DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What? Breaks! Nooooo! (Attn: Eq)

Talavin

It wasn't until Arath collapsed that he was forced to go to the Infermary. His health had been steadily on a downcline: his eyes were bloodshot, with bags under them, he was getting thinner, and was almost constantly was tired. Eventually, while training, he collapsed and was forced (finally) to go to the Infermary. He persistanly sumbled over to the tower and got directions from a Novice, heading over to the Yellow's domain.

Finally, after being stopped at least ten times by people inquiring why he was in the tower, Arath made it to the place of healing. He was told by an Accepted working there to sit down on a bed and wait for a yellow to see to him. Sighing, Arath sat on the bed, trying not to sleep and thinking of all the training he could be doing.

OOC: it's a wimpy post but I was distracted

Eqwina carefully checked her appearance in the mirror before leaving her rooms. She almost always did, afraid that what she truly was showed in her face. No amount of years could make her any more complacent with her situation. Being that she was a Sitter and head of her Ajah she did not have to serve time in the infirmary, but she often enjoyed the hours of dealing out healing instead of death. Ripples of bows and curtsy’s followed her long walk from the Yellow Ajah Quarters and into the infirmary. A few sisters even tried to stop her, undoubtedly to ask about negotiations in the Hall, but she passed them by without a glance. Her reputation as an outcast helped her to avoid any number of possible encounters with sisters who felt slighted by her lack of interest.

It was just into early afternoon when she arrived. The long white room had a few beds full, but most of the rest where blessedly empty. After all Aes Sedai could heal anything but death.

She dismissed the Sisters that had been on duty before looking over the charts of the few boys still in bed. All they needed was rest, but apparently their injuries had been quite bad if they had been instructed to stay and were restricted to bed.

Sitting on bed just inside the door was a young man who was obviously a trainee. His eyes were sunken into his head and he looked as if he’d been past through a key whole backwards. While she was grateful for the hard training these children went through in order to protect Aes Sedai she often disagreed with the methods. She saw young boys and girls come in by the dozens everyday, each one looking worst than the last.

She remained standing, looking down on the boy with a stern face. Too often if she allowed herself to smile her short stature and delicate features made her look more than a beautiful girl of 16 despite the ageless face. “What is your name child and why are you here.” She grabbed a fresh chart from the table and stood with her pen poised over the page.

Arath jumped up in suprise when the Aes' Sedai came. He tried to bow, but soon found himself off ballence. Almost falling down, Arath managed to fight his way into a standing position. Obviously, though, the Aes' Sedai was less than impressed and motioned for him to sit back down on his bed. Obeying without question (a lesson learned in his time at the Yards) Arath sat down to answer her.

"My name is Arath Talavin, Aes' Sedai. I collapsed during training and was sent here." Arath waited for the Aes' Sedai to scribble down the notes before continuing at her expectant look. "I don't know if I'm sick, or something, but I've been getting steadily worse. I haven't been changing anything in my training schedule; for the past year I've been training from sun up to sun down regularly, doing only fitness excersizes, weapons training, and running... Tell me, Aes' Sedai, do I have some illness that will prevent me from training?"

Arath desperately wanted to recover and get back to training. After all, if he wanted to become a great warrior he had to train hard every day. Also, he owed a debt to Mistress Thera for accepting him in, and had promised Rasheta Sedai that he would become a strong Tower Guard. He pleaded with the Yellow Aes' Sedai with his eyes to make him better. He had never been in the Infermary before so Arath didn't know that the Aes' Sedai were more than willing to Heal without a price. "Please, Aes' Sedai, I know that I'm bothering you and you probably have other much more important people to treat, but can you help me?"

She wrote a few notes on the chart in a flowing script making a note in the margin to send a strongly worded letter to the Mistress of Trainees. Setting the chart on the table next to the bed she told the boy to strip down and get into bed. He started to protest but Eqwina put him firmly in his place. “Boy I want to hear no arguments and nothing about modesty. I have seen things in my life that would put hair on your chest so I am not about to be impressed but yet another bare bum.” Tossing him a gown she turned her back and wrote a few more things on the chart.

The child looked more than a little emaciated even under his muscle and was probably suffering from fatigue as well. She would heal him, make him sleep and then stuff him with all the food he could hold. It shouldn’t take more than half the day and he needed the break from training.

Turning back she was happy to see him sitting on the edge of the bed with his clothes in a neat pile. Embracing the source she felt the sweetness of life flood into her. Suddenly the dark circles under his eyes were clearer and she could see how drawn he really was.

Arath waited patiently as the Aes' Sedai scribbled notes only her chart, but then she told him to strip down. He began to protest, but was quickly silenced by the Aes' Sedai who spoke in a no nonsense tone of voice. Arath turned a bright crimson when the Aes' Sedai spoke of... well... the things that she spoke of. It wouldn't have been as bad if the woman weren't an attractive woman who looked young and beautiful regardless of her ageless face. Her skin was supple and smooth, her dress fit her well, yet she remained modest, and her face was- Arath stopped his thoughts right there and put on the gown before he developed... a problem.

He sat down on the edge of the bed, and folded his clothes into a neat pile beside him. The air was chilly, and he was already uncomfortable in his thin gown. He had been Healed once by an Aes' Sedai, but to Arath's growing horror the woman- Aes' Sedai, he reminded himself, was walking closer. Last time, Rasheta Sedai had to touch him in order to Heal him, but Arath had heard stories about the Yellow Ajah's skill in Healing. He had been hoping that the beatiful woman- Aes' Sedai- didn't have to get close to him while he was barely wearing any clothes.

Arath blushed as he felt the woma- Aes' Sedai's touch on his temples, and gasped as he felt an intense chill throughout his body- as if he was stuffed naked into a pile of snow. The last time he had been Healed, it was for a very minor cut, and the chill wasn't that intense, but this time he must have been in worse shape because he was left shivering and exhausted afterwords. "Th-th'thank you, Aes' Sedai..." Arath managed to get out before collapsing.

Quickly she delved him to see if anything else was wrong. Other than a lack of sleep and a few small injuries, probably taken during practice, he was fine. She let the weave of healing settle on him and she held his head tight against the shivers that would come. Everyone handled being healed in a different way; once she was sure that he wouldn’t do himself more injury she took a step back.

The dark circles were gone and the light in his eyes seemed to have returned, but only time would fix how thin we was. Stubborn pride made the boy try to remain seated, but with ease Eqwina laid him back in bed and tucked the covers up over his arms. “You will stay there until I say you can get up. I won’t have anyone I heal hurting themselves again so soon.” Taking some of the edge off her voice she smiled down at the boy. “Plus I wouldn’t want such a handsome young man to have to miss too much training. You’ll make a very fine Warder one day.” She smiled again and turned away ordering one of the maids to go get as much food as she could carry; at the last minute she sent two. Eqwina had always found that a few kind words could make recovery even quicker, plus after the rumors she’d heard about the Mistress of Trainees the young men needed any complements they could get.

The Tower grounds were large and even being close to the kitchens it could take some time before food came. With nothing else to do Eqwina settled herself on the stool next to Arath’s bed; taking the extra time to smooth the wrinkles out of her Taraboner silk gown.

“How far along are you in your training Arath?” The more people you got to know, the more likely you were find one with yout way of thinking.

Arath was embarised at how easily the woman could force him back into bed, but tried to focus on that embarisement instead of feeling how her hands touched his shoulders. He found himself mortified at the fact that even if he hadn't been ordered to stay put, he could barely more to begin with. He was trying not to notice the angle at which he saw her, standing above him with her hands on her hips- the way women stood when they wanted to tell you that you were in for a beating if you didn't obey them. So, one could imagine his suprise when she turned around and said:

“Plus I wouldn’t want such a handsome young man to have to miss too much training. You’ll make a very fine Warder one day.”

For what felt like the hundreth time that day, Arath blushed a bright crimson. Handsome? Him? Out of all the things that Arath had been described as, handsome was not one of them. In his stupor, it didn't occur to him that his pale, gaunt body must look far from handsome and the Aes' Sedai just being kind. What did register in his mind was that she said he would make a fine Warder some day. Arath returned her smile with a grin of his own. He had spoken to two Aes' Sedai in his time at the Yards, and now both of them had told him that he would make a fine Warder some day- Arath was beginning to believe it himself.

Arath nearly blushed again when he saw the Aes' Sedai smoothing out her dress, but managed to catch one finally. "Oh, I've been in the Yards for a long time... about a year and a half. I guess I'm about three-quarters or the way finished... And by the way, Aes' Sedai.. I was wondering if I could get your name?" Realizing that he had perhaps spoken too familiarly, Arath rushed to correct himself. "I mean, of course, if you don't want to tell me, that's fine. Not that you needed my approval, of course, Lady Aes' Sedai Ma'am... I mean..."

Her foot tapped impatiently, hidden under her dress. The one thing Eqwina could not abide was waste. Every year training saw the loss of at least one young warrior, small numbers considering how many came through, but one was one too many in her book. She only listened with half an ear as the boy talked about his time in the yards. Her eyes kept cutting towards the door, hoping to see one of the maids return. If they did not soon she would have to send another and the first two would need to be punished. This time she made a mental note to find out the young girls’ name.

In her distraction she had almost missed the question, and when her eyes turned towards Arath some of the anger at the maids must have shown through. The boy shrank back in his bed and began to stammer, not making much sense. “Relax Arath, you will do yourself no good getting excited.” She leaned in and pulled the covers back and patted his trembling hand gently. As hard a woman as she was with others, she’d never been unkind to a patient. “ My name is Eqwina al’Caupthn, from Ebou Dar, but just Eqwina Sedai will do.” She’d tried before to allow them to only call her by her name, but no amount of brow beating could convince them.

Seeing that the boy was still uncomfortable she tried to keep her conversation light. “You must be excited to be so close to becoming a Tower Guard. Have you met any young ladies or Sisters that might be in need of a warder?” Distractedly she reached over and patted his hand, trying to allay his fears.

Arath nearly trembled when the Aes' Sedai pulled back the covers and patted his hand. It wasn't just the physical contact between them, but also the fact that the woman- Aes' Sedai, Arath reminded himself- was leaning over to do it. Light! Did the woman have no idea what she was doing? Right... it wouldn't do him any good to get excited... breath...

Arath relaxed a little when she told him her name... Eqwina Sedai... what a beautiful name. He was still uncomfortable, seeing that he was clad only in a thin gown and a sheet- which was partially pulled back. Arath tried deperately not to blush as Eqwina Sedai asked him another question and patted his hand once more.

“You must be excited to be so close to becoming a Tower Guard. Have you met any young ladies or Sisters that might be in need of a warder?”

Arath brightened up as he remembered the other Aes' Sedai who had graced him with her presence. "Yeah, I've met one Aes' Sedai a little while ago. Her name was Rasheta Sedai, and she's of the Green Ajah. I don't know if she needs a Warder or not but she was awefully kind... like you Eqwina Sedai." Here Arath blushed, wishing that he had half of the charming smile that Jasine did. "But you two are the only Aes' Sedai I've met so far, although I've met a few Accepted, but that's it, and I don't think they'd be in need of a Warder.

"I don't really see myself as the kind of man that people would want as a warder. I'm not really tall or muscular, and I'm not really that good with a sword. I'm fine with being just a Tower Guard, really. I owe a lot to Mistress Thera for accepting me and having me trained so well. I know that she's really tough but I don't mind." It wasn't like him to be talking so freely, especially to a woman, especially to an Aes' Sedai. For some reason she just had this air about her... she must have been blessed by the Creator and all of the Light.

Eqwina’s lips twitched, but she schooled them to stillness as she let her hand rest on Arath’s It was only natural at his age to be uncomfortable around women, more so around an Aes Sedai. A devious part of her mind wanted to tell him how old she really was to see if he would eye her approvingly then.

“It is well that you are okay with being a Tower Guard, but never think of yourself as just anything. You are a brave man. No other kind ever finds there way here, and I have a feeling that some young woman will want you for her own. You are far more handsome than you realize.”

True, most women thought a man had to be charming and have a chiseled jaw, in addition to being tall with muscles enough to crush a bore bear handed to be handsome; but Eqwina knew the truth. To be beautiful a man need courage in his convictions and a heart capable of love. He needed to be modest, and yet stand up for what he believed. “ No Arath, you are beautiful” The truth most people knew was that Aes Sedai could not lie. It gave their words weight, even when examined from every angle. That fact was not true for Eqwina, but she meant the words all the same. Having loved someone like Nevin had taught her what beauty really was.

Finally a maid bustled into the door followed quickly by another. Theirs arms were loaded down with two trays a peace but even so they dropped curtsies before setting down the food. Flipping back the clothes that covered them Eqwina examined what food had been brought. There was a thick mutton stew with lentils and woody carrots, thick slices of beef with a mustard sauce, ham glazed with sugar as well as enough apple slices for three men, two types of cheese and three types of custard for desert. “You had done well ladies” Both women bobbed again before retreating to the corner. “Can you sit up yet? Or are you still to weak?”

With her lips pressed in a thin line while the boy groaned his way to a sitting position. “Now you are going to eat every scrap on that tray, and I will sit here to make sure you do.” She folded her hands in her lap, the very image of Aes Sedai patience.

Him- brave? And handsome! Light, and Aes' Sedai could not lie! Arath blushed a crimson even brighter than before. He could feel his pulse in his ears, and tried desperately to calm himself down. Arath couldn't keep a silly grin off his face as he repeated the words over and over in his mind. Light, he was handsome- Eqwina Sedai said so! Arath didn't realise that his eyes were full of gratitude and devotion when he stared at the woman. Light, really she was perfect, not only was she phsycially beautiful but the kindest woman he had ever met (well, perhaps Rasheta Sedai was as kind).

Arath's pride wouldn't let him accept help up, and so he struggled into a sitting position on his bed. He didn't need Eqwina Sedai to tell him about to eat all of the food, he was hungry enough to eat ten horses! But Arath didn't say that, because he wanted her by his side as long as possible. As he gobbled down his food, Arath began striking up conversation with the wonderful Yellow Sedai.

"So, what exactly do Aes' Sedai do anyway? I mean, they have to do something all day, and the stories are all conflicting. Some rumors say that Aes' Sedai are warriors, fighting off shadowspawn in the borderlands. Some say that they research long lost historic things, and others say that they are negotiators that end wars. Some say that they are Healers and they all go around capturing men who can channel and some say Aes' Sedai just go around doing whatever Aes' Sedai things they do. I mean, there's no way you can do all of that?"

Her laugh was rich and full and it filled the large room. Only someone so young could ask a question that was so…innocent. Before answering Eqwina pulled a small lace handkerchief from her belt pouch and dabbed at her eyes. She had not really laughed in some time, even the small humor she shared with Corwin was nothing compared to this. She was.. fascinated by the innocence that emanated from the young man.

“All of those stories are true. We are warriors and fighters, healers and historians. Aes Sedai are all these things. I cannot tell you what a Sister does with every day of her life, but I can tell you what I do. I get up like any other woman and prepare for the day. I eat breakfast and then go over any reports on my desk. Some days I come down here to heal the sick.” She smiled slightly “Other days I meet with the Hall to deliberate and still others I leave the Tower to fight off one evil or another. While the stories you have heard are true, we are still women like any other, living our lives one day at a time. We are just fortunate enough to have more days than most.” Again she laughed and passed Arath the second tray. The custards she left on the table until he was done.

Observant as she was, Eqwina could not help but be aware of the way Arath admired her. Many sisters would have chocked at the thought of being ogled by a trainee, but she relished in it. Eqwina had discovered her beauty late in life and she took every opportunity to flaunt it. Removing the last tray she picked up the small dish of custard and stirred it with the spoon. She dipped a small amount on the end and extended to towards Arath. “Eat up hun!”

Arath listened attentively as Eqwina Sedai told him about the life of an Aes' Sedai. Arath knew that because she was an Aes' Sedai what she said must be true, but he couldn't see how it was. Eqwina Sedai was amazing, far more than a mere woman. It was not just because she was an Aes' Sedai, capable of marvelous wonders, but also because she was so radiant. She had not only a beautiful body but a beautiful soul as well. He could tell by her words and the feeling that she put into them that she truely wished to be a normal woman behind the cool Aes' Sedai serenity.

Her emerald eyes shimmered with compassion, and Arath couldn't imagine her as a normal woman, because she was so much more. Her yellow shawl was like the Light its self- she seemed to be clad in the light, sheltered by the Creator's hand. She was like a light that the pattern wove out, the creator touched the world through her, Healing those who were sick and wounded. Arath admired her more than anyone else. He wanted to be like her, to spread the Light merely by existing. Arath was embarsed when she held the spoon to his mouth, but didn't protest, for he wanted to be as close to her as possible.

As he ate, Arath questioned Eqwina Sedai. "But Eqwina Sedai! Aes' Sedai have the One Power! They can do things that no one else would ever dream of! Like you just healing me, not even the best Wise Woman would ever be able to do what you just did! Aes' Sedai are increadible! They help so many people, and they are always so calm and composed and they don't even get hot or cold! How can Aes' Sedai be normal women when they do so many extraordinary things?"

She laughed again and relished in the feeling. Through the bond she could feel Corwin’s puzzlement and she smiled harder. Half their lives together had been spent fighting, the other half in an extreme state of tolerance. Eqwina would never be the first to admit that she found Corwin attractive, so for now she played the game.

“Why Arath! You can swing a sword to kill a man and you have stamina that most would die for. You Warders can weather even the strongest storm. Yes, we have an ability that picks us out, and sets us above the rest, but look past that. Just as I look past that you are deadly with a sword and we are all just people beneath. “ She was surprised to find the dish empty when she dipped her spoon and she quickly grabbed another.

“You must learn to think of us as only women or the sister that holds your bond will walk all over you!” Why she was sharing this with a child she didn’t know. Maybe in Corwin she’d found a partner, not a supplicant, and it had made her happy. And maybe it was just the joy of talking to someone that thought she made the sun rise.

Arath nodded at her example, but still couldn't quite wrap his mind around the consept. He knew that Eqwina was more than just a woman... maybe she was a woman, but she was also a godess. Perhaps one had to look past the fact that Arath could kill a man, and was far more fit that most, but they couldn't forget that he was a warrior. For if they saw him only as a man they would not be prepared when he struck them down. Yes, one could not forget what someone was at their core, but they could also not afford to belittle them and not see something they are.

"Eqwina Sedai..." Arath paused as she forced the spoon to his face. "You're right, of course, you can't forget that Aes' Sedai are still women, but you also can't forget that they're Aes' Sedai! You have to be something more than just a woman, or else all women would be Aes' Sedai. I mean, it's not even just the One Power... Everything about an Aes' Sedai makes them more than just a woman. A normal woman is controlled by their emotions while Aes' Sedai are masters of them; Aes' Sedai are masters of their surroundings.

"Aes' Sedai are more than just women... You are more than just a woman. Maybe at your core you are a woman who still feels what a normal woman feels, but you can never forget that you have to power that no woman has! You have to power to change things around you, to make the world a better place! You are an Aes' Sedai! You can stop wars! You can heal the dying! You can do so much!" Arath spoke with a fervor and a fire in his eyes that only a boy just shy of man hood could have. It was a fire fuled by youth and idealism, as well as amazement and wonder. "That's why I want to be a Tower Guard... and maybe even a Warder! I want to be there to protect women like you, so that I can help you make the world a better place.

"I can never do half of the things that an Aes' Sedai does without even thinking, but maybe I can help you, help the Tower, so that you can help the world!" Arath didn't realize that somewhere in his speach he started to grip the sheets in his excitment, and had leaned in towards Eqwina. He didn't realize that his speach, so impassioned and hopeful, was so powerful and filled with emotion. He didn't realize that during the monologue he had let down all barriers around his emotions and the woman could easily look deep into his soul.

Eqwina leaned back from his intensity and she sat down the spoon. The boy was obviously enthralled and caught in the grips of what he could not possibly understand. Gently she leaned in and loosened his grip from the sheets tucking him back in and pushed his head back down.

“Your passion is flattering Arath. You cannot know what it has meant to a woman of my age. “ Standing up she passed the trays off to the maids and straightened the mess they’d made. She laid her petite hands on Arath again and wiped away his fatigue. “I think I have caused you more excitement then you needed today. It is time for you to sleep.”

The hour was growing late so with the power she dimmed the lamps that lined the walls. “Rest well Arath for I will be guarding your sleep, and if you want to serve me. Get well and go back to your training. You are of no use only half trained.”

Turning her back she walked over to the desk in the far corner and took up her charts. The flickering light gave her just enough time to read and begin to compose her note to the Mistress of Trainees. 

Arath wanted to argue, he wanted to say that he was fine, and that he could go on for much longer, but before he could protest he was pushed back onto the bed and tucked in like a child. It didn't occur to him that compared to her age, he was indeed a child, a child barely born and new to the world. All that mattered to Arath was that he had a new goal and a new fervor. Before he was selfish- wanting to become strong just for himself. Now, he was on his way of becoming selfless; he wanted to help the world, he wanted to make the world a better place.

Arath thought that he would never be able to go to sleep, he thought that he was so distracted by his dreams for the future and all of his new goals that he could never rest. However, he clearly underestimated the rigors of his Healing, as well as the amount of energy he expended in his long, impassioned discussion with Eqwina Sedai. As soon as his head hit the pillow he was asleep, for he had never felt so safe as he did now, with his angel guarding him.

Arath snored softly as his sleep was filled with pleasent dreams of Eqwina- his goddess.