DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What is "A remnant of a remnant"?

GrandpaG

This is purely coincidental, but, in my current re-read I just finished hearing Rand tell the "so-called Aiel" about their being descended from the Daishan Aiel.

The prophecy said that his coming would cause the remnant of a remnant condition, right?  When he makes the declaration, he has come.  Why does there have to be killing done to have a remnant?  Maybe the remnant of a remnant is any "so-called Aiel" surviving after they have learned the truth of their bloodlines?  True, the numbers would be huge for a "remnant".  I still don't have this clear in my mind.  (No, not just because I'm over 50!)

This is purely coincidental, but, in my current re-read I just finished hearing Rand tell the "so-called Aiel" about their being descended from the Daishan Aiel.

The prophecy said that his coming would cause the remnant of a remnant condition, right?  When he makes the declaration, he has come.  Why does there have to be killing done to have a remnant?  Maybe the remnant of a remnant is any "so-called Aiel" surviving after they have learned the truth of their bloodlines?  True, the numbers would be huge for a "remnant".  I still don't have this clear in my mind.  (No, not just because I'm over 50!)

I actually like this theory better than the one that all the Aiel will be killed.  A combination of the two is also viable.  Though everyone seems to have blood on their minds.  :(

Could very well be the tinkers who retake the sword...

I think a re-read of the book of Isaihah might help gain insight into where RJ was coming from.

Haven't been on this board in about a year.  It kind of feels weird referring to RJ in the past tense :(

If you jump back a page or two i made a detailed post about that idea.

Just read through it again.

Still don't fully comprehend it all.

I'm not really old or stupid.

I just sort things differently in my own mind in my own way.

It's possible that I'm agreeing with you and don't know it.

Not that there really is a definitively right answer.

Depends on who is doing the interpretation.

I definitely respect and appreciate your opinion and comments.

Just can't get the old processor to sort the data.

Here...maybe if we give it a little thump.

* whaps himself up side the forehead with a two by four *

Nope.

Oh, well.

Had some good conversations, anyway.  :)

I'm currently on a re-read and have been thinking about posting a topic about Rand's dying, blood on Shayol Ghul etc... and I came across the chapter where Rand is discussing with the Clan Chiefs in Rhuidean.

Fires of Heaven, Chapter 2: Rhuidean

Anyway, he's thinking about the Bleakness...

Aiel meant "dedicated" in the Old Tongue, and it had been to peace that they were dedicated. Those who called themselves Aiel today were the descendants of those who had broken a pledge of untold generations. Only one remnant of that belief remained: an Aiel would die before taking up a sword.

For me a "the remnant of a remnant" are the blacksmiths, children, women (who aren't warriors), Gai'shan...

With all the talk of "blood" being people in the Aiel chapters at the end of Shadow Rising and in Fires of Heaven, I believe that the Aiel warriors will be mostly wiped out in the Last Battle.

In the same chapter as above, Han, one of the Aiel clan chiefs says to Rand (I removed most the text that isn't speech):

"The prophesy said you will break us," ... "and you have made a good beginning. But we will follow you. Till shade is gone," he recited, "till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath, to spit in Sightblinder's eye on the Last Day."

Rand gives the formal response "By my honor and the Light, my life will be a dagger for Sightblinder's heart."

"Until the Last Day," the Aiel finished, "to Shayol Ghul itself"

All that (especiall the Last Day part) lead me to believe that most of the warriors will be killed.

Anyway, I just wanted to add some quotes from the book that I thought were relevant.

Consider the religious implications woven throughout the WOT story.  Perhaps by "saved", it's meant that "the remnant of a remnant" are brought back to the Way of the Leaf?  If you think about it through this logic, it could mean that the voluntary Gaishan, those who refuse to put off the white after their year and a day, are "saved".  Further, this may have nothing whatsoever to do with who lives and who dies, merely whomever is brought back to the Way. 

What d'ya think?

i think he was speaking in the spiritual sense--the way a christian might refer to a convert as being 'saved'.

Of course the christian would be speaking of their immortal soul, im not sure how reconverting someone to the Way of the Leaf could be considered saving them.

Archived