DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Past Time To Leave (Finally Free Part 2)...((Attn: Kabria)

Sieve

Perivar woke this morning with a smile on his face.  With the turmoil of the previous days behind him he felt relieved.  Now he was focused on the mission as he should have been all along.  Kabria's exterior showed mirrored the bond in that she appeared focused but he detected a hint of...concern he thought.  An Aes Sedai missing was not a small thing.  She must be feeling the weight of being handed such a dire mission.  She did not give herself enough credit, she was far more capable than she would admit.

Kabria was almost finished making herself ready.  He offered her a smile then walked to her to grasp her hand.  "All will be well my love.  We will find her."  He quickly thought of his faith in her so that confidence flowed through the bond instead of the doubt that he felt for a positive outcome to their mission.  Perivar turned away gathering up their belongings.  He felt bad for thinking their mission would not go well but Aes Sedai did not just dissappear in the Borderlands for no reason.  He also worried about Kabria putting herself in harm's way but then she would be feeling the same for him.  Their duty had brought them together and they would not shy away from danger, their duty must be done.  It was simple, the Light had to prevail over the Shadow, the world depended on it.

Perivar stood at the door with their saddlebags and bundles of supplies draped about him.  The rest of the supplies were already being loaded to the packhorse and Chalinda's horse.  Her mount and it's empty saddle would be a contstant reminder of their mission.  Perivar hefted Kabria's extra bundle and laughed out loud.  "I thought you said you were packing lightly.  I think you may have packed every stitch of clothing in your possession."  Perivar stood admiring Kabria while he held the door open for her as she finished her preparations to leave.  Light she was beautiful...she was intelligent and passionate in all aspects of life.  There was so much that he admired about her, he was glad things were back to normal between them.

Kabria’s dreams were troubled, and she tossed and turned through the night..images of Trollocs and other creatures of the Blight carrying her Sister in the Blight’s depths.  Before the sun she was out of bed and dressed, even before Perivar awoke. Looking in to the mirror in her dressing room she recited encouragement to herself, trying to make herself believe. Perivar’s unwavering confidence in her could be unnerving, as she didn’t want to let him down, but as it flowed into her this morning she welcomed it with open arms.

"I thought you said you were packing lightly.  I think you may have packed every stitch of clothing in your possession."

Kabria smirked at him and arched her eyebrow. “Perhaps if it is too heavy for you Gaidin I should find another younger man, not so touched by age.” She winked and laughed as she walked out of the room before him, leaving him to shut the door to their rooms. It felt like shutting a door on a chapter of their lives, and in a way she supposed it was. They had only occupied that room a short time, but it had already seen their happiest and their worst .Setting out now it was a possibility that only a portrait of Kabria would return. Inscribed with her name and how she died as a remembrance to generations to come. 

Quickening her step she led them to where the horses waited and watched as their bundles were tide on. She couldn’t seem to tear her gaze from the rider less horse and what it symbolized. Her mind was so caught around her Sister that she jumped where Perivar laid a hand on her arm. “I was..Yes, well we should go.” Not even pausing to pat Blade she vaulted into his saddle and sat awaiting her Warder. Perivar still stood on the ground staring at her with a look of mixed concern on his face. “Even Aes Sedai can have fear Gaidin, and right now it grips me, but we must go on.”

They did not set a quick pace, but one the horses could maintain for hours without rest. This close to Tar Valon there was not need to scout ahead or their back trial so Kabria and Perivar rode in silence. Each lost in their own emotions about the trip to come.  It was a new beginning and a chance to prove herself, an opportunity to reconnect to the past and forge new bonds. So much could change and be decided and this was only her first time outside of Tar Valon.

The first night as they stopped Kabria’s spirits lifted as she helped to light the fire and prepare the camp. She had complained and fought at having to cook, but tonight she took pride at preparing their meal. It was much better than her first attempt, if not as good as Perivar could have done. “You see, in some ways I am very much like a young farm wife. None of them can cook at first either.”  She laughed and scooped the last of the stew into her mouth.  “Perhaps I should have settled down with a husband and a cow.  Maybe then I would be a better cook by now, I am over 30 after all.”

“Light over 30 and not married, what would my mother say?! She would be scandalized and ashamed. Katrina was such a twit I have no doubt she is still a maid chasing after nobles, or who knows she could have bagged herself one by now.”   Looking over she realized Perivar was staring at her with a bewildered look.

“Katrina was my mother, my birth mother.” It was at that moment that she realized that she’d never before invoked the woman’s name. She spoke often of her grandparents and of her time of the Sea Folk ship, but never of her mother. “I am not sure what brought her to mind, really, perhaps it’s the fact that I am headed home.”

Getting up she cleaned their bowls and tucked them back away in the pack before settling back down next to Perivar. “I swear I didn’t mean my comment as even a hint of marriage, it was just idle thoughts about a woman and her ideals. I hope you know I would never push for marriage, not being..what we are.” Patting his hand and giving him a light kiss on the cheek she settled back against the large log that would serve as a pillow and closed her eyes. She wasn’t tired yet, but she was unsure of what else to say. It always seemed to be her that brought up marriage, and even when she meant nothing by it Perivar always seemed to be put on edge.

Perivar could have ridden through the night, a gift of the Warder bond yet the same did not apply to Kabria.  She was just the type that would insist that she could have continued on yet it would do them no good if she was too tired to channel if needed.  It had been a long day's ride, they kept the horses to a steady pace, a pace that covered a significant amount of ground. 

The ride had been a quiet one.  Kabria made efforts to seem upbeat yet he knew she was feeling the strain of their mission.  Perivar felt it too but the majority of the weight rested on Kabria's shoulders.  He thought about cutting her sister's horse loose and let it find its way back to Tar Valon.  A foolish thought, as much as the sight of her sister's mount ate at Kabria it was also a motivator.

Kabria took her turn at cooking while he saw to the horses and their belongings, she did not even complain about doing so.  He smiled as he recalled her earlier comments about his age, she might just find a younger man to taunt him with.  You never knew what Kabria would do to get a rise out of him.  He almost wished that she had a handful of warders like some of her sisters in her ajah.  He would not share her love with another man but what if it was just the bond?  Because of his undying love for her he thought he could handle it, for her safety he could. 

What had shocked him was her admission of her fear.  It had filled him with pride, it took courage to voice your fears.  Perivar did not need her words to know that she would overcome her fear, she would see this mission through no matter the cost.  What he feared was her safety but he could not voice it, that would only lead to sharp words.  She was certainly no porcelain doll, she was a lioness, as brave as the day was long.

Perivar laughed at her comments about being a farm wife and very nearly spit out his food.  He was surprised when she mentioned her age.  Until now he had no clue as to her true age.  He had a vague idea but he did not truly know how old she was.  It simply never came up before.  Her age mattered little though, he loved her whether she was thrity or one hundred and thirty.

Katrina, the name seemed to hang in the air.  He obviously had given an outward sign of his consternation as his mind churned.  Kabria had never mentioned the name of her mother before, it had to be her mother.  It did not take much to make the connection yet she made it for him anyway.  He was not the most intelligent but he was wise enough to put it together.  Home, they had always talked of finding her grandparents but she rarely called Kandor her home.  She was a Borderlander, not just in blood but her heart was that of a Borderlander as well. 

Perivar went to reach for her hand but Kabria had already gotten up.  After cleaning their bowls and packing them away she returned to him.   “I swear I didn’t mean my comment as even a hint of marriage, it was just idle thoughts about a woman and her ideals. I hope you know I would never push for marriage, not being..what we are.”

Perivar was thinking on her words as she touched his hand then lightly kissed his cheek before laying back and closing her eyes.  She had mentioned marriage here and there but could she truly want to marry.  They were linked already and the love between then was evident yet could she be longing to take that final step.  Light he had no idea.  He had thought about it, dreamt they led different lives as man and wife yet was it possible given their circumstances?  If only he was better at this.

Perivar concentrated so hard on finding the right way to move forward that he was unsure if he was aware of his surroundings at all.  A trolloc could have snuck up on him and crushed his skull. "not being..what we are."  The words resonated...he had thought the same, it was the reason he had never mentioned it.  If not for them being what they were they would have likely been married by now, maybe even with a child or two.  Was it really not possible given what they were?  Was it against Tower Law or just not customary?

He must have spoken his thoughts aloud for Kabria's eyes popped open to stare at him.  "Well?  Are we truly that different Kabria.  Is marriage is not an option for servants of the White Tower?  I love you and no other Kabria, but..."  He shrugged "I just thought it was not in the cards for us, thought there was no way.  I've heard rumors of others, mostly Greens.  Is there a law against it?"  He stammered as he eyed her waiting for a response.  She just looked at him. 

"Light Kabria I am not asking, not this way...I mean"  "No, it's coming out all wrong...you know what I mean."  His face must have turned three shades of red.  He hoped she would let him off the hook and say she understood yet she let him flounder.  "I do not want to seem so casual or improper but I want to know if it is something you desire.  I don't want to pressure you either if it is not what you want but if you do then...?"  Then what you fool he thought to himself.  What do you have to offer her?  You are lucky that she bonded you and that you have proof of her love for you.  It seemed like a lifetime before she responded.

With her eyes closed she saw her mother’s face, and for the first time in ages with was Katrina’s not Shenesta’s face she studied. She could see the similarity in the gentle curve of their lips, and in the intensity of their icy blue eyes. She’d tried to deny the ties that she’d been born too, but now, so close to her homeland she couldn’t help but wonder about family. 

Brief flashes of her father worked their way into her memory, showing where she got her strong nose and slight tilt to her chin. Kabria always fantasized that if she could ever form a clear picture of her father in her mind it would unlock the keys to her past. As it was she remembered little before the Sea Folk raker and almost nothing of her earliest years. The grandparents she would soon find would sadly only be one piece in the missing puzzle of her life. Still it was something to be joyous about.

Even while she daydreamed a small part of Kabria felt a bone deep shame. Her Sister was the purpose for this mission, her family only a side note and yet she couldn’t tear them from her mind. Still….what can I do for my missing Sister in my dreams?

There was a change in the bond. A puzzled, almost awe like emotion. Kabria’s eyes snapped open and she looked into Perivar’s face, struggling to recall what they’d been speaking of.

“Is there a law against it?"   She blinked pulled herself into a sitting position, for one of the very first times she was speechless.

He thought she had been hinting about wanting to marry! How could she explain that she was really only musing about family; and explain it without breaking his heart? And…… did she want to explain?

"Light Kabria I am not asking, not this way...I mean"   His face was turning red and she could feel his angst, but still no words would come. "No, it's coming out all wrong...you know what I mean." Many times she knew his thoughts better than he did, but now was not one of those occasions. In this moment his emotions were such a jumble she could hardly tell his from hers."I do not want to seem so casual or improper but I want to know if it is something you desire.  I don't want to pressure you either if it is not what you want but if you do then...?"

Her brow furrowed and she shifted uncomfortably on the ground, trying to decide what to say..or do. “I…” She cleared her throat and tried to choose her words carefully, a task she rarely attempted; but she knew another fight so close on the tails of another could mean disaster.

“You ask if marriage is something I desire?” A few moments passed with Kabria looking down at her hands, while her soul searched inward. “I would love to marry you Perivar, and there is no law saying that I cannot. As you said some Sister’s do marry, and mainly Green’s, but I did not know if..if it was something you wanted yet..or ever.”

Reaching back Kabria pulled the cloak she’d been intending to use as a blanket over her shoulders and scooted closer to Perivar, until their knee’s touched and she could lay her hands on his.

“I am Aes Sedai, but that does not make me any less a woman, In fact I think it makes me a woman a hundred fold. Yet, I am denied many pleasures that even the poorest farm wife expects. I am denied a hearth, for the Tower is my home and I am denied babes and the pleasure of watching them grow as my child is our fight. The one thing I am not denied is love and yet I struggle with it so. I can tell you this..As long as I have your love I need no more, but I will not deny what my heart desires.”

His arms wrapped around her and she leaned back against his chest, staring up at the stars. “I am older than you Perivar, maybe more years than you knew. This name day will be my 32nd, which means I was already on a Sea Folk ship when you took your first breaths. I do not say that for any other reason than to point out my understanding, if you do not feel ready. I’m sure at your age I could not have even considered the notion.” Her small laugh was a tinkling chime, and she shook her head just slightly. Kabria had come so far from the young woman she’d been then, but she still had so far to go.

“At your age I’d hardly even spoken to a man, or looked at them as more than a necessary evil” Idly she wondered if he ever really knew the depth of her fear the first day they’d met.  “Now of course I know how necessary you are.” She shifted, and made a small growl in her throat, and felt the fires ignite in the bond. “I mean,..who else would haul around all my dresses?”

Laughing richly she used a weave of air to stoke the flames and take away a little of the nights chill. “I’m sorry Perivar, I didn’t mean to strike up another serious debate. Though we seem to have those all too often of late.”

Perivar laughed heartily at her jibe about someone to haul around her dresses.  One moment the feeling through the bond was so...wonderful, the next moment she was poking fun at him.  She probably felt the need to lighten the conversation.  She was worried about starting an argument but he did not think it would go that way.

Kabria always thought of him as young but back home he would have been married with children.  Probably some noble's daughter which had been hand picked by his mother.  He was not about to tell her that, she was somewhat unaware of life in the Borderlands except for what she had read.  They had spoken often enough of the Borderlands and customs, perhaps he had never mentioned the fact that he would have been married already had he been home.  You grew up quick in such an environment.  Actually he was probably five years past the point where a marriage would have been arranged.

A smile formed on his face.  It felt good having her in his arms.  "Kabria, I have no intention turning this into a debate."  He spoke lightly trying to soften his voice to show he meant to keep the conversation light.  "I do love making up Kabria, I like it more than I should yet..."  A mischievous grin formed on his face.  "certainly we can talk casually without turning it into a debate.  We are both on edge so often that we do not speak enough, not civily at least.  Me moreso than you and for that I am sorry.  I think in my struggle to become your Warder I have neglected being a suitable companion.  I have trained so hard and tried to become what I thought I should be for you but I missed the mark by a fair margin.  So often words have gone unspoken, it shouldn't be and I will not push away a conversation because of where it may go."

For a moment he looked up to stare at the stars.  The warmth of her body was comforting.  "When I came to the Tower I was sixteen and had a narrow focus of what my life would be.  My focus was to serve the Tower and through that service bring honor to my family, that was it.  Well to be honest you turned my whole world upside down."  Kabria shot him a look that said to choose his words carefully. 

"Peace Kabria!  I was just saying that I had never expected to find love.  I feel like the luckiest man alive, when I felt your love through the bond for the first time I thought that was the pinnacle of my life.  I never thought there could be more.  Like you said, I need no more, knowing you love me is enough but...if there is more in our future then I would cherish it, I will welcome it with open arms.  I want to be more than your blade, I want to make you as happy as can be, I want to be a man that you can be proud of.  It may seem selfish or foolish maybe but I want it all, all that we can have and all that we can be together.  I never wanted much until I met you.  I feel as though I have made a dog's dinner of it all.  You have given me much more than I could have ever wished, much more than I deserved and I have not done well with it.  I am sorry for that.  I have not acted like a man who is worthy of your love." 

He paused, wondering if anything he said made any sense to her.  Perivar had never opened up to her so much, or anyone else for that matter, not since she found him on the edge of despair.  Opening up was not something he did easily, he was so used to masking his emotions.  It felt good to talk to her, to open up.  He was trying so hard not to be the stone she was so used to but would she see him as soft.  For someone of noble birth his words were less than eloquent.

She knew in her heart that most times it was her that turned their discussions into something more, but then no one could ever accuse her of not being passionate. Kabria did everything with her whole self, because for so long it was the only way she knew how to be. She’d always known solitude and some days it seemed like the only place she was comfortable was curled up with a book. Words on a page never talked back, or forced you into a discussion you weren’t ready for, or made you recite things from history or serve tables at a tavern. Books were simply a means of conveying hopes and dreams, and were records of the past.  Sadly life… and conversations were rarely as eloquent. 

“..Well to be honest you turned my whole world upside down."  Kabria glanced up at him and shook her head. She’d turned his world upside down? He’d made her feel like she was falling with no way of knowing where the bottom was or how hard she would hit

Words like hearth and babe had never crossed her mind, let alone pass through her lips. She’d come to the Tower at least partly to avoid the tangles of men; the way they stared and the way they whispered promises in her ear. They would promise to take her away, and buy her riches when all she ever wanted was to be left alone. Most would leave after a clear look at her eyes, failing that they were gone shortly after she opened her mouth…at least until Perivar. 

She held a knife to his head, threatening the thing a boy of Arafel would hold dear. “I have also heard that you would die before you would hurt a woman. Does that extend itself to restraining one to keep your precious braids?” Her other hand held the knife poised ready to slice off the braid if he twitched. “Care to drop your little game”

She remembered the way he tensed, but didn’t move an inch, even when she bared down with the knife. He’d only calmly pointed out her wrongness.

"It is an insult that you would ask such a question, Accepted.Certainly in your studies you have learned that no borderlander would dare harm a woman, a woman alone may ask for protection and I would be bound by honor to serve."

By some gift of the Light that day had gone from threats to something that could only be called young love.

Reaching up she tugged at his hair, briefly missing his braids. The quizzical look he gave her was enough to make her laugh. Pulling his lips to hers she kissed him passionately and when they both had their breath again she explained.

“I will never forget your stubborn pride, or your unwillingness to back down. All I wanted was to scare you away after you'd finished up your use..at yet..you wouldn't go." For a moment she almost dared to ask him why. What made him stay?"Oh..Perivar you have been more than enough for me, sometimes I think more than I deserve.  Since I know you won’t believe that, I only ask you to think a moment on the fact that I cannot lie.” Giving his hair another tug she settled back into his arms.

“I am glad that you opened up to me, and I to you. I think perhaps it was the thing lacking in our lives. It goes without question that physically we are a match, and that there is no other I would want as my sword, but simply speaking emotions is hard..for both of us. I for one would like to try and be better , perhaps it will avoid me having to ask you to marry me.” When he looked down at her with the shock that was mirrored in the bond, she only winked. 

“The journey we are both about to take may not be easy..finding my Sister and then my family and seeing yours. I cannot see your family being happy about all the..changes in you, I hope they do not worry you too much. I know I have many fears about what Katrina’s parents will think of me.”

She was trying to move past what if’s and focus on the positives. It may be a step to helping file down her tongue.

Light she was standing him on his head again.  The kisses left him breathless and witless it seemed.  The way she playfully tugged at his hair, it was unsettling and the feeling through the bond was...well he could not find the words but his face should be bright crimson.  Her words were endearing and comforting even though he could scarcely believe them.  He knew she couldn't lie but it still seemed hard to grasp that she felt this way about him.

"perhaps it will avoid me having to ask you to marry me.”  Shock flowed through the bond and he stared down at her.  She winked...was she joking again?  She addled his brain so effortlessly.  Light did she know how easily she could put him off balance with a simple look.  Ooh she knew how easily she could do it with words but did she know how her smile or a look or a simple a wink affected him.  A simple appreciative look could make him feel like a King.  Like he was the only man in the world.  There were times, times when he was on the edge of despair when he had silently begged for a smile from her, or a simple touch, anything.   

"Your grandparents would be proud I'm sure.  Look what you have become."  Perivar held Aes Sedai on a pedestal and expected other to do the same.  He held Kabria even higher and expected the same from others.  "I am sure they will be glad to see their granddaughter."  If they weren't he might drub them until they saw the right of it. 

Perivar purposely omitted mention of her sister.  No reason to speak false hope when she could detect it through the bond.  "Changes...I guess there have been a few."  He unconciously touched his hair then let his hand drift to his chest where the tattoo was before letting it rest.  He idly fingered the ring she had given him as he so often did.  "My father will see the changes for what they are.  Mother on the other hand will be less accepting I think, I am going to have to have words with her I am sure, to make her see the right of it.  My mother will come around but it may take some time.  She was not happy with my father's decision to send me here.  I am sure she is not happy with the White Tower."  That was putting it mildly.  She had had sharp words for his father when he informed her what he was doing. 

"When I first arrived in the warder yards I feared that she would travel to Tar Valon and tell the Amyrlin Seat that she wanted her son back."  Perivar laughed aloud  "Could you imagine the Amyrlin Seat's reaction?  She would have to bound and gag my mother and stuff her in a carriage to send her home."

Perivar had been dreading this for a while, everytime Kabria mentioned visiting his home.  "Please do not be offended if my mother does not warm to you immediately.  She will come around though it may take some time."  He nervously glanced down at her.  "In her mind she may see you as the White Tower.  She may very well see you as the reason her son is no longer with her.  She is formidable and tough to deal with at times but she is a good woman.  My mother expects others to conform to her way of thinking, she is used to getting her way."  Light he did not sound very reassuring.  In a way Kabria reminded him of his mother.  Strong, passionate, in control, and as hard to move as a boulder. "Father often accepted her counsel, it is our way.  In Arafel it is said that the King takes the advice of his Queen over that of his advisors."

Perivar hugged her tight.  "Please give it time, please...mother will come to love you as much as I do, of that I am sure.  She will see that I am happy and well cared for.  I don't look like I've missed a meal do I?  Surely she would see it straight away if she knew of the benefits of the warder bond.  How could a mother not appreciate that her son has received such gifts.  Unfortunately we cannot speak of that with her."  He chuckled nervously.  It would probably be best not to tell her they were in love yet he would not deny or disrespect the love that he and Kabria shared.  "When she realizes how much I love you she will accept it all."  She would have to, he could no sooner change the weather than change his love for Kabria or what they were.  "Come to think of it, she will be more accepting of our love rather than what we are.  Surely she will want us stay with them and not go harrying off to the light knows where."  Perivar's words trailed off.  He stroked Kabria's hair and drank in her scent as he stared off into the night.  "You should rest my love."     

Whether her grandparents chose to welcome her with open arms or slam the door in her face Kabria would be comforted by simply knowing they were alive and well. She believed that everyone should know about their past and where they came from, though that did not mean everyone got a happy ending.

Listening to Perivar talk about his mother made Kabria tense. If the woman would make demands of the Amyrlin Seat, she would have no qualms about speaking her mind to a Sister. Holding on to her serenity would be no issue, not in the face of someone not an intimate of the Tower, but could she rein in her temper and sharp tongue if the woman spoke too freely? Kabria was as stubborn as the day was long but she also knew her faults, and never denied the existence of a cutting wit.

"In her mind she may see you as the White Tower.  She may very well see you as the reason her son is no longer with her.  She is formidable and tough to deal with at times but she is a good woman.  My mother expects others to conform to her way of thinking, she is used to getting her way."

“Peace Perivar!! She sounds as if she could be me! When have you ever not known me to get what I want?” She sounded a tad spoiled, but it was the truth. “I do not see this going well at all. For you I will try my hardest to still my tongue, but if she says too much…. You know holding my temper is not my strongest attribute so I can make no promise to you that I don’t know as true.” Even if the Oath’s allowed her lies she could never speak one to him, not to one she loved so dearly.  “I’m afraid I have not managed to provide you any comfort about your own trip home, and I am sorry, but I have a feeling this trip may hold many surprises, for both of us.”

"You should rest my love."Sleep, she did not think it would come quickly, if it came at all but she lay her head down in hopes of a few hours before the sun was up.

A few hours was all that she received, with the moon still in the sky her eyes opened and she knew her sleep was at an end. Her dreams had been fitful, filled with Trolloc’s and a large woman with something of Perivar’s face ordering her to release her son, and more still with that same woman sending Kabria off to fight in the Blight alone; “to test her worth.”  Shivering she threw back the blanket and looked around for Perivar. She knew he would be close, but at that moment she wanted the comfort of his arms. “It’s too bad we cannot shield our dreams from the horrors of our own mind.” She muttered to herself as she washed and changed into a new dress. As quietly as she could manage she followed the bond to where her love was standing guard. “You should try and sleep. There is nothing here to harm us and the wards I always set will let us know if there is.” Slipping her arm through his she pulled him to his feet; rather he allowed her to, and walked him back to the fire. “ Even Warder’s steal a few hours sleep now and then. I can guard your rest, just as you’ve guarded mine my love.” She expected ten kinds of protest, but instead only received a small smile and a kiss before he turned in. Perhaps I should always try kindness first? If it’s going to work this well.

Taking a seat on the log she watched the fire and tried to forget her dreams. The memories would be a long time fading, but by the time Perivar rose the worst of the feelings were gone. Her stomach was still clenched tight at the idea of facing his mother, but that was only one fear in a pile the size of Tar Valon.

Camp was broken mostly in silence and they were back on their way before the sun had done more than wake. In spite of her few hours of fitful sleep, and fear Kabria felt fresh, without a hint of fatigue. It seemed that even with all the problems facing them it still felt good to be out on their own.

Perivar watched Kabria sleep for a while then made a few circuits around their camp.  His mind was filled with the possible scenarios they would encounter when he returned to his former home.  The thought of it being his former home did not seem odd.  Now his home was wherever Kabria was...their rooms in the Green Ajah quarters in the White Tower was the closest thing to a home that the could achieve.  He deeply regretted the time wasted fighting over the last week.  At least their last night in their room had been pleasant.  Well it was much more than pleasant.

Perivar did a few more circuits around the camp.  The night was still, nothing stirred except for a few small animals chittering away.  The sky was clear and filled with stars.  Kabria was beginning to stir.  He could not see her in the dark but he knew. 

Moments later she was making her way toward him.  Crouching on his heels he watched her approach.  He offered her a smile when she was close enough to sleep.  “You should try and sleep. There is nothing here to harm us and the wards I always set will let us know if there is.”  She said slipping her arm through his guiding him to his feet.  There was no use resisting, so he nodded.  “Even Warder’s steal a few hours sleep now and then. I can guard your rest, just as you’ve guarded mine my love.”  She was right, and she was more than capable of guarding his back.  Protesting would only make it seem as if he thought she was not capable of doing so, that was how she would see it.  He smiled warmly and gave her a gentle kiss.  All of the weight on her shoulders and she was worrying about him.  Love, bright as a midday sun shone through the bond and he felt the same in return.

He nodded off as soon as he wrapped himself in the blankets and closed his eyes.  His sleep was restful except for a few nagging dreams.  He worried over Kabria meeting his family.  He would not forgive his mother if she caused a rift between he and Kabria.  His mother was his mother but he loved Kabria and was sworn to her besides.  He hoped for the best, his mother had to see the right of it, she had to.

Well before midday they passed through a small village after stopping briefly for a quick meal.  The inn was small and the shops were sparse.  Farmland surrounded the village.  As they rode the soft clip clop of the horses hooves and the creak of leather were the only sounds to be heard.  Perivar turned to Kabria "Have you ever passed through a village or a city and wonder what it would be like to live there?  Could it be much different than another place?"  He was not sure where that came from, just a thought that popped into his head.  It was a question he had thought on often. 

Kabria enjoyed riding; at least she had since Jasine had taught her how to mount a horse without breaking her neck. In the years since she’d become a more than passable rider, looking as graceful on Blade’s back as she did on foot. Patting the warhorse’s neck she looked around with interests at the farms they passed. She’d read countless books on farming, but had always wanted to visit one. Perhaps after her Sister was found.

When they stopped in a small village for lunch Kabria resisted the urge to pull up her cowl to cover her face. She’d not achieved the ageless look fully yet, but in her own eyes she could see the starting of the change.  Even knowing that others wouldn’t see it, she still had to fight the urge. It wasn’t violence she feared, never that in the Borderlands; it was the looks of awe. Even after spending time in Sheinar she couldn’t get used to the stares of respect she saw in every eye. Finishing their meal quickly they were back on the road as the sun reached its peak.

"Have you ever passed through a village or a city and wonder what it would be like to live there?  Could it be much different than another place?" She eyed him quizzically before she answered. It was unlike him to make idle conversation but then, all things change. “Only with every town, village, city or farm I see. Why do you think I read so much? I’ve always longed to know about the lives I could of lived say if I had been born in…Arad Doman..or  Andor. I often see people’s faces and wonder what lives they lead. Do they have someone to go home to at night? Or enough to eat? What do they do on a daily basis?” She laughed as a farmer with a cart and ox passed them going the other way. “Could you see yourself with the gode? Walking beside the ox?” It was a rhetorical question, and she didn’t give him a chance to respond. Without knowing it Perivar had given her a opening to a topic she been unsure of how to start. “I think every land is different, but the hearts of all people are the same. Our dreams and our daily routines may differ, but at the end of the day you and I would not be too different no matter where we lived or how we were born.”   Her smile was warm and she felt the currents of love that passed between them when their eyes met.

“There is something I have been meaning to talk to you about.” She smiled again to show him that it was nothing too serious. “Before I left the Tower I arranged a few letters of rights with my banker. Enough money for you and I to live like Kings for years if we must.”  She could feel the question on his lips and hope she interpreted it correctly. “I do not think this mission will take us that long, nor the finding of our families. I….” She hesitated now that it was about to come out into the open. Kabria realized she had no idea how Perivar would feel. Oh he would follow her to the Pit of Doom without complaint, but how would it make him feel?

“I do not think we will see the Tower again for time. There is so much of the World to see and I think we can do more good out here. I know that some Sister’s spend their lives in Tar Valon, never leaving its walls, but I do not think I will ever be one of those. I want to see all the things I’ve read about and for awhile I would like to find my own way….with you.” The bond was still, as if he were thinking, so she pressed on.

“I want to know how you feel Perivar. I want to hear more than just “I will follow you anywhere.” If you are opposed tell me and we can see to making other plans.”  Another small village came into view ahead and she interrupted his train of thought.

“How many more villages can we pass before dark? I think I would like a bed tonight if we can manage it without losing time.”

One idle thought and it was as if the flood gates open.  It was uplifting listening to her speak, better that than focusing on the near future.  Finding her sister, her family, and visiting his could prove difficult at best.  She laughed and he drank it in.  It was so good to see her happy, to hear her musical voice.  The way the sun glimmered in her eyes and highlighted her hair, it gave her a mystical glow.  It was funny, he could see himself with the gode walking beside the ox, he enjoyed menial tasks.  Feelings passed through the bond which he revelled in.

“There is something I have been meaning to talk to you about.”  Perivar would have winced had Kabria not smiled showing him it was nothing to worry over.  Come to think of it she could face death and say it was nothing to worry over.  She went on, at first he did not understand her meaning then it began to sink in the more she opened up.  He thought on her words though time stretched on.  She had no intention of returning anytime soon.  He would go wherever she wished, even if it was to linger in the Tower waiting on the next opportunity to leave yet he much preferred to be out and about.  He was happy as long as he was with her.

Perivar was about to respond though she posed another question.  His mind was still forming his response to the former question though he could have responded to the latter in his sleep.  "We can make another village before the sun sets.  If we try to go farther than that we will be traveling in the dark."

"Well as to the other, the truth is that I will follow you anywhere."  Perivar spoke as if he was made of stone, no emotion in his voice whatsoever.  He flashed a quick smile and chuckled.  It felt good to laugh.  This time his voice was lighter.  "You know I prefer to be traveling rather than sitting idly in the Tower collecting dust.  We can travel to the ends of the world if you wish, you will hear no complaints from me.  I knew you were not one to sit idle in the Tower which suits me just fine."  It was a relief when he had heard her words earlier, almost as refreshing as a breath of fresh air.  He hated sitting idly and knew she did too but they had not been able to go wherever they wished until recently.  In the beginning he thought they might be stuck at the Tower for a few more years before finding their freedom.  A few days in the same place was more than enough for him.

"As you said, we will do more good outside the Tower.  So we will ride to the next village then?"  He had no qualms about sleeping on the hard ground but a soft bed with Kabria in his arms would be nice.  Perivar waited on her nod of assent before bringing Nightdancer to a trot.

They reached the village roughly an hour before sunset.  Perivar had tucked away his color shifting cloak when they came in sight of the village.  Aes Sedai were more than welcome in this region but there was no reason to announce what they were, not yet.  Tongues would flap more if they just thought them a Lady and her armsman.  Some were in such awe of Aes Sedai that they could not form words.  Kabria's ring was the only thing that named her Aes Sedai.  To him her face seemed to be changing slightly though only because he knew it so well.  He knew every angle and feature of her face as if it were etched in his mind.  He could close his eyes and her face was there with a ready smile.  It was as if she was beginning to achieve that ageless look.  It would hardly be noticeable to others.  Perivar could feel Kabria's eyes on him obviously wondering what he was thinking so deeply about. 

Perivar idly tossed coins to the grooms then uttered instructions for the care of their warhorses before turning to smile at Kabria.  Walking to her side he spoke for her ears only.  "You are beautiful, like a rose in full bloom.  It is plain on your face that you were wondering what I was thinking of.  As always I was thinking of you!"  Perivar bowed, this way my Lady.  In the eyes of the townsfolk they would be a Lady and her armsman.  Kabria would have to lay a ward on their room if she did not want anyone to discover they were lovers.  For an instant he flashed her a mischievous smile then held the door for her.  He fought the urge to pinch her bottom as she passed.  That would not do in public though.  She must have sensed something in the bond for she looked over her shoulder, one of her eyebrows arched.  He fixed her with an innocent smile then took up his place a pace behind her.

Her lips were pursed and she had a small grin on her face as she approached the Innkeeper.  He smiled graciously at the lady in silks and offered them his best rooms. “Whatever you have is fine good sir, as long as there is a bed I will be more than happy.” The robust man nodded “Of course my lady” and if he was a little confused by her smile, well… Ladies were a different breed. Walking a pace behind her Kabria could not see Perivar’s face, but she could feel his amusement…and excitement as they were shown to their room.

It was two rooms they were shown, the largest with a view of the street below and a mattress filled to bursting with down. A small door at the back led to the second cramped little room, with a thin mattress and no windows. It was befitting a servant, and Kabria graciously accepted. “I thank you my good sir, these rooms with do just fine. “ Still grinning, almost idiotically, Kabria ushered the man out and assured him that everything was to her liking.  The poor left looking surprised and confused.

“I do believe the Innkeeper thinks I am a complete loon!” She laughed as she wove a ward on the room and sat down on the edge of the bed. “Not that I can blame him really. Most Ladies are cool and reserved and I walk in with a grin that splits my face from ear to ear. We are lucky he believed I was a Lady at all.” Still laughing she pulled Perivar down into bed and the two of them were not seen until Breakfast the next morning.

With the sun shining and most of a night’s sleep Kabria made sure they were on the road close behind the sun. “I swear Perivar! You can addle my brain and make me forget duty like that” she snapped, and shot him a stern look, but there was no emotion behind it. She’d enjoyed herself too much the night before for her words to carry any real heat. With a slight flush to her cheeks she booted Blade to a slightly faster pace. It would be days yet before they reached Sheinar, perhaps a week, she was unsure.  When they traveled before the pace had been set for them, and it was an urgent one.

“How many more days?” She did not need to say anymore, Perivar understood.  However many he said that is how many more days they had to just be a couple. To be a man and woman, a Lady and her Lord, anything but Aes Sedai and Warder. That many more days until duty began and a time for playful games would be at an end.  Smiling at Perivar she tried not to let her feelings show on her face. As they rode on they continued to talk of idle things. Thoughts and Idea, hopes and dreams  and they simply were a couple in love.

One day outside of the city they stopped at the last small Village to find an Inn. This close to the Blight the small village was surrounded by a wall and implements of death lines many of the streets. All the people took the wall and the soldiers as a matter of course, and went on with their daily lives.

“I will leave it to you to find us an Inn, as you are more familiar than I” falling in next to Perivar she let him lead her through the streets.

“I will leave it to you to find us an Inn, as you are more familiar than I”   Perivar nodded as she fell in beside her.  Her voice interrupting his thoughts of the previous days spent as lovers instead of Aes Sedai and Warder.  It was a memorable trip, he could not recall a happier time in his life but now it was time for duty.

The clip clop of the horses hooves and the creak of saddle leather mixed with the din of the hustle and bustle in the small village.  Carts and men pushing barrows passed them without glancing at them or each other.  It seemed like any other village if you dismissed the fact that all the buildings were made to be defended.  If you dismissed the fact that the villagers passed each other as if they were strangers or glared at each other's backs suspiciously. 

Perivar had not realized he had stopped until he felt Kabria's unspoken question through the bond.  He put his hand up to shade the sun then scanned their surroundings as if trying to find his bearings.  Speaking softly to Kabria he said “Something is amiss here.”  Maybe she felt it too.  “Let us find that inn, we will talk inside.”  He very much wanted to ride straight through the village but their would not be another one before they reached the city.  That and perhaps they would learn something here.

Within the hour the had their horses stabled, had their belongings brought to their room, and found themselves in the inn's private dining room after washing up.  He waited until Kabria informed him that she had woven a ward making them private.  “Did you notice it too?”  He asked  almost too emphatically.  “It feels wrong here.  The villagers pass each other like strangers or else they glare suspiciously at the other's backs.  There is a darkness here, like it is being touched by the Shadow.  The reason I chose this inn is that it lies closest to the north and closest to a gate.  I thought of riding straight through though perhaps we can learn something here.  I know there is trouble between Shienar and Arafel but that does not explain why this village is the way it is.  It is almost as if the Shadow is creeping into this place.  It's not the feeling I get when Shadowspawn are near, but it is almost as if I can see it like a blanket over the village.”  His voice was rock solid but concern mixed with his other emotions that flowed through the bond.  If one sister could go missing then so could another.  He would die before he let that happen.

The farther into the village they rode, the more a feeling of dread crept into Kabria. She eyed the people in a new way as she could see their downcast eyes, and the shifty way in which they eyed each other. It was as if neighbors had become strangers, and friends became enemies. The whole village seemed on the point  of….self destruction..or violence.

When Perivar stopped in the street Kabria heeled Blade closer, so their knees almost touched. Why would he stop here?He must of felt her question in the bond, for he answered before she had a chance to ask. Quickly, if not as fast as she could have hoped for they were settled into their rooms and awaiting a meal in a private dining area. Kabria had lain a hand on the Innkeepers arm just before they entered the room and wove a delving, only to find there was nothing to heel. It was unsettling to see a place so amiss. “..It is almost as if the Shadow is creeping into this place.  It's not the feeling I get when Shadowspawn are near, but it is almost as if I can see it like a blanket over the village.”

Kabria walked to the large window and looked out over the streets. “Without asking questions I cannot say what is wrong here.“  It grated her to admit that her experience with such matters was small and for a moment she wondered if Loraine would have a better answer.  “I delved the Innkeeper just before he left and I could feel nothing to be healed..though it was strange for a moment I almost thought…..well no matter, there is nothing to heal which means the problem is external.” Her thoughts raced to the stories she’d read about Aridhol, it could not be that evil, The Light be Blessed, but something had turned these people hearts to stone. “We are in Shienar are we not? Close to Fal Moran, why has the King set idly by and let this happen? Unless…” Turning away from the window she locked eyes with Perivar. “I very much fear that we may find more villages and even cities this way. I will need to meet with the King’s advisor, a fellow Green, if they do not know of this they should be informed.” 

The door began to creep inward without a sound and Kabria embraced the Source. No doubt the Innkeeper had knocked, but her ward worked both ways. Wiping the look of concern she smiled at the old man and his serving girls as they laid out the trays of food.  When she handed them coin for their service they snatched it from her hands as if she would try and take it back. Then they hurried from the room looking over their shoulders until the door was shut.  “We will see worse than suspicion before we are done.” Sighing Kabria sat down at the table and began to dish up her food. In spite of her desire to appear confident and sure, she sniffed at the wine before she drank and looked suspiciously at her food.  It was a great relief to see Perivar do much the same.

“After the meal I think we should go to the common room, I saw a gleeman downstairs as we entered. It may be that we can learn more as people loosen up over ale.  It seems to be putting too much to chance that the condition of this village and my Sister’s disappearance are wholly unrelated. Solving one may very well solve the other.”

Perivar sat watching Kabria as she stood by the large window overlooking the street.  He was silent for the moment thinking on Kabria's words.  She delved the innkeeper she said, but she hesistated to tell him what she almost thought she felt.  What could it be that she felt uncomfortable telling him?  She had never held back from him before, oh she had her secrets he was sure and she was welcomed to them though she had never held anything back in matters such as this.

“We are in Shienar are we not? Close to Fal Moran, why has the King set idly by and let this happen? Unless…”  He was not a fast thinker but he knew what she was thinking.  He had thought much the same.  Perivar doubted this darkness was isolated to just a single village. 

Whatever he was about to say went unspoken as the door began creeping inward.  The ward worked both ways from what Kabria had told him the first time she used one.  Perhaps the person knocked or...in an instant he was up.  He could feel that Kabria was focused...no doubt she had noticed as well.  As the heavy set innkeeper poked his head in Perivar made as if stretching then walked to Kabria's side.  He trusted these people no farther than he would a trolloc. 

Perivar scowled at the backs of the serving girls.  When they snatched the coins from Kabria's hand he had to fight the urge to thump them.  He would let slip any insults to himself but he would not allow them when it came to Kabria.  She had felt him tense and probably something akin to fury through the bond though she had stalled him by resting a hand on his arm.  His left arm of course for his right would have held his sword.

“We will see worse than suspicion before we are done.”   He had a sinking feeling that she was right.  Perhaps they should have taken a detachment of Tower Guards with them, the Light only knew what they were blindly walking into.

Perivar sat as Kabria began dishing up her food then did the same.  He was happy to see that she was just as cautious with the food they were served.  Nothing smelled off, but the only way to know for sure to try it. 

Perivar listened to her words then spoke before she could eat.  "It smells fine but let me eat first.  At least you can do something for me if the food is tainted, the other way..."  He let it rest, she knew.  If the food had been poisoned he could do little for her, it grated but it was the truth.  Perivar dutifully sampled everything on the trays.  Kabria began eating when it was obvious that the food was fine.

"I swear it was not a ploy for me to eat first."  He smiled innocently.  It was a poor attempt at a joke but the needed something to lighten the mood.  What if this darkness could infect them?  Would they be able to tell the onset or would it be too late?

"I fear that you are right, I think we will discover more villages are just like this one.  If the cities are affected then...well we should inform your sister, the advisor to the King.  If this darkness has gripped the city then I fear we may find that your sister is no longer an advisor."  Or no longer what she once was he almost said. 

"I think you are right, the condition of this village and your sister's disappearance are likely related.  I think the common room is a good idea, just take care."  He layed a hand on her arm.  "I know you are more than capable but these people are nearly rabid it seems.  You saw the way the serving girls snatched at the coins.  Those looks were not merely suspicious, this darkness is much worse than I first thought."

Kabria shook her head just slightly; she knew what she was feeling through the bond, regret. Regret that they had not brought more help, but even knowing what he felt she didn’t give voice to her thoughts. It would do him no good to hear that an entire detachment would have alerted whoever or whatever was causing this madness of an Aes Sedai presence. Right now the only thing they had on their side besides the Light was the element of surprise, and even that not for long.

His hand lay on her arm and Kabria smiled at him. He’d felt her deep in thought so often he no doubt knew that there were things she was holding back. Yet even has he worried on his own he tried to smile away her fears. Truly he was a blessing in her life. .  "I know you are more than capable but these people are nearly rabid it seems.  You saw the way the serving girls snatched at the coins.  Those looks were not merely suspicious, this darkness is much worse than I first thought."

She nodded and set her fork down, suddenly not as hungry as she’d been. “It is sad to see any in a Borderland nation in this state. For so long they have fought the Shadow, whiter with a sword or simple defiance and now that they can fight now more all there is to save them is one Aes Sedai and her Warder.” For a brief moment she felt bone deep despair, allowed herself to feel it, to better understand the gravity of their task. Then, just as all Aes Sedai had practiced she tucked it away and set to making plans. Less than half an hour later they were seated down in the common room, at a table of Perivar’s choosing, both sitting with their backs to the wall. Kabria had been right in thinking she’d seen a gleeman before, he stood now on top of one of the tables telling the story of Mara and the Kings. The story was always well received among common people, but tonight no eyes held any laughter and even the gleeman seemed to radiate hate. As she’d expected no one tried to take a seat at their table, she’d been too slow at removing her Great Serpent Ring; which now rested in her pouch. They all knew who and what she was and were not likely to talk with her around.  Leaning close to Perivar she lowered her voice and spoke into his ear. “This will do no good with me here.” While she spoke her fingers dug in her belt pouch and she replaced her ring. “I think it would be best for you alone. You stay here and buy as many drinks as it takes to get these people to start talking.” He would not like this next part and she knew it before she spoke. “I am going to go do a little research of my own. I know of a place that might provide me even more answers than a common room, plus my leaving alone is sure to set even these suspicious tongues wagging.”

Perivar’s hand came down on her arm and his grip was almost painful.  Ignoring the pain she fixed him with a level look. “Listen here you stubborn goat brained fool, you know full well that I can take care of myself, even without the Power. With it, nothing here will harm me. Yes, I know the Power is no good if I take a sword in the back or an arrow, but I do not think the town is that far gone yet. I will be careful and I will be back in no more than an hour. If a time greater than that passes you may come to me..” Pulling his fingers off of her arm and rubbing the spot where he’d held her she gave him a small smile. “Do you understand me Perivar? One Hour.”

Not waiting to hear his protests she stood up from the table and glided out the door without looking back.  The eyes on her back felt like slime and made her want to shiver, but she stepped out in the failing light with purpose. Her destination might not hold all the answers, but it was a place to start.

"all there is to save them is one Aes Sedai and her Warder.”  He felt her despair for a moment then as soon as it had come it was gone.  Not pushed away he thought.  If he knew her half as well as he thought he knew she was tucking the thought away.  A reminder, a challenge, motivation for doing what must be done.  Admiration and love for her flowed through the bond though she was focused on their task.

They sat watching the crowd who in turn glanced at them suspiciously.  No doubt enough of them had seen her Great Serpent Ring before she had taken it off.  Everyone in the common room seem affected by whatever darkness enveloped this town.  People glared at them, even the serving girls who again snatched the coins from his hands.  He handed them the coins now, he would not let them touch Kabria. 

At first when Kabria spoke he thought she meant to retire to their rooms yet he was quickly disabused.  He gripped her arm harder than he should have without realizing it.  As if to keep her from leaving him though he knew it was no use.  She would do as she wished and he was obligated to obey.  One hour! The silent protest rang in his head.  So much could happen in a an hour.

She did not think the town was too far gone?  Was she seeing the same signs that he was?  Perivar had all the evidence he needed.  These people needed to be put down like rabid animals and she wanted to go off alone.  She did not even say where she was going.  Not that he couldn't find her easily enough but she could have told him where.  With a heavy heart he watched her go.  He was not the only one though eyes quickly met his then dropped under his glare.

"Bloody women!"  Perivar did not realize that he had spoken aloud until the innkeeper responded.  "Most of a man's problems involve women."  The innkeeper murmured an apology when he noticed Perivar's glare.  "All is well good master?"  The innkeeper asked obviously concerned about Kabria's departure.

"All is well.  Another round and bring a mug of ale for the Gleeman along with my compliments.  That was a wonderful rendition of Mara and the Kings."  The innkeeper eyed him quizzically though he carried out Perivar's requests.  Perivar continued to scan the room though none seemed to be warming up, even after buying a round for all the patrons. 

Perivar purchased two additional rounds for the Gleeman.  When the weathered old man stepped down from the table he approached.  "I don't know what you are about young master."  The white haired man said accusingly.  "It's nothing more than that I enjoyed your stories.  I have not heard a quality voice such as yours in some time."  Perivar lied though he smiled hoping that it reached his eyes.  The Gleeman was terrible at best, perfect for this place.

"I've been here for months and not one of these louts have so much as uttered a word of appreciation.  That thief of an innkeeper is no better.  A pallet for the night, a pitiful meal and a few coppers are all he gives me.  A thief he is."  The Gleeman's voice became heated.

Perivar noticed the others glance at them but he dismissed them all focusing on the Gleeman.  "Then why stay?  Surely someone with your talent can find employment at another tavern in another town." 

The Gleeman went as if to respond then stopped as if searching the deep recesses of his mind for the answer.  "Can't say why I stay, it certainly isn't the small pittance I get for performing here."  The man grimaced. "It's as if I don't want to leave though the truth is there is little reason to stay."

That was as far as Perivar could get before the innkeeper came to his table and ushered the Gleeman away saying that the patrons were getting restless.  They were no such thing, he doubted even one of them had realized that the Gleeman had taken a break. 

Very odd Perivar thought...he pondered over their brief conversation while studying the bond.  Light why did she have to be so brave he thought furiously then felt a tinge of pride at the thought of her.  She was more brave and courageous than any ten men he had ever met.  She definately addled his brain.

Kabria kept one hand on her dagger as she searched the streets. Walking down broad paved roads and streets barely wide enough to deserve the name her eyes sought out the signs.  Rounding another corner she almost smacked into what she sought. Hanging low from the roof beams were herbs in various stages of drying. Slipping her golden ring off and into her pouch she knocked on the door.  After several moments the door opened a crack to omit an eye. “What do you want child.” A raspy voice barked at her from behind thick wood. “I need a cure for my traveling companion. I saw the herbs and was in hopes that I had come to the right place?” Instead of answering the old bat grunted and opened the door wide enough for Kabria to squeeze through. As soon as Kabria’s heel was through the woman threw her weight against the door and latched two stout locks. “Thank you Mistress” Kabria said, not commenting on the obsessive behavior.

“Sit! And don’t move. I’ll not have you stealing when my back is turned.” Complying with the request she folded her hands in her lap and sat at the table, patiently. Enough time and she would get what she came for. Finally the woman returned with a mortar and pestle in her lap, but instead of asking what ailed Kabria’s friend she only starred. That silence stretched on so long that Kabria finally spoke.”He, my companion, his throat is scratched and it hurts him constantly. Is there something you can do for him?”

Another grunt and she was rooting through jars, muttering to herself. “Tell me Mistress, have you need of an apprentice?”

“One? I could use a gaggle of them! More and more fools darken my doorstep everyday. I’ve had no time to dry and harvest for a month.” A month? Light if it had been that long could she and Perivar really be of any help?  “I’m sorry to hear that, If I were staying more than a few days I would offer myself, but perhaps I can still help.”

Taking the woman’s silence for assent she pressed on, fishing for more. “Has everyone fallen sick? I remember once a few years ago when it hit like lighting. A sickness took one person and within a week the entire crew was infected. A month more and we’d lost half the crew.”

“Not the same here girl, this was slow. Not the same as a ship either. Now take this and get out. I’ve no more time for you senseless natter.” A small package was thrust at her, which she exchanged for a hefty weight of silver.  “Thank you Mistress you’ve been more of a help than you know.” Ducking out the door she walked back to the Inn much faster than she’d left. Much as she expected Perivar was still at his seat in the common room, but his eyes were tight and she could feel his worry before she’d even opened the door. Speaking a few quiet words in his ear they were in the silence of the private dining room in a moment. “What did you find?”

Perivar relaxed slightly as he felt Kabria making her way back to him.  Slightly indeed, he was still on edge at the thought of Kabria being alone in this Light forsaken place.  It had been harder than anything to sit here while she went out alone, harder than he could have imagined to follow a simple order.  The worst part was that he would still be concerned if she had never left his side.  Who knew what these people were capable of.  One might just find the backbone to try something foolish.

To say he was concerned over the state of the village was an understatement though his primary concern was for her, it always was and always would be.  Still, how could a borderland village fall into such a state of despair?  Trying to solve the puzzle had given him a headache.  He could feel the tightness around his eyes and fought the urge to rub his forehead.

Perivar stood as Kabria whispered for him to follow her.  Once inside the private dining room she asked “What did you find?”

He found that letting someone you love walk alone into danger was harder than he could have imagined.  He found even more respect and admiration for her than he already had.  The list was endless...

"What I found amounts to a hill of beans!  I hope you fared better?"  Kabria would not be content with that so he told her about the little he had discovered.  "Well lets see.  The Innkeeper was very curious about your departure.  He did not say so but he watched you go and was lost in deep thought for a while staring at the door.  I almost thought the fool was going to try following you.  Well actually he might have until he saw me glaring at him."  He chuckled then offered her an innocent smile.  It was good to know that the darkness was not creeping into him, not yet at least.  How long could they stay here and remain unaffected?  Best not to think too hard on that yet but it was a concern.

"None of the patrons would say two words to me no matter how many rounds I bought.  The Gleeman was another matter though it was like pulling teeth to get anything out of him.  He was as guarded and suspicious as the rest but a few mugs of ale loosened his tongue a little.  He complained over his pay here and his treatment.  When I asked him why he did not move on he said that everytime he went to leave something made him stay.  He could not say what it was just that he lost the urge to leave.  He has been here for months Kabria.  No Gleeman stays that long in one place unless the pay is extraordinary." 

"I think he would have said more yet the Innkeeper ushered him away before I could get any more out of him.  Right now he is our only source unless you have found another."  He looked at Kabria hopefully though her look said that she had not.  "I believe there is more to learn from the Gleeman though we need to get him alone.  That Innkeeper will not let him talk if he is around."  Perivar paused a moment collecting his thoughts.

"I think the Innkeeper is involved in a way...perhaps involved is the wrong word.  I think he is well aware of what is going on and is content to let it be.  He is either profiting from it somehow or has received a threat or an order not to speak of it to anyone or let anyone else speak of it.  Whatever the case he is going to be trouble."

Kabria had been absorbing every scrap of information in Perivar's words.  Hopefully she could see something in it that he did not.  She was definately more intelligent than Perivar.  Patiently he waited for her to speak. 

The burning in her belly made Kabria’s feet twitch as if she wanted to pace, but in an effort to hold onto some control she sat at the large dining table with her hands folded in her lap as she listened.  “I didn’t find much, but enough perhaps. I went to see the Wise Woman, or Reeder, whatever they are called here. Closed mouthed as she was she gave me some information that may be of use.”

“For one I can tell you that this disease began more than a month gone.” Kabria felt Perivar’s frustration rise, but she barely paused to acknowledge it. “Patience my love, I will come to my point. I can also tell you that it didn’t spread over night or very quickly at all. She said that people still come to her near everyday for help. Truly it is a puzzle and a mystery, but my best guess is that the strong of mind would take longer to infect and perhaps even longer still to succumb. It is always said that Darkfriends must have blackened and hard hearts, but I believe the first evils begin in our minds.”

“That is all only a guess though; I need more to make it fit.” Using a flow of air she rang the small bell by the door and waited in silence for the Innkeeper to emerge.  “Good Evening Innkeeper, can I trouble you for wine?” When the spices were added and the wine was hot Kabria continued on with her thoughts. “ So you think this gleeman can be of use?..” Her fingers tapped in succession on the table. “A gleeman..and this evil…a gleeman?. For the life of me I cannot see how he could be the tie, but I will trust your instincts as it’s the only lead we’ve got.” She smiled just in case he decided to take offence to her words. Perivar was touchy at the strangest times and with his mood already on edge she wanted to leave nothing to chance.

Several hours after full dark Kabria sent Perivar down the back stairs while she descended those in front. She would begin with sweet reason, but one way or another the man was going to talk. Holding up her hand she stopped Perivar at the back of the common room, gliding the rest of the way to where the gleeman sat slumped over his wine, alone. Caution flowed through the bond as she took her seat and she sent back a calm self assurance. “Good evening Master gleeman. No, No, please do not rise.” Since she did not require him to stand he slumped back over his mug and stared into it as if it held all the secrets of life. “My friend tells me you’ve been here some months. Strange for a man in your field to stay in one place, every other I’ve met could hardly stand the same walls a week running.”

“Bah! He may be your friend, but he is a warder for sure!”

“Yes, he is my warder.” Kabria confirmed gently. “But also my friend.” She motioned the serving girl for more wine and the child had the gall to grimace before she obeyed. “So again, why so long in one place? Perhaps you have some ailment of which I can be of some use? Or you are in needs of funds? Or a pretty local caught your eye?”

“No!” The old man practically barked at her. “No? Then tell me why gleeman.” He words were soft, and at odds with the intensity in her eyes. When he’d heard the gleeman yell Perivar crossed the room and quietly took a seat on the man’s other side. “Answer her man.” His voice was as cold and unfeeling as Kabria had ever heard.

“Her with the honey and you with the stick! Well, you’ll not get anything from me. So be gone.” Kabria’s eyebrows climbed and she shook her head slightly in disbelief. Even people who feared and hated the White Tower seldom showed such open contempt. Meeting Perivar’s eyes Kabria nodded.

The man would talk..one way or another.

Perivar descended the back stairs two at a time eager to be back by Kabria's side.  He hated being apart from her even for a second.  It was even worse when he knew danger lurked everywhere.  Being her Warder was emotionally taxing to say the least, she thought little of her own safety.  The fact that he loved her only made it that much harder.  The bond itself was some relief though.  At least he could tell if she was alive, that was some comfort.

Walking into the common room he caught sight of her, relief and the pure joy he got from seeing her surged through the bond.  He did not trust these people one bit and began to make his way to Kabria though she held up her hand to him effectively stopping him in his tracks.  Perivar scanned the room then his eyes went back to her.  Just seeing her close proximity to the Gleeman made him yearn to be by her side.  He was not very trusting of others, especially around Kabria. 

In the void he was one with the common room.  He could see hands twitching, brows furrowing, eyes glaring hatred, and standing out like a midday sun was the Innkeeper.  Worry was plain on the Innkeeper's face as he turned an ear toward where Kabria and the Gleeman were, obviously trying to hear what was being said.  Perivar took in the entire room.  For a moment his eyes lingered on Kabria standing there like a Queen of Battles.  She wore serenity like a cloak standing confidently as if she had thousands of armsmen between her and her prey.  She might as well have been safe as a baby in swaddling for all the care she took.  No fear at all or concern for her safety for that matter.  Kabria had more courage than anyone he had ever met.

“No!” He heard the Gleeman shout defiantly.  That was it! Perivar had had enough, he would endure insults and rudeness towards himself but he would not stand for it being directed at Kabria.  Whatever foul taint this village was under was no excuse.  Before he knew what he was doing he was at the Gleeman's side taking a chair next to him glaring daggers at the fool.  As the flurry of emotions began pressing on him he pushed them all into flame until he could look at the man without wanting to do him harm. 

“Answer her man”  In the void it was as if the voice belonged to another man though he knew he had spoken the words.  “Her with the honey and you with the stick! Well, you’ll not get anything from me. So be gone.”  Perivar could feel Kabria's disbelief mixing with his own as he turned his head to meet her eyes.  He desperately wanted to throttle the man within an inch of his life.  All it took was Kabria's nod and he was on his feet in the blink of an eye. 

Perivar reached to take the man by the scruff of his neck with his right hand at the same time the man produced a dagger.  With his left hand Perivar gripped the man's wrist and twisted as his right hand came down on the man's elbow.  The dagger fell to the floor from nerveless fingers and the pressure on the man's elbow had his face buried into the table. 

Keeping the pressure on the man's arm, Perivar guided him through the common room then through the kitchen and out into the back of the inn.  He was completely oblivious to the stares they generated as they left.  Perivar half dragged the man into the inn's stable.  The stablehands had gone off to bed so the lamps inside had been extinguished leaving the interior so dark that he could not see his own hand in front of his face. 

A ball of light suddenly emerged out of nowhere casting an eerie glow on what was pitch black just a few moments earlier.  It was not too bright nor was it too dim, just right for what they were about.  That of course was Kabria's work and he almost turned to smile at her.  His undying love and feelings of immense pride for her flowed through the bond.  Quickly he bound the Gleeman with the leads hanging on the stable walls to one of the wooden posts that was supporting a rafter.  Wasting no time he walked over and closed the stable doors barring them with a rake when he could not find the thick piece of lumber that was usually used.

The Gleeman spat words of defiance as he approached so Perivar punched the man in the gut hard enough to take his breath from him.  “I believe the Lady asked you a question.”  Perivar spoke the words though again it seemed as if they came from someone else, he was grim as death.  He glared at the man waiting on his response. 

“You mean the Witch...”  That was as far as the man got before Perivar's fist connected with the man's torso.  Perivar heard the grunt and the cracking of ribs though it sounded distant.  The Gleeman coughed and spluttered in turns wincing each time he drew breath.  Even so the man stared defiantly at them then opened his mouth to hurl another insult.  The Gleeman's insult went unspoken as Perivar's fist connected with his mouth.  Seconds later the man was spitting out teeth and blood.  Without the void he might have felt satisfaction though no emotion penetrated the void.

Perivar leaned close to the man's ear whispering threats of what he would do to him.  “I will peel your skin piece by piece until there is none left if I must, but you will talk.  But first we will see how you feel about losing your fingers one at a time.”  The man's eyes bulged for a second then resumed their defiant glare.  "Hard to make your way as a Gleeman without any fingers.  No more plucking your harp or fingering your flute."

Perivar locked eyes with the man as he drew his belt knife then grabbed one of the Gleeman's fingers holding the knife to its base.  The man desperately tried to pull his finger loose to no avail.  “Alright...”  The man shouted “I'll talk!” he called to Kabria.  "Call him off! I'll talk!" Perivar gave the man a sickly grin then a look of disappointment as if he would have enjoyed torturing the man.  He was happy that he remained in the void for he might have breathed a sigh of relief giving away his facade.

Perivar would have done what he had to though he did not think torturing a man would be that easy for him.  What did Kabria think?  What had she felt through the bond?  Idle distant thoughts yet they were there.  He had not been concentrating on the bond nor had he spared a glance for Kabria to see what she thought of his tactics.  He knew what needed to be done but did she?  Would she understand when it was all said an done?  He knew she was courageous but how hard was she?  He could not handle her thinking ill of him, not again.

Perivar heard the stable doors crash open, as the rake snapped like a twig.  Perivar unfolded the Fan smoothly then plucked the singuata from his belt as he turned to face the direction from which the noise came.  “Enough!” Came the voice from beyond the open doors.  He did not need to see the man's face to know it was the Innkeeper who spoke. 

Perivar rushed toward the threat without hesitation, protecting Kabria was the his focus.  Light from a lantern silhouetted four figures standing in the doorway though none appeared to be the Innkeeper.  Most likely he was the lantern holder then, a shame that.  Outside the void the distant thought of putting the man down would be rewarding, after the man spoke of course.  Inside the void it was as if the thoughts belonged to someone else but deep inside he knew they were his. 

Arrows hissed past Perivar as he charged.  He fought the urge to turn around to check on Kabria though he knew none had struck her.  Feeling at the bond he felt her frustration, not pain.  He had no to time think on it, could not spare a thought for it as long as it was not pain.  What he could not see were the two arrows suspended in midair with the third jutting from the throat of the Gleeman's limp body.  That would have explained Kabria's frustration had he been able to see it.

Perivar engaged the four in doorway, he would not let any of them past him, not as long as he had a drop of blood left.  In a manner of moments two of the four facing him were down with mortal wounds.  Perivar danced the forms as skillfully as he could dealing wounds and receiving some in return.  It was as if the latter was happening to someone else's body, not his.  Someone else's limbs burned like fire.  Before the archer's could loose another volley, head sized balls of flame hurled past Perivar striking them down.  Each fireball exploded as they made contact with their target which sent body parts in every direction.

Perivar flowed back into the defensive stance Lion on the Hill, the silence that met him was deafening.  Surveying his surroundings told him it was over.  Three archers dead with their faces burnt beyond recognition, four swordsmen either dead or dying, and one dead Gleeman with an arrow through his throat.  On the ground just outside the doorway to the stables lay the broken lantern.  The Innkeeper was nowhere in sight.  No chance that they would find him in the inn either. 

Perivar winced as he let the void go.  Fire burned in his right leg, and on two places on his left arm.  He wore armor though it did not cover his entire body.  Swordsman were trained to strike where the armor was lacking, these men had definitely not lacked skill. 

Before he knew it Kabria's hands were on his head and he felt as if he had been dunked in a basin of ice.  He shivered and his body tingled, his wounds had not been too bad then.  “Thank you!”  He smiled warmly at her and kissed her cheek lightly.  "I hope.."  I hope that you do not think ill of me he wanted to say.  He was only doing what needed to be done.  Pushing the thought away, there would be time for that kind of talk later.  They still had a task before them.

“I doubt we will find the Innkeeper now, he must be long gone.  Have you any ideas about what to do next?  Do you think that wise woman will talk?”  That was all he could come up with for now.  Somehow they had to entice someone to tell them something that would led them to the cause of this bleakness.

Kabria’s eyebrows rose slightly higher at the sight of the dagger and she gave Perivar a grateful look. For all the book’s she’d read there were still times that society could shock her.  Leaving a few coppers on the table to cover the drinks she followed Perivar out into the night. It was habit, or perhaps fear that had Kabria trying to watch every direction at once and gripping her dagger. In a town as lost in Shadow as this who could say what someone would do?

Ducking into the dark interior of the stable Kabria embraced the source and a small whiteish globe of light illuminated the space. Her eyes watched with interest as the man was bound, that was one skill she’d never asked her warder to teach her, but intended to remedy as soon as possible. As the old man squirmed and spat vile words Kabria was torn between the urge to punch him between the eyes, and sooth out whatever evil gripped his heart. Watching Perivar ‘work’ brought up a familiar tingle that she had to fight down. She’d never have thought she’d had a stomach for torture, than again a few words and blows could hardly be considered as such.

"Call him off! I'll talk!" Calmly, more calmly than she felt, Kabria arched an eyebrow at the man and gave him a sickly grin. Before she’d even had a chance to speak her power enhanced hearing caught the first sounds of the rake in the door starting to give. Whirling to keep the gleeman and Perivar in sight she faced the door as splinters  flew. For the first time since the ‘bonds’ had been put on her Kabria regretted the oaths. If only she didn’t have such faith in her Warders ability!! A touch less faith and she would feel he was in danger and be able to help. Watching with her hands clenched to her sides she practically foamed at the mouth with the desire to weave. Finally when the opportunity presented itself she was too late. She’d expected to have to weave in defence of Perivar, not of the wrinkled old man tied to the chair.

She dashed to the gleeman’s side, but no one could heal the dead. Standing up with a look of disgust she saw the two men left in the doorway and felt the wounds peppering Perivar..finally…in danger.  Fire was strong in Kabria, strange for a woman and she wove two large balls of fire shooting them just past her loves’ head.  The men fell and she breathed a sigh of relief, she’d never had forgiven herself if attention to a gleeman had caused him death.

Rushing to his side she wove healing and laid it on him as gentle as a blanket on a babe, but still he shivered.

“I doubt we will find the Innkeeper now, he must be long gone.  Have you any ideas about what to do next?  Do you think that wise woman will talk?”

As a response Kabria wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him for all she was worth. Pulling away as quickly as she’d begun she smoothed her skirts and was back to business. “No, I suppose only a fool would attack an Aes Sedai and stay anywhere near. I do not think our Wise Woman knows anymore than she already told. Most village women who dispense herbs know little else.” Walking a slow circuit around the stable she stopped to exam each face and gasped when she saw the last. “This goes far beyond what I first thought. This man here….” She nudged one of the dead men with her toe. “He is the noble of this village and…yes..i thought so. There is a residue of the Power here. Faint, and almost faded. I very much fear we have walked into the den of the..Black Ajah..” Kabria shivered and shook her head when Perivar took a step closer.

“We’ve no time for that now. Go fetch our things and meet me back here. We are going to pay a visit to the Wise Woman after all.”

Perivar eyed Kabria as he always did whenever she ordered him to do something that left her alone or forced him to leave her side.  Aes Sedai serenity be damned, not even the bond wavered in the slightest.  There was no use protesting so he ran to their rooms to grab their belongings. Minutes later he was back with their saddlebags and hurriedly saddled their horses.

They rode the short distance in silence, Kabria led while he scanned their surroundings.  Daytime was bad enough but night left too many opportunities for an attacker to remain unseen until it was too late.  If it would have done any good he would have draped his fancloth cloak around Kabria though she would never allow it.  His body was on edge ready to spring.  Emotions trying to creep in were pushed into the flame.  In the void he was one with Nightdancer's motion, one with their surroundings.  Nothing moved but them.

They dismounted in front of the small house with herbs hanging from it.  Kabria knocked on the door while he took up a position next to the door so as not to frighten the woman.  The door opened slightly "You again child?  I thought I told I've not time for you!" the old woman's voice had an edge to it.  She tried to shut the door in Kabria's face though Perivar stepped in front of her stopping the door with his boot.  Easily he pushed the door and woman aside then grabbed the back of her shirt as she tried to flee.

Perivar guided her to a chair with a grip that was both gentle and commanding at the same time.  She sat when he half pushed her into the chair then stood aside looming over her as Kabria began to speak... 

Kabria longed to embrace Saidar, and perhaps should have with all the dangers the night held, but didn’t want to give into her fear. Killing men, even men who were darkfriends still did not sit well with her. It was one thing entirely to kill and Trolloc of Fade, but it was quite another to end a human life. She’d taken few of those for it still to turn her stomach to ice. Leading the way down the street she tried not to think about the charred remains and tried to focus on how she and Perivar alone were going to solve this problem.

They tied their horse’s reins to the front porch, careless of thieves. Both were trained warhorses and would fight if anyone but they tried to undo the loose knots. Walking up to the door she knocked sharply and waited; hopefully an old woman would be easier to handle than a gleeman with a knife. "You again child?  I thought I told I've not time for you! As the door started to push shut Kabria formed flows of air, but Perivar reached the door first. Shoving the old woman ahead of him they entered the house and bolted the door. As he sat her down Kabria went to pull all the curtains closed, it would do them no good to advertise their presence further than they already had.

“I refuse to believe that a Wise Woman such as yourself would not know all the secrets of a village like this. So, tell me and we can be on our way since I know your time is so precious.” Her voice was slightly condescending, a tone she used when chastising Novices, or Accepted who’d stepped too far out of line. A tone she’d even used when trying to put Perivar in his place. That thought caused her cheeks to flush, but hopefully the old woman would take it as anger for her silence. “You do not intend to make this easy on yourself? Well then…” She fixed Perivar with a level stare and spoke naturally…almost casually. “I guess this means you will need the figs and salt. You should find what you need in the kitchen.” The three oaths were often a bother, but they also left interesting room to maneuver. She was slowly learning the lesson that what you didn’t say often had more impact than what you did.

The poor old woman began to cry and Kabria crossed the room to stand at her side. ‘You could still agree to simply speak with me. It would be far less painful than anything Perivar can do.” Stuttering and crying she managed a few words before she fell on her knees and began repenting.

“It..it was a man..he made me do it….I..I will swear to walk in the Light again!! I swear it! I never wanted a life of serving the Dark One! But he made me…..then man he made me and some oaths……some oaths are binding….even if….Oh Please!! Please I want to walk in the Light! I will walk in the Light!!” Clutching Kabria’s hems the frail woman sobbed, all the anger and suspicion melted away in her fear. Glacning at Perivar she shook her head slightly. She had no idea what to make of this. A man, forcing people to swear to the Dark One? It hardly seemed possible. There was more to the story than she was telling. Pulling the woman back up into the chair she knelt down to look into her eyes

“What man Wise One? How did he force you to swear? How did he infect this village?” A thousand question boiled on her tongue, but the old woman’s sobs didn’t allow for fast answers.

“He came in the night, with a…..a gift…said it was payment for helping….to cure…a family friend….funny..he gave awa…..” The sound of glass breaking was the only warning they got before the window shattered and in the same breath an arrow pierced her heart. A few of Kabria’s hairs were caught by the shaft and she dove aside. By the time she was back on her knees there was nothing left in the woman to fan back to life.

“Mothers milk in a cup!! Perivar! Go! See if you can find anyone! Blood and ashes Perivar GO! Go before they are a mile gone! If you see no sign of them then head back!” Grimacing at the old woman Kabria’s fingers gently closed her eyes, and she began to recite a prayer.

There was not much for Perivar to do except to stand next to the old woman.  Hopefully the way he loomed over her would intimidate the woman.  Perivar half listened to the conversation while studying the door as if expecting an attack.  He played his part when Kabria used his presence to scare the woman.  He very nearly smiled at one point when she mentioned the figs and salt.  What in the Light was she talking about?

The woman finally caved, the Light be thanked!  Kabria was like a hunter stalking her prey knowing she was about to make the killing blow.  He nearly picked the woman up off the floor for she was tugging at the hem of Kabria's dress though Kabria shook her head for him not to intervene.  Light! The woman had sworn to serve the Dark One!  He could barely contain himself, he wanted the woman away from Kabria though Kabria reached down and lifted the woman guiding her to the chair. 

Kabria knelt down to look the woman in the eyes, her questions flowed from her mouth.  She had broken the woman, now it was time for the answer that would shed light on this troubled village.  The woman's words came in fits as she sobbed uncontrollably.  Perivar heard the glass shatter then heard the woman's words cutoff in mid sentence.  He did not need to see the arrow's shaft jutting from her chest, the soft thud of the arrow striking home was enough to know she was done for. 

Kabria had rolled deftly away from him and the woman's body.  With his sword and singuata drawn Perivar quickly crossed to shield her from the window while eyeing the door.  The vehemence in her voice shocked him, anger surged through the bond.  “Mothers milk in a cup!! Perivar! Go! See if you can find anyone!" Kabria had nearly died and she was angry! Not angry that she nearly died, angry because she had been so close to the answer to their problem.  Perivar did not have time to think on it longer for Kabria's words sunk in.  "Blood and ashes Perivar GO! Go before they are a mile gone! If you see no sign of them then head back!”

"Bloody Queen of Battles" Perivar muttered to himself as he glanced back at her, pain twisted his face at the thought of leaving her.  It was never easy, it did not get easier with frequency.  He was deathly afraid of losing her, his life would end the instant she died, he could not live without her.  "Take care my love, remember you are not invincible!"

As the words left his lips Perivar bolted outside through the door then rolled to Nightdancer's side.  In the void he felt two arrows pass him to impale themselves in the door.  He pulled his horsebow from the leather case affixed to his saddle and quickly strung it.  He rolled again then rose to sprint across the street to the alleyway between the adjacent buildings which lay in the direction from which the arrows came.

Perivar reached the edge of the alley.  He heard the retreating footsteps and caught a glimpse of one of the attackers hurrying toward the stables.  Perivar had an arrow knocked, he quickly drew back, aimed, and loosed in a matter of seconds.  The shrill cry cut through the night as the arrow took the man in the hamstring.  The sound of the other man retreating was still audible though Perivar was focused on the hamstrung man.  They only needed one to talk, one person who could give them the answer to the riddle.   

As Perivar neared the man three others came from out of the shadows to meet him.  Perivar dropped the bow then drew his sword and singuata as the man with the pitchfork lunged at him.  Perivar easily dodged it then stepped towards the man, The Falcon Stoops took the man's left hand at the wrist while following through to snap the haft.  The part of the haft with the pitchfork and the man's hand fell harmlessly to the ground.  He ducked and thrust his singuata back taking another man in the thigh as the man's scythe whirred over Perivar's head.  Perivar yanked the singuata free and spun, Parting the Silk disembowling the man who desperately tried to hold his innards in with trembling hands.

Perivar heard the horses hooves pounding as the other bowman speed away from the stable and away from Perivar's grasp.  He spun to face the third quickly feeding the anger that tried to form into the flame.  The bowman was going to get away.  The man before him was going to die but he was going to delay Perivar long enough for the other to get away.  As the attacker advanced Perivar was shocked to see that it was no man, the woman who held a Qaurterstaff sneered at him.  "Drop it!" Perivar shouted "You will not succeed where the others failed.  Drop the Quarterstaff and you will live."  The woman did not answer, instead she advanced within range swinging for his head.  Perivar ducked then spun kicking the woman's leg out from under her.  She hit the ground with a thud though recovered quickly, bounding to her feet as if the manuever was effortless.

They needed someone who could talk.  The handless man writhed on the ground but he was not sure how much then man knew.  He needed to take the woman alive if possible, perhaps she would know something that would be of use.  Perivar was not sure if he could kill her if he had to, not unless Kabria was in danger.  Suddenly the woman stood completely still with her eyes darting from side to side.  Perivar had felt her coming closer though now he saw Kabria emerging from the alleyway as if she had no care in the world.  Relief surged through him.  Kabria was well and he had not had to harm the woman.

The handless man still writhed on the ground trying to stem the flow of blood from the stump of his left arm. Perrivar ran over to the hamstrung bowman and was shocked to find his body still.  The man was lying on his belly with his head turned to the side.  The body was lifeless and his eyes were glazed over.  "Poison!" Perivar shouted then returned to Kabria.  "He took poison, I've heard of darkfriends doing so.  A dead man cannot betray his master.  A master that is powerful enough to make his subjects believe that death is better than the punishment they would receive."  Perivar shook his head in frustration and disgust.  "The other bowman got away.  I can track him but it may take days to catch him."  It would be too much to hope that the handless man or woman bound by the power would know anything of import.