DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Selenessin Sedai - of the Blue Ajah? [Attn: Elyssa]

Selenessin walked through the Tower much more slowly than she had on her way to Ziya Sedai's quarters this morning.  She was clearly deep in thought and had an air about her of almost absent contemplation.  While she avoided bumping into anyone, the far-off look in her eyes suggested she never saw what she detoured around.  For all that she looked like a Brown at this moment, she was even headed towards the library, it was another Ajah that was on her mind.

After Jerinia had stayed behind after their first Intermediate Saidar class, Selene was such she had known why the Malkieri girl wanted to speak to Elyssa Sedai.  Ever since their trip to the borderlands with Loraine Sedai and Kynwric Gaidin, Selene was sure that Jerinia was going to be the type of Aes Sedai who was rarely in the Tower, which meant she would be Blue or Green.  Selene herself didn't want a life behind the Shining Walls, however much she had come to think of it as home, and was thinking the same thoughts now that she had of Jerinia back then.  Kabria Sedai and Loraine Sedai were both Green, and Selene knew she could talk to them about what it meant to be Green.  There wasn't a lot to figure out about it, though.  They were the Battle Ajah and were devoted to actively fighting the Shadow - with Saidar and blade - alongside their warders. 

Selene had even trained in the Yard with Guardsman Perivar - no, he was Gaidin now, Kabria had claimed the bond she already held over the man's heart - but she hadn't found the passion for battle that she thought must surely be part of what sustains and drives a Green.  Selene looked up from her musings and narrowed her eyes as she studied the tapestry that had caught her eye.  A King, kneeling beside a great destrier, but it was a woman with the seven-striped stole he bowed to.  Nations and rulers, bowing to the Aes Sedai will, helped along to choose that decision by the counsel of the Grays and the manipulation of the Blues.  She frowned at the thought, she'd never wanted to be the kind of person who manipulated people intentionally.  But she could see, much clearer than that chit Deanne who tried her manipulation on everyone, how manipulation could be the best path to finding a decision.

The frown cleared from her face and she continued on her way to the library, intending to see if there was something there she could find to help her deciding her future.  There was, but she had expected to find it in a book, not in a dress.

Elyssa Sedai was seated at one of the tables with a book laid out before her, clearly engrossed in what she was doing.  A cup of tea sat on the table - that brought a start from Selene, she'd always been told never to bring liquids into the library near the books - but then with a guilty flush she realized that was probably a rule that was enforced on Novice and Accepted, ones who might not be careful enough.

"Elyssa Sedai?"  Selene approached hesitantly, already halfway down in a curtsy before the woman looked up, the banded hem of her dress lifted in one hand.  Some habits had been drilled in deep.  "Do you mind if I speak with you for a moment?  It's not about the class," she reassured her teacher.  "I want to ask about the Blue Ajah."

Selenessin

Does this dress make me look blue?

Elyssa had gone to the library to catch up on some reading and she hadn't wanted to stay in her rooms. They were too lonely. She had brought some tea with her and sat quietly reading up on different places that she wished to travel to at some point. She heard someone address her and listened to the child. " Of course you can ask me about anything you would like to know." Elyssa smiled and offered the girl a seat at her table.

• 3 months later...

"Oh, there's so much to know."  Selene's voice was soft and almost wistful as she curled a leg beneath her and dropped to a chair beside Elyssa Sedai gracefully.  She still had the mannerisms of a youthful and possibly silly girl, but she'd been training the grace all Aes Sedai move with into her movements and she was close to it.  Her raising with horses had helped her quite a bit there, you had to have good control of your subtle movements and motions on horseback.  She tucked the book she had been holding to her chest and leaned forward. "I don't even really know what the right questions to ask are."

She chewed her lip thoughtfully and took advantage of the pause Elyssa allowed her to collect her thoughts.  "I want to know if the Blue Ajah is the right one for me.  I know I don't want to spend my whole life in the Tower, and the Blues are always coming and going, doing things and seeing to people.  Are you..." she paused, unsure of how to word the question lest she offend an Aes Sedai she had come to respect quite a bit.  "Are you doing good things for the world, Elyssa Sedai?  Do you get to help people very much?  I was so sure I would go yellow..." she trailed off, her voice catching.  It had been a crushing blow when she'd found out she wasn't capable of the healing weaves that the Yellows required.  "I wanted to go Yellow, to heal people and help those in need, but I can't form the weaves, I'm not strong enough in water.  But healing isn't the only way to help people."

She continued, managing to raise her eyes to the meet the level, but not unkind, gaze of the Blue.  "It is said that the Blues 'chase causes' and always have their fingers in every little thing all over the world.  And I wanted to know, if I may, what specifically drives a Blue to her chosen cause, and what causes are favored by your Ajah.  Do you work to pull the people of the world together as the Grays pull the nations?  And how, that's a big one I wonder.  It's all just so mysterious and I can't choose where to go until I understand the destination."  This was a rare bit of logic from the usually emotional blonde, she'd dismissed the Whites almost as soon as she understood what they were about.  She could never give up how she felt just because it was the 'right' thing to do, and she had no interest in doing so.

If Elyssa gave any indication that the Accepted might want to pause for a breath and give the Aes Sedai a chance to answer all these questions, it was lost on Selene as she babbled on about how confused she was and which specific things she needed clarification on.  Being asked what she wanted to know about an Ajah was like being asked to practice the 100 weaves for the test to be Aes Sedai without ever being told which weaves they were.  There was so much to know, and she didn't know where to start.

When at last she did cease her questions, it was to take a long drink of the tea that had cooled beside her.  It was only when she was drinking and realized her throat was so parched that she notived how long she had been talking.  "Forgive me, Aes Sedai.  I do tend to go on, I didn't mean to disrespect you by not waiting for your answers."  She bit her tongue and bade herself to not ask any more until the Sedai had finished speaking.

Selenessin

A little nervous.