DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A question about Rand and Gawyn

Traelin

Guest cwestervelt

Gawyn is not currently bonded to anyone. He has agreed to allow Egwene to bond him. This occurred while Egwene was still studying Dreamwalking with the Aiel Wise Ones, she met Gawyn in Cairhein while he was there with Elaida's emmissary. He doesn't quite promise, but his ultimate response is that he is willing.

You can read the section in Lord of Chaos Chapter 25: "Like Lightning and Rain", Pages 366 and 367.

Actually, Luckers, you've turned me around. I haven't read Lord of Chaos, in God knows how long and any references I cite can be very, very wrong...

Still, I doubt that the revenge plan will pan out. First of all, it's very similar to Nynaeve's former hatred of Moiraine and learning to channel in the Tower to avenge the Two Rivers kids, and that didn't pan out, and won't even when Moiraine comes back (I think). There's just not enough time. Is he allowed access to the Darkfriend prisoners? He seems to be a bit of a prisoner himself right now.

Even without the severe truncation of the syllabus, what makes you think Gawyn will be able to make a mark on Rand? Ain't NOBODY taking HIM out with the Power. Confrontation, yes, and hopefully Gawyn will stop acting like a bitch. Power battle, no. Assassination attempt, not with the Power, no. Otherwise, sure!

• 4 weeks later...
perhaps' date=' because he sure as hell wont be taking rand up on his amnesty.

getting gawyn to attack rand would be an ingeneous way of putting rifts all over the place.

Rand/Elayne

Rand/Egwene

Elayne/Gawyn

Egwene/Gawyn

Galad/Rand (if they ever find out theyre brothers)

its not easy to forget your brother tried to kill your husband etc etc etc.[/quote']

the thing with this is that if rand kills gawyn he will face the rath of egwene thus fulfill one of the prophecies...i think...

And does Elayne love rand more then gawyn or does she have more affection for her brother who she grew up with and looked up for protection....so this may cause a rift there if rand kills him cuz no way gawyn is killing rand 8) ....has there been a statement by elayne that proves she loves rand more than anything as a lot of lovers tend to go with the sterotype statement....

galad being related to both doesnt affect anything since he wont kill rand for killing gawyn and gawyn wont be killing rand so this ends here...

it may come down to rand killing gawyn and facing the rath of the amrylin...and elayne going nutz on him and saying "get lost you punk!!" and thus ending their relationship...i hope...just cant stand her! :twisted:

i hope rj can find a way to somehow redeem gawyn's image in the next book, him and his whole family. they started out ok in TEOTW, characters you'd respect and expect to learn great things about in the next books, but they just turned out to be one disappointment after another. gawyn isn't the only messed up main character in the story, though reading about him does give you a clue why the others in his family have an inclination to make stupid decisions. the part that totally blows me is his POV in ACOS where he was trying to justify to himself his actions in not helping rand. he said something like egwene claims rand didn't kill his mother, but she had no proof. he was willing to believe a deranged peddler's gossip at his say-so, but wouldn't believe egwene without a proof! so much for love.

take elayne next. born with the spark, had the potential to be one of the strongest aes sedai in a long while and a ruler of a nation at that, and so on and so forth... captured by BA in Tear, fell to forkroot in Amadicia, knocked down by gholam in Ebou Dar, captured by BA again in Caemlyn. you'd think she would have learned some lesson after the first, or the second... i certainly expected she did after the episode with the forkroot (she said something like, now i understand why aes sedai need warders), but she went on to do the same thing again and again. KOD was probably the tipping point; you can't possibly not hate her after KOD. she wouldn't even feel sorry, a small pang of guilt perhaps, for the many people who died having to rescue her from the BA, because of her pride.

and of course, morgase. of the many countries she could have gone to to seek help reclaiming her throne, she had to go to the one nation where she was outlawed. she can't possibly not know that of Amadicia; she's been ruler of Andor for twenty years and a tower initiate at that, and Amadicia is just right across Lugard from Andor.

it was only galad who seems to have turned out ok in the family in the end, even though he started out in the book with a negative reputation (mostly from the way he was described by elayne in TEOTW). everyone else seems to have been all guts and raw power but not much in the head. if elaida's foretelling is right, and the key to victory in TG lies in this family, then it's a bleak prospect mankind is facing in the last battle. really hope to see some sort of redemption for everyone in this family in the last book.

If they were infallible there would be no story to read or it would not be worth reading anyway, because they could wrap things up in one book. That said, I agree that Trakand has been drug through the dirt a bit. I think they are regaining their feet though. Morgase showed some spirit in KOD and has been alright since she escaped from the whitecloaks if a little bit moppy overall.

Elayne has gained the throne, though I believe that plot line was a mistake. I would have been satisfied if she reached Caemlyn and disappeared until Rand needed a ride or the last battle. I didn't want, care, or feel it was necessary to know the interworkings of Andor but she did get everything wrapped up so I can't berate her to much for not valuing her subjects lives more. RJ is depicting a different era here were not everybodys life is of equal worth. (well that is somewhat true today i suppose too).

Gawyn was a character RJ should have developed more or left out entirely. If I have one real complaint about character development in this series, its that a potential badass character like Gawyn was regulated to the back, back, back, back burner. I mean frigging Julian gets more time. I really could have done without any Shaido point of views or less Perrin if we could have seen some more Gawyn. Anway, he could have used more time and an answer or two thrown his way so that he could have or still can get over his completely justified frustration and anger. His poor decisions regarding Elida is the only beef i have against him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the opposite side of her is ALWAYS right.

I don't think Rand would kill Gawyn even if he attacked him he would know what it would cause between himself and Elayne. At least if he knew who attacked him :twisted: and I don't think Gawyn is the type to sneak up on someone and attack from behind so this isn't going to happen

Archived