DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Point of a Blade {Attn: Arcon}

TaiDashan

Shad dressed slowly and tried not to grin. That was harder now than it had once been. During his test for Adept, something inside him had shattered. It still felt a little awkward to feel so deeply and to finally express outwardly what he felt inwardly. Arcon had all but promised him that he would show him how to control it. Today was for a different lesson. He was to receive further training with the Daggers he had kept up his sleeves and down his back. He had practiced pulling and re-sheathing them so that he didn't slit his wrists, but that was about all.

Checking his blades one last time, he pulled up his hood and left the room. Slowly he made his way through the corridors, twisting and turning until he found the room Arcon had instructed him to wait in. Sitting in a chair to one side of the room he assumed the Void to quell his nervousness. He resisted the call of Sadin and waited.

Arcon walked into the small room, a soft grin on his lips. "Greetings Shadar. I trust that everything is well?" Taking the chair opposite the younger man, Arcon met his student's eyes. "As I've told you, this won't be a typical class, one of several different ones I plan on teaching you now that you have earned a bit of responsibility, and can study Saidin without my constant guidance." He chuckled; there wasn't an acolyte in the fortress that stuck to that rule. Every dreadlord knew it, after all, they were once young. They remembered what it was like to have this new power shown to them...

"This will be an introductory class in the use of weapons. The daggers on your person won't just be for show after today; those admittedly I wouldn't go warder hunting without the power." Another soft chuckle from the Dreadlord. "For today, I will be shielding you from Saidin." He had been in the habit of warning Shad since his adept test, it had changed him. He had always had strong emotion, though so far suppressed it took all of his Carhienen skill to read the man. Now though... it had come to the surface, and he liked to avoid startling the volatile man.

That done, Arcon did as promised and shielded Shadar, and stood. "There is another purpose to this class however..." Arcon caught a shadow detaching itself from the wall out of the corner of his eye. "As you know, we are dreadlords, and we are the leaders of shadowspawn. Generals to the lieutenants of the Myrddraal and foot soldiers of the Trollocs. You need contact with them, and so I have summoned..."

Arcon nearly winced as the black cloaked man-shaped shadow put a shining steel dagger under Shadar's throat. "A Myrddraal, though a young one. A Fadeling its called, Dhjorn is it's name." Arcon's voice grew cold as he looked at the half-man. He had experienced their ilk before, and the experience had left a bad taste in his mouth. He kept his hand upon his weapon, confident he could slay the beat if it came down to it.

"Remove the dagger Dhjorn, and Shad, stand, and face your instructor. I will be watching over you for the duration of the class. Introduce yourselves." Truth be told their was a whole other matter that had prompted this decision. He needed to test the depth of Shadar's fear, see how he would react in the face of it. The man would never show it here, not when he knew the Peace of the Shadow protected him. A Fade on the other hand, had its ways of drawing it out, even a youthful one such as Dhjorn...

---

Dhjorn was not pleased. He had been cooped up in this loathsome Fortress for to long, the itch of channeling a constant bother to him, distracting him from his plans. He had found documents, and confirmed it with Dreadlords of an agency within the shadow. One titled the Shar Mahdi, and of the woman who bore that title. Cari Al'Caar... He desperately wanted to set out and meet her, but no. He was to teach these runts what he knew of dagger play instead.

This Arcon Dadread was one of the worst, his oiled tones putting up a front of respect as he requested his services... Though the cool undertones, that icy threat mixed with distaste for he and his kind was evident to the young Fade. He had heard from Calaun that this one was not long in the full ranks of the shadow, and had attended her class upon their race. After the initial shock, he had performed well. Still, if she was to be believed he was spiteful, and needed to prove his superiority...

He broke himself from the reverie, and did as he was instructed. "Fadeling Dhjorn of the Dhjin'nen." His voice was that of a snake slithering through loose packed snow. At once sickening and icy. He had heard that this Shadar had once been nearly without emotion, and the thought brought a small worm of excitement even to his dead heart. His gaze would seek out the truth of that matter. And that was the test, he sensed. How would the human stand up being face to face with a Myrddraal?

It was a question that needed to be answered quickly, and so, he turned his eyeless face upon Shadar, meeting his eyes with his own pallid skin...

"Greetings Shadar. I trust that everything is well? As I've told you, this won't be a typical class, one of several different ones I plan on teaching you now that you have earned a bit of responsibility, and can study Saidin without my constant guidance." He chuckled then and Shadar grinned eagerly.

"This will be an introductory class in the use of weapons. The daggers on your person won't just be for show after today; though admittedly I wouldn't go warder hunting without the power. For today, I will be shielding you from Saidin." The grin faltered slightly as the Shield went into place.

"There is another purpose to this class however...As you know, we are dreadlords, and we are the leaders of shadowspawn. Generals to the lieutenants of the Myrddraal and foot soldiers of the Trollocs. You need contact with them, and so I have summoned..." A blade pressed against his throat and the grin fled, rage burning in his eyes. Rage at feeling helpless, at being snuck up on. Rage, even at Arcon, for allowing it. Coldly he reminded himself that he could not trust anyone, even Arcon. Flailed himself with it until the cold fury was all that was left. He would never admit to himself that he had felt hurt by the lack of that trust. Shadar almost missed the next words.

"A Myrddraal, though a young one. A Fadeling its called, Dhjorn is it's name. Remove the dagger Dhjorn, and Shad, stand, and face your instructor. I will be watching over you for the duration of the class. Introduce yourselves."

The dagger withdrew from his throat and he stood, gazing at Arcon blankly for a moment. Rage bubbled below the surface, but he kept his face the all too familiar mask of emotionlessness. His eyes could not lie however. Turning to face this...Fadeling, he got another shock. As his eyes met the pallid, eyeless face of the Fadeling a cold worm of fear wriggled deep inside of him. He couldn't help it. He had felt fear before, Terror that crippled him to the point of surviving or giving up. In truth that fear is what had driven him to the Shadow in a way. But this fear was of a different kind. It was cold and piercing. It made his skin crawl and his hair shift as if to climb off his scalp. He kept his face smooth but his eyes widened slightly. Controling his voice he said to the Fadeling,

"My name is Shadar Al'Niende, pleasure to meet you." His humor made the edges of his lips twitch in a grin, despite the fear.

Arcon held a smile in check as Shad spoke to the fade. Good, he will learn control easily enough… Though in truth, the glee was from another source; he loved how the Fade’s pride was wounded at not forcing Shadar to cower in his presence. It was a site the dreadlord thought he would relish for years to come. “Good, now that you have introduced yourselves. I will set the rules, Dhjon. You hurt him in any severe way, and I’ll find ways to make even you wide eyed.”

His voice was cool as he delivered the threat; businesslike, efficient. He found it had the greatest effect when he was effectively threatening to take someone’s life. Though the tone and words had another reason, as most of Arcon’s actions did. It was meant to reassure Shadar; Arcon really did have his best interests at heart, and the Fade’s impromptu introduction was not a part of the plan. He needed his loyalty, much to Arcon’s shame, for many reasons.

“Apart from that, I want it clean on both ends. Simple instruction, basic sword forms that can be adapted to dagger use, footing, stances, the works. I want him to leave here prepared for further instruction.” Again he drilled the fade, letting Shad know that he cared little of the reverse. If by some miracle his favored apprentice managed to slice this maggot-fleshed menace, Arcon thought the world would be just that much better.

“Now, I’ll leave you to your instruction.” Arcon stepped back, standing with his hand on the hilt of his longsword, almost daring the Fade to make a move. He was confident that even without the power; he was a match in blade for this one. With it, he’d tear him apart…

---

Dhjorn found himself resenting this particular dreadlord above all others. His impudence was astonishing, the way he spoke, and moved. He should have respect for one who would later be able to walk into his room from a mile away and slit his throat… Still, what bothered him most was the weakness he was displaying.

Shadar was looking him in the ‘eye’ without batting a lash, he knew the fear was doing its work, but somehow this wretch resisted it almost perfectly. It urked the Fade, his new found racism offended by an initiate not fleeing in terror before him, despite the fact that he was only  a Fadeling. His black clad chest moved almost imperceptibly as he took a steadying breath, throwing all this useless emotion to the wind.

He drew his other dagger, and began to speak to his opponent, no, his ‘student’. “Well, let me see Adept Al’Niende. Do you have any skill, or will I be telling you that the pointy end is bad?” The Fade couldn’t resist the jab. “Since you carry hidden weapons, I assume you at least don’t draw blood when you draw them? Though I could be wrong…” He waited for the goaded man to respond, keeping a wary eye upon the dreadlord… He did not like the relaxed way he held his sword…

Shadar had pondered many things since coming to the Fortress. It was as if the Great Lord had been shaping him to serve from a young age. Alone in his cold stone room of the Fortress, he had contemplated his place in the Shadow's plan upon his arrival. The cold fear worming through him took him back to that cold stone room for a moment.

~ Shadar Al'Niende, Initiate to the Shadow sat alone in a cold, dusty stone room. He stared at his hands for a moment before closing his eyes. "Great Lord," He murmured fervently. "I live to serve." In the comforting blackness behind his eyes a thought slowly took form. His mother had died giving birth to him, his father shortly after imprisoned for murder. Both Parents swept aside, he was left to the denizens of the city. Galan, the man who had taught him the meaning of fear, the meaning of power. The Great Lord had brought him here, to the gift of Saidin and his ability to return it through service. His eyes popped open as he thought this. Weeping, he fell to his knees from the chair he had been sitting in. The tears, so alien to him, ran down his cheeks as he realized the attention and value the Shadow had placed on his life. The Shadow had brought him here, had taught him and given him those that would care for him like Arcon. The Great Lord had given him far better parents then the Light had seen fit to. "I live to serve Great Lord." He whispered into the silence. "Till my last breath. I vow you will be free!" ~

Arcon's words brought him fully back to the present and he realized he had been staring at the eyeless slug of a thing in front of him this whole time.

“Good, now that you have introduced yourselves. I will set the rules, Dhjon. You hurt him in any severe way, and I’ll find ways to make even you wide eyed." Arcon's possessive comment left a warm feeling in the back of Shadar's skull. Now, I’ll leave you to your instruction.”

The Fadeling drew his other dagger. Here he was, unarmed with an armed Fade standing in front of him. He wondered if the Fade really understood the power of Saidin and what he could do to him with it were he not shielded. Shad barely kept a grin in check.

“Well, let me see Adept Al’Niende. Do you have any skill, or will I be telling you that the pointy end is bad? Since you carry hidden weapons, I assume you at least don’t draw blood when you draw them? Though I could be wrong…”

Shadar noted that the Fade knew of his hidden weapons and reminded himself to ask Arcon how it had known. Dropping the blades easily into his hands he spun them easily into place. Hilt in each palm he held them up for inspection. He looked at them as if inspecting them closely, fake concern plain on his face, venomy sweetness dripping from his voice.

"Nope. No blood, see?" He looked at the Fadeling making a show of showing him the blades. He did grin then, a little insolence could not hurt. If the Fade wanted to play, Shad would win... "Lets get started." He let disgust show for the Fade and his frivolities. If he was here to learn, let the Fadeling show him something other than how to bandy words.

Dhjorn was not amused. This and every other dreadlord he had met here showed but a moment of shock... Never before had his own weaknesses been so apparent. He needed to cover that hole... To make up for his lack of a paralyzing gaze attack with his twin daggers. Then, when that gaze did choose to gift itself to him... Dhjorn almost smiled at the thought. Almost.

"Good, Dreadling. Now let us begin, shall we?" Irritably, Dhjorn turned his head as the dreadlord spoke up. "Dhjorn, less banter. Move through basic sword forms." Sword Forms? The Fade felt a worm of hatred and confusion spread through it's pale chest. He'd never been instructed on the forms, his daggers lashed out by instinct, and hours a day of hard practice.

"No, he would cut off his own foot if he tried even the most basic of forms, look, he can barely hold the daggers in his hands." To the Fade's sharp sight, it was true, though still a thin cover of his own lack of knowledge. His own daggers seemed to disappear as he approached Shadar. He gripped the young man's wrists tightly, letting him feel the unnatural strength corded within the Fade's tall, wiry frame.

"Like this Human..." That snake-through-snow voice of his hissing into the cowl of the would-be assassin. He adjusted the man's grip, placing the thumb along the hilt, as opposed to wrapped around it, the tip bent slightly to rest against the hilt. "More power on a thrust, as well as a better guide for a slash," he explained. Despite his hatred, he would do his job. He was a servant of the Great Lord, as were these humans. As long as he was commanded to, he would aide them.

The Myrddraal took a few steps back, his daggers again materializing in his hands, as if they'd always been there. "Now, come at me human, use that pathetic, frail body your whore mother gave to you, and try to strike me." Keeping true to the dreadlord's threats, he would not counter attack, only parry, instructing him on his mistakes after each blow. Though if the chance came, he would take the chance to embarrass the youth...

"Good, Dreadling. Now let us begin, shall we?" The fade said. Shadar looked at the thing, feigning relief. Finally. Arcon stepped in with more commands for the Fadeling. "Dhjorn, less banter. Move through basic sword forms." Shadar wondered if all Dreadlords treated shadowspawn this way or if it was just Arcon's ease of command. "No, he would cut off his own foot if he tried even the most basic of forms, look, he can barely hold the daggers in his hands." Shadar bared his teeth at the eyeless in what might be taken for a smile, if you were blind.

Suddenly the thing approached and gripped his wrists, shock hit him again. The thing was strong. "Like this Human...More power on a thrust, as well as a better guide for a slash," The Fade moved his grip and showed him where to place his thumbs. Shadar almost grinned. He could see that the Fade was teaching true. The Fade took a few steps back and brandished his own blades. "Now, come at me human, use that pathetic, frail body your whore mother gave to you, and try to strike me." The insults rolled off him and this time he did let a smile blossom on his face. Let the Fade make of that what it would.

Shifting into and awkward stance, he was once again corrected by the Fade before he had even begun. He cursed in his head the lack of knowledge he had. Soon, he soothed himself. Soon. Leading with his main foot he struck while keeping his offhand ready for a counter attack. The Fade simply flowed in and pushed his chest lightly sending him off balance. Stumbling a few steps he tried again, shifting his feet. The Fade stopped him and showed him how to place his feet and told him to try again, the whole time insulting him. He wanted to see a reaction to his slights, some form of them striking home. He did not know who he dealt with. Stepping in for another strike the Shadowspawn swept his blade aside easily and countered with his other, stepping close. Seconds before impaling Shad the Fade flipped the dagger, implanting the hilt hard into his ribs instead. Shadar grunted and swept back into a ready stance again, refusing to rub the spot. He would not concede more than he must.

The fade threw out instruction peppered with insult, but slowly Shadar got to a place where he could stand comfortably and his actions seemed more fluid. He grudgingly noted that the Fade was more fluid than he could ever be, it seemed almost boneless. Rotating his wrists to work out the ache he attempted a move the fade had just shown him. he lunged in, feinting with his offhand and dropping into a crouch. He was supposed to strike low with a jab of his lead hand, but instead threw his own into the mix. Leaning down and away he brought his head around to look over his shoulder at the Fadeling, bringing his lead hand around in an arc and slashing at the Fadeling's thigh. He completed the motion, rolling past the Fade and almost burying the blade in his own thigh with his clumsiness. it was a small cut but in a moment the Fade had him by the throat, his feet off the ground.

"Dhjorn." Arcon spoke the word crisply and with warning as Shadar scrambled against the shield wildly despite himself. The fingers of the slug white flesh dug into his throat, making it hard to breathe. "Release him Dhjorn." The threat was obvious in his voice and Shadar felt the shield lessen slightly. He doubted he could break it if he tried, but it was slightly less.

• 2 weeks later...

Arcon drew his sword. "Final warning Dhjorn." The Fade turned his frightening gaze upon Arcon; Arcon met his eyes without flinching. He had practiced on that wretch Calaun, and would not be intimidated again. The Fade spun Shadar out of his grasp, putting the student on his ass against a wall. Some hurt pride, but he'd be alright, thought the dreadlord.

"Now Shadar, watch closely. I use a slightly different weapon group than you, but the basics are essentially the same for all bladed weapons." He drew on Saidin, weaving a dagger of air and fire into his left hand, and tied off the weave. Arcon fought with both power and blade, and he'd teach Shadar to do the same.

Arcon shifted the weight to the balls of his feet, as he was taught to do when he entered combat. It was a method known as Cat Crossing the Courtyard, and it maximized his reaction time. The Fade charged at him, a double thrust aimed for his chest. Arcon countered with "The Cat Dances on the Wall," and named it for the benefit of Shadar. It was a series of lightning fast thrusts, slashes, and parries, and a great defensive maneuver for those with the wrist and feet speed to perform it.

Arcon shifted to offense ,"Cutting the Clouds," a strike at his opponents wrists. The Fade leaped back. Arcon held his sword ready at the hip, his dagger at chest level. The Fade attacked again, "The Dove takes Flight." A thrust from the hip, with high power.

It went on like this for a while, neither warriors gaining ground over the other. Arcon's skill was matched by the Fade's faster, stronger body. Arcon's training met with Dhjorn's instinct. It was far from a blade master tournament to be sure, but both knew the pointy end of the blade. Arcon ended it with "Courtier taps his Fan," a savage downward cut to the skull, and when Dhjorn blocked, he added in a gust of air to knock him onto his back. "Shadar, I demonstrated many sword forms, though I doubt the Fadeling here picked any up, concentrated as we were. Stand up, and face Dhjorn again, and try to incorporate some."

He knew how challenging this would be, not even having the chance to practice the forms, he doubted even Shadar's amazing learning ability would hold out. Still, he'd know what it was like trying to learn and adapt in real combat, and that was a valuable lesson. One he had learned from his first teacher Mr. Sweeper, may lionfish make a meal of his innards...

"Final warning Dhjorn."

The words drifted slowly through the haze that was creeping in at the edges of his vision. His head felt stuffed with cotton and his vision was growing increasingly dim. Somewhere in his mind something screamed that he was loosing consciousness. Suddenly he was flying through the air and struck something cold and hard. His mind was still fumbling with what was going on when his body reacted. Breath ripped down his ragged throat in burning gulps. slowly vision returned and he realized he was slumped against a wall were the fade had thrown him.

"Now Shadar, watch closely. I use a slightly different weapon group than you, but the basics are essentially the same for all bladed weapons." Shadar felt the shield on him lessen. His fury however, remained as strong as the moment he realized fully what had happened. He watched with a cold satisfaction as Arcon shifted his stance and took the Fade's charge.

"The Cat Dances on the Wall," He called out, countering the Fade. "Cutting the Clouds," He called out again, this time on the attack. Shadar commited what he could to memory for practice in his room later. He could see the Fade's eyeless face painted with rage at Arcon's almost casual naming of the forms. "The Dove takes Flight."

They fought for a while. While Shadar hated to admit it, Arcon might be better with a blade, but the Fade was fast. Fast and strong. They stayed fairly evenly matched however until Arcon brought his blade down in a skull-splitting move, adding a gust of Air to knock the insolent slug backward. "Courtier taps his Fan,"

That little move with the throat had buried a worm of hatred for Fades deep within Shad. He would use them as tools to carry out the Great Lord's work because he must. Only because he must.

"Shadar, I demonstrated many sword forms, though I doubt the Fadeling here picked any up, concentrated as we were. Stand up, and face Dhjorn again, and try to incorporate some."

Shock painted Shad's face before he could stop it. He thought the lesson was over. He nodded to himself slightly. If Arcon asked him to fight again, he would. Arcon always knew best, and if the Fatherly man wanted him to have another go...he would do it.

Drawing his blades he clumsily tried to assume the stance he had seen Arcon take. He felt a slight flow of Air correct his stance unseen and almost smiled in gratitude. The fade came at him with a sort of grin on its ugly, pale face. Shadar danced to the side surprisingly easily and attempted a move Arcon had called out that had something to do with a hummingbird. He jabbed at the Fade's face and caught it off guard, which meant it flowed away from his dagger and changed tactic. It went on like this for some time, repeatedly ending up with Shadar on his backside or up against a wall. Every time the Fade released him and/or waited for him to rise before attacking once more. A few warning words from Arcon saw to that. Cold hatred boiled along his veins and it grew with every strike.

Finally Arcon called a halt, releasing the shield on Shadar and calling an end to the lesson. Without changing his face a hair, Shadar seized the Source, filling himself with the avalanche that told him he was alive. Within two beats of his heart he had slammed the Fade against the far wall with Air, crushing it against the wall. He knew he was most likely making it hard to breath for the slug but he could not bring himself to care. He strode across the floor and put his face inches from the pale, unnatural flesh. His voice slid softly from his throat like frozen steel from the earth, pitched for the slug's ears alone.

"Listen closely slug. If you ever try something like that again, remember that I will not be so helpless next time." Cold fury burned in his eyes and tone. "The Great Lord has given me power to rip you limb from limb. Only the Peace of the Shadow keeps you alive at this moment." His lips curved into a dark smile. Abruptly he turned on his heel glancing at Arcon before settling again in his seat and releasing the weave. He would not disrespect his mentor by leaving without dismissal, but he clung to Saidin as hard as he ever had, preparing for retaliation from the Fade.