DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Move, move, move! [Alyria]

Alyria AlVire

DM Member

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:19 pm Post subject: Move, move, move! [Alyria]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raisa wasn't particularily fond of training Accepted, but an assignment was an assignment and, frankly, she'd trained worse than Accepted. It wasn't that the girl was female that annoyed her, but rather that she was an Accepted of the White Tower. Raisa hadn't ever been sure how she was supposed to treat these girls, though had eventually decided to treat them almost exactly as she would treat her mentees - with maybe a little more respect. She didn't want to get in trouble for being rude to an Accepted, especially since they were almost Aes Sedai. She'd been around Aes Sedai long enough to know that only an idiot would disrepsect them, and she knew that she wasn't an idiot, most of the time.

Sometimes, she couldn't help but wonder.

Sighing to herself, Raisa flipped her knife out of it's sheath and sat down beneath one of the large trees near the edge of the Grove, where she'd told the Accepted to meet her in the note she'd sent up to the Tower. She was early, since she didn't want her mentees to ever arrive before she did, because that looked bad. Unfortunately, being early had the tendency to lead to boredom, and so she had to content herself with sharpening or polishing her weapons. That was boring, but she was used to being bored. Sighing to herself, she began to scrub at the blade vigrously with her cloth, keeping an eye on the gate and making sure that she didn't do something as stupid as cut herself. That would have just been embarrassing. She hoped that Alyria would be smart enough not to wear a skirt, because this morning was going to be full of running, weights, and other hard physical excersies. She hated teaching it, but basic fitness was important. Sighing, she turned her attention to her knife until she heard someone approach...

-Raisa

Cruddy Poster, sorry!

Alyria

DM Member

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:15 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC - it was not a cruddy post...I know how things get sometimes. Let me know if I can help inspire you at all! I don't know anything about Raisa, so I am going to stop rather than try to RP you into my post. If you have anything wrong with it, let me know and I will edit it!

IC -

Alyria's day had done nothing but get odder as it went on. She was in a decent mood this morning, but then was barged in on by a Novice. She was nice enough, but she was a little weird, odd even. She returned from her washing and pulled a narrow box out of her amoire. She had contracted for this outfit upon her raising as an Accepted. She knew she would be training with a weapon at some point and was glad she had known a dress would never work for it. She reread the note that had arrived this morning, stating that she was to meet her new mentor, Raisa, in the yard by the Ogier grove, this afternoon.

Opening the box, she pulled out a pair of breeches, made in a green so dark they almost looked black. She gave a wry smile as she pulled them on, knowing they were very form fitting and showed off every curve she had. They had a lighter green thread, creating embroidered ivy leaves, along the outside of the leg, creeping all the way up to her hips. She pulled out the pale green laced shirt that went along with the outfit, making sure to tie up the laces firmly and securely. She pulled on her soft leather boots, pulled her flowing red hair into a tight braid, and headed off to the yard she was not allowed into as a novice.

She smiled at herself as she thought of the last time she had been in the yard, the wonderful man she had met, and how much trouble she had gotten into. Feeling her face flush a little in embarassment, she looked around to see if anyone had noticed. She almost wished she would see him out here, catch a glimpse of him at least.

It when then that she noticed the yard was mostly empty. She did see someone, sitting down under a sprawling oak tree. It appeared to be a woman, rubbing something that looked a bit like a knife, vigorously on a cloth. She smoothed her breeches and approached the woman, clearing her throat as she arrived as not to startle her.

"Excuse me Ma'am, can you tell me where I would find a woman named Raisa?" Careful not to seem to meek or like a novice, she put on her best royal manner, pretending she was in the presence of her mother, the First of Mayene. She stood there straight as a board, not fidgeting in the least as the woman rose to her feet and began to speak.

Alyria Al' Vire

Mentee to Tiassale Morobin

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It is the chain I get to use to beat you with!"

Lwena

DM Member

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:14 pm Post subject:

ooc: You're post's fine - I completely forgot to give you a physical. Raisa' 5'10'', with dark curly hair and green eyes. She's lean and wiry, and doesn't have any visible scars (like, any she does have are hidden under her clothing). She's about 28 years old, and obviously in very good shape, being a Warder and all. If Alyria has spent a great deal of time around the Green Quarters, she might have seen her in passing as she's Warder to Jaydena Sedai, and a bit over-protective since she lost her first Aes Sedai in Namandar... Conviniently forgetting about timeline *sigh*

ic:

Raisa sheathed her knife as she stood, surveying the Accepted almost absently, glad that the girl had at least not chosen to wear a skirt. Her clothing was - in Raisa's opinion - rather fancy for training in the Yard, but that said, Raisa wasn't a fan of fancy clothing in general. She'd grown up on the streets, almost literally, and couldn't understand how people could waste so much money on fancy clothing. There were exceptions to this lack of understanding - Aes Sedai, for example. Accepted, however, weren't Aes Sedai yet, and to Raisa's eyes anything with embroidery on it was to expensive. The clothing would do, though, and almost made Raisa feel like a gawky child; she was dressed in her typical dark clothing, plain and servicable. Her shirt and breeches were both relatively loose, and she didn't really have much by way of 'feminine curves', so from shoulder down it was fairly difficult to tell that she was really even female. If she dressed properly it was obvious, but frankly, Raisa didn't care. When men decided to treat her like a woman things just got complicated and frustrating, and she was done with dealing with men like that, especially in a Yard full of them.

Light, soliders were stupid sometimes.

"You're looking at her," She said a little wryly, her eyes sparkling a bit in amusement. Despite her serious exterior, she'd loosened up a bit since being bonded by Jaydena, and had been slowly reverting to the Raisa who had arrived at the yards, as opposed to the withdrawn, silent, and stern Raisa who she'd become after Namandar. Really, the only thing that hadn't changed about her during those difficult months was her temper, which was still easily provoked. Well, that and her impatience; Raisa was definitely not a patient woman. She didn't accept repeat mistakes from those she trained, and was even harder on herself. Shaking her head mentally, she turned slightly and tucked the cloth in her pocket, gesturing with her other hand for Alyria to follow.

"I've been told that you know a little about weapons; we'll be starting off today with some basic fitness exercises." Giving the girl a glance, she added, "Do you have an idea as to which weapon you'd like to be trained in?" That was always an important thing to know. Instead of heading toward the wall, which was where Raisa did her fitness training, she was actually heading towards the armory for a quick stop. There they could pick out a weapon, and make sure that she knew how to at least care for the weapon, before learning how to use it. After that, they'd head to the wall for the real lesson.

Raisa

Alyria

DM Member

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:22 pm Post subject:

"You're looking at her," the woman said with a small smile on her face. In fact, she looked amused. "I've been told that you know a little about weapons; we'll be starting off today with some basic fitness exercises. Do you have an idea as to which weapon you'd like to be trained in?"

Alyia fell in beside Raisa quickly as she walked towards a large building. Alyria did know a little about weapons, but not enough to make an educated decision. Alyria smiled, "I do know a small bit about weapons Ma'am, although not much more than they are sharp and when weilded correctly are very effective in disabling an opponent." Alyria reddened a bit at her admitance of not knowing, but she wanted to be up front with Raisa. "I know that I would like something relatively light, can be used one handed, not like the swords that my mother's army used, and easy to wield. I would appreciate if you could help me find something that would suit me."

Alyria looked ahead and realized that they had reached the building while she had been talking. She could hear the clang of metal on metal the closer to the door they were. Raisa opened the door and walked in, motioning for Alyria to follow her. The site inside the room was amazing. There was sunlight pouring in through windows and vents at the top of the room, making the weapons appear to be glowing. Alyria could see bits of metal sparkling and shining as they reflected the bits of light coming in through the room. She tried hard not to look amazed at the beauty before her, but knew she was doing a horrible job at it.

Alyria followed Raisa through the room, slowwly looking at the weapons laid out on the walls and tables. Alyria let her fingers lightly brush down the hard, cold steel of some of the weapons as she went along, waiting for Raisa to make a suggestion as to which weapon would suit her. "There are so many weapons to choose from Raisa, how did you ever make your decision and what weapon do you use: if you don't mind me asking that is?" Alyria spoke politely, trying not to appear foolish.

Alyria Al'Vire

Mentor to Taei Mirel

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get to use to beat you with!" Jayne Cobb, Firefly

Lwena

DM Member

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:34 am Post subject:

"I do know a small bit about weapons Ma'am, although not much more than they are sharp and when weilded correctly are very effective in disabling an opponent."

Raisa nodded slightly, glancing at the Accepted with a hint of approval in her expression. At least the girl hadn't tried to exaggerate her skills with weapons, as Tower Trainees seemed prone to doing. Accepted, she supposed, really were learning weapons out of personal interest - as opposed to the mandatory weaponswork taught to boys and young men who joined the ranks of the trainees. Besides, after at least ten years at the Tower, she supposed the Aes Sedai would teach the Accepted humility, and lying wouldn't get them anywhere anyway. At this point, Accepted all seemed to be trying to be Aes Sedai, though all the Warders knew better. They weren't Aes Sedai yet. That didn't stop them from trying to at least act as though they were under the Oaths already, though. [/i]"I know that I would like something relatively light, can be used one handed, not like the swords that my mother's army used, and easy to wield. I would appreciate if you could help me find something that would suit me."[/i]

"I can do that," Raisa said with a nod, taking the steps up to the armory and pulling open the heavy door to what was possibly one of her most favorite rooms in the entire Yard. She was endlessly fascinated by the array of weapons to be found within, though she could use only a handful of them effectively. She at least knew the basics of the majority of them, but wouldn't have trusted her life - or more importantly, Jaydena's life - based on her skills with any of them. "Where are you from, if I may ask?" The weapons used by armies varied from country to country, though most had the tendency to use heavier swords. She used the simple hand-and-a-half sword, which would be used one-handed, if clumsily. She'd managed to perfect that, however, as she'd studied to fight with two weapons.

"There are so many weapons to choose from Raisa, how did you ever make your decision and what weapon do you use: if you don't mind me asking that is?"

"Impulsively," Raisa admitted with a laugh; that was really the only way to describe it. She hadn't really thought about her decision before informing Andular what she'd wanted to use, though didn't really regret ther decision. "And no, I don't mind you asking. I didn't know much about weapons when I arrived, due to my rather... brief exposure to any sort of fighting and weaponry in my youth." That translated to 'I only saw weapons in passing, when I was bolting down the street'. Giving Alryia an encouraging glance, she added, "I use the bastard sword, primarily, though I'm capable with knives and in hand to hand. And, of course, I can teach you the basics of almost any weapon you find here; I've trained quite a few people, and picked up the basics along the way." She actually preferred her knives to her swords, but that was because that was the weapon she'd learnt in her youth; she had been used to knife fighting and fist fighting, though being a girl she'd been too small to do much of the latter.

"So, do you have any sort of idea what type of weapon you'd like to learn? A blunted weapon, or a sword, or something smaller?" She glanced around the room, eyeing the swords and knives in anticipation.

Raisa

ooc: As a note, I'm going out of town on Saturday for a couple of weeks. I'm terribly sorry for the delay in your training!

Alyria

DM Member

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:05 am Post subject:

Alyria felt herself stiffen a small bit when she hear Raisa ask the question, "Where are you from, if I may ask?" Alyria knew the question was coming, but often times, the response she got when she told people where she was from left all chances of being friendly and open behind. Trying to relax a bit she looked Raisa in the eye and spoke. "I am actually from Mayene, Ma'am. I imagine that with all the fighting in Tear, my mother's Army is getting quite the workout now." She gave Raisa a small smile and watched for any type of reaction at the realization of who her mother was. "I just hope they do their jobs and keep her safe.

She listened as she learned Raisa did not know much about weapons when she arrived either, choosing her weapon impulsively. Alyria found it quite humorous that she was so impusive when she did not see to be here at all! "I use the bastard sword, primarily, though I'm capable with knives and in hand to hand. And, of course, I can teach you the basics of almost any weapon you find here; I've trained quite a few people, and picked up the basics along the way." Raisa replied, giving a small smile at the thought of the people she had trained. "So, do you have any sort of idea what type of weapon you'd like to learn? A blunted weapon, or a sword, or something smaller?"

Alyria looked around the room, trying her best to decide what she wanted. She was torn between the sword and using knives. She had seen both in action and knew they were both affective weapons, she just did not know which she truly wanted to use. She looked at Raisa, the woman's eyes were sparkling in anticipation. "Well, I know I do not want a blunt weapon. I just cannot decide between a sword and knives." Alyria tapped her lips lightly with her fingers before she could stop herself. It was a bad habit she was trying to break, but with no avail. "If I had to choose today Raisa, I would say it would be a sword. I can always try to learn knives later on."

Raisa headed over to one of the tables and began to examine some of the weapons, as if looking for the right one. Alyria followed, anxious to see what she would choose.

OOC - don't sweat it dear! I hope you have a nice out of town trip, and I will see you when you get back! *hugs*

Alyria Al'Vire

Mentor to Taei Mirel

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get to use to beat you with!" Jayne Cobb, Firefly

Lwena

DM Member

Posted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:30 pm Post subject:

ooc: Huge apologies for making you wait so long for a reply Congrats on your raising!

ic:

"I am actually from Mayene, Ma'am. I imagine that with all the fighting in Tear, my mother's Army is getting quite the workout now. I just hope they do their jobs and keep her safe."

Raisa's eyebrow arched slightly, but that was really her only physical reaction. Internally, she couldn't help but laugh slightly, and simply hoped that Alyria wasn't going to be put out when she found out how hard Raisa was going to make her work. She didn't think that the girl could be spoiled, at least not after at least a decade at the Tower. As an Accepted, she'd probably learned the meaning of 'work' as a Novice, and had gotten used to no longer being a princess. In reality, Raisa wasn't going to let it affect how she taught. She wouldn't go any easier on her, that was for sure, and it wasn't fair to go harder. It wouldn't do either of them any good. Her only verbal response was,

"Please don't call me 'ma'am'. It makes me feel old," She smiled slightly; while she wasn't as young as she used to be, she really wasn't old. She was probably close to the same age as the Accepted. "Raisa or Raisa Gaidar will do just fine." Shrugging, she nodded at Alyria's response and led the girl to one of the tables that was laid out with the lighter swords. The broadswords were behind them, and Raisa wasn't about to try the girl on anything heavier than her own weapon. She sounded as though she wanted something light, and so that was what Raisa was looking for. After a few moments of consideration, she selected a few swords and held them up one by one - a rapier, a sword so short it was almost a very long knife, and a longer short sword that was Raisa's first choice. She wasn't too keen on the second weapon, but picked it just in case.

"Try them out - just lift them, see how they feel," She suggested, taking a step back in case the Accepted decided to swing it. She would rather be safe than sorry.

-Raisa

Alyria

DM Member

Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:47 am Post subject:

OOC - No problem on the waiting dear, and thanks!

IC -

"Please don't call me 'ma'am'. It makes me feel old. Raisa or Raisa Gaidar will do just fine." She said with a slight smile. Alyria nodded, feeling her face redden a bit. "If that is what you wish, Raisa, than I will not call you Ma'am again." Alyria replied with a smile of her own.

Alyria watched as Raisa picked up a few swords, looking them over one by one. Alyria looked at each weapon the woman held, watching them glint in the sun. The first one she picked up looked like a very long knife. The second one looked like a normal sword, one that was normal length, and the last one housed a thin blade and it looked almost like a fencing blade, one Alyria had seen used many times.

"Try them out - just lift them, see how they feel," Raisa said, taking a step back. Alyria picked up the one that look like a large knife and held it firmly in her hand. Taking a step backwards and forming a tradtional fencing position, she gave the sword a small swing, frowning as she did. Although the blade was lighter than those she had held before, there was something about it that she just did not like.

She turned the blade over in her hand before setting it down. Alyria reached for the fencing sword and once again gave it a swing. It made that familiar sound, slicing through the air, but it did not feel like it had enough substance to it. She set it down, eyes wandering over the second sword Raisa had pointed out.

She picked it up, feeling it's weight in her hand. She held it firmly, giving it a small swing as she did. While the sword was heavier than the other two, it was not too heavy. It seemed to fit correctly in her hand, sailing smoothly through the air. Alyria set the sword back on the table, looking at Raisa. "I think I will choose this one here Raisa." Alyria said, hand resting lightly on the sword she had just set down. She smiled at Raisa, waiting to see what she would haveher do next.

Alyria Al'Vire

Mentor to Taei Mirel

Lwena

DM Member

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:12 am Post subject:

"Sounds good," Raisa nodded, pausing for a few moments while she tried to find the sheath without digging around too much; usually they were nearby, but sometimes an irresponsible trainee wandered into the armory and moved things around. However, she located it after a few seconds, and tugged it out from under a heavier sword. Sheathing the short sword, she handed it to the Accepted and headed toward the door, gesturing for Alyria to follow. She wasn't a fan of the lesson they were about to begin, but understood the need for it. It was just... boring. That was probably why she didn't like it; Raisa wasn't a fan of being bored.

Of course, it also could have been because it didn't bring back fond memories. As a Trainee, she'd run through rain, snow, sleet, and everything in between. It hadn't been enjoyable. And then, once she'd become a Tower Guard, things had only gotten worse. Her new mentor, at least at first, had decided she didn't pay enough attention to her surroundings. He had decided that the only way to remidy that was to force her to pay attention, but attacking her at random intervals. She'd never been safe - he'd attacked her everywhere but the women's bathing room, as he knew that it wasn't smart to attack a naked woman in a room full of fully trained naked women. However, he'd often attacked her during her warm up routines.

"We're going to do some basic warm ups," She said with a bit of a sigh, pausing at the door of the armory to pick up a small cleaning kit and handing it to Alyria. "Do you know how to care for your weapon, first?" That was important, obviously, something they'd do before the warm up routine. Holding the door for the Accepted, she glanced up at the wall and frowned, wondering vaguely if she should run up and get her weights. She decided no, and turned her gaze back to the Accepted.

-Raisa

Alyria

DM Member

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:14 pm Post subject:

Alyria watched as Raisa dug through the items lying about, obviously looking for the sheath that went with the sword. She sheathed the sword Alyria had picked and handed it to her. Alyria smiled as she took it, and then realized, she had no idea what to do with it! Alyria followed Raisa to the door, stopping as Raisa turned around and handed her a cleaning kit. Alyria turned it over in her hand, knowing what it was for, but not how to use it.

"We're going to do some basic warm ups," Raisa said with a sigh. She seemed very unhappy at the prospect. Alyria too gave a sigh, she had not had to do any physical exercise in some time and knew it would be hard. "Do you know how to care for your weapon, first?" She said, glancing up the wall in front of her.

Alyria smiled at the woman. " I know they have to stay clean and polished, other than that, I am unaware of what I need to do to clean it. I am assuming you will show me?" Alyria smiled at the woman again, hoping that she would indeed show her. Maybe it would stall the exercise she knew was coming.

Alyria Al'Vire

Mentor to Taei Mirel

Lwena

DM Member

Posted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:21 am Post subject:

"Of course," Raisa nodded and abruptly changed their direction so that they were heading toward the grove rather than the stairs up to the wall. They'd only be sitting near the edge of it, since unfortunately, the cleaning lesson wouldn't take especially long, but Raisa was ready to welcome any sort of delay. It wasn't that she disliked physical activity (she was a Warder, after all), but rather that she disliked the bland, dull warm ups that she'd been taught. They worked, though, and therefore she'd continue using them. Perhaps it was just that she needed to find something that she could do while running. Mentally sighing and dismissing the endevour as futile, Raisa settled herself on the grass next to a tree, close to the one where she'd originally been sitting. Patting the grass beside her in an indication for the accepted to sit, Raisa said,

"Alright, now if you hand me your cleaning kit, I'll show you how to use what's in it. Your sword would help as well," She grinned and took the box, tugging the lid off and eyeing the contents. After a few moments, she selected one of the whetting stones, and temporarily borred Alyria's sword. Drawing the stone along the blade in the manner that she'd been taught all those years ago, she spoke at the same time, "Alright, this is for sharpening the blade; make sure you keep it sharp, because if you don't you'll most likely end up regretting it." She wasn't speaking from experience, fortunately. She hadn't experienced any physical injuries as a result of a blunt blade, but had seen it happen and didn't want it to happen to her. She smiled a bit and demonstrated several strokes before handing both stone and weapon to the Accepted. "Now you go ahead and try," She kept a close eye on what Alyria was doing, pointing out anything that she thought was wrong but aside from that, keeping relatively silent.

"Now I'm assuming you know how to polish it, since that's common sense," She smiled a bit. "And yes, it does have to stay clean; if there's blood on it or whatnot make sure to wipe it down as soon as possible." Ick. Blood crusted blades... Standing up, Raisa handed the box back to Alyria with a sigh. "And now onto the basic exercises. Run those up to your rooms, or somewhere safe, and then meet me at the top of the wall. We're going to go for a little run." Hah, little.

Ten minutes or so later, Raisa was waiting at the top of the wall, leaning against the edge and waiting for the Accepted to return. Once Alyria arrived she started off at a slow jog, for her - she was a tall woman, and her slow jog was a quicker one for many others. They weren't going to be full out running, as she was trying to test and increase Alyria's endurance. And one day she'd be doing that was by talking.

"Tell me about yourself, Alyria," She made sure to set a pace that Alyria could keep, but stayed slightly in front of the girl so that she'd have to keep up. "You're to be raised soon, correct? Why are you here training with the Warders?"

Raisa