DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tarmon Gai'don-new translation

Zas

Hey all, just a quickie:...

Tarmon Gai'don is called the final battle, or the last battle or whatever-its late, im ill and i cant remember the correct term.

Has anyone else noticed that it also means "Battle that guards" that ties in with the the whole idea of herid Fels' that this isn't the last batle at all...

Where did you get that translation. There is no evidence that Tarmon means 'guards', indeed, the old tongue word for 'guard' is valdar. Gai means battle, and Gai'don would seem to be a stronger version of the word. The Old Tongue translation of "Battle that guards" therefore would be Valdar Gai or Valdar Gai'don, or perhaps Gai Valdar or Gai'don Valdar.

Where do you get that Gai means guarding, or has to do with guarding? Check the Old Tongue Dictionary. Gaidin translates to Brother to Battle, or Battle Brother. Just like Gai'Shain means Pledged to Peace in Battle. In that case the Gai still means Battle and the Shain means the Pledged to Peace part. It's obviously derived from what the Aiel used to be, which is Da'shain which means Peaceful One.

again my apologies, i dont have a copy of the old tongue dictionary, i just remembered a couple of words with common syllables on the spot and tried to get the common denominator...

like i said

so much for assumptions

Archived