DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A measure of suspicion (Attn: Eqwina & Raeyn)

The halls were wider than the Magistrate's courts of law, in Mayene and she supposed there were always bigger places than the Magistrate's but, she didn't think she would see them. Satin would hope to become used the the Tower's vastness in good time. Finding her way through the halls and to her room took her a few days but, between classes she made sure to wander a little further every day and to make herself find her way back to her room.

This day, she quizzed a few wide eyed novices who had been here for some time, to figure out the floor plan... if one could say that in any measure. Not everyone had been everywhere. It was know that some places were just plainly, off limits to Novices and Accepted. So much as she could, she made mental notes of what was said.

Satin like to be sure of herself; it was her security. She knew the hall that she faced was the Novice quarters and that taking a right in the next annex she would be somewhere she had never been. So, she ventured to the cross halls and turned left.

She had gone about a 100 feet when she could see another hall section. The closer she got, she could begin to hear hushed voices. She didn't want to eves drop, so turned to leave. Two steps into her retreat and there came a light grip on her shoulder. It startled her but she kept her composure.

Satin sur Amoura

adventurer

The curtains were drawn tight over the windows and Eqwina sat in the dark with only a small bluish light above her palm for illumination. Using her free hand she rifled through the papers on the desk. There were reports on the state of repairs of some house in Caemlyn, and a letter from family, but nothing of what she searched for. Letting go of Saidar Eqwina returned to the sitting room to find the young Aes Sedai just where she’d left her. Sitting in front of the fire, humming quietly to herself. It was a nasty little weave she’d discovered, but it had its uses to be sure. “Thank you for the wonderful talk, I will see you again soon” Embracing Saidar she wove her weave again and the glazed look in the Sister’s eyes seemed to disappear. Gathering her skirts in her hands she glided out of the room and into the main halls of the Tower. She had another stop to make while she was out, and she dearly hoped it would go better than her first.

Accepting each gracious bow and curtsey with a nod of her head Eqwina made slow going through the halls. Which was all for the well, a Sitter could not be seen to hurry, or an Ajah Head, though only her fellow Yellow’s knew of that. Spotting one of her fellow Sitters up ahead she did pick up her pace just a bit so she wouldn’t have to shout. The woman was engaged in a conversation with a Novice so Eqwina kept a few paces back until they were done.

“It’s good to see you again Raeyn” she said loud enough for her voice to carry along the corridor. There was no love lost between the Yellow’s in the Brown’s and even less than between her and her Brown Ajah counter part. The truth was she couldn’t stand the other woman, but what could not be changed had to be endured. She had been meaning to corner the woman for sometime about how they’d stood together in the Hall. It had been a shock but any support was welcome even coming from her. Grabbing the taller woman by the arm she pulled her a little ways to the side of the hall, making room for others to get by and began throwing questions at her almost as fast as she could speak. They kept their voices down out of necessity, but this was not volatile enough information for them to need to be private or for them to need a ward.

A flash of white caught Eqwina’s eyes and she made a quick excuse to Raeyn and rushed a head to grab the taller child by the shoulder. A small smile parted her lips as she flashed back to a time when she would have been reduced to stammering or even tears at the thought of a child standing taller than her. Turning the girl around to face her Eqwina tried to make her face appear open and welcoming. This would be handled delicately…for now.

“Oh do stand up child.” She said to the curtsying girl who was bent double with her face to the floor. “You’ll get stuck like that I would not want to have to waste healing on you.” Waiting until the girl obliged Eqwina crossed her hands one over the other and was the perfect image of patience. “What’s your name Child? And are you off to class or on an important errand?”

Satin was pulled around in a whirl so quickly that she felt a sense of imbalance for just a mere second or two.

The woman who had pulled her to attention had that perfect Aes Sedai air about her, and the curtsying came naturally. Even though this was her first week in the Tower, Satin had the curtsy down pat.

Immediately, her focus drew her to look into the woman's dazzling green eyes to realize, that she towered over her. Satin had never been one to point out the obvious and wouldn't do it even now. She was quite certain, this woman was much taller than her height suggested.

Standing up from her curtsy as instructed by the woman, she tried not to stare with the intensity she was trying to break. The fringed Yellow shawl was indicitive of the Aes Sedai, to present Ajah. She would try hard to one day, have one herself.

"I beg pardon, Aes Sedai. I hope I did not offend you? I wanted to avoid hearing your private conversation." She inclined her head briefly. "My name is Satin sur Amoura, Aes Sedai." she realized then she would only learn her name when she was Aes Sedai, ready.

"I am done with my lesson for today, and I am exploring the Tower to know my way better and to be as punctual as I can. I am not due for chores for an hour, yet."

Satin began her evasive study of the woman, to learn of quirks and personality. She would catalog it for later reference, as usual.

Satin sur Amoura

Steady as she goes..

She had not doubted the description she’d been given but the child’s name was confirmation. “Since you are free then you would not object to doing a few small errands for me then?” Her voice may have made it sound a question, but even a first day Novice knew that you didn’t refuse the request of Sister and a Sitter least of all.

A single dark eyebrow arched as she waited on her answer, but always the smile stayed on her face. Dealing with younger women was always a delicate balance of power and compassion and with this one she had special reason to take care.

“I am glad you are not apposed.” On the way through the Tower and back to her rooms Eqwina made idle conversation, trying to put the girl at ease. “So, have you been in the Tower long Satin? Its been more years than I care to share, but I remember how wide eyed I was when I arrived. I’d never been in anything larger than a village and to me the Tower was the grandest palace in the world.”

It seemed strange to remember back to days of such innocence, she could barely remember being that girl who had fainted at ever turn and cried at the drop of a hat. “How did you come to Tar Valon? On your own or did you travel with a group? Its bad times for a young girl to travel alone.” The barrage of questions and niceties continued all the way to her quarters.

As to be expected, Satin was completely available to any Aes Sedai at her bidding to do any tasks or errand. Willingly, Satin traveled down the halls with the talkative woman, listening with interest to what she had to say.

The questions fired off quickly and she did her best to answer them as fast as they came, "No, no... I am not opposed, Aes Sedai. What errands did you need me to perform?" The Aes Sedai's face seemed be that of a perfect... well, maybe a 25 year old? It was always hard to tell with them. She supposed that she too, would be ageless in her days ahead.

The quirk of the woman's eyebrow told Satin of an undercurrent to the woman's mask. No matter what the current was, Satin had come to grips that to talk to an Aes Sedai was to avoid transgressions with her. They all had masks. Satin was sure of one thing if any, you never knew what they really wanted or thought.

Too bad she couldn't ask her all the things she wanted... her list was long.

The walk to her quarters and still she had no clue of what she was to do. Yet, the questions still kept coming. “So, have you been in the Tower long Satin? Its been more years than I care to share, but I remember how wide eyed I was when I arrived. I’d never been in anything larger than a village and to me the Tower was the grandest palace in the world.”

"I've been in the tower for less than two weeks, Aes Sedai. And yes, it is the grandest of Palaces. I too have only seen smaller estates compared to this. One day I may look back on my life here, with the same fondness."

She was wise for her years in many ways, but not of the Tower. She was a fast study and would hope to leap milestones in her rise to the Shawl. But now was the time to perfect her regard to someone who was the honor of already earning that Shawl.

Satin wanted to know who this woman was. During their walk she began to wonder... Not all Aes Sedai had the time or the patience to talk with a Novice unless it was a class experience. Half listening she barely heard her last comment.

"Sorry Aes Sedai, I was thinking back to my Saidar Class today. Your question about my trip here made me think of it. I came with two Aes Sedai. One was a Blue sister and the other a Brown. They were apparently.... invited to my Father's house to retrieve me as requested by my Mother." Satin's brow took a dip. The more she talked about her mother the more she wanted to forget her.

She silently reprimanded herself as she lost control over her last few words, as her teeth began to clench. She had hoped the Aes Sedai didn't notice it and quickly changed the subject.

"Aes Sedai, if may I ask..." She turned towards the woman, "What name do you go by?"

Eqwina had never been good with Novices..they always seemed to find her too strict or their interaction was awkward. That is why she avoided teaching classes or mentoring, unless she believed that the girl would be of her persuasion. That very fact was why she’d taken on young Satin herself.

"Sorry Aes Sedai, I was thinking back to my Saidar Class today. Your question about my trip here made me think of it. I came with two Aes Sedai. One was a Blue sister and the other a Brown. They were apparently.... invited to my Father's house to retrieve me as requested by my Mother."

For a moment Eqwina’s eyes glittered, before resuming their mask of utter calm. The girl had handed her the perfect opening without knowing what she said. “Saidar is truly a wonder as you first start to learn, but I am sure I do not need to tell you that anymore than I need to tell you how dangerous its seduction can be. But you know…There are other things to learn in the White Tower besides Saidar? Many other interesting and fascinating things. It may be that I can help you explore some of those points.”

The girl had tensed, so Eqwina fell silent and didn’t say anymore, letting the child walk a bit in what she hoped was a comfortable silence. "Aes Sedai, if may I ask..." She turned towards the woman, "What name do you go by?"

“You may called me Eqwina Sedai, but my full name is Eqwina al’Caupthn.” It was rare that she used her sirname, but over the years she’d found sharing more that what was asked for was a good way to build a relationship. “You say that Aes Sedai came to retrieve you? That leads me to believe that you are a special child indeed, to have Sister’s so concerned with your arrival? “ Her eyes stared intently ahead but she searched for any signs of emotion from the young woman. Anything she could use. Satin only nodded so Eqwina pressed on. “Do you know much about the different Ajah’s and there purposes?”

Spending time with an Aes Sedai is usually a rare moment but to spend this much time with an Aes Sedai was not heard of unless you were getting a list of chores. Satin was certain that before this chat was over, she would be doing just that.

She seemed a pleasant woman but who really could know an Aes Sedai? It is said that even the girls they grew know and share everything with, are no more. That bond is replace by their Sister of their Ajah, if they are lucky. This last week had revealed a lot of rumor, fact and fiction.

Eqwina Sedai began her next set of investigative questions. Satin recognized the intentions, but not the motive.“You say that Aes Sedai came to retrieve you? That leads me to believe that you are a special child indeed, to have Sister’s so concerned with your arrival? “

Satin could only tell her the truth of it. "The two Aes Sedai were familiar. Throughout the years my mother entertained many, though some of them disguised themselves and would remove their gold ring," Satin glanced at Eqwina's hand momentarily as if to confirm it on her. "Many were not very nice to me. Some were very interested. A few even seemed to prompt me to use the One Power a time or two. I've no idea why... it was forbidden in my Father's House, to use it. My Mother seemed to relish in the tampering of it. My mother seemed to trade me off to them for favors. I was not interested in why, my presence there was a requirement. It brought me no joy."

A moments pause and Eqwina asked, “Do you know much about the different Ajah’s and there purposes?”

Satin thought on it for a moment... "Only by coming here did I realize there was a difference. The women," Satin cleared her throat, "Pardon Aes Sedai, I meant the Aes Sedai that visited us always seem to have the same purpose. However, thought that is odd now that I think back to it..."

As they passed through the halls for a time and the tapestries seemed to change in both color and mood. This hallway was unfamiliar to her as she looked ahead, maintaining what appeared to be a practiced, "Aes Sedai" calm.

"It is unlike me to tell the story of my life, Aes Sedai. I do not do well with it and I am not that social. I keep to myself and keep my thoughts to myself, most times. But anything you would ask of me, I am prepared." Little did Satin know, what she was really saying.