DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"How is it hanging, as they say?" (ATTENTION SYLOS)

Dunbar

Bert was sitting on a bench in the courtyard, looking at children and children to be alike. They all seemed so awfully busy, what with their hasty pacing and sullen expressions. It was as if everyone was going somewhere important and had forgotten to invite Bert. Well, let them have their stressful days filled with haste and worry, Bert'd lie here and contemplate the greater things in life, like when he'd get his next meal, for he was rather hungry. He felt like there was something he'd forgotten. Had he been assigned any tasks he might've forgotten? Quite possibly. Had he been given extra lessons to complete from instructors? It might be. Was he going to do them? Well, maybe. But not right now. He was lying so comofortably.

"zzZzzZzzZWHA!" Bert jolted upright. Rubbing his eyes, he wondered what'd happened. Judging by the sun's position in the sky, he'd been out at least two hours. Mothersmilk in a-, he'd missed lunch! Cursing under his breath, he got up to start for the canteen, when he happened to walk into Sylos and stumbled to a clumsy fall. "Cheerio old chap!"

OOC: Nyn said you needed to do an rp with another child, so here we go? If you don't want to, do drop me a hint and I shall consider this never to have happened ^^

Making his way back from the mess, where he had been attempting in vain to arrange for food to be sent to the Head Clerk- along with a very amusing note he had written in some of his rare free time- Sylos passed by the courtyard, wondering what kind of authority he would need to be able to succeed. He suspected that it wouldn't be nearly as fun if he had to be an officer to pull pranks on the man.

Walking into the courtyard, he staggered slightly as another of the Children stumbled into him. He recognized Bert from his herb classes- and also because he had passed him napping less than an hour ago. As the man fell, Sylos grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and hauled him back to his feet. He looked him over briefly to make sure he hadn't managed to injure himself, and managed to fight the temptation to yell at him for being so unobservant.

"Given your elegant grace and wondrous dexterity, I take it your nap ended not long ago?" He asked, halfway between amused and exasperated.

OOC: Nah, it's fine by me. You seem to be highly entertaining so far.  :)

"Given your elegant grace and wondrous dexterity, I take it your nap ended not long ago?" What was this!? A trace of sarcasm, perhaps? Bert wasn't sure, but decided to stay on guard. "Oh, I warn't sleepin', if that's what you was implyin' there, I was merely... Oh, observin', as they say! Did you, for example, know that that child over there," Bert pointed at the most inconspicuous child in sight; "has, in fact, attempted to sway several of the female cadettes into his quarters, just this very hour!?" Sylos gave him a disbelieving look. "You needn't believe me, but heed my warning when I say he's not as good as he looks!" The child was now eating an apple. "Oh, just look at him, eating his apples. But we know, don't we, what he truly wants!? The fiend!" Bert gave the patsy child a nasty look, to which he replied with confusion and a hint of fear. "Look at him now, walking away! He knows I know, is what!"

Pleased with his efforts, Bert redirected his energies towards Sylos. "So, old chap, if you don't mind me calling you such a thing, what busines brings you to this yard at this very hour? Dare I propose you walk with me?"

"So, old chap, if you don't mind me calling you such a thing, what busines brings you to this yard at this very hour? Dare I propose you walk with me?" Bert asked. Sylos turned his head away from the child first inconspicously munching on his apple, then attempting to flee from Bert's accusing stare. He had met the child earlier, and knew him to be terrified of the female cadets and the potential for sin their existance created. However, he was a tactful man at times, and he decided this would be one of them. He left the point alone and proceeded to answer the question.

"I was attempting to have food sent to the Head Clerk, who has been avoiding the mess for fear that the crowds there will prevent him from eating enough to maintain his lean and impressive frame. I failed, and so I was heading back to my rooms. However, if you have another destination in mind, I will be more than happy to accompany you." Having said this, Sylos waited for Bert's decision, wondering if prodding him about the nap he had taken would produce still more amusing responses.

OOC: It's not a big deal, but I'm Sylos, not Essaul. *grins* Although if you really insist, I coud check with Essaul's rp'er and see if they'd like to switch names.

Bert's stomach rumbled. "Ah yes, my faithful companion here," Bert patted his tummy, "seems to have picked up your mention of certain edibles! Y'see, whilst I was lying here, analyzing and solving complex equations in my head, time just flew by and it turns out I missed lunch! Now, a man of my stature," Bert attempted to straighten his back, but his back wouldn't hear any of it. "my... stature... Needs nutrition aplenty to keep up this wonderful shape!" Pear shaped is a shape, isn't it? Bert silently pointed out. "But, seeing as we both are in need of food for some reason or another, I propose we find some."

Bert thought for a moment. The canteen was closed. That would imply there were no people there. And he did seem to remember a certain window being left slightly open, as to air out the fumes of a hard day's cooking. At that moment he reached his conclusion. "Now, what do you know about breaking and entering?"

OOC: Oh shit >.< I'M SORRY! His name popped up, as I was teamed up with him in the herb class : p BAH *smacks self*

• 2 weeks later...

"Now, what do you know about breaking and entering?" Sylos stared at Bert for a moment, stunned by the question. He knew that there were varying opinions of the law, even within the Children, but he still hadn't expected such a blunt question. While he suspected it wasn't going to be anything incredibly illegal, or even anything the Children would necessarily frown on, it was still a curious event.

Shaking his head in what nearly amounted to awe, he replied. "I know enough to get into and out of a place quietly, but I'm not much good with locks. Why do you ask, exactly?"

• 2 weeks later...

*"I know enough to get into and out of a place quietly, but I'm not much good with locks. Why do you ask, exactly?" Bert's inner mischievous child grinned from ear to ear. "Oh, no matter, no matter, why don't we walk together?" he said, as he slyly set the course for the mess hall. "No, I was merely checking up on the old breaking and entering skills, you never know when it'll come in handy, eh? I pretty much ask everyone I see!" To prove his point, Bert asked a more... senior... child with a different persuasion in genders, who deemed it fit to slap him for it. "Myes, she's good" Bert muttered, rubbing his cheek. After a further wandering down the path, Sylos turned his head slightly ajar and uttered: "I'm sorry, but isn't this the way to the canteen?" Ah, bert thought, the boy catches on. "Oh, is it? I would never have known, I'm merely walking where.. Oh, where the wind takes me, yes? But, now that we're nearly there, I feel... I feel an urge. You see, as I might or might not have made clear, there is a hunger in me, for food you see, which needs to be replenished, and now that we're soon to happen upon a house of foodstuffs, I see no reason why we shouldn't, myes, get our slice of the proverbial cake!" Bert cleared his throat slightly. "I happen to know, completely by coincidence of course, of a window which is often left slightly open, so as to air the place out, if you follow my lead?"

• 3 weeks later...

Sylos looked down his nose towards Bert for a long, long time before he answered, though he continued to walk alongside the man. "Are you suggesting we should avail ourselves of certain foodstuffs left lying on this window to cool? Because if so, I should warn you- I have quite a prodigous reputation for bad luck in such ventures." he said with a faint smile.

"My brothers and I once attempted to... borrow... a full set of pies from a woman who lived next door to us. Each of my four brothers took their's and escaped. I was walking towards the window, working up the courage to get mine, and all at once a gust of wind blew the pie out of the window and into my arms, just as the woman came out the door of her house. I managed to escape with the pie, and my brother's were quite impressed- but nonetheless I was discovered." He related the tale with a slight twist to his mouth, as if remembering consequences that he was choosing not to share.

"Just fair warning."

• 1 year later...