manner of dress she caught many eyes, but this one seemed to intent on watching the swords. Reaching to tap him on the shoulder she had a small frown on her face. Del did not like to be ignored.

“I thought I was the only one allowed to drool over Davel’s sword practice” she said dryly, pulling out a handkerchief and handing to him. He looked at her poleaxed and Del shook her head. “Well then, I can see you have no sense of humor. I have not seen you around before, who are you?” Her tone was slightly commanding, and her eyes looked at him expectantly.

Adela

"Del"

"My named is Lone Revicana,"he blurted nervously. His nerves were shaken from a combination of surprise and the young woman's beauty. Giving himself a mental shake, Lone recovered & said,"I'm from Kandor & looking to train to be a Warder." She appeared to give him a look that said she figured as much as that is why almost everyone here was for."As for the drooling, I would gladly allow you continue do so, just so long as you allow my presence," he said with a raised eyebrow.

Even though he felt that he may be acting a bit more forward than he was used to, he had decided on his way here from Kandor to try and be more bold. His father had once said that the bold go places and do things people remember and that he should always be bold. He hadn't figured out what his father meant until his eyes fell upon this young woman.

"Now that I've introduced myself maybe you'll show me the same kindness" Lone said as he walked to the fence to take a seat atop it, patting the empty space next to him.

OCC: Just trying to spice things up a bit. Who knows? Maybe this could go some place.

Del rolled her eyes and the man’s sudden recovery. So he wanted to flirt did he? Glancing down the fence she saw that her brother was still completely preoccupied, and Davel was not about to start noticing her now. Glancing wistfully at the boys sparing Del sauntered over and hopped up on to the fence. If she was every going to flirt as well as her brother, she may as well begin practice now.

She could not change who she was over night though, so she made sure to keep a few hand lengths in between them. When Lone tried to scoot closer she gave him such a furious look at he gave her back that space and more. “I am Adela Naurel and that..” she pointed down the fence to where her brother was whispering in the girl’s ear. “Is my brother Adamin. We are from Mayene and have been here a little over a month. One of the boys you are drooling over is Davel. He is our roommate and from Tear. I do not know the other.”

“Why on earth do you want to be a warder? Bound completely too some woman who sees you as a dog?” Del was always blunt, and a few visits to the Mistress of Novices had softened her tongue, if not as much as the woman would like. “Me, I am here to learn to fight.”

Adela

“Del”

• 2 weeks later...

Lone was surprised by her harsh view of the Aes Sedai/Warder relationship. He had never heard it put so bluntly, but that alone wouldn't stop him from pursuing this young woman or becoming a warder. "I seek adventure & being a warder will allow me to do some good while seeing the world. I see it as a way to fulfill my family's motto "To be forgotten is worse than death,"  he said while pulling up his left sleeve to show those exact words tattooed all the way around his wrist.

Turning his head to see how the sparring was going, it looked to him that they had finished. Nodding his head toward them, he said,"It appears that we may have some company. Would like to continue this somewhere a little more private? Maybe we could grab a bite to eat?" hopping off the fence, he held out his hand as an offer of assistants to help her down with an obviously fake pleading frown on his face.

Del’s eyebrow raised and she gave a small shake of her head. This boy sounded like her brother, always seeking adventure, never happy with what was right in front of him.  The tattoo though…. She studied it with interest and had to restrain herself to keep from reaching out to touch it. Having frequented many Inn’s and taverns along their journey she had seen a fair number of tattoo’s and had to admit that she found them interesting. If she could settle her mind on what she wanted she had considered getting one herself. It was a silent hope she had shared only with her brother, who agreed to go with her when her choice was made.

Glancing away from the tattoo she looked up and saw Davel staring at her and Lone. His face was a blank mask, but she thought she had seen something in his eyes, only for a moment. Smiling at him and giving him a small wave she hoped down from the fence, accepting the extended hand. Perhaps there was something to jealousy, because he grimaced at her and turned away quickly.

Looking back to the wanna be trainee she could see the triumph in his smile, and resisted the urge to smack him for the lust in his eyes. She was committed now though…

Dislodging her hand from his she took a step farther away, and gave him a look that made it clear that he better maintain his space. Her blue eyes and creamy skin, seemed made for giving looks and the boy obliged. “I know of an Inn where we can get lunch, but I have to be back for a training class this afternoon and you have an appointment with the Mistress of Trainee’s.”

As they made there was through the practice yards a few people gave them strange looks. Most knew of the twins by now, one was the flirt and the other had a file for a tongue. But if that thought it strange that she was walking with a man they all wisely held their peace. Adela had never been a conversationalist, so she blurted out the first thing that came to mind. “Why is to be forgotten worse than death? I can think of a lot of times that I wish people would forget I was alive.” Her inflection and look said that perhaps this could be one of those times?...

Lone took a moment to think over the answer to her question. He had never been asked that before. Finally he said,"It's more of a honor thing. More closely tied to my family than anything. We believe that if you do great good and the world remembers you for it, The Wheel may allow you to ride with the heroes of old. It has always been a family dream that at least one of the children of each generation try and possible succeed in this feat. To some this may seem corny, but my family takes making light of  this believe to the highest level."

They appeared to have arrived at Inn she spoke of, for she was head up the stairs rather fine looking establishment at least compared to the Inn he ran with his mother & father. She choose a table close to the corner and he pulled out chair for her. Her eyes gave him the feeling that her mind was saying "Seriously," and not exactly in the impressed way. She still sat in the offered seat and sat down with his chair scooted away a little further that he had originally planed. He realized he may be laying it on a little to thick and decided to rein himself in. Not to say he was giving up entirely, he was going to aim for subtle so he maybe salvage his flirting so he could try for lunch or dinner with her again sometime.

Removing his jacket, his sleeveless shirt exposed more of his tattoos. His entire right arm from shoulder to wrist was cover in dark green scales like those lizard. His left arm was covered in much the same fashion but with phrases & words of wisdom that he felt defined him. Most of the women he had met had almost always been interested in his body art. He hope this would have a similar effect. It was risky though, as he had just as often heard complaints about them (even if they were mostly from his mother.)

"So what kind of person is the Mistress of Trainees anyway?," he said with genuine interest.

She had never thought about doing great deeds or being bound to the Horn, to ride with heroes of old. Her own life plans were far simpler; enjoy time with her twin, learn to fight to better protect her family, and to find her brother and know why he’d committed such a heinous act. “I can’t say that I have ever had such grand dreams, but I suppose there are worse things to aspire too.” Leading him to a table in the corner she scoffed as he pulled out her chair, but she allowed the nicety to pass. He was not the first man to find her so attractive.

Knowing the Innkeeper and the menu well Del ordered for both of them, including two mugs of ale. If this man was going to insist on looking at her with such roving eyes, she would need the drink.

“Mistress Thera? Well she is…..impassable would be a good word to describe her. Graceful and strong, and she has a temper, but she is always fair. Beyond that you will have to make your own decision.” Their meals were brought and for a time their eating stopped much of the talk. While Del shoveled bite after bite in her mouth, with never a concern for appearing delicate, she studied the tattoo’s that covered Lone’s arms; and studied the man himself. He was handsome after a fashion, and defiantly unlike anyone she’d met so far, but still….he was not Davel.

She felt uncomfortable studying him so openly, but it was always how her brother appraised women and he was the guide that she was learning to follow. Del had no intention of throwing herself at the opposite sex the way Ada did, but she was starting to think about her first kiss. Her brother made it all sound so glorious, but she saw the trouble it brought them and so up until coming to Tar Valon she’d hardly looked at a man; except as a partner to hunt or drink with.

Finishing the last of her meal, Del flushed slightly when Lone commented on her healthy appetite. “I refuse to change who I am for anyone.” Shrugging she wiped her mouth and picked up her ale. “You can take me as I am or leave me, that’s what Ada and I have always said. We’ve got enough in each other that we don’t need anybody else.”

"I wouldn't have it any other way," Lone said with a smile on his face. Adela was just full of surprises & each was more interesting than the last. He found himself becoming more caught up in who she was than what she looked like. Lone felt that they would get along famously, even just as friends. He took a long draw from his mug of ale and looked out the window to see dusk beginning to blanket the sky.

"Well, you have given me a more than gracious welcome than I could have expected, but I suppose we should get back to the Yard so that I can have that meeting with Mistress Thera. Would you like to accompany me to here office or get back your brother?" He rose, put his coat on his shoulders, & they headed for the door.

Del frowned as Lone put back on his coat. She’d wanted to ask him about the rest of his tattoos, but she had the feeling that they would meet again. Walking with him to the door and down the stairs, she agreed to take him to Mistress Thera. As they weaved their way through the crowds she walked closer to him than she had on the way out of the Tower. When he looked at her with a slightly shocked smile, she nudged him with her shoulder. “I have decided that you don’t smell as bad as I first thought. Your more like a wet dog than an unwashed lummox.” She grinned at him a little crookedly and turned away before he could see her flush.

How did Adamin say such silly things without feeling like a fool?

Standing outside the door that led to Thera’s room Adela clapped him on the shoulder and gave him a sober look. “Remember; avoid eye contact and sudden movements. It should keep the bear from attacking. “ Standing up on tip toe she kissed him lightly on the cheek. It felt awkward and made her cheeks grow dark red, but she managed to not stutter. “That was for if you don’t make it out alive, but if you do meet me in the gardens by the track. We’ll have dinner.”

“Good luck” With one last look at the tattooed man she shook her head at her own forward behavior and went to find Adamin. She wanted some twin advice before this evening.

• 2 weeks later...

He couldn't help but grin and blush at the kiss as he watched her walk away from him. He felt lighter than air at the moment. Placing his hand on the door handle and taking a deep breath, he stepped into Mistress Thera's office with an aura of confidence.

After shutting the door behind him, Lone made a deep bow to the Mistress of Trainees And introduced himself, "Hello, I am Lone Revicana, son of Salvin & Venda of Kandor. I have come to seek training so that I may become a Warder, but I guess you already knew that?" It may have been a little brazen of him to speak like that to her, but he wanted her to know that he would not a pushover and committed to his training.

Thera was sitting behind her desk putting her signature to a stack of papers, and anxiously awaiting the end of her day. Jasine was still gone from the Tower, and while she missed him terribly it had given her more time with Lyss. She had the child had formed a formidable bond. The current arrangement was a blessing as much as a curse. With nothing else but her job to occupy her hours she spent every waking free moment with the child. Each day that passed brought them closer together and made leaving her all the harder. Drumming her fingers on her desk she looked up at the clock over her mantle. Only a few more hours

While still staring off, daydreaming about seeing her little bundle of joy, Thera heard muffled voices from outside her door. Putting away her papers she waited for the entrance that was sure to follow.

The young man that walked in was not one she had seen, which meant he was most likely here to enroll in her yards. Thera’s face grew a little grim as the boy spoke. He would be yet another who was overconfident. In her current elated state she was in no mood to put this boy in his place….but being a strict Mistress came with the job.

“Well Lone son of Salvin & Venda of Kandor, I am Thera Trakelyn, Mistress of Trainee’s in Tar Valon of the White Tower.” She motioned to the chair in front of her desk, telling him to sit. “This will not be short. Now what makes you think you have the skills needed to join the Warders? And why should I allow you to?” Borderlanders were always prickly about their honor, but she had dealt with more than a few in her day.

"I know you've heard this before, but I have dreamed of being Warder since I was 15. Although that wasn't that long ago, I've done nothing but train everyday since then. I followed the traditional Kandori style of dual short swords and little else. Some of my trainers said they never seen it come so naturally to anyone before, but to be honest none of them were experts themselves," Lone said with confidence. He was actually surprised at how well this was going even though they had just started.

"I think you should allow because I envision nothing more than doing good in this world. Becoming a Warder, in my mind, is the best way to accomplish that goal. What do you have to ask of me?"

"I am glad to see a young Borderlander who does not boast his skills as more than they are. That means you have very little to unlearn so that your real training can begin. Life in my yards is not easy. No doubt you have heard that I am harsh, but I am not harsher than need be. You above the others should know what lax discipline can do." Pulling out the trainee roster she put his name in it and sanded the page.

“Your training will begin in the yards tomorrow afternoon. I will give you the rest of this evening and the morning to acclimate yourself to your new surroundings and to learn the rules. Lest you think I am being lenient, I will expect you to work twice as hard as the others and already know the rules as well as someone who’s been here a month.”

“It seems you have gotten your dream Lone, if it dies now it will be your own doing.” Her hard eyes said she would feel no pain if he did indeed fail. “Did you have any other questions for me?”

• 2 weeks later...

"Not really, Mistress. If we are finished, I will take my leave. Thank you for your time and accepting as a trainee. Be see you Mistress Thera," Lone said as he stood and bowed. He left quietly and headed to his room to prepare for his date that night.