DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mission Accomplished (attn: Sana)

Arette

Blood and bloody ashes, being a noble wasn't at all fun anymore in Sahra's opinion. The charm had started to fade quickly under the watchful eye of the two Aes Sedai who demanded that she controlled her behaviour all the time. She was supposed to act and speak all collected and not express much emotions or anything. Light, the noble men and women were so boring that sometimes it wasn't hard to be calm as she was at the verge of dozing off. They spoke of frivolous topics like clothes, dances, hawking and who had done what and she didn't know half the people they nattered about. Likely they considered her as boring as she didn't have much to contribute to their 'discussions'. But she really tried, it was just like they didn't speak the same language. Everything was so very veiled and flowery that she felt like a blunt country bumpkin every time she opened her mouth. So she didn't very much.

The only times she came alive were when she was dancing or riding even though she tried to guard being too energetic. It felt so good to be able to do something physical and even though she would have prefered livelier and wilder dances, the rapid and complex steps gave her pleasure. What galled her the most was that she was unable to excercise. She was afraid that she would grow lax and out of practice and that she wouldn't be much use even on the mission soon. And she missed Sana. Of course they spent alot of time together daily as he posed as her bodyguard but she was supposed to be all lady-like and proper around him. No chatting and joking with a servant. She wasn't a happy Sahra indeed.

She wanted the bloody assassin to make their move already so that she could finish the mission with honour and get back to Tar Valon where she belonged. This really wasn't her world. Even the beautiful garden and fresh night air weren't able to shake her out of her funk. She wanted a moment alone to compose herself and suppress her own personality and don the mask of lady Teresia Talvaen again. And there was always the slight hope that the trap would spring now; they tried to give the assassin opportunities to catch her alone without arousing too much suspicion.

The lighting in the garden wasn't the best even though there were lanterns scattered here and there and Sahra thought that she saw movement in the shadows. A figure stepped into the spotlight and she realised with disappointment that it was just one of the noble ladies. Of course the assassin could be a woman too and she flexed her hands slightly to make sure that her weapons were at their place in the wide sleeves. Her recollection of faces and names wasn't the best and she didn't remember meeting this particular noble before. As she made her way toward Sahra, she thought that there was something weird about her but she couldn't quite place it. She was wary, though, as her instincts had warned her before that something was wrong and she hadn't listened that time. She tried to appear relaxed and at ease to the outside.

"It is a beautiful night, isn't it? How have you liked the party so far? To me Lord Killarven has seemed a most gracious host."

Sahra Covenry

Pretending to be a lady

• 3 weeks later...

Laughing as the girl made her comment about Lord Killarveen, 'Lady Selene' responded in a husky alto.  "Lord Killarveen is a tedious man.  I swear, if he tries to talk to me about hunting one more time I'll hit him.  I don't need to know about the time that he tried to hunt wild boar and broke both of his ankles when he slipped from his horse, requiring him to be slung over a friend's saddle the entire way back home.  No one needs to know these things."

As if seeing the girl for the first time, Lady Selene's head shook as powdered cheeks coloured slightly.  It was a ridiculous night, and to be honest, the Lady Selene didn't like to be there at all.  There were better ways for one's time to be spent, but what one would like to do and what one ended up having to do were often two very different things.  "I'm sorry, have I offended you?  I just dislike these parties intensely, I was sent to represent my family and I've got two men who can't seem to hear 'no', 'not interested' or 'not if you were the last man of the Westlands'.  Perhaps I have a speech impediment, do I have one?"

Grimacing as that just came out, Lady Selene put a hand to her head, too bubbly.  "Again, I'm sorry.  Would you believe one of them offered me their carriage?  Not to ride home mind you, just for ten minutes or so.  Do you mind if I sit down with you for a few minutes?  If they come out looking for me, maybe they'll leave me be if they see me talking with you.  Just long enough for me to recollect my calm, my parents won't approve if I smack one of those men between the legs before half the court that seems to be in there."

Well, well, this new lady turned out to be quite entertaining company. Sahra stiffled her snicker at the parody the woman made of Lord Killarven's hunting stories. She hadn't heard them herself but they certainly sounded silly. Why anyone would confess publicly that such an embarrassing incident had occurred to them was beyond her. The Lord likely wasn't very bright. She arched her eyebrows surprised at the suggestion that the lady had made an offense and shook her head. Just the opposite in fact, she was being set at ease slightly but she tried to fight the feeling. The same had happened with Pander Wilke too and it had ended with her and Sana both almost getting killed. Still, she symphatised with the overly eager suitors although they were nothing like the worst men she had met.

"Oh no, you speak just fine, my lady. Men can be dimwitted from time to time and it seems to me that some of these young noble lordlings have never even heard the word 'no' before. Spoiled little brats. They wouldn't last a day in the... in the military, say"

Sahra snorted at the rediculous wooing strategy. A carriage ride for ten minutes had to be the worst pick up line she had ever heard. The plea to sit down and chat... well, it could be harmless but she was suspicious nonetheless. Stll, she forced herself to smile in a friendly manner and nod toward the bench beside her. She remained standing and instinctively assumed a better stance with her legs slightly apart and left foot first. Her hands came to rest lightly over her hipbones as she watched the woman approach.

They were only few steps away when the 'lady' pulled the dagger off her sleeve and aimed it at Sahra's chest. She brought up her left hand to block her opponent's wrist and snaked her arm around his to a lock. The assassin responded by bringing his right hand to his left wrist for more power and shifted her weight to trap Sahra's arm into a counter lock instead. But the bait wasn't going to let it end there and stepped in, breaking her opponent's stance, and pushed her right shoulder with her right hand. The false lady stumbled down and Sahra kept the dagger secure by holding the assassin's arm looped to hers. She proceeded to disarm the killer but the woman kicked Sahra's feet from under her and sent her rolling on the ground a few times to make distance before she leaped back to her feet.

The two faced each others off tensely, both stepping warily and Sahra was shocked when the assassin spoke in a deep male voice. "Where is the real lady?" He tried to use her surprise by lunging another attack from the reverse side but this time she was fast enough to catch him to another lock. Capturing his right wrist with her right palm, Sahra brought her left hand to his elbow and twisted his dagger arm behind his back. She held the arm pinned and wrested the dagger stabbing the assassin on his right shoulder a few times and pummeling his temple with the pommel of the weapon. The man slid on ground unconscious and she ripped the hem of his dress to get ropes and tie him down while she would fetch Sana and the Sisters. They would want him alive for questioning and find out who was the snake's head behind the murder plot. As Sahra dragged the captive hired dagger to the bushes, she shook her head at the unlikeliness of the whole thing. His female impersonation had been quite flawless.

Sahra Covenry

Tower Trainee

• 2 weeks later...

The assassin was contained and hidden so all that was left was to get the Aes Sedai. They could surely squeeze any needed information out of him and even if he couldn't lead them straight away to his employer, it would hopefully give the Sisters enough clues that they could follow the tail to the snake's head. But meanwhile Sahra would have to continue playing her role. Although since the assassin had seen through it, likely his employer had too. Still, it wasn't a decision she could do herself and presenting herself in the bloodied dress would cause too much fuss.

She made her way to the doors leading the garden and called a servant carrying trays to her. She remained in the shadows to keep the disheveled state of her clothes a secret and asked him to bring her bodyguard to her and tell him to bring her a cloak. She waited impatiently for quite a while and finally Sana emerged carrying a cloak. He didn't look very pleased and made the reason clear.

"You are taking this servant thing a bit too far", he grumbled.

"Shut up, Sana", she replied cheerfully. "I got the the guy. He made his move and he's in the bushes all bundled up now. I just hope that I didn't hit him too hard. You should go get the Sisters now. And give me the cloak as there are some unexplainable stains on my dress."

Sahra Covenry

Wanting some praise

He didn't know if he should kiss her for keeping herself alive or spank her for going off alone as she had.  Both caused rather unfortunate responses within at this time, but he pushed his feelings aside as he smiled at Sahra.  "Should have known you'd manage to get yourself into trouble pretty quick." He said, brandishing the cloak for her to wrap around herself.  A quick squeeze was all he would allow himself.  "You sure you're OK?" He asked.  She gave him the look that he knew all too well to mean that he was treating her like a day old trainee who couldn't handle a lathe, let alone a weapon.  He held his hands up and smiled.  "Just had to be sure.  You did good work Sahra, especially to get your man this fast.  Let me find the Aes Sedai."

It took little time to find Aramina Sedai who appeared at his side almost as soon as he came back in.  "The Lady is just outside Aes Sedai, and she requests your company, if you have a moment."  He bowed, but not before making eye contact and hoping the Aes Sedai understood what he meant.

"If you would be so kind as to accompany me?" Aramina asked, linked her arm through his as they walked out to join Sahra.    "Where is the assassin?" She asked Sahra as they came out.  It took only a moment for Sahra to explain the story to Aramina Sedai and she stooped over the man.  Looking back at them, she smiled.  "Well done Sahra.  I think perhaps it would be best if the Lady took her leave for the evening.  A slight fatigue should do.  Jaydena and I will be able to handle this.  If you could let her know on your way out that I have need of her here, it would be best if your dress wasn't noticed."

Sana didn't need to be told twice.  His concern for Sahra and the need to make sure she really was OK was enough to have him speeding her out.  He said a quick word to Jaydena as Sahra made her quick excuses, the cloak covering the evidence of the crime quite well.  It wasn't until they were back in her rooms that he felt he could take a deep breath.  "Are you sure you're Ok Sahra?" He asked finally, letting the tension run out of his body once he had her safe.

Sana, TG and Aramina Sedai

• 4 weeks later...

Sahra should have known that Sana would try to coddle her and she didn't approve it. She was fairly certain that this would be her last mission as a Trainee. She would finally be deemed worthy of the purple cloak. It had taken her a bit longer than her mates due to few calls of bad judgement but she had learned and she was ready now. His praise made her beam and she waited nervously for the Aes Sedai to arrive. Sahra was glad that it was Aramina Sedai. She liked Jaydena Sedai well enough as she was quite relaxed but her being Bonded to Cairma meant that the intimidating woman would have come too. Cairma the Mother was an unexpected combination that softened the woman's image a bit but it didn't change their past dealings. She was still feeling uncomfortable around the former mentor of Fior.

The recall of events was quickly done and Aramina Sedai took charge as the Sisters were meant to. The short and quick words of approval stroke her just the right away. "We will notify Jaydena Sedai and no one will notice anything", she assured readily. It wasn't hard to play faint believably even though she despised such displays and the worried host ushered Sana to take her to her quarters.

She wanted badly to cheer but as some nosy servant could hear it and carry the tale, she settled to just squishing Sana with a tight hug. "Uh huh, I already said that I was fine." But she batted her eyelashes at him flirtatiously. "Of course I could be just so shocked by the events that I missed some grievous wound in my excitement. Maybe you should give me a full body check to make sure that all is well with me." Her heart rate certainly wasn't at normal. Not when they were all alone like this and he was as mouth-wettingly desireable as always.

Turning her back at him, she took a deep breath to steady herself. "But in all seriousness, you should help me with my buttons. If I apply some cold water to the stains now, they can still come out and the pretty dress won't be ruined." During the pregnant pause she thought of all kind of other things she could do when the dress was off. But Sana would reject her like he had always before. And she wouldn't ruin things now when they were so close to being able to do it without any rules stopping them.

A new topic was needed. "Sana... do you think that I am ready?"

Sahra Covenry

Tower Trainee

The woman was about as infuriating as she was beautiful.  She had the most amazing ability to throw him off guard and always seemed to find a way to get undressed in front of him that seemed to be perfectly honest and innocent if you didn't know better.  Well.  It was innocent and honest but he still knew better.  So did she.  So while he helped her undo the buttons, his hands were quickly turned to finding something for her to wear.  There was a thick bathing robe in the wardrobe and he grabbed that for her, making certain to keep his eyes down.  He really didn't need the temptation.  REALLY. 

As she wrapped the robe tightly around her form he realized it did nothing for the temptation.  Her voice did though as she asked his opinion.  He smiled down at her and let out a soft sigh.  "Sahra, why are you asking me that?  You know how I feel."  Now that was a loaded question since he wasn't all too sure how he felt.  Not that he didn't feel it, just that he refused to examine it even in a minute way until she was a Tower Guard.  "If there had been any question about it, you proved yourself tonight Sahra.  You're ready for the cloak and if some Aes Sedai doesn't snap you up as a warder I think they're all crazy." 

Ursana 

• 2 weeks later...

His hands opening her buttons felt so good. Such slight touches through the fabric were all proper, and not. She wanted more but she couldn't have it yet. This mission had put her closer to the crimson cloak and him stripping it off her, but it wasn't hers yet. He was hardly the only reason why Sahra wanted to become a Tower Guard but being with him was a huge extra bonus. Sana shoved her a bath robe and, despite having a camisole under the dress that pooled into her feet, she fastened it around her. It was quite chivalric how he averted his face as she dressed, but she appreciated much more the admiring looks he gave her.

He wasn't talking entirely about her question and they both knew it. Did she really know what he felt for her? She hoped that she did because she loved him. It wouldn't be enough for her to be just one of his women. If he thought that he could keep it up and have her, she would have to kill him. She didn't want a bloody Aran and if he couldn't be happy with just her, he would better be honest about it. But it was neither here nor there. They were speaking about her Raising.

"Thank you, Sana. It is really important to me that you believe in me. And hey, I wouldn't be here without you. You are the best mentor anyone could have. As for Bonding...", she snorted. "Well, those Aes Sedai can snap their fingers as much as they want but I'm not going to tie myself to any one Sister." She wanted to one day command men in battle and you couldn't do that if you were a Warder. "I will gladly go to missions and such, but my service is to the whole White Tower."

"How about you? Have you ever met a Sister you could consider getting Bonded to? Is it your dream to become a Warder?" They hadn't really discussed it so she assumed that Sana wasn't too eager to get a colour shifting cloak. But what if he some day would do it? Could she live with it? Of course first she would have to have some claim on him, so it was way too early to bother her head with it. She just couldn't dismiss the idea as easily as she would have liked to.

Sahra Covenry

Trainee

• 2 weeks later...

Sana looked up for a second, considering her question.  "I don't really think about it too often.  I mean, I suppose if there was someone that needed me and that I felt was doing something worth the risk, then I would, but it's not something i've looked for."  He smiled at her.  "It's not like I know that many Aes Sedai.  Less than a handful and I doubt any of them would be too interested in little ole me."

He laughed at the thought of it.  "I think they all look for a Blademaster, or perhaps a stoic spymaster, but it's not really me, is it.  I can lay my life on the line, but i'm not sure i'm cut out for all that.  So I suppose only time will answer that question.  You know, I really only thought i'd be in the warder's Yard for a couple months at most.  I thought i'd go back to my family train and be a better guard for them.  Maybe someone that could be paid as a guard when they brought other people to travel with them.  Never thought i'd actually stay.  So I don't know that I could answer that question well since nothing i've ever had planned for my life has worked out the way I thought it would."

Luckily enough, he was looking away from her or he was certain she would have seen the small thought in the back of his mind.  The thought that reminded him of how he had once thought things would turn out with he and Sahra.  Oh, they seemed to be heading in the same direction again, but he would never have thought anything could have come between them as Fior had.  He would never have dreamed it and would never have thought himself still waiting and hoping the girl would have enough sense to want him when it was all done and over.

Ursana

Sana's answer was a relief, even though Sahra hadn't really expected him to be the eager Warder-to-be type. She quite liked the fact that he didn't socialize too much with the Aes Sedai and how possessively satisfied the fact made her was a surprise. Tower Guards were much better company anyway but she in no way thought less of the Warders for getting Bonded. It was just the same than when Sana was sleeping with someone else. And even then she could be fairly certain that it would be a passing flame. But a Bond would be forever and in many ways it was much more intimate than a having a love relationship with someone.

Loyalty and reality forced her to disagree with him, though. Just like he thought that she might make a good Warder, she was stunned that no one had yet found the gem that was Sana. His final words made her flinch slightly as she caught the implication well enough. Maybe he hadn't meant it like that but then why wasn't he looking at her. There was nothing she could do about it, except make sure that she would never hurt him again. They needed something cheery to do to celebrate the event. Since she didn't drink much, stealing a keg from the kitchen wasn't it. And dancing had the touching part which was a bit problematic and besides, the guests shouldn't see her as she was 'resting'.

"The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, or however the saying goes. The best we can do is enjoy the ride and try to see the good sides. Now, since I'm stuck here as I am such a wilting lily lady who needs rest, would you mind dicing with me? I feel lucky today, so I bet that I could fleece you. We could play the cards too. I'm sure that they have a deck nearby as the nobles like to play some dull and complex games. Pretty please." She gave him the puppy dog eyes. It was the best innocent excuse that she could think of to keep him there with her. And she quite enjoyed winning. But even loosing would be worth it.

Sahra Covenry

Tower Guard Trainee