DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Weakness and Strength {Attn: Rurak and Gang}

TaiDashan

Shaylor ran as fast as her feet would carry her, until she made it to the battlefield where dead bodies were littered.  Those that were still alive were moving along, helping eachother off the field, and she looked to see where Rurak was.  As the highest rank on the field, she had to find him first to make sure it was safe that she continue.  She heard a scream come from a woman and Shaylor decided to head in that direction.  What she saw was horrifying.

Rurak was laying on his back, a small scout over top of him, looking as if to help but lost.  His arms and hands were burned, and she could smell the burning flesh.  Rushing to him, she dropped to her knees beside him and ripped open her bag, digging for anything that would help.  The scout was mumbling, but Shaylor ignored her, considering what to do.  This was so bad, she needed help.  Both hands had to be cleansed from all infection and then salved and wrapped up.  But any wrong move would destroy his hands forever.

"I have some small ability with healing," began a man in a black coat.  This must have been who they were meeting.... "YOU HAD BETTER BACK UP RIGHT NOW! I don't know what happened here or who is in charge, but I can tell you that right now, this is MY BATTLEFIELD and I am the one taking care of people.  I don't care if the Creator himself gave you the ability to raise the dead! GET AWAY FROM HIM NOW!

I don't know WHO thought this was a great idea, but that IDIOT just killed half of the soldiers of the Band of the Red Hand, and if you don't get him away from me right now, I will do the deed myself, starting at his feet and working up to the top of his head.  And if YOU do not BACK AWAY from me and my patients, then I will do the same to you next.  Wanna be useful?  Check bodies for who is dead or alive.  OR, you can whipe the sweat off my brow as I actually do something to SAVE A LIFE!

The man looked at her in shock while he stumbled backwards, and as he turned to leave, she went back to Rurak, seeing the shocked faces looking at her, lost and confused.  Turning to the scout that had screamed, she yelled, "Get my horse, now!  We have to get him back to the Citadel."  The girl looked like she would protest but Shaylor cut her off, turning her shoulders and pushing her towards the back of the field.

Going back to her knees, she saw that he was in pain and grabbed a wooden rod from inside her bag.  Opening his mouth, she set it in between his teeth so that he could naw on that.  "Bite, Rurak.  I promise, it helps," she said, soothing his hair back as she looked over the wounds. "Where is that light blasted child..." Shaylor muttered under her breath.

"Ok, hold down his shoulders and legs," she said to the nearest two soldiers, who jumped to do as she said.  Taking his right arm just above the burned skin, she dropped a few beats of water onto his forearm, testing to see his pain.  It was bad; he looked about to cry.  She needed herbs and medics and something to knock him out fast, if the pain didn't do it first.

Shaylor

• 4 weeks later...

Rurak lay on the ground in pain. Sounds buzzed all around him, voices from far away it seemed, but his mind was a self contained world painted with bright colors flashing and red, lots of red. The pain was beyond anything he had ever experienced. More than the near death flogging he had taken for desertion from the band the first time he had left. He barely had enough strength to stay conscious let alone worry about what was going on around him. The voices around him sounded panicked...and one of them was a woman's. Light, she shouldn't be seeing this. Suddenly a phrase punched through the haze of pain. "I have some small ability with healing." Rurak's eyes widened in panic. That wasn't the voice of any of his men, but it was a man's voice. Healing...the only other men around that he knew of were the asha'man. Rurak struggled to say something, but was forced down by a female medic. His eyes struggled to focus and he realized it was Shaylor. Light what a way to practice your first combat medicine. he struggled to speak but before he could get anything out she pushed a leather wrapped stick into his mouth. He lacked the strength to struggle, and as she dropped water onto his arm, his back involuntarily arched against the pain. His teeth clamped down on the stick like a vice grip. He screamed and tears of pain brimmed on the point of leaking out. The medics relaxed as the pain subsided and he took the opportunity to gather what strength he had to tear his good arm free from one of the soldiers and grab shaylor by her cloak and pull her close.

He was being a little rough, but it was important. He spat out the stick and quickly spoke before anyone could react. "Don't let him...touch me....if I...have to die for it...Don't let him...use the power on me! Gaaahh!" Rurak bellowed in pain and released his grip...rolling back to the ground. His burned arm had rubbed against the cloth of the shirt of the soldier holding him down and the pain was debilitating. The soldiers took the opportuntiy to bring him back under control and put the stick back in his mouth. he tasted blood though. had he bit open his tongue? he didn't have the time to find out, whatever shaylor was doing to his arm hurt worse than anything the dark one ever could have done...