DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Insult to RJ?

RAND AL THOR

Meh, I wouldn't take it too seriously.  I doubt they ever expected for an actual author to ever read it.  It was mostl likely something they did to amuse themselves, and it's still just sort of languishing forgotten on the net.  And besides, there are way more vociferous detractors to the Wheel of Time than these guys.  These guys at least made some valid points, unlike any number of anti-Jordan criers I've seen around. 

Yes, that is true, lied like a dog is pretty offensive.  The rest of it was pretty funny, and the author did have a few good points to make.  Also, I agree that RJ did not use these cliches for the most part.  And when he did, yes, he made them believable.  Also, regardless of whether his writing was stereotypical cliched fantasy, it was some of the best fantasy writing I've ever read, and that alone makes him one of my favorite authors.  Also, that bet is off.  I don't have $50 to spare. ;D

PS I hope I didn't come off as insulting in my previous post.  I just thought some of the posters misunderstood the content of the page.  The whole point (which is valid) is that these cliches can be found in pretty much every fantasy written after LotR and CoN.  The only thing is, if these cliches are used well, they make fantasy work.  Also, my interpretation is that the authors were not trying to criticize others' writing, but merely poke fun at them.  Because, hey, you have to view life with a touch of humor or you'll never be happy.

Just go through it and post your comments below.

I find Q 33 particularly offending.

http://rinkworks.com/fnovel/

I thought Q. 32 hit home pretty solidly:  Are you writing prequels to your as-yet-unfinished series of books?

Yes I have to agree there. It seems really weird to begin more books which are not directly part of the series when so many fans are waiting for the next book that actually continues the series. Marketing perhaps? Once the last book comes out, popularity craze would begin to fade and everyone wouldn't be as interested in prequels after that.

Archived