DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Arbor Day - Attn: Arturus

Shaneevae

The burlap smelled musty and scratched at her skin, as it lay folded over her arms. She had chosen poorly when planting the dogwoods, a hybrid of the Kousa and Laos, which needed a moist yet well-drained soil.  The original location had been perfect five years ago, but in those five years the landscape had changed drastically.  Uncharacteristically harsh storms accompanied by a meandering river had caused too much erosion.  It was time to move her little creations to higher ground.  Loading the burlap into the wagon, she wondered when her help would arrive and she wondered for the millionth time what she would call her new little invention.

Shaneevae had been pondering that notion since the day she’d conceptualized the mating of the two endangered ornamentals.  Mating was actually oversimplifying matters. Grafting one into the other was a pain in the arse. She’d sliced, cut and mangled her hands repeatedly before she’d gotten a successful graft. The Brown Sister could have done most of the work using Saidar, but for some reason it felt like cheating.  Scientists should get their hands dirty. It should be a law.  Besides there was something sensual about using your hands and there was too much pleasure to be gained to hand off work to another or avoid the best parts by using the One Power.

It wasn’t often that she called upon a Tower trainee to help out with her research, but the work was too physical for novices or accepted and since she insisted upon using the hands on approach, she needed a strong set of shoulders to help burden the load.  As long as she got to dig her hands into the rich, damp earth, she would be pleased.  Returning to her lab, the sleepy eyed Sedai continued to gather all of the tools required to transplant a dozen dogwoods; spades, shovels, cloth bindings, pins and just about anything else she could think of having always been a fan of coming prepared.

Brushing the remnants of burlap from her worn tan skirt, she looked into the cracked mirror, which hung upon the wall of her office.  Golden brown hair hung past her shoulders in thick waves, long enough to be a nuisance, digging pins from her desk she pinned it up haphazardly, wild tendrils caressing her face and bare shoulders. The white bodice was clean, but old as were all of her field clothes.   There was no point in ruining perfectly good clothes just to look good.  Tightening the laces on the bodice, she made note of how dark her skin had gotten over the summer months.  The freckles thick upon her shoulders, chest and face made the blue-green of her eyes startling in contrast. Shaneevae would always look more a farmer’s daughter than an Aes Sedai.   It wasn’t a bad thing. It just was.

A soft, “Excuse me?” broke her study.

Shaneevae el'Edware

Brown Ajah

So it had happened again. One punishment lead to another. He was punished once and had to take ornamental horticulture classes. So when an Aes Sedai came looking for a set of strong arms and a mind that might know a thing or two about planting all fingers were pointed at Arturus Logres. It bothered him sometimes how everyone jumped at their requests. (No one is going to make me jump!) he thought.

Arturus rounded the corner to room he was supposed to meet this Aes Sedai and jumped when he saw her bent over picking up equipment. (Ok maybe they will.) He stood there a moment just admiring the perfect curves until he snapped out of it when she stood up to pin her hair. Turning a deep red he took two quiet steps in.

"Excuse me." he said. The Aes Sedai, Shaneevae, turned around. She stared at him for a moment looking him up and down. Arturus knew this was natural but it still felt like he was being tested. He ran his hand through his deep black hair, a nervous twitch of his before he gained the courage to look her in the eyes again.

"I am your help for you project Aes Sedai. I am Arturus Logres." He thanked the Light that he used a pine based soap of his own creation because he was sweating already. Pine is perfect for cleaning wounds and a decent smell as well. He used a powdered flouride stone, mint leaf extract, and salt and soda for his mouth, his mother's creation, because it was better than what most others used. He already smelled like had had been hours at work on this project with the pine smell and the wintery mint in his mouth. He was surprised she didnt smell him come in.

He wore loose fitting breeches for this project. Peasant clothes by noble standards but un restrictive on movement. The black dye on his breeches and linen shirt would make it hot today, but would cover up any stains. It also gave him a good reason to sweat, even if it wasnt the real reason.

Casually shaking out a soreness that wasnt there in his arms and trying to show her that he was strong enough for the job he pretended to have all the courage in the world as he asked "So what are we doing today?"

Rising, Shaneevae finished jabbing the last pin through her hair and ran her hands over the bare portion of her chest to make sure she wasn’t giving the youth more than he needed to see. No, everything was tucked away nice and neat. Smiling, she looked the boy over thoroughly. It was not because the young man was attractive though he was certainly that, but the job required a strong back and she could not afford to waste time on a boy that couldn’t lift his sword above his head without toppling under the weight.  Not much taller than she, but built well. He would do, but she did wish he were not quite so pretty. A distraction with that dark hair long enough for him to brush out of his eyes in a boyish manner.  It was quiet fetching really.  Silently, she admonished herself, he was a boy. The possibility that he had completed the second decade of his life was minimal.

"I am your help for your project Aes Sedai. I am Arturus Logres. So what are we doing today?”

Again with the brush of his hair, this would either become sweetly endearing or irritating enough for her to call for a pair of shears. No, she wouldn’t do that. If she did then whatever would he do with his hands? I can think of few things. Stop it! He’s a child. Agreeing with the voice in her head, Shaneevae stepped forward and offered her hand in greeting, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Arturus.  I am Shaneevae el’Edware, Sister of the Brown Ajah and…….” Shaneevae stopped, inhaling deeply. “And you smell good enough to eat……like roasted pine nuts or…….gin.  Very nice.”  Giving him a wink she continued around the room gathering materials.

Indicating for him to follow, she began handing him tools as she rattled on about their day’s work.  They were transplanting trees. Yes, trees, not really large trees, but trees with at least five years growth.  Having prattled endlessly she realized that she’d weighted the young Arturus down with enough materials to move the entire Ogier grove.

“I suppose that will be enough.” She stated, laughing and rolling her eyes at her own ineptness.  “Good thing you’re strong and good with your hands or this could have been disastrous.  Come along young man, I have a wagon waiting just outside.”

Standing with her hands on her hips, she watched as the trainee loaded the wagon.  Now came the interesting part. Would he be offended if she drove?  Would it make him feel less the man or would he be thankful that he didn’t have to lead?  Bloody ashes, she’d drive. Dealing with the fragile male ego was not on her agenda for the day, she thought as she climbed into the seat.  “Climb on up here pretty.” She said patting the seat next to her, “We have a decent ride ahead of us.”

Shaneevae

Arturus finished loading the supplies and then a pack of his own. It had his bedroll, food, weapons, and various other things since no one told him how long this would last and it would be just like an Aes Sedai to keep him out for days at a time. He brought enough for her as well thinking that might be expected of him. In a burlap sack as round as a medium shield he had ashes from campfires for fertilizer. He had read that it was good for making stronger plants. When he finished he watched as Shaneevae climbed into the drivers seat on the wagon and turned red again as he realized what part of her he was watching.

“Climb on up here pretty.” She said patting the seat next to her, “We have a decent ride ahead of us.” she said.

Arturus regained his composure and met her stare. He had been told before his stare could make a heart beat but he didnt know about that. He grinned slightly and licked his lips, not realizing that could be taken multiple ways, but for him his mouth was just dry. "Anything to please you." He grabbed the side of the wagon and swung onto the seat in one deft movement, the seat was small and they were touching but he didnt seem to notice. Noticing that she had the reins however, he smiled. "I like women who are not afraid to take charge of things." He wasnt looking at her as he said it and instead was looking ahead. "It shows confidence."

As the wagon started in its jarring movement he knew the two of them would only take an hour of this at the most or else be suffering from sore muscles. Since the tearing of muscles was natural during any activity no healing would work. However, Arturus knew that he was a good masseuse and it would be wrong not to offer. This meant getting over the fact that she was attractive and very fast at that. He started by reasoning out a few good reasons in his head.

As soon as they were out of the yards of the tower he was thankful he had packed extra water skins. He removed one from his pack which he had behind his seat and offered first to Shaneevae. "Thirsty?" She turned her head and looked at him and the waterskin which made him a little uncomfortable. "I figured I  might want something to wet my tongue. I brought apple brandy too in case we are out there in the dark so we can keep warm."

Accepting the offered skin of water, she sipped at it delicately for all that was worth.  Several drops escaped her lips and ran down her chin pooling between her breasts. It seemed that at times it was all they were good for, a shelf.  Other people dusted their laps after a meal while Shaneevae dusted her bosom.  Handing the skin back to Arturus, she wiped at her chin and chest before speaking, “Thank you. The apple brandy will come in handy after a long day of labor.”

Snapping the reigns, she picked up speed once they crossed the bridge over the River Erinin. The sky was a bright clear blue and the day promised to be a lovely one with only wisps of clouds decorating the otherwise unmarred skyscape. By the time they arrived at their destination and set up camp it would be time for the noonday meal.  It would also be the hottest part of the day a fact that would delay their progress on the transplants.  Instead they would set up camp and wait for the sun to ease its rays. Digging up the trees in such could traumatize her little creations and she wasn’t willing to risk it.

“When we arrive we’ll spend most of the afternoon setting up camp and wait for the sun to begin its descent before starting with the trees.”  With that said Shaneevae realized that she had not asked the youth much about life prior to the Yard or his life in the Yard for that matter. “Arturus, do most people call you Art? Tell me a bit about yourself.”

Looking at her companion from the corner of her eye, she grinned. The boy looked as if she’d ask him to explain the meaning of life. This one was shyer than his eyes or lip licking would have led her to believe. Turning her head to face him, she smiled brightly in hopes of easing his discomfort.  “If it will make you feel better I’ll tell you a little about myself first.”  She grinned again when he looked at her with gratitude and a smile. Shaneevae’s breath caught briefly with the effect it had upon his face. It was in fact quite breathtaking, very powerful and almost…..sensual in its casualty. Her heart thumped sending a fine ache to the pit of her stomach.

“Oh dear,” she thought, swallowing the lump in her throat. Shaking her head, she hoped to dislodge the images that had appeared so suddenly and vividly. “I am of the Brown Ajah though I’m almost positive I’ve already mentioned that. Uhh……let’s see.” Refocus was necessary if she was going to sound like an intelligent woman and not a babbling fool idiot. Faking the stereotypical scatterbrained Brown, she bit her lip and let a vapid look glaze over her eyes.  Tilting her head, she said, “Well, let’s see. Where was I?” As if someone had just arrived home in the blue-green eyes, her eyebrows flashed, “Aww yes, well… while I do love books and the library, I feel that knowledge is what you make of it.  Knowledge is in every nook and cranny.  Knowledge can be found in life and life surrounds us.” She said with a wave of her hand indicating the nature surrounding them. “I don’t just read the tomes of the library. I investigate, test and conclude whether information is valid and whether it is worthy of taking up space in our great library. I’m a scientist, Arturus. I’ve been to the Blight.  I’ve dissected trollocs. I’ve been on many a battlefield with my comrades, but I don’t fight for the thrill.  I fight for the chance to learn.”

Shaneevae

Arturus listened patiently as Shaneevae told him... well more of her dedication to the pursuit of knowledge than actual life history but if she was willing to talk rather just order him around this might go smoothly after all. He was thankful she decided to talk first since he watched her drinking from the water skin and saw the escaping drops which brought images that would have made him unable to speak to her in the first place.

When she finished she turned and looked at him expectantly. With a deep breath he began.

"Well...my name is harsh on the tongue so you can call me whatever you want. I seem to get a lot of people calling me Arthur. As for my life well, I was raised in a minor noble house along the river west of Caemlyn. My father is Nathanol Logres, a sword trainer for the Queen's Guards. I have two older brothers so I wont be inheriting any of the family estate so instead my father dedicated my life to building my body to be a swordsman. I have years of development over the other trainees but I was taught little on how to use a sword. I ran away to be a warder one day I hope. Life as a trainee is ok during the day."

Arturus's eyes suddenly took a glazed look as he stared straight ahead.

"But at night its lonely and cold. Its easy to lose sight of what you are there for and many trainees have left for that reason. Men my age and much younger are already married and having children. Yet walking around the yard theres a mentality there that age means maturity. Even among the Aes Sedai who live hundreds of years and should know better. I can point out to you a dozen tower guards in their upper twenties who act like they are twelve and a dozen trainees younger than me who seem as though they have seen the world and raised a dozen children. But I am a trainee, and that makes me untouchable... had I stayed home I would be married myself."

Realizing he had made a bad comment about the Aes Sedai he snapped out of his trance. Shaneevae didnt seem to notice so Arturus gave her his best smile. It wasnt like him to pour his heart out like that and it made him more uncomfortable than he had been before he blabbered his mouth.

But I am a trainee, and that makes me untouchable... had I stayed home I would be married myself.

The wistfulness in his voice was tinged with a touch of bitterness, but more so sadness. She understood his feelings quite well and had lamented over the very same subject on more than one occasion. “No, I understand exactly what you mean and I do believe I owe you an apology.  I remember how absurd it was when I first came to the Tower.  I was eighteen, had been on the verge of marriage and had already known a man. How ridiculous it was to be called a child. It was infuriating to say the least. I still think calling a woman of thirty a child to be the most asinine thing, but I am guilty of it. Whether it be out of habit or simply a way to keep that imaginary line drawn.”

Twisting the reigns around her fingers, she continued, “I wonder if it’s simply the natural progression of things. I mean, whether age is relative to where you are in your life.  The older I get the more I realize just how young I was at that age.”  Patting his knee, she smiled. “I certainly mean no disrespect by that.  It’s not that I think the young are inept.  It’s more a feeling of how youth is wasted on the young. So much I wish I had done. Does that make sense?”  Shaneevae watched for his nod of understanding before rolling her neck to release the tension building.

Pursing her lips, she exhaled blinking in thought and wondering whether she should continue.  It wasn’t always best to reveal your whole heart and that was one piece of advice her mother had given that had always stuck with her, but she decided to proceed anyways. A glutton for punishment? Maybe. Free hearted and open?  Most definitely.

“I think I’m guilty of using child or boy simply to keep a distance.  I have to remind myself that I’m considered a superior to most.  Having this much power can go to your head sometimes, Arturus.  There is a tremendous amount of responsibility and influence with my position.  I have to remember that with my students, but you are not my student and my opinion will mean little in your quest and progression up the ranks.  Given that, I will do my best to not view you as such and from this moment forward give you the courtesy you are due. You are a man and I will treat you as such.”

Grinning mischievously, she added, “But please forgive me if I forget your name and call you, boy.  It’s not meant to be disrespectful.  It’s just that I ran out of room in this brain of mine a long time ago and I’d rather not lose anymore childhood memories.” A throaty laugh escaped full lips as she added with a wicked smile, “But Arturus is a lovely name. Perfect for purring out in intimate moments.”

Shaneeave

“But Arturus is a lovely name. Perfect for purring out in intimate moments.”

Arturus nodded in understanding, or more out of habit. "I wouldnt know. I have had few intimate moments and even less since I got here months ago. I had one kiss since arriving and only out of friendship. I had more at home but that only came because I had been learning massage. I was interested in how the body responds to pressure and texture. I would go with my father to Caemlyn and work out knots out of the guys training there in the queens guard, but at night the noble women would call on me. I developed quite a reputation among the noble women for what I could do with my hands... and tongue." Arturus blushed. "Thats where my few intimate moments came from."

He sat in awkward silence for a moment thinking before he spoke up again.

"As far as our talk on maturity. Maturity is dependent on ones sense of responsibility, ability to interact with others, desires in life, and a small part of ones interests. When searching for our mate we prioritize what is important to us which is why the tower guards I mentioned earlier who act like they are twelve still manage to find women who want them."

Arturus gave it some more thought. "Mutual attraction plays its part at first. For some thats enough although that baffles me. I dont think I could even have a fling with someone who couldnt hold a decent conversation before and after."

Arturus adjusted in his seat after a Shaneevae hit a particularly large rock and almost ended up on his lap. Even Arturus found it painful since he was caught off guard. It was good enough to break the intellectual mood and once again turn Arturus red. He hoped the heat was a good cover for it. To emphasize that it was in fact the heat he took another drink from his water skin and unconsciously licked the moisture from his upper lip while he stared ahead and capped the bottle. He felt Shaneevae's eyes on him the whole time. He turned to face her and met her gaze and smiled.

"I am sorry if I bored you. I tend to go too far in depth sometimes. I have bored away many a potential lover because of it....warm day isnt it?"

I developed quite a reputation among the noble women for what I could do with my hands... and tongue.

Normally sleepy eyes went as wide as saucers. Tongue. Dear Creator have mercy.  Did he really just say tongue? The entire world went silent except for the repetitive buzz of tongue in her ears. Eyes glazed with the image and heart thudding with the potential, she totally forgot where she was and hit a rut in the road the size of an Ogier. It jarred her so soundly and suddenly that she raised a good foot off the bench and practically landed in the tongue’s……err…..boy’s lap.

After gaining control of the team, Shaneevae dared a glance at the young man to her side. Dumbfounded, mesmerized, intrigued, all that and more crossed her face as she studied each move he made.  Full lips wrapped around the mouth of the skin. The gentle flick of his tongue as he licked the remaining water from his lips. The entire scene was fascinating. When he turned his gaze to hers and gave her that boyish smile, she actually had the grace to blush and that was a rare thing indeed.

I am sorry if I bored you. I tend to go too far in depth sometimes. I have bored away many a potential lover because of it....warm day isnt it?

The Brown Sister looked at him incredulously, “Bored? Not in the least.  Besides, I won’t even entertain the thought of taking a man to my bed if he cannot hold an intelligent conversation.”  She shuddered visibly to show her disgust of sleeping with the stupid. “Intelligence is required. Blood and bloody ashes, it’s practically foreplay!” She laughed so loudly at her own comment that she covered her mouth in embarrassment and since her reaction to the laugh was so absurd, she promptly burst into a fit of giggles forcing her to pull off to the side of the road. 

When her conniption was finally under control, she touched Arturus’ arm lightly and apologized, “Please pardon me for being so coarse.  I believe I’m setting a bad example of what an Aes Sedai should be today.” Merriment still danced in her eyes when she squeezed his well muscled arm and begged his pardon, “Excuse me while I go freshen up a bit.  It is rather hot today.”  And with that she slipped to the ground, stepped delicately over the stones in the small flowing creek and disappeared into the woods.

Shaneevae

Arturus smiled at Shaneevae's laugh. It was cute and he was happy he could make her laugh in the first place. As old as Aes Sedai get it must be harder to make them laugh. Another good memory to keep for the day he dies. While Shaneevae went off into the woods he kept an eye on her as long as he could. He was not her warder but he still felt obligation to watch out for her. He had to busy himself with watering the horses or else he knew he would go off and find her, even if he didnt let her see him do it. When the horses were watered he doused his own head in the water and combed back his hair with his fingers. He looked towards the woods where Shaneevae went and frowned. She still had not come back yet.

Arturus having figured out that this was a project that would take at least the night reasoned that he could enter the forest for firewood, and should he find Shaneevae in the process all the better. Using the skills he learned in the extra curricular classes he had taken in stealth he stalked through the forest with weapons on his person and a wood axe in his hand. He marked where he found wood suitable for a fire and picked up on Shaneevae's trail. Tracking he was not so good at however and it took him awhile as he lost the trail several times. But this worried him more as she had not come back down the path either.

As he came to where she obviously had went he heard light splashes of water and stopped. Maybe she was just taking awhile after all. He turned to walk away then stopped again. (Or maybe those were the last movements of her hands as she being choked to death by brigands.) There certainly was plenty of them around. Stalking slowly towards a bush that would provide sufficient cover he came closer to her, only seeing her hair by the water. It still could be brigands and his heart began to race that he may have guessed it. He was ten feet away now and the light splashes stopped though he could still see her hair by the water. He was scared and infuriated at the same time. What if she was dead because he took so long? Or what if she is just taking awhile? Either way was not good. Slowly he crept up and got a full view of her...

The trek was familiar as she picked her way through the brush and briars. Just over that hill and behind the huge leatherleaf was a widening bend in the creek, deep enough for wading.  Shaneevae topped the hill and stepped out into the sunlight. Grinning, she tilted her face towards the sun and stretched her arms high above her head allowing her spine to pop and the tightness in the small of her back a release.

It was a picturesque spot, one she’d been to before and she was pleased that her outburst had occurred at such an opportune time. Heading down the hill, a bounce in her step, she contemplated whether to simply wash her hands and face or to kick off her shoes and wade in the crystal coolness. The latter won out as she shed her shoes and pulled the hem of her skirt up and knotted it on the side.

Balancing precariously on one foot, she dipped a toe into the creek and verbally expressed her pleasure at the temperature.  Knowing that the rocks would be slick, she stepped gingerly across the flat creek stones until she found herself in the deepest portion of the wading pool. There were no large rocks only the smallest of pebbles and mud and the Brown sister took great pleasure in digging her toes into the sticky goo. One of the greatest pleasures in life was the texture and smell of earth.  Whether it be in sticky, tacky mud or the rich, pungent joy of well tilled soil, she was hooked. It seemed fitting that her strongest element was Earth for she felt a mystical pull to all things related to it.

Squatting down, her skirts pushed up around her thighs, she dug her hands until the muddy bottom of the creek, squishing it between her fingers with relish. She rubbed the coarse granules into her hands and up to her elbows, which would slough away the dry skin.  One day, she promised herself, she would cover her entire body in mud and reap the softening benefits that her hands and arms always did after such ministrations.

After rinsing the muck from her hands, she cupped her hands and splashed it upon her face and chest. The white of her bodice soaked through, but she paid it no mind. She could easily channel a bit of Air before she returned to the wagon and save both of them some embarrassment, but for now she enjoyed the water without a care in the world and with no knowledge of the eyes watching her childish display.

Shaneevae

Arturus watched as Shaneevae rubbed her hands in the mud of the creek. He was in a good spot for his task. A low hill that was topped with a thick bush. He would have clear cover all the way to the forest. Arturus retreated to the forest with a grin on his face. She was ok and that was enough. (Let her have her time.) he thought.

He retraced to the wood he had marked and set about his work. They werent the best cuts he had ever done and the work began to make him sweat so he removed his shirt. The pine soap began to become more powerful and he knew he would have to rinse before getting back on the wagon which was just within view.

When the pile of wood was sufficient he nodded and loaded it into the wagon and put the horses back with the wagon. He rinsed off in the creek water. First his shirt which he left in the water then splashed himself with the cold water all over his head and bare chest and back. As he went for a third coating of water he began to wonder to himself (Where is she? She is certainly taking her time.) He determined that if she didnt come soon he would hide the wagon and return to watching her until she was done.

Having climbed back out of the creek, Shaneevae picked up her shoes and tip toed back through the wood barefoot.  Her feet would be rough come nightfall, but she didn’t care. She’d learned long ago how to combat the pitfalls of her job.  A thick cream of vanilla and jasmine did wonders for dry hands rough from a day’s work.  Disdain ran strong for Aes Sedai that had become so lazy that they had to channel to pour their own tea. It was ridiculous the things they would use Saidar for instead of doing it themselves.  The Creator gave us hand to use, not to sit idly in our lap.  The pleasure of touch alone was enormous and she thoroughly enjoyed doing things with her own hands….

There he was shirtless with water beading upon the broad expanse of his back. Her hands itched to run the flat of her palms across the muscled shoulders and down the manly ‘v’ to his slender waist. Instead, she channeled a thick thread of Air and slapped him soundly on the bottom. He jumped and had his weapon pulled and was turned around facing her before he landed on both feet.

Shaneevae pressed her lips together to hide her mirth and forced a stern look upon her face. “Quit dawdling, boy we have business to be about.” The look upon his face was so confused that she had to let out a giggle that was bubbling just at the surface.  Winking, she stepped carefully over to him and patted him on his bare back.  “I’m just teasing Arturus. I just couldn’t resist myself.”

Truth was, she had to create some kind of distraction or she would have been running her hands down that strong back……that her hand was currently on.  How did that happen? Removing it quickly, she made her way over to the wagon and climbed in, shoes still in her hand.

“Arturus, would you mind taking the reins now?  We’ve only a half hour to go, but I’ve grown bored of driving.” Turning to him, she was puzzled by the look upon his face. Slack-jawed and eyes glazed over.  Her first thought was to touch her face and her second was to check her clothing to make sure nothing was askew.  That is when she realized that thread of Air to dry her bodice had never been channeled.

Shaneevae

Arturus watched Shaneevae as she circled around him. She was saying something but he didnt hear a word. His attention was elsewhere, namely the white wet bodice. He was thankful he wore baggy breeches. Unconsciously his tongue circled his lip in a particular pattern matching the image in his mind. He hastily put his shirt on when Shaneevae realized what he was staring at. He knew Aes Sedai could channel air to dry clothes, he also noticed that even though she realized what he was looking at she did not dry it still.

He didnt exactly get into the wagon in one swift motion this time. He let go too late as he swung up, which would have been ok had he not lost his grip and landed his knees on the floor board, face planting in her lap. He quickly sat up redder than he had ever been before and took his seat next to her trying his best not to touch her at all. He rested his right elbow on his lap and his head in his right hand and faced away from Shaneevae, not even wanting to see the expression on her face. If only to add to his embarrassment his stomach rumbled. He started to visibly shake in embarrassment but only for a few seconds before he regained his control. It felt like forever before he could talk again but it was only a couple minutes. (She is probably embarrassed herself... or mad... or geez she might think I was trying to force myself on her... better say something to smooth over the situation. She just went to wash up so...) he thought.

"You smell good." He then smacked his forehead realizing how that could be taken and closed his eyes.

"Better we get to those trees so we can get down and dirty." He smacked his forehead three times more not opening his eyes. "On the project I mean, down and dirty on the project because its tree roots and with the dirt and the...tree roots."

(Light where is a lightning bolt to put me out of my misery when I need one?)

What was done was done. He’d seen. She’d forgotten.  Did she hurriedly channel to dry the offending garments or should she just ignore it and let it go by the wayside.  Refusing to meet his eyes, she was taken unaware when his face ended up in her lap. A quick intake of breath and her mouth open wide in shock; she just sat there with her hands thrown up as if surrendering to brigands.

Arturus made quick work of finding his seat and making a very concerted effort not to touch any part of her person.  There was a horribly extended moment of awkward silence when he finally spoke, “You smell good.” One of her hands flew to her already open mouth making a popping sound and when he stammered out, “Better we get to those trees so we can get down and dirty.” She smacked her own forehead.

So they sat there neither looking at the other, neither speaking nor most assuredly neither touching. If she were not so embarrassed by her forgetfulness the entire scene would have been comical, but she was embarrassed.  Being the more experienced of the two, she felt obligated to break the deafening silence, “Okay, so I forgot.  I didn’t do it on purpose. I swear by the Creator, just as you didn’t plant your face in my lap on purpose.”  The Brown was rambling now, but she was on a roll and when she was on a roll a fist of trollocs couldn’t stop her.

“We’re both adults here.  I’ll dry my clothing and we can forget this entire thing happened.  I mean there is nothing to be ashamed of.  It’s perfectly natural to react that way to a woman in such disarray.  I myself was just imagining you…….”  She closed her mouth quickly and tightly. Shut up, Shaneevae! “I mean…uh…um…yea…you know what I mean.”  And with those last idiotic words she covered her face with both hands and started to laugh.

Shaneevae

Arturus smiled as Shaneevae laughed. "You were imagining me huh? I would be a liar if I said I wasnt thinking of you in the same way or didnt enjoy the face plant, accident as it may be." He gave her the warmest smile he could, finally the embarrassment was gone. The whole situation was comical after all. He didnt notice as his shoulders slumped and he relaxed, he didnt even notice his arm as it rested lightly across her leg. Shaneevae was still laughing and he laughed a little himself. "I am glad you can laugh at this. I was about to die of embarrassment." Shaneevae stopped laughing. A smile across her red face and tears in her eyes. "Well you have made my year Shaneevae Sedai and given me one more good memory."

He got the horses moving and added. "You dont need to dry off. It is quite warm in this heat and I am sure the moisture feels good. I wont look since it makes you uncomfortable."

They sat in silence for a few seconds but he could still feel her eyes on him. A quick glanced showed she was still smiling and that was good. "Can I ask if you dont mind?... what you were thinking of... why didnt you do it?" Embarrassment settled on him again and he could not look at her. "Just for information purposes... if I knew what stopped you maybe I can make sure it wont stop the next woman."

His voice settled into a quiet tone and his eyes glazed over as he was some place else for a moment. But barely audible to Shaneevae, though she wasnt meant to hear it, nor was he aware he was saying it out loud. "I wish you wouldnt have stopped yourself."

Can I ask if you dont mind?... what you were thinking of... why didnt you do it?

The red flush that had started to recede crept back up her chest and neck.  How would she explain to him the thoroughly improper thoughts she’d been having about him only minutes before?  Of course, it would be easy to just laugh it off and be done with it, but when he voiced so quietly his wish that she wouldn’t have stopped, she knew he deserved an explanation, but not now. The entirety of it was too fresh.

“Not now, Arturus. I promise you that when we settle for the night, sitting by the camp fire after a day’s work and sipping the apple brandy you so thoughtfully brought, I will tell you.  I promise, but not now. Dwelling on it right now could prove…….” She searched for the right word, “Inconvenient.”  There, that word would do even if dangerous was more appropriate.

Squeezing his knee briefly, she smiled at him, “Fair enough?” He nodded his acceptance and turned his attention back to the road.  The rest of the journey was filled with silence or random comments about the weather and scenery.  It wasn’t long before she was giving him detailed directions about which road to take and when to move off the road entirely. When they pulled into a clearing by the swollen river, she felt the tension in her shoulders relax, content to be in familiar surroundings. 

It didn’t take long for them to unload the supplies and for Shaneevae to show him where to place her tent, a deep green monstrosity that while wasn’t exactly pleasing to the eye served its purpose admirably. It was rather large and would easily sleep four people and the Brown could even stand upright in the center though most could not and neither would Arturus.  It was made of the sturdiest of canvas, which made it excellent at repelling all sorts of weather.  It didn’t hurt that she’d laid a special weave to it years ago to increase its efficiency. 

“Arturus, if you would be so kind as to finish setting up camp, I’ll go prepare the trees.” He nodded his head very formal like and Shaneevae tilted her head inquisitively. Shrugging her shoulders, she turned to go, but remembered something and turned back around. “And please help yourself to some lunch there in my bags. Bread, cheese, fruit. Help yourself and then come find me.  All should be ready by then.”

The small grove was just over a small grassy knoll and reaching the crest she surveyed the meadow below.  A little more than a dozen dogwoods stood six feet tall with a diameter she could wrap her hand around easily enough.  By most standards they were still saplings, but dogwoods were thin, wiry ornamentals and slow growing at that. 

The river had meandered quite significantly since she’d last been here and it was definitely encroaching too far inland for the well-being of her hybrids.  Shaneevae walked silently through the trees, caressing each one as she considered the best way to approach the task at hand. Kneeling next to the first tree, she embraced Saidar and wove fine braids of Earth deep into the ground.  She could feel as they tenderly stroked the roots, winding and lacing as she measured the circumference of the ball. Satisfied with her figures, she used an Air razor to draw a circle in the ground around the tree indicating where the trench should be dug.  Patting the tree, she smiled and moved onto the next one.

By the time Arturus came over the hill with tools in tow, Shaneevae was on the fourth tree, she looked up from her knelt position on the ground and smiled brightly at him.  “I hope you ate well, but most of all I hope you brought that water with you.”  Standing she brushed her dirty hands upon her skirt and went to meet him half way.

Shaneevae

“I hope you ate well, but most of all I hope you brought that water with you.”

Arturus flashed a quick grin before setting the tools on the ground and handing one of the three water skins he brought with him. He walked over to the dogwoods and for a moment lost himself in examining them. Gently he caressed the leaves and bark looking for breaks and placed where the bark was scraped off by local wildlife. He frowned when he found a broken branch and thick as his thumb and the look on his face was as though looking upon a child with a broken arm. A look of sadness and concern. He quickly pulled out a strip of cloth he had cut in camp, as though time was running out, and  gently set the branch right and wrapped it thoroughly. Any parts that he found that were not right with the tree the same look of concern was upon his face as though tending to the wounds of his own child with touches just as gentle. Strange for a man who swings a blade meant to kill. Shaneevae inspected the work and smiled, amused at him though he ignored it and pretended not to notice. Searching every tree one more time he nodded, satisfied at his work.

When he finished he asked "Have you decided where to move them?"

Shaneevae nodded and led him up river. There were some rocky falls and a natural wall of earth which would keep the trees from some of the wind. Digging into the earth Arturus found the soil was black and lightly watered from the water bouncing off the rocks far enough in land to water the ground lightly. Even with an engorged river they would be protected by the rocks serving as a wall and a slight incline of the land. There were traces of clay in the soil that the trees would use, for what Arturus had not read far enough to find out. But you can grow trees in sand if the clay was there he knew. Shaneevae had picked a perfect spot.

It took both of them to dig out one tree at a time because of how careful they were being not to damage the roots. Rather than wrapping them in burlap and moving them all at once Arturus moved one at a time, carrying the heavy plants and the dirt around the roots wrapped in the burlap was hard. He was a good sized man and thought of using the cart but he had already taken care of the horses for the day, so he had to use his own strength. Shaneevae actually looked like she felt sorry for him and gave him encouraging comments though he just returned them with a smile.

By the time it was too dark to be able to see the roots and would start to get unsafe to bathe he stopped working.

"I need to bathe." The look on Shaneevae's face said that she was surprised he had not stopped long ago and after all that he had done he didnt ask for breaks or food and rarely water. He just wanted a bath.  Shaneevae nodded and the two of them went back to camp, idly talking about the trees and planning the next day the whole way. When he arrived at camp he grabbed his hygiene equipment and checked the soup he had started that morning with just the smallest of fires which were now coals. It was cooking slower than he thought and they would have to wait. Shaneevae however seemed surprised he had started at all. He was starting to think she might be suspecting he was a house wife instead of training to be a warder. Tossing a few sticks in the fire he started towards the river, gear in tow.

The scene at the camp was heartwarming, a soup cooking, everything in order and oddly she started to wonder how she’d ever survived without him.  If she were free to, she’d marry that boy.  She could use a good wife or maybe just a good warder. Shaking her head, she dismissed that thought. Having someone in her mind would be disturbing to say the least. Taking his cue she gathered up her own necessities and headed in the opposite direction.  There was a darling hot spring just over a couple of rises and while she should feel guilty for not sharing this tad bit of information with him, she didn’t.  Her body hurt, hands rough, thighs aching, shoulders tense and her lower back hurt so that she could cry. A hot soak, the jasmine and vanilla scented soap and a clean shift would have her feeling better in no time.

The hot springs was nestled among a huge copse of trees, the canopy thick, but thin enough to let some of the star and moonlight through. Channeling a small thread of Fire, she lit the lantern she’d brought with her and slipped from her filthy clothing.  As she lowered her body into the bubbling water, she moaned with the pleasure of it.  Immediately she felt the tension melt from her neck and while her lower back still hurt like the dickens it was on its way to recovery.

Half an hour later, she’d washed her hair and was leaning back into the water letting the long locks float upon the surface.  Shaneevae knew she should be making her way back, but she was loathe to leave the endless supply of steaming water. Just a few more minutes she thought as she allowed her body to float, the tips of her breasts breaking the surface. There was something magical about being bathed in moonlight and if she could, she would sleep in that very spot with the stars twinkling overhead and the springs as her blanket.  Sighing her regret, she dragged her worn out body out. If they had to stay another night, she’d tell him of the hot springs tomorrow.

With her hair freshly braided and hanging over her shoulder, she slipped on the ivory shift, long billowy sleeves and a hem the fell to her ankles was decent enough and she’d be damned if she put that corset back on tonight just maintain propriety.  Slipping on her shoes, she made her way back to camp, finding Arturus bent over the fire.  She smiled sweetly and after putting her belongings away, she sat down upon a blanket before the fire. “Is there anything I can do?”

Shaneevae

Arturus felt the cold of the river and felt invigorated. It was nice after a hot day. It did nothing for his sore muscles but he would not show those when he returned to camp. He climbed out and made sure he was dry and slipped on the loose fitting long sleeve linen shirt. He didnt bother with the laces. He slipped into a pair of loose breeches, black like the ones he had worn earlier.

He walked back to the camp and immediately set about making sure the stew was right. He had been punished to cook for the Mistress of Trainees for a couple months and so had more than a little skill, and a good supply of salt, garlic, and crushed pepper corns which he added to the thick stew. Already it was getting cold and his breath began to turn into frost. He was surprised it happened this early and this quickly. Thinking of the sudden drop with the days heat meant one thing, a possible storm, a big one too if it happened, but it may not happen at all if they were lucky. Just the same he took precautions with Shaneevae's tent and with the horses and supplies. He even went back to the trees to tie them off to strong poles of hastily cut wood. He then returned and finished the stew by adding a bit more salt and crushed pepper corns. The scent of garlic, rice, and chicken made his stomach growl. A few minutes later Shaneevae returned.

“Is there anything I can do?”

Arturus grinned. "If there was, what kind of help would I be?" Without a word when he was satisfied with the stews progress, he rose from the fire while pulling a few salves from his pouch and walked behind Shaneevae. Her shock only lasted a moment as he began to rub the soothing salves into her aching arms and shoulders. He used no salves on her back since her shift was in the way and instead used just his hands. When he gave her a good work over he sat across from her with the fire in between them.

When Arturus walked over and began rubbing her shoulders her eyes widened in surprise, but soon she found herself relaxing and giving into the firmness of his hands.  Shaneevae sighed repeatedly as he worked at her sore muscles. Light, but she needed to get her one of these. When he stopped she pouted her disappointment and watched him walk to the other side of the fire.

Chuckling, she leaned forward and poked at the fire with a stick she’d found laying at her feet, “You know, I may just have to find me a man like you.  I could use this kind of care on a regular basis.”  Shaneevae winked and tucked her knees up under her shift leaning her chin on them.  He smiled and she just watched him, studying the fine cut of his jaw-line and the way his dark hair framed his face.  He really was a beautiful man.

“You know, Arturus. You were a tremendous help to me today.  They certainly chose the right man for the job.  Thank you so much.  I’m not sure I could have done it without you.”  Before he could respond her stomach growled. Shaneevae began to whistle feigning innocence, but her stomach ruined it by growling even louder the second time. 

Laughing, she proclaimed, “I’m half starved to death. Tell me that supper is done.  It smells divine and it just occurred to me that I haven’t eaten all day.”  Arturus smiled and checked the stew announcing that it was fit for consumption he dished them each a bowl out. Rifling through his bags, Shaneevae ate and before he’d even taken the first bite, she was spooning out another bowl.

“This is excellent." she said between bites.  "You know what would go good with it?” Flashing her eyebrows she grinned mischievously, “Apple brandy.”

Shaneevae

At the mention of the Apple Brandy Arturus grinned and pulled out the bottle he had managed to obtain through certain wheeling and dealings. "You will be hard pressed to find a warder who does what I do unless he is Shienaran. For such a people who dont believe in peace because they have never had it they know how to treat their women. I myself am half and my mother made sure I kept up that part of my culture."

He produced two mugs and filled them both half way, not knowing what she could take. He walked over and handed on to her and walked back to his place to start on his bowl of stew. Inside he was preparing to hear her reasons for holding back, he knew he was in for a let down, he just wished she didnt have to be so beautiful. It would be much easier were she not so attractive. The brandy was good for relaxing him and when he finished the first glass he was prepared to hear that she would sooner bed a dozen trollocs than kiss him. He made sure she was done eating before he brought it up.

"So you promised to tell me why you held back... just for learning purposes. I hold no illusions that I meet your standards or anything so dont sugar coat it. I guarantee that whatever you say your reasons are I have heard worse in my days. But I have to learn from you on this because I dont want to have this conversation with the next beautiful woman I encounter. Its bad enough that one found reasons to hold back today."

His heart raced. Such a simple thing for some to call someone beautiful but so difficult for him. Just the same he knew she would want to hear it. What woman wouldnt? He looked her in the eyes and smiled assuringly. She might be afraid she was going to hurt him. (She probably will.) He thought. But he would not show it. He would simply nod and change the conversation for a little while before retiring to his bed roll. He hoped it was not going to storm. He had used the canvas tent he had brought for himself to make a makeshift shelter for the horses. It was too far away for Shaneevae to see it and he did that on purpose. He would be in the rain and he didnt want her to pity him. Just the same he was sure the rain would fit his mood after this.

Sipping the brandy, she was surprised when he brought up her promise from earlier in the day.  No, she wasn’t surprised, but she had been dreading it.  It was a difficult thing to discuss one’s weaknesses and shortcomings about something so blatantly carnal, but she had promised him and she wouldn’t renege on a promise.

But I have to learn from you on this because I dont want to have this conversation with the next beautiful woman I encounter. Its bad enough that one found reasons to hold back today.

Shaneevae couldn’t help, but smile. So, he thought she was beautiful. Well, the feeling was mutual. Downing the remaining contents of her cup, she stood and retrieved the bottle from his side. Pouring the liquor to the brim, she sat down a little closer to him than she had been before, not touching, but close enough that she could touch him if she needed to.

Taking another large drink, she exhaled sharply trying to find the words to explain her reasoning without sounding like a well and true lightskirt.  “When I saw you standing by that stream with no shirt my first impulse was to run my hands across your shoulders, trail down your back and around the cut of your waist. The water beaded upon you begged for my mouth and yet I could not.” 

Hiding behind her cup, she continued, “You asked why I stopped.  I stopped because if I had started I wouldn’t have been able to stop.” The Brown could feel the blush beginning to spread across her chest.  “I am a woman of voracious appetites, a woman of voracious appetites that has been without a man for far too long.”

Emptying her cup, she sat it by her feet and turned to face him. She hesitated before taking his chin in her hand and forcing him to meet her eyes. “You are a beautiful young man, Arturus. Seeing you today caused the basest of reactions in me. Reactions that I know are natural, part of life and part of who I am.  All I wanted to do was to touch and taste….taste and touch you.” She licked her lips unconsciously with the memory of his flesh. For what seemed like the dozenth time this day, she blushed. Regaining her composure she raised her gaze to his once again.

She couldn’t read his eyes. It was one of the first times in her life that she wasn’t able to read a man’s eyes. Brushing her thumb softly across his jaw-line, she searched them desperate for any information the stormy orbs would give her. Her voice was soft when she spoke the next words, “I have very little self-control when it comes to matters such as these. Unlike others I cannot kiss and touch without it going further. So.”  She shrugged, “I try very hard not to even start.”

“Besides,” she said dropping her hand and turning to stare into the flames. “I’m afraid I would be taking advantage of you.”

Shaneevae

Arturus's heart raced. (She denied herself because she would want more.) It was getting colder outside, even with the fire, but Arturus hardly noticed as he placed a hand on her leg. It was enough to get her to turn and that was what he wanted. He smiled at her, to assure her it was alright. He felt her shake under his hand. Something inside him wanted to rip her clothes off but instead he was gentle as he caressed her leg and leaned in closer to her. Taking her chin in his hand  with their lips on inches from each other, he whispered. "Shaneevae... sometimes its ok to take advantage... of whats offered to you freely."

Their lips met and his left arm went under hers as she went limp. His hand gently caressed her thigh though he was still respectful, but it was enough pressure to give a tickle and tingling sensation that would make her tremble if she allowed him to continue. The kissing continued, gently until the beast within took over and he pulled her close, immediately going back to being gentle when she was on his lap. He kissed her neck and caressed the curves of her body, she needed the courage to go on as much as he needed it to start. Every touch and light kiss was placed so to make fireworks in her head and butterflys in her stomach and below. Every movement he made to draw the primal side of her out to overcome any fear she might still have. When she tried to rip his shirt off he stopped to look at her, knowing he had succeeded. He gave his lips one last lick, his promise to her.

Shaneevae... sometimes its ok to take advantage... of whats offered to you freely.

When the fullness of his lips brushed hers, she began to tremble.  The heat of his mouth melted into hers and she couldn’t help, but moan with pleasure of it.  His hand caressed her leg, kneading the softness of her inner thigh. Flames ran from his touch to the pit of her stomach causing her femininity to clench in anticipation. The deeper the kisses became the more she forgot. Forgot who she was and who she was with, just this beautiful man touching her, invoking desire and heat with his touch.

Sucking his bottom lip into her mouth, he growled and lifted her to his lap where she could finally press her body tightly to the form she had admired throughout the day.  And with that thought she remembered the masculine beauty of his chest and without another care she tried to free him from the confines of his shirt. When he stopped her hands, she looked up at him confused by his actions. Those gray eyes were stormy with need and she felt a distinct tightening across her breasts when he licked his lips in promise.

Determined to touch the naked flesh of his finely muscled body, she straddled his lap.  Her movement pressed her tightly against his desire and her head lolled back with a needy groan.  His face plunged into the exposed flesh of her neck and she laced her fingers at the nape pulling his mouth forcefully to her throat.  With desire coursing through her blood, she wrapped her legs tighter about his waist making their position even more intimate. When she pushed him back his face held surprise and a small portion of fear, but when she gave him a feral grin and began pulling his shirt over his head the look disappeared.

With her hands splayed across his chest, she touched and tasted what she had envisioned all day and it was sweeter than she could have imagined. Lost as she was, she barley heard the call of a night owl, but on its second hoot, she froze. Stumbling to her feet, she straightened her clothes hastily and pushed the stray hairs that had loosened from her braid from her face.

“Arturus.” She whispered, her voice shaky as she moved to put some more distance between them. “I am sorry.  I should not have let it go this far.”

Shaneevae

Wanton to the Extreme ;D