DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book to TV miniseries? Ehhhhhh

Ashaman Kovan

So i'm vaguely aware that about 99.9% of people on this site can't stand Terry Goodkind and The Sword of Truth series but I happen to be a fan. I do think WoT is much, much better but TSoT series still has its appeal. But I just got done watching the premiere of the miniseries and it actually wasn't too bad. Yeah they changed some things that they didn't really have time to work in, but unless you've read the books you won't miss anything, and if you have read the books then you're still not really missing anything. So it kind of gives a little hope that they might still go this route with WoT. Granted WoT is a bit more complex with a couple more characters that play pivotal roles in the books but the concept of book to TV miniseries is still the same and even if you're not neccasarily a fan of the whole idea, you can't deny that it would be at least moderately interesting to see if given flesh. Oh also, i'm not really sure if this topic belongs here but uhhh...I guess if it doesn't then don't read it, and if anyone is offended then you are way oversensitive ;)

Haha. Apparently my thread was extremely unwelcome in the other section. I think Luckers moved it though...He seems like a pretty smart dude, not that anyone had looked at it anyways, yet lol.

lol, it wasn't unwelcome, it just belonged better here. I would have commented by i was pretty tired and that was my last deed before hitting the sack lol.

On SoT... honestly i think it works better on tv than in the books. Of course a lot of that is the hamfisted writing style--and i still don't see how they will work in the long psuedo-philosophical diatribes that appear in the later books, but as a fun hack and slash type show it holds together. And having the guy they having playing Richard wandering around without his shirt for long periods of time will probably help.

But, more to the point of the thread, i don't know if I'd like WoT in that format--part of the brilliance of WoT is its complexity, and I'm not sure how well that would play out on screen. Alot of chapters involve detailed analysis of the lift of an eyebrow, and why the character thinks it significant, and how that relates to their history--and that would mostly be lost on tv, i think.

It could be done, mind you--but it would need a very subtle touch. Certainly not Sam Raimi--much as i love his stuff, its not subtle.

When I first began to read WoT (that would have been either 1999 or 2000), I started thinking of how it coule best be portrayed on screen. A movie seemed inadequate (the first 3 books alone would need more than a Titanic-length production) a mini-series would be insufficient to portray all the important events and characters in WOT so my idea was... *deep breath*... a normal television series. Granted, it won't have the grandeur of a movie or a mini-series but the books give enough of a plot for the series to last for years, which would guarantee us hours upon hours of WoT, rather than the 5 or 6 hours of a mini series.

Archived