DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Watch your step (Kabria)

Talavin

“I have a hard time picturing you as selfish Arath, but even if you were it doesn’t matter now.”

She smiled at him openly thinking of how similar they really were. They both were shy and had traits they wanted to lose. He was as fault ridden as she…they were going to make the best of friends.

“Your doing much better. That last set hardly looks like the same hand.”

She cupped her hand over his and guided his hand through the next set of letters. This close she could feel his hot breath on her next and it sent a shiver up her spine. NO! She would NOT start being attracted to her only friend.

The bells over the Tower peeled high and Kabria tried to jump out of her skin. “NO! It can’t be that late. Adriana Sedai will pepper my hide if I show up looking like this. Adrian is the Green Sister I was telling you about.”

In a flash of white wool Kabria sprang from the bed discarding the filthy dress and began to paw through her wardrobe for another. Not for a moment did she consider that she was undressing in front of a man. With her hands doubled behind her back to door up the buttons she walked to the wash basin to give her face a quick scrub. In a way Kabria had inherited the lack of modesty that the Sea Folk women harbored at sea. Turning back to a red faced Arath she smiled.

“I am sorry to leave so quickly, my new friend. Maybe we can meet again tomorrow in the yards..or the next day? We both could use the practice.” She flew out the door and all but ran through the halls.

Arath beamed as he was told that he was improving well. He knew what the letters were supposed to look like, so the only hard part was learning how to move his hand the way that it was supposed to. He knew that it was just like learning to weild the sword- eventually he would build the muscle needed to manipulate the irritating writing instrument, but for now although his writing had vastly improved, it was still slopy and childish. Arath scolded himself for his negativity; at least he could read.

Arath was taken by suprise as his friend suddenly jumped up and started removing her clothes. As soon as he realized exactly what she was doing, Arath blushed a bright crimson and covered his eyes. Arath nodded stupidly as Kabria offered to meet with him another day. Just as he was about to leave he realized that he didn't have all the time in the world to sit around with Kabria- he had to train! Conveniently enough, however, he did have to take a break for one day each week. Taking out a piece of paper, Arath made to write a note.

"I..." That one was easy, just one letter. Next word- need. "n...e...e...d." That one was much harder. As he was writing, Arath found that it was much harder to write than to read. Not only did he have to form the letters, but remember where to put them. When he was reading, he saw the words and remembered their significance. When he was writing, he had to think of what he had to right, and then remember how to write it. Eventually, though, he managed to scribble out a messy, short note that said: "I need to train. See you in one week." Proud with his work, Arath signed his name at the bottom. Signing his name was one thing that his parents thought was an important skill, so Arath's name was relatively neat.

Swearing as he remembered that he wasn't actually allowed in the Accepted's rooms, Arath snuck his way out of the Tower. He was happy though that he had made a new friend, and was learning a new skill. He couldn't wait to see Kabria again and resolved to work on his drawing all week long. Whistling merrily with a pad of paper and a pen, Arath walked back to his room. Maybe taking breaks wasn't such a back thing after all!