DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anyone inspired by WoT in different ways?

DaTaimsta

I believe it was on Robert Jordan's blog and the farewells that many left on there that I found the idea for this topic. Wheel of Time is obviously a part of all of our lives here at Dragonmount, and we all like the series, or we wouldn't be here discussing it every other day. I was also wondering, after reading many farewells and condolences, how Wheel of Time has inspired you in your lifetime?

I found one prime example of how the Wheel of Time affected someone, and inspired someone. Some man who had been reading Wheel of Time since its release eventually bought his own horse barn and I believe owns a few horses. He says the main reason for this was the Wheel of Time series, and its emphasis on horses for transportation.

I also remember a woman naming her daughter Egwene and hear many cases of people who will be naming their children after WoT characters. Hell, I've considered Rand a few times. It sounds cool without him being an actual character anyway.

I myself am another example. After reading the Wheel of Time series (or most of it anyway, I'm waiting until I re read the entire series to read Knife of Dreams) I've always wanted to learn how to fight well with my hands. Rand learning how to do so, and just about every Warder being proficient in it, got me very interested. I went to some MMA and martial arts classes and now I do it about 3-4 times a week, 2-3 hours a day. It's just amazing to me how much influence Wheel of Time has had on that part of my life, and the man with the horses.

Anyone else experience something like this? Has a particular part of your life changed because of Wheel of Time?

• 2 weeks later...

WoT inspires me to not quit and keep going, even when things suck because ultimatly the alternative( being dead) is not any better. I also started MMA a little while ago, then I got armbarred too hard by a new kid and im now out for several months  :-[.

WOT euphemistic swearing has changed my language and inspired me not to be so foul mouthed. Coming from a blue-collar background and having spent a few years in the military, my language is not exactly gentile. However, now when the need to curse and scream arises, it's "Blood and bloody ashes!" or "Light!". This is perfectly acceptible cussing in our society and offends no one. I also find  myself slipping in bits of WOT proverbs and maxims. I told a friend the other day "Don't trouble trouble, till trouble troubles you." I'm waiting for the right conversation to say "Just remember, on the heights, the paths are paved with daggers."

WOT euphemistic swearing has changed my language and inspired me not to be so foul mouthed. Coming from a blue-collar background and having spent a few years in the military, my language is not exactly gentile. However, now when the need to curse and scream arises, it's "Blood and bloody ashes!" or "Light!". This is perfectly acceptible cussing in our society and offends no one. I also find  myself slipping in bits of WOT proverbs and maxims. I told a friend the other day "Don't trouble trouble, till trouble troubles you." I'm waiting for the right conversation to say "Just remember, on the heights, the paths are paved with daggers."

Haha, its so true, I didnt even realize it when I cursed " Blood and Bloody Ashes" while playing video games at a friends house, they looked at me with the wierdest expression, classic.

Probably the most influencial thing it has taught me is to remain calm (I've always been a little high-strung).  I've learned that I can accomplish a lot more, avoid potentially hazardous situations, talk my way out of trouble, not foul things up, and appear more intellegent if I remain calm.  The descriptions of the novice excercizes never worked for me (yes, I've tried), but the concept of letting go of emotions and proceeding calmly does help; a lot in fact. 

Ironically, when I haven't done a re-read in awhile, I find myself getting over-anxious about things.  I've never connected the re-reads to my period of being more calm before. 

Death is as Light as a Feather;

but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain.

To me those are the wisest phrase I have ever read in the WoT series. Often, as I was deployed overseas in Iraq, those words would come to me, reminding me of my duty as a sergeant to my fellow soldiers. The Wheel of Time series has been a vital part of my life ever since I read The Eye of the World in December of 1990. Like a ta'veren, the book pulled on me, and drew me into Robert Jordan's world.

Unfortunately, I have never had the good fortune to get to meet James Oliver Rigney, and yet, I feel like I almost know the man through his writing, and his blogs, and through his books, the Wheel of Time.

In every Wheel of Time Book, in the "About the author section," One phrase always stood out to me: "He plans to continue writing until they nail shut his coffin."

When I heard from Wotmania.com and Dragonmount.com that he took the effort to dictate outlines and notes for the last book, I was struck again at how true those words were, and what kind of man He was. To me, James Oliver Rigney is The Dragon, and he will remain Robert Jordan, The Creator.

Death is as Light as a Feather;

but Duty is as Heavy as a Mountain.

I've liked all these awesome replies, especially the one from the guy who was in the army. That's really cool. Like a few other replies, I also put the calm aspect of Aes Sedai into play in my everyday life. I also try not to look too affected by heat or cold....I know, it's pretty funny. I'm getting a little better at that at least.

WoT inspires me to not quit and keep going, even when things suck because ultimatly the alternative( being dead) is not any better. I also started MMA a little while ago, then I got armbarred too hard by a new kid and im now out for several months  :-[.

Geez, didn't you tap? That's bad luck bud, keep rehabilitating.

Archived