DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Knife Point Confessions

Arette

Watching as Aramina took her oaths, Lillian could feel a squeeze around her heart.  Aramina never had any reason to expect this, and she had hated the fact that Aramina had forced her to restrain her older sister, but she'd recognised what the woman was about to do, even if she hadn't been thinking clearly about it.  In worried Lillian though, she had seen Aramina time and time again with her calm composure, something that was more and more absent as Aramina retook each of her oaths.  There would be a reckoning after this, Lillian was sure of it as she knew that Aramina would not take this lightly, but Lillian was sure that it was nothing that couldn't be fixed.  Well, she hoped that it could be.

She didn't even notice the Oath Rod slipping from Aramina's hand as she gave her final oath.  Closing the distance between the pair of them even as Annais caught the rod with a weave of air, Lillian simply threw her arms around her sister and held her tight, even though Aramina didn't respond.  "I'm sorry, I couldn't believe you were but we had to be certain, too much depends on it."

No response from Aramina, and as Lillian broke away from her friend she could tell that the woman was angry underneath, her walls were up now.  Whatever Aramina was going to say to her, it wasn't going to be nice and Lillian wasn't sure if having an audience for such an exchange could even be called remotely wise.  Looking to Annais, Lillian's voice was subdued as she spoke.  "Perhaps it would be best if you were to speak to Maegan while I inform Aramina in turn about the recent developments along with the older history?"

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

It was done, Aramina's innocence had been proven. Annais knew that she should have now been all reconciliatory and explain to her why it had been done and how she hadn't really believed that her Keeper was one of them. But she just couldn't. She didn't want to deal with anything anymore right then. She wanted her bed and the small comfort of sleep and maybe a friendly presence there to bring her safety. And that someone was not Aramina. Lillian's words offered her an escape and she eyed the White greatfully. "Yes, that sounds like a good idea Lillian. Go ahead and speak with Aramina in private. And good luck", she added wryly as she knew how tough nut the Green could be. She was back at her shell just as deeply as she had been with Natalie except that now she wasn't just passive but she lashed out. What would come of this?

"Thank you for everything." And not, she thought quietly. Knowledge had certainly brought alot of pain and worry in this case but ignorance would be far more dangerous. She had no words for Aramina as she would likely say something that she would regret and the didn't woman spare her even a glance as she exited with Lillian behind her.

Annais let out the deep sigh that she had been holding and slumped down on the sofa. She brought her fingers to the bridge of her nose and closed her eyes. "That went really well, didn't it, Mae? Splendid work, Annais. You just managed to alienate your Keeper. Do you think that Lillian will be able to talk some sense to her? Light, I feel like I don't even know the whole woman anymore. For some time I thought that I did and now this. You heard what she said to me."

Opening her eyes, Annais turned to look intently at Maegan. "But you're not angry at me anymore, are you? Please say that you aren't. I could really use a friend tonight. I'm afraid to go to sleep again."

Annais Nevell

The Amyrlin Seat

Guest Arie Ronshor

Maegans silence left little notice to the other women in the room. Concerns over the Green Keeper had only heightened the senses and the tension betwen both Annais and Lillian. Unaquainted with the woman, Maegan had only just started following the various sisters of the Tower. And Aramina was reluctantly a mystery. There were whispers of an affair, whispers of a close friendship to the former Amyrlin -which made Maegan cringe at the very thought-, whisper after whisper without anything concrete. Maegan could not more tell anything of the woman than she could have a newly petitioned Novice. The fact that she was now the Keeper of Chronicles -Her keeper of Chronicles!- made the woman a greater mystery.

::Gentle, Mae. You can not solve every mystery. Some are not meant to be solved.::

The flickering in the woman's eyes, her defensive nature nearly gave cause for her to physically frown, instead she looked on her impassively while her mind whirled. ::She has something to hide. Something worth her life.:: But even then she knew that Aramina was no Black Sister. But how far from becoming one was she? It left much to question and bonder, but it could be for anouther day. today had been far too long and it was starting to grate fiercely on her and although her physical body was tiring fast, her mind was twisted and strung tighter than the very oaths on her bones. Perhaps it was only the Oaths tightness that kept her still sitting up straight and Maegan was reluctant to leave the comfort of the richly cushioned chair in the Amyrlin Quarters. For all the pains of the day, the toils and arguements, at least she knew there was some respite. Annais, Lillian and Aramina were not of the Black Ajah and Maegan now had Allies she could trust. Although Aramina had a bit of earning to do yet, but in time, the woman will prove strong. It was all there. But until Maegan could put her finger on what bothered her of Aramina, she was still to be kept at a distance.

As Lillian and Aramina left the room, even Maegan allowed herself a sigh to help relieve the tension in her chest. She gave Annais a warm smile, one that for once reached her eyes. "I am not angry. It has been a long day, far longer than most, and my mannerism was not at it's best." There was nearly a flinch at the admission. Showing weakness was not allowed given her station, but to Annais, at least she was still human. "And do not be hard on yourself, Annie. You held up quite well and did not give up. Aramina will be fine as she is in good hands. Lillian is very good for comfort. Do you mind?" Maegan reached for the empty glass on the table. Annais shock her head. Standing, her legs nearly giving out on her, Maegan walked over to where she suspected the rich spirits were kept and filled the glass and anouther 2 for Aramina and herself. Weaving the one glass over to Annais she returned back to her seat, nearly slamming back half the glass. Savouring the rough rich liquid as it scoured down her throat bursting warmth into her chest that alleviated more tension.

Maegan stared into her glass, no longer hiding the frown on her face. "You will always be a friend of mine, Annais, even if you were a Black Sister. I would do anything in my power to save you and bring you back to me. And I know that you would never give away my secret, but, I just had to be sure." Maegan turned to Annais. "After these past years, and then today with the Black Tower and a sorting out an enraged Ajah. Do you have any idea how much hatred your degree about the Black Tower has caused among my sisters? I was threatened to be Shadow, A traitor, I nearly lost my seat and my ability to channel. I could have been stilled by my very own sisters and sent from the Tower and none would have been the wiser. The posibility of it to happen was miniscule, but it was still there. And now this.." Maegan shut her eyes for a moment, pulling in her emotions from her admission. "No Annie, I do not hate you. I love you like a sister and I could never be angry with you for long.And I'm sorry I put you through this, but I will not take it back. I needed the facts, I needed to know that there was still at least some justice, some reason for me to still be here."

There was a tilt to Maegan's smile, one that could have been intuprted as near evil or malicious, but Maegan's eyes were nearly filling with tears of deep sadness. She sipped from her glass that was otherwise forgotten. "And now I've hurt Lillian. She is too young, far too young, to know things like this. I always knew she could not be and I did not wish to burden her, and now the woman hates me. All because of my pride."

Maegan Ryanne

The Highest

Feeling rather low..

• 3 weeks later...

Maegan's genuine smile that lit her whole face and eyes was returned in a kind. She wasn't angry anymore and Annais was more than happy. She didn't have the energy to start patching friendships and relationships after such an revelation. She was still reeling from it all but she would have to recover as the next day she needed to present an unfaltering facade again. And not just to the women of the White Tower but the the Asha'man too. But it would last only a few days. Then they would be gone for now, all of them, including Brent. And she most definately didn't want to think on him now. Not when she was afraid to be alone. She would lean on Mae just like always before. Men came and went but friends always stayed. And her and Brent's history was barely one step when compared to the path she and Mae had already walked together. Mae was much better comfort indeed. Unless she embarrassed herself again like she had with Mia. Mae wouldn't understand, not after her captivity in the Black Tower. Annais was glad of the darkness that hid the colour on her cheeks.

Praise from her friend was always welcome even when she wasn't certain how well she had really dealt with it all. She accepted gladly the glass the Red offered to her and chuckled quietly at the ease she found the brandy. Annais' weak spot for good spirits wasn't exactly a secret and she always had a stash available. "Cheers", she called quietly as she threw down the amber liquid. It was such perfect medicine for anxiousness and warmed one from inside.

She was quite shocked to hear Mae say that they would be friends even if she had been a Black. But when she thought of it, she would have done the same for Mae, tried to bring her back to Light even though something would have been deeply damaged in her trust to the other woman. Even more astounding was Mae's confession of the trouble in her Ajah. If only Annais could make things easier for Mae but she had no power over the Red Ajah. But the Red Ajah was supposed to want to help the male channelers. Or so at least most of its Sisters wished to be seen despite their image to the rest of the world as man haters. If the Reds were so resentful, how badly had the other Ajahs reacted? Her chest constricted with worry. She would need to find out. But what could she do about it? If someone decided to do something stupid, it might endanger what had been achieved with the Black Tower so far.

"I am sorry to hear that", she said quietly. "It is wrong of your Sisters to blame you for all of it. You were sent to the Black Tower by the Hall." Which Mae admittedly was part of herself. "And a lesser consensus of the Hall accepted the decree, not just you. Ten Sitters share the 'blame' beside you. And your Sisters have no right to threaten you with Stilling", her voice was unyielding steel. "Only the Hall can decide that and the day they deem you a traitor, the Shayol Ghul freezes. You should assign those bitches a private penance." It would give much personal satisfaction but ruin the situation even further. She sighed. "Not my advice as a Gray Sister but an outraged friend speaking."

"And you have no need to apologize, of course you needed facts and to see the proof before your eyes. I demanded the same from Lillian and I don't think that Aramina will settle for our word either. But I am sure that Lillian handles it. And is is nonsense that Lillian hates you. She understands, Mae. We are allies, all four of us. And you and Lillian know each others from way before this and that will carry your through it."

She fell silent for a moment and they both sat there, brooding at their empty glasses. Finally Annais broke the silence. "I am so glad that you stayed, Mae. It would have been awful to be alone and I am happy that it is you here with me. Are you afraid? I am deathly frightened and I don't want to be alone. Will you stay over?" A sudden vivid image bloomed in her mind and she begun snickering. "Oh Mae, imagine if someone saw you emerging from my room the next morning. Such rumours it would start. 'The Amyrlin has a pillow friend.' 'I knew it all along.' 'Oh that shameless Red, trying to curry favours with doing such favours.' or 'Damn that Mother, so that is how she secured the Red Ajah votes for her.' Are you sure that your reputation could take that, my dear?", Annais teased.

Annais Nevell

Amyrlin Seat

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Arie Ronshor

Maegan refrained from commenting on Annais outburst about her Ajah. It was true that such a thing would likely need to go through the Hall. But what needed to go through the Hall did not always go through the Hall. An Ajah secret not worth delivering, it would hardly have been the only time that the sisters of the Red Shawl step out and take matters of discourse into their own administration of justice. Even the Amyrlin previous to Annais had done that as the Hall would have not been so, gentle, with such matters.

Perhaps it was the hour, or maybe pure amount of exhaustion that threatened to have her crash then and there, either or brought about a fit of childish giggles from Maegan's lips. The day had been long and hard and the relieved tension had been much needed as her giggles escalated along with Annais'. "Should we make a plan of it than? A night in each others room sneaking in and out at odd hours. Perhaps whisper of secret rendezvous in a Novice's ear." Clutching her stomach as it started to ache from her giggles. "Perhaps send gifts of sweet buts and unsealed notes as we might have done in times past."

Maegan flashed Annais a grin. "It is good to have you back, my friend. I have sorely missed your company and your keep. It would do  me honour to spend a night with you." Her hand held Annais'. "I would not wish to be alone this night knowing you also knew..." There was little need for her to complete her sentence. Looking to Annais, she knew they were of the same understanding on the matter. Comfort was rare for women such as them. Even the comforting embrace of a sister would not hold the strength that Maegan felt from Annais. Secrets kept for far too long and without reprise, Maegan felt a great burden released and a sense of safety wash over her. Perhaps it was Annais' way of making her feel at home in her own skin. Could it also have been from the release of information that she had given, or that now she was no longer alone. To have someone there at her back to help her fight a battle of the unseen and the unknown. Maegan no longer thought that it mattered. She had her best friend for an ally. That was what now mattered.

"Let us lie on the bed," Maegan stood, stretching a little. "We may fall asleep here and then no one would think the worse of us if we were barged in on." A glint of humor in her eyes, "At least in the bedroom we will have warning to come out unclothed."

As Annais lead the way, anouther thought occurred to her. "I had not the chance to inquire, however, of Estel Sedai after she fled the Tower. I was told you were the one that.. subdued her. What happened?"

Maegan Ryanne

The Highest

• 2 weeks later...

Annais could count the times Mae had giggled during their long friendship with fingers of two hands and the delightful sound made her laugh hard until she held her sides. Laughter did her a wealth of good after the stresses of the day. "You know that I am always up for evil plotting. That would be so much fun, planting rumours. It is better that you take the control of your reputation because if you don't make up the stories, others will. So sneaking out and sending gifts and notes it will be."

She smiled brightly at Mae's words and stroke the back of her hand as the Red took hold of hers. "And ditto, Mae. I have missed you too." Good friendships lasted separation and you could pick up from where you left off without a pause. "However, I have not missed your snoring and poking me in the ribs like you did when we were roomies", Annie added with an insolent grin. "But I still adore you."

"And yes, bed sounds perfect and most indecent. Although I would be too tired to do anything naughty even if the most droolable hunk in the world apparated in front of me." It was worrying that the first image of sexy man that came to her mind was Brent. She would have to analyse it later as her brain was near dead.

Mae's question made her almost groan as the embrace of slumber couldn't be obtained immediately. But they needed to do a bit of channeling anyway or they would really feel the effects of the Oaths the next morning. "Could I offer you Healing first and get the same in return first?", Annais asked with a hopeful tone. "My skin feels so awfully tight that I feel like bursting every time I move. Even clothes feel uncomfortable. How can I sit tomorrow?" It was an effort to reach Saidar but she managed to channel the needed trickle to ease Mae and sighed gustily with relief when the worst pressure of her skin was leviated.

"Poor Estel was in a state where she could barely comprehend her surroundings. The snapping of her Bond effected her badly. She tried to jump out of the window of the Amyrlin's Study and that's when I had to put her to sleep. I could get some of the story out of her but it was all a jumble. Have you been to see her since? But it might be better to save the topic for the morning." She smiled sleepily and yawned deeply.

Annais Nevell

Amyrlin Seat