DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I think I'm new.... not entirely sure, though....

Hugh

Hi, and welcome! Good to have you here....

uh... sorry... wrong end of this stick....

I'm kinda new here.... In as much as I first visited Dragonmount about 4 years ago...

A friend of mine introducted me to WoT (or tWoT, or WoTever you want to call it) about 8 years ago.... I think books 1-6 were available at the time (I could check, but I'm sure it really doesn't matter ;)). He leant me the first couple, which I loved, and I proceeded to buy the rest of the series.

Since then, every time a new book comes out, I'll read the whole series from the beginning. Please... tell me I'm not the only one to do this... :?

I've kinda been slacking off a bit recently, and have only just started my re-read for KoD - I'm somewhere between Four Kings and Caemlyn at the moment (and I've finally figured out the time-jumping in that bit)... so it'll be a while before I get to KoD... no spoilers please!

And, well, as for the rest of me.... I live and work in London (UK, not Ontario). If you want to know more, just ask!

Amazing.

The first time I've EVER heard someone refer to London as the UK-one in order to seperate it from the Ontario-one. I'm a British Columbian, whatever that makes me, I assume I can sympathize.

Welcome to the boards mate. Whether this leads you to message boards, discussions, silly stuff, or if you're game isn't salty enough- Rp boards. Best o' luck to ya mate,

cheers

wolfs

hehe - I've heard people jokingly ask whether I mean UK or Ontario before.... I suspect that, if I just said London, nobody would get the wrong end of the stick!

I'll probably just be hanging around on the general discussions/spam/debates forums... I'm not hugely into RP, I'm afraid :oops: More interested in chatting with people about the books/world in general...

Guest TheDemigod

welcome welcome, hope you enjoy it here :P

if you find the time for it please dopopo by the yellow ajah boards *nods*

otherwise just hang around and have fun

Guest Egwene

High Hugh... great.. another Brit :D

We are getting strong here... in fact if you look on the DM meets.. there is a thread by Corki asking about others in London (THE London... didn't know there was another *g*)

No... you are not alone... this place is full of sick people that just can't leave those books alone *g*.. Hey, I even put up the old question about 'who did it' again.. if you fancy voting on your favourite suspect.. you'll find the thread on the book discussion boards.. :wink:

Look forward to seeing you on some of the boards that you mentioned!!

I think he did it himself.... And just looked shocked in order to confuse all of us! (we are talking Asmo here, right?)

Will have to have more of a think about it this read through and see if I can come up with any theories that are a little more serious than the one above....

Could've been Bela, though....

Anyway, good to see a strong Brit contingent on here... All up for coming along to a meetup at some point (I think I was a part of the RJ group on meetup.com a few years back... kept getting e-mails for a while, but they kinda died off...)

Anyway, will make an effort to post more when I have a little time.... I'm a bit pressed for spare time at the moment... have spent this evening taking photos of The Pipettes, and tomorrow am shooting Morning Runner... both very cool bands, both for different reasons (one for looks, one for sounds...)

Another London DMer??

Wow...never thought I would see one! lol! Though technically, I am onloy here in London when I am a student!

Anyway, welcome to DM!!!

Another London DMer??

Wow...never thought I would see one! lol! Though technically, I am onloy here in London when I am a student!

Anyway, welcome to DM!!!

Guest Egwene

lol, Hugh... nice being able to talk 'code' *grin*... of course the Bela theory is one that has much support :roll: *g*

sounds like an interesting job you've got, though I have to admit that I don't know those two bands..

If we carry on getting so many new guys from the UK, we really should try and have a get together sometime...

Guest Egwene

lol, Hugh... nice being able to talk 'code' *grin*... of course the Bela theory is one that has much support :roll: *g*

sounds like an interesting job you've got, though I have to admit that I don't know those two bands..

If we carry on getting so many new guys from the UK, we really should try and have a get together sometime...

hehe - I think I spent far too much time hanging around on a few WoT forums a couple of years ago (and, I seem to remeber, an IRC chatroom...) Enough that the standard debates are all starting to come back to me now!

My photography isn't full-time, unfortunately (well, not that unfortunately, as I do love my day-job too) - I usually spend 2 or 3 nights a week shooting bands, and the odd weekend...

Both the bands I mentioned are on their way up - Morning Runner more so than The Pipettes... Morning Runner (photos from yesterday) are an indie band who supported Coldplay at some big gig last year. The Pipettes (photos from monday) are a much more poppy (pop-y) band fronted by three girls. They are fantastic live, even if their single did really start to bug me when it was played far too much on the radio....

I've not been around for all that long, but if anything is organised, do let me know - if it's relatively easy to get to, I'm sure I'll turn up!

And Corki: Thanks! I've only been a londoner for the last 3 years - before that I was a student in Bristol, and before that just outside london.... Love it here, though - there's always so much to do!

Guest Egwene

Great photos Hugh. Like the ones from Morning Runner. And even I who listens mainly to Classical music, have heard of Coldplay...

Is the film making your main job? Got to be something other than working 9-5 in an office if you love your day job *grin*

I will be in London sometime in July for a few days. Going on a shopping spree with a cousin of mine. It'd be great to meet up with some of you London based guys. Maybe have a meal in china town... I always go to that huge place where the restaurant goes over five or six floors. I think it's on Wardour street...

... and I can't wait to raid the chocolates at Harrods!!

Edit: typo

I'm confused.... where'd I mention film-making? (oh... just thought... my website?)

Broken Pipe Films isn't full-time - I do more photography through there than I do films.... But I do work in films (I love posting that link.... sorry... :oops: ) It is working in an office, but it's not 9-5 (more like 9-7, or occasionally 9-9) - still, it's a fascinating job, and I really enjoy working there about 75% of the time!

Which restaurant on Wardour Street are you thinking of? I don't know it straight off, but I do work on Wardour Street, so I know the area quite well... If you're down this way, do let me know...

Thanks for the comments about my photos! The closest I've come to working with classical musicians is a band called Paris Motel - they've been described as "ethereal orchestral pop" - most of the musicians are classically trained.... - you can listen to some of their music on their myspace page

I am currently living in the delighful U.C.L. Halls of Residence in Camden at the moment, and shortly looking for a house for myself and a few friends for next year!!!

As you said Hugh, there is always so much to do!!! Better than the little boring town that I live in when I am back home and not being a student!!!

I was in Harrods last week...and saw the ugliest porcelain ornament, and it was being sold for over £14,000!!!! It was hideous!!! Plus I also saw a coffee making machine that looked liked it had seen various historical ages that was about £7,000!!!! Oh, and the chocolate section looks nice!!! Go up to the 4th floor for the delicious looking hot chocolate!!!!!

And Wardour Street...if needs be, I can ask my Chinese friend which restaurants he recommends! ;)

The pics look great!!! Just out of interest, where is the Garage?? The background looks familar...just asking!!!

Ahh - cool - Camden.... I live up Camden Road (just before you get to Holloway)

The Garage is right by Highbury and Islington tube station - currently (along with the Camden Barfly) one of my favourite smaller venues (capacity is probably about 400ish)

I love shooting at Koko (Camden, by Mornington Crescent tube station), though - that's a fantastic venue - I've done a couple of gigs there in the last month...

Guest Egwene

It's amazing what people will pay for rubbish, Corki :shock: Next time you're in Harrods, try some of the Belgian chocolates from Leonidas... they are the most decadent pralines I know!!

Hugh, I'd love a recommendation for a good chinese. I think the one I have been to several times is called Wantoon or something... I just know it by sight when I get there..lol.

There's a dim sum restaurant that I've been to called something like the Golden Dragon - it was nice, but I later found out that apparently it has one of the dirtiest kitchens in the UK....

There's another dim sum restaurant on Great Marlborough Street called Ping Pong. I've been there a couple of times, and it's a fantastic place to eat....

Moving away from chinese, Busaba (Wardour Street) always has long queues outside it - I've never been in, but the queue suggests it's good....

There's a lovely small Thai restaurant on St Anne's Court - Soho Thai - again, I've been there a few times...

*nods*

Well, all insides of places must look similar to me!!! lol! I just looked like a place called the Garage that is just around from the UCL Union building, but there again, that is a theatre!

Koko...we had our Fresher's Ball there...really nice place...i keep looking to see if anything is on worth seeing, but end up either busy or getting dragged elsewhere!!!

There is a possibility I could be living in Finsbury Park next year...all depends on if a friend emails me the stuff through!!! And I have just realised, we may have past each other on either the 29 or 253 bus!!! Scary!!!

There is a really nice Koran restaurant off Oxford Street that I have been to. I was fortunate to have gone with a Korean (my next door neighbour), who was able to recommend what to it. It was very good!!! I will out the exact name when I speak to my neighbour!!

Plus, if you like Japanese, I seriously recommend Bento Box in Camden!! I was there on Saturday with my girlfriend, and it was amazing!!! All the food was so tasty and very fresh! For the wide variety of food we had, it was a very good price. And there were quite a few Japanese customers as well. It was the best Japanese food I have tasted outside of Japan (I was there about 3 years ago on a school exchange).

Guest Egwene

yes, I always look upon it as a recommendation if the 'natives' use a restaurant. Can't wait to have a wander round some of my old haunts... it's been a few years since I lived in London..

Do you guys have any recommendations for places I should take my cousin? Nice coffeshops... places to watch the world go by... We haven't seen each other for quite a long time and will probably spend a lot of time just sitting in interesting places drinking coffee whilst catching up on each others lives...

Corki: Cool - do check out The Garage - there are some great smaller bands there....

The last time I was at Koko was for the Big Ask Live - Friends of the Earth's gig at the beginning of the month - Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood (from Radiohead) were headlining (photos)

Other than that, the other times I've been to Koko has been to shoot a band I shoot all the time - Mohair (shed-loads of photos from the last 2 years)- they've played a couple of Club NME nights there...

And yes, we may well have seen each other on either of those busses! I get the 29 to and from work every day, and get the 253 if I'm just going to/from Camden....

Egwene: There are a couple of nice coffee shops around Soho that I frequent.... I'd recommend Flat White on Berwick Street (just south of Broadwick Street) - it's a really friendly Kiwi-run coffee shop. The seating isn't the best - they have a comfy padded bench along one wall, with tables and stools on the other side... But if you get the table in the corner, both of you can get the comfy bench.... The other one I go to occasionally is The Movie Cafe on Wardour Street (just north of St Anne's Court) - really nice in there, if a little smokey at times...

Flat White is great because there's Berwick Street Market just outside the door - not a main road with loads of cars...

Guest Egwene

Guys.. may I suggest the pink carnation in the left button hole and a copy of The Times under the right arm for the bus journey??!! :D

Thanks for the recommendation, Hugh. I'll look out for the table in the corner.... so if it's taken for four days solid in July, you've only got yourself to blame :wink:

Seems to me with all your interest in the music business, you should join the Band of the Red Hand (if you haven't already that is). They are supposed to be all about travel and music and Corki here is the hugely active guy in charge... I don't have a great deal of personal insight... too busy elsewhere... but only yesterday someone gave me a glowing report of that rebel outfit!

*laughs*

Well, The Times may not be such a bad idea as it is the newspaper I read!!

Well, yes, we in the Band pride ourselves as the Music & Travel ORG here...though sometimes that doesn't always seem the case, but I try my best to make sure it is!

Now, who called us a 'rebel outfit'?? I wouldn't consider the Band as that...just a load of people who want fun. 8)

Any connection with these guys? hehe - I do wonder if they know that they have namesakes in Randland?!

And Egwene: A pink carnation in the buttonhole might not be such a giid idea for me... The only button I usually have on my clothes is the one on my trousers... that could get me some VERY strange looks....

I will certainly have to check out the Band, though....

Guest Egwene

ratflmao... some images are just too funny *giggle*

I reckon the Band (here) should adopt the Band (there) as their official mascot *g* ... or vice versa ..

I do wonder how they came up with the name... maybe one of the members is a WoT fan...

Archived