DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Desert Island Disks - BotRH Style!

Corki

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, the Marshal-General is once again taking over the hot seat and hosting the interview. All I need now is for my guest to turn up. Once they do, it is time for the interview to begin!

Not at all! If anything, I am the one who caused the delay with taking so long to get this started! Now that we are both here, let the fun and games begin!

So let's start with my typical first question - how did you find Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, and what drew you to this crazy place, Dragonmount?

Hmm, how did I find Wheel of Time? Well, I had run out of books to read and the library wasn't open or I had no way of getting to the library so I decided to browse through my dad's books that he keeps in his office in the basement. For some reason, I decided to pick of The Eye of the World. It took me a little bit to get into it, but as happens to most, I eventually couldn't put it down. Luckily for me, I had books 1 through 9 or 10 sitting at my fingertips, so I read straight through them. Then I got a good friend of mine hooked on them as well (she started reading the series after I did but passed me...and we were reading the same set of books lol). She was actually the one that found Dragonmount and suggested I check it out. I got hooked but she never did.

That was fortunate! Well, like you, it took me a while to get into the series, and even longer to get onto the second book as I think I was making my way through the available Terry Goodkind books in his Sword of Truth series.

So now, we move onto your first piece of music. What is it (please provide a link), and why have you chosen it?

I'm going to have to choose

as my first piece of music.

I chose this piece because, first of all, it's just a part of who I am. I consider myself a Jesus Freak because I am a Christian and proud to say so. Also, this piece represents to me my first "branching out" experience with music because I found them on my own without being influenced by anyone else. Not to mention, I listen to this song often because I love the way it sounds and the message it portrays.

I had no idea what to expect when I opened up that link, but I was mildly surprised at what I heard! I think I was going to expect something gospel-esk, but the rap/rock style did come out of the blue! And I was mildly surprised at the fact I liked it...maybe it was urging the Christian in me to get out more, probably since I am on the one way trip to Hell!

So, how many years have you spent at DM? What ORGs, apart from the Band, have you joined? And what made you enrol with the Band?

Most are surprised by what they hear from that link!

Well, I have been at DM for 5 years now as I joined in 2005....or maybe it was October of 2004? A while ago lol.  At first, I was only a member of the White Tower. I made it all the way to full Aes Sedai before I even considered joining the Band! Helike recruited me, insisted that I check it out. It took me a while, but I eventually joined the Band and immediately joined the Archers (the RR program was not yet in place). So I guess Helike is at fault for getting me stuck with you all! But honestly, I'm glad I made the decision to join the Band. I enjoy visiting my Ajah in the White Tower, but the Band is where I truly call home.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for not getting back to you sooner! Anyway, time to put that right!

Helike - now that is a name from the past! But she did the right thing in getting you to join! ;) And like you, the Band is my home at DM. That is partly because the Warders Guild at the White Tower is extremely quiet most of the time, except for spamming novices. I check in most days, but hardly post. The same applies to the Seanchan as well.

And now we move onto your second piece of music. What is it, and why does it stand out for you?

Mkay, my second piece of music is Brandon Heath's Give Me Your Eyes. This is another Christian song (of course, I've listened to them all my life and will never stop). This song really stood out to me not just because of the words, but because of the music itself. The voice may not have the best melody to sing to, but with the background music, the voice can't. And for me, this song fits together because of that. The music and the words mix together, making the melody fit to the words of the song in a way. Saying that we can't change much but God knows everything and has the power to show us everything, despite our simple minds.

I've been here a million times,

A couple of million eyes,

Just move and pass me by,

I swear I never thought that I was wrong

Well I wanna second glance,

So give me a second chance,

To see the way you've seen the people all along

I love that bridge in the song, mainly because it's so powerful. And the music video in the airport is so fitting.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologise for taking so long, but time to get this moving again!

Wow! That was quite catchy, and pretty relaxing to listen to. And you are right - the video fits the song perfectly! I feel as if I have been quite blinkered with my views to Christian music, and what you are picking is changing my mind and views on it.

So, we have focused on the Wheel of Time series and the Band/DM, so it is now time to focus on you. What things do you enjoy doing in your spare time? I know you are studying quite hard at the moment, so do you have any plans with what you are going to do with that? Apart from picking my sentences and grammar apart!  :P

I'm glad I can give you a new view of Christian music! I'm not a gospel/sing out of the hymnal girl, I like it upbeat and fun!

Well, aside from picking apart your grammar, I will be doing such to a multitude of high school students somewhere. However, i want to eventually teach at the college level. I would love to expand the TESOL program in the U.S. and make my country (especially teachers) more aware of the desperate need of proper instruction for English Language Learners. Learning a language myself, I've begun to understand their difficulty and have a special place for them. I would also love to teach abroad some day.

• 11 months later...

So, nearly 1 year later, I finally decide to get around to moving this forward! It is totally my fault!

Anyway, I welcome us back to the interview I was conducting with Jeannaisais, the Band's Under-Commander and 2iC. I'll let you have a quick recap of where we were. And as you do so, can you let us have your third piece of music, and explain why you have chosen it.

Hmmm my third piece of music will probably have to be

I picked this song because it's one of the first Spanish songs I really latched on to and understood without having to look up the lyrics! Which, for it being sung in a different language is quite impressive! Basically, this song represents to me my success in learning the Spanish language, but it's also a song that is almost addicting as I cannot seem to stop listening to it. While the actual meaning of the song seemed strange to me at first, I began to compare it to my experience with learning Spanish--especially after arriving in Spain. Feeling tossed between two cultures (american and spanish) and then seeing the multiple cultures found here, you realize that you might as well just be "the son of the moon" or your own person and experience the various cultures without worrying about it too much. Not sure if that makes a lot of sense, but it mostly makes sense in my head!

It's quite a popular song, I think. I am convinced I have heard it before - but more with a metal twist.

So, now that you have settled in Spain, what have been your first impressions? What have you enjoyed the most? What have you found the hardest experience? And how is the speaking going? The speaking aspect to any foreign language is what I find the hardest. I am extremely comfortable with reading and writing, but I know I struggle with the speaking and listening. I think this is the case since both Latin and Ancient Greek are mainly languages you learn to read and write.

It is a popular song, and I believe you're thinking of the version by

First impressions of Spain....well my first impression was that I might starve while I'm here! Not because of lack of food but because of the vast difference in meal times that I had become accustomed to in the U.S. At home, breakfast is at 7, lunch at about noon and dinner at about 6 or 7pm whereas over here we have breakfast at 7, lunch at almost 3pm and dinner after 9pm!!! Yikes! But, it's actually a very healthy diet...I mean, our desserts are fruits!

The part I've enjoyed the most so far was visiting Toledo. That city was absolutely amazing and I am honestly considering returning just so I can browse around some more without the time crunch of needing to make the bus! As you might have seen/heard from pictures I've posted, Toledo is a town in which three different cultures are distinctly present: Jews, Muslims and Christians. Meaning that Toledo has buildings that were built by all these cultures making for a very fascinating city to walk through based on its architecture.

The hardest experience so far has been, to be perfectly honest, recovering from jet lag! Having never flown internationally before, i felt like a complete dead beat the day I got here. My flight arrived in Madrid at 8am and while I did sleep on the flight, trying to stay awake all day was a chore and I honestly got nothing done! I didn't even change clothes! Hopefully I'll handle the jet lag a little bit better on the way back though!

As for the speaking...it's a work in progress. The most important about speaking I've learned is that you just have to get over the grammar and start talking! Who cares if you mess up a tense or two, as long as the meaning is conveyed, you're good! Not to mention, Spaniards love it when you actually speak in Spanish instead of reverting back to your English ways. Listening isn't too hard, and reading and writing have always been my fortes as well!

I can't remember who it is! And my quick and lazy search of last.fm bore no fruits!

Well, the Spanish enjoy their siestas! Most Mediterranean countries operate in a similar fashion. I know Greece does. It is strange to begin with, but you'll get used to it. You'll probably find your home times funny when you return.

The one reason I want to go to Istanbul in Turkey is to see the mix of cultures as East meets West. It is truly fascinating. I know there was a mix of architecture in Budapest when I went last year, and it was fascinating.

I know about the jet lag! I think I was out for about 2 days when I went to Japan. I was so tired that I think I spent most of the time sleeping!

Now, we move onto your fourth and penultimate choice of a song. What is the song, and why have you picked it?

I couldn't even imagine what I'd be like if I had gone to Japan from the U.S. ugh! My friend whose traveled between U.S. and Korea multiple times assured me that jet lag always sucks!

My fourth choice of music is Never Alone by Barlow Girl. This is another religious song that I absolutely love to listen to and sing with. The message should be pretty self-explanatory and is one of the main reasons I love this song. It simply speaks to the Christian belief that God is always with us no matter where we are in the world. Even when we are down, upset, stood up or whatever the case may be, He is there to pull us through. It's just one of those songs that when you listen to it, it makes you feel better.

That was slightly "heavier" music-wise than I was expecting. Maybe I shouldn't be so stereotypical. I believe you have shown quite a range of Christian music through your picks. Having just read through the lyrics, I definitely see the message that you explained.

Now, this is probably my final question of the interview. Now that you are over here in Europe, I believe you have quite a few travel plans lined up. Which places have you confirmed that you are going? Why did you pick them? And which places are on your "I want to go, but haven't booked yet" list?

I think I said it before but the slow moving 'gospel' Christian music isn't really my style...I like it to be more upbeat and fun because Christians should not be singing melancholy music when we say we have something to be overjoyed about, you know? My last choice will probably just emphasize that ;)

And travel plans...oh goodness! At first coming over here I figured I wouldn't be doing a lot of traveling...and then I heard about these cheap places to stay called hostels and cheap sites to get flights like ryanair or easyjet or edreams and my whole semester plan changed in the blink of an eye! As of right now, my only confirmed trip is the one I am taking over spring break (Holy Week) with my mom. We are going to Athens, Venice and Villach, Austria. The first two are my choices and I chose Athens because I've always enjoyed hearing about things like Greek mythology and there's also quite a bit of biblical history there so I figured, why not go to the absolutely gorgeous city of Athens and see all these wonderful sites? We're even doing a one day island hop tour of Aegina, and two other islands whose names I forgot off the top of my head! Next up is Venice...I have always wanted to see this city and am overjoyed that I am actually getting to go!! There are a lot of cities in Italy that I would love to see, but Venice is in my top three along with Rome and Florence. I may not make it to Florence but at least I'm getting to two out of my three top choices. And lastly, Villach Austria is a city I chose in Austria for my mom because she has always wanted to go to Austria. Unfortunately, we are on a tight schedule and won't be able to venture very var into Austria, which is why I helped mom find a city close to the boarder of Austria and Italy. Mom would love to go to Salzburg because that's where the Sound of Music was filmed, but it's almost a full day train ride from Venice, and Vienna is even farther!

Other trips that are forming in my head are the possibility of going to London the weekend of April going into May, not just for the royal wedding but because I've heard London is a pretty cool place to visit. Also, within Spain, I would like to visit Seville, Barcelona, Cordoba, Cadiz, Malaga, and any others anyone might suggest! And the reasons for these: Sevilla is the sister city to home town of Kansas City, MO; Barcelona is almost a must see for anyone who visits Spain, right?; Cordoba, I've been told I should definitely visit there; Cadiz is actually already on the list as my program is taking us there for the second weekend in May; Malaga because it'd be cool to see too. I've already been to Madrid, Toledo and El Escorial though. Oh and there is also the possibility that I will be taking one more weekend trip to Vienna, Prague or Bhudapest...a friend and I are going to compare flight prices, times and pictures to see where we would like to go.

That's quite some schedule! A lot of those places on my doorstep, so it is quite easy for me. So I think you are right in making the most of it while you are out here in Europe.

Quick tip - Easyjet are probably the best of the budget airlines in Europe. Ryanair are the cheapest, but they don't get a good press. With all these airlines, watch out for hidden prices. Especially with Ryanair.

That is a very good list. It's been a few years since I went to Athens, but definitely check out the Acropolis and the National Archaeological Museums. But be wary of pickpockets. My Classics teacher had his wallet stolen on the underground, and the thief went of a shopping spree.

Venice is different to any city you will have been to. If you are staying in Venice, stay outside in a town called Mestre. Then catch the train in every day for just €1 - unless prices have gone up! That is what Northie and I did. And a trip in a gondola is very expensive. And visit the island of Murano for the glass. It's truly wonderful stuff, and it is world famous.

I have never been to Austria, so I can't pass on any travel tips. All I know is that Vienna is very, very expensive. I've looked, but have always been put off by the price. In a few years time!

If you do come to London, you'll have a ready made guide in myself...and I am sure I can drag Northie along as well. Just so you can witness in her inability with directions! :biggrin:

Either Prague or Budapest will give you a flavour of Eastern Europe. Both these places are up and coming tourist destinations. Prague has had the British stag culture hit it (usually at weekends as it is very cheap to eat and drink) so has got more money to spend on itself. Budapest is slowly getting the money from tourism, but is stuck in the middle - you will notice a few run down places. Prague is smaller, and probably easier to do in a weekend. And after about a day, you won't need a guide book!

Now, before I ask you to pick one song to take to your desert island, along with a book and a luxury item, what is your last piece of music? And why have you chosen it?

So easyjet is a good idea and ryanair is something to be cautious with, got it! As of right now, mom and I are actually planning on staying on the main island of Venice, probably close to the Grand Canal. And those are already on our itenerary for Athens. As for Austria, the city of choice right now is Villach, a small city just inside the Austrian border from Italy and pretty much in the mountains. The idea of heading to London is definitely growing on me, I'll be sure to pm you if it become reality. As for the other trips....they all depend on funds after the major set ones!

And my last piece of music is by one of my favorite Christian artists, TobyMac, called

The reason I chose this song is because it reminds me of how it's always possible to turn over a new leaf or start over by essentially 'turning on the ignition'. Also, it stands for having a fire and passion for something, such as my belief, by means of making sure I 'have my ignition turned on every day.' While this a challenge, it's always good to have a reminder like this song to listen to time and time again. Not to mention, it was the theme song for Nascar last year!

I think you have given us a nice variety of Christian music. I believe we have covered many different music genres! I know it has certainly opened up my eyes. And it certainly interesting reading the lyrics associated with the songs.

Firstly, thank you for your time in this interview. We have now finished, and move onto wrapping this up.

So, out of the 5 songs you have chosen, which one would you take to your desert island?

Also, which book would you take and why? Please note that the Bible (or another appropriate religious or philosophical work) and the Complete Works of Shakespeare are given to you.

And lastly, what would be your one luxury item you would take to your desert island?

Oh goodness, now here comes the hard part

For the song, I think I would take......hmmm....Brandon Heath's Give Me Your Eyes

Book: My Spanish Study Bible, yep, in Spanish (if my Shakespeare teacher from last semester hadn't destroyed Shakespeare I might have chosen the Complete Works)

Luxury Item: I'm gonna say a brand new pair of tennis shoes....only because I absolutely hate to be barefoot

Archived