DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

All for Telcia (attn: Con)

Arette

Music playing: Dueling Banjos (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esl2NNOtHQE)

IC:

The apparition who walked the streets of Perfumed Quarters with determination gathered some odd looks but Iussi Dyfelle didn't even notice them. A colourful pirate was maybe the kindest way to describe his appearance. Today he wore modestly tight brown leather pants, black over the knee boots, a bright azure billowy sleeved shirt with a purple vest and crimson sash tied aroud his waist. Under the scarf he had tucked two curved knives and a short sword rested in its sheath on his left hip. The tasteful whole was crowned by another crimson scarf tied around his head that was covered by a black wide brimmed hat with a long peacock plume. And last but not least, the purple of the vest matched nicely with the black eye and split lip that he sported.

He couldn't remember when he had last felt this cozy in any clothes even if his mood otherwise wasn't the best. Maybe he had dressed like this as a quiet protest and to soothe his mind a bit. Telcia liked him to wear black and red or other bit more sombre and toned down combinations and on normal occasions he let her to dress him. But deep down within him lived a little tinker who loved colours and now when his wife had in a way sent him away from their home, he had let that side to emerge briefly. Not that Telcia had actually told him to do this. But another visit from that Red Sister and some discussions they had had afterwards had left Iussi worried. And even though this was completely idiotic and it likely wouldn't even work anyway, he had made a promise and he would try to keep it and keep his wife safe until he drew his last breath.

But to do that he needed assistance from another man who had sworn to protect Telcia. He would just have to find a way to explain it so that he wouldn't tell too much but still enough that Con would help. For all he knew, Con could try to speak with Telcia and try to talk her out of it but her mind really was set this time and it was only made worse by the fact that the other Reds seemed to be involved in it somehow. No matter how Telcia had been supposed to be retired and devoted to her family, burn her. But once an Aes Sedai, always an Aes Sedai. It wasn't that easy to shake off almost two centuries of training and duty and his wife had made his choice. Now he would just have to live with it and try to make himself as useful as possible.

He was nearing the place in the warehouse district where Con had been preparing himself before his wedding. He and his men had built fine and easily defended barracks but he wondered how cozy and home his wife and children found them. Thankfully he wouldn't have to associate very much with Arette as Telcia had agreed that she would weave a Gateway back home for him to the rendervouz spot so he could return to Ebou Dar for the late evenings and the nights to spend time with his family. And bloody right he would. He was already missing to be able to be with Jelane and Jamal when ever he pleased and there had been some other commitments too to his faction.

The guards at the gates were alert and stopped him asking for his business but they seemed to remember him from the wedding and let him pass. How lovely that he was such an unforgettable figure. Walking across the training ground he spotted the man he was looking for watching a young man and a woman spar. Hmm, so the Militia accepted women too. A wise move as it doubled the potential number of recruits and from what he remembered back from the Warder's Yard, the female Trainees and Tower Guards had been always more motivated and well, simply more kick ass than the men.

"Howdy Con", Iussi called a jolly greeting at his back. He grinned and waved in a coy lady-like way as Con spun around to face him. "My my, you certainly look prosperous. Marriage seems to suit you well, just watch out for developing a belly. Men of your age are in that danger zone. Oh, but forgive me how directly I am speaking to you. I forgot that you are a man of a title now, your lordship." His smirk only deepened at the dark look he got but he quickly controlled himself and sobered up and lifted his hands as an appeasing gesture.

"Peace. Now that the mandatory part of putting my foot to my mouth is done with... well, I hardly came here to taunt you. Seriously, it is good to see you alive and well. Telcia told me of the battle you had to free Illian of the secret influence. My condolences for your losses. Tai Shar Ilian as they say up in the north." He quieted for a moment to respect the dead. "You have done good work here and I saw alot of your men patrolling on my way. Any title is more than deserved." With Con's opinions of nobles it was a nice irony from the Wheel. But likely his wife could handle most of the dealings more than aptly. Just like Telcia had taken over the merchant house of their family. It freed him and Con to do what they could do the best. Though in Iussi's case he wasn't sure how well he had been doing. But at least he had had fun so far, he thought and touched lightly the swollen skin of his right eye. Politics in Ebou Dar were something unlike nowhere else, racing and dueling.

"Now I'm sure that you are curious why am I here. Sheesh, show some patience Con." The incorrigible grin was back. "No, Telcia didn't kick me out and no, the beautifications to my face are not her handiwork even though I am sure that she was tempted. She wouldn't Heal me at least. But aaanyway, remember back the days when you were my Commander? I was a bit troublesome from time to time." An understatment. "But when I really had to do something or learn something, I did it and did not shirk from the duty. For the sake of old days I would ask a favour from you. Could you teach me how to utilize the Flame and the Void?"

Iussi Dyfelle

Former Tower Guard

• 1 month later...

Unexpected.

Turning as he was addressed, Con could not say he was entirely pleased to see Iussi.  Things had changed greatly since they had both left the Tower Guard, though he would never have really called Iussi such to begin with.  He'd always been head over heels for Telcia, wanted to be her Warder more than anything and he'd simply worn the title of Tower Guard so he could attend to her.  Something that Con had misliked a good deal, but in part due to Telcia's feelings about the man, and also because he couldn't always be there to watch her, he had let Iussi's manners and such slide to a degree.

Having said that, he had held certain expectations of Iussi as a Tower Guard and he'd at least gotten the minimum requirements out of the man to make sure he could almost claim to be one.  He wore the uniform at least, even if he didn't have the real heart for it.  But then, Con hadn't been able to keep the heart for it himself, it was hard to serve those who ignored what needed doing in favour of themselves, and he had tired of the Tower's politics to the point that he had become convinced that he could no longer wield his blade in their service.

Something partially prompted by Iussi, the way they had treated one who had worn the crimson cloak.  To hold him and study him against his will when he had wanted nothing more than to be gentled.  That Con had not been listened to when he had first pleaded, then later condemned the Hall for their inaction in making the exception for Iussi, if only for his service as a Tower Guard if not for the fact that it was injust to hold people against their will for study rather than seperating them from the power if they wished it.  But, that was another time and something he didn't like to think about because it pertained too much to his wife's handiwork, and they had learned from their mistakes since then.

But, if nothing else, he had become used to Iussi's flamboyant manner, even if the clothes he wore made Con's eyes hurt.  Far too many colours, he preferred the simple black boots, hose and shirt that he wore.  A Lord he may have become, but he was not one to wear the trappings and there were too many things to be done to bother with such finery.  Besides, Arette was better suited for it, she had the training and the birth, Con's home was the Perfumed Quarter and it would always be that way.  That was how the world had come full circle for him, even with Tarmon Gaidon approaching, he knew that what he fought for as much as anything was the home that he would leave for his daughters when he passed from the world.

Condolences were appreciated, but what followed made Con curious even if it didn't show from behind his calm demeanour.  Iussi wanted to learn how to use the Flame and the Void?  He had never shown interest in it before, and there would have been plenty of teachers in Altara that could have shown him how to use it.  Why was he here and wanting to learn from him of all people?  Con could teach well enough, but he suspected that Iussi wouldn't last under him.  He'd had much more relaxed teachers, and that was not how Con taught.  If there was something that needed doing, then it would be done, there would be no horseplay and carrying on, he had too many things to do to spend his time frivolously.

"No."  Turning away, Con looked back to the pair that were sparring before him.  He wasn't going to do it simply as a favour without question, if Iussi wanted his help then he would have to explain himself better.  If he'd traveled all the way from Altara to learn from Con, then he would end up explaining himself or otherwise the trip would be for naught.

Con Stavros

Unwilling Teacher

The abrupt and curt 'no' surprised Iussi and for a moment he just blinked. Certainly he could get another teacher but Con had been the first one he had thought of for various reasons. Mainly because he was a good and throughout teacher who demanded alot from his students. And of course because he was someone Telcia trusted implicitly and who had sworn to protect her not much diffrently from a Warder. But that card could not be used as Con would disapprove Telcia's plans and the whole thing if he knew that the White Tower was involved. Bloody burning Red Sisters and their mad schemes.

"I interpret that as 'maybe if further explanation is given'. I am a Spring man and it suits me very well. I had difficulties relating with the Flame and the Void and after so many years of resorting to the Spring, I have alot to unlearn. You are likely familiar with the theory that Spring is akin to embracing Saidar and Flame and the Void is a good technique for controlling Saidin. That was my problem, block when the Sisters tried to make me help them with their studies. I promised to assist them to my best ability but I was afraid. Shit scared in fact. So I broke my promise since I didn't really struggle to break through the block. I just couldn't."

Iussi sighed deeply. "I know that this is a difficult topic to you as you fought so hard against the whole thing. I appreciate your efforts, yours and Telcia's, and what I want to do now likely goes against it all, makes it naught. But it needs to be done and I need to try again and for real this time. That is why I came to you."

"The Tower has a way to Heal Stilling, to undo it completely. They might be able to do it for male channelers too or at least find a way. You saw what the men of the Black Tower are capable of here in Illian. Every person who can hold a weapon will be valuable in the battle to come but it can't be denied that a channeler is worth many soldiers. And I could maybe be that." Telcia went far enough to call him a male Aes Sedai who had been robbed the potential but that was far fetched as long as the Taint existed. Iussi had little hope that it could ever be lifted but if he had ever understood what duty meant, it was this. Duty to his wife who couldn't be reasoned out of stupid plans because she was stubborn like a mule and backed up by her former Ajah Sisters. And duty to his children and the world.

"I don't know if that was enough so I won't ramble on. If you need clarifications, you will ask for them." Or then not if the 'no' was an indication of his talkativeness.

Iussi Dyfelle

Half-unwilling Learner

• 3 weeks later...

Listening as he focused on the melee before him, Con had not expected the reasoning behind the request that Iussi had made.  Iussi, the man who had once so desperately wanted to be gentled and wasn't allowed, now he wanted to learn the nature of the Flame and the Void in order to harness it to use saidin if he were healed?  Something wasn't right about it, Con's natural instinct on the matter was that something was askew.  A man who wanted nothing to do with the power, self admittedly scared of it, one who had wanted and in fact been cut off from it.  Now he wanted to wield it, for no apparent reason other than what the Black Tower had done to help Illian, which the man had not seen with his own eyes.

There was something he wasn't being told.  As Iussi fell silent, Con kept his own peace as he thought about it quietly.  A piece of a jigsaw puzzle was missing, except his problem was that he didn't know what piece it was and he didn't know where it went.  Why would Iussi go to this sort of trouble?  As much as he got along with him, and trusted him to keep Telcia safe, this seemed like too big a step alone for the man.  What was his agenda in all of this?

Maybe it isn't his agenda...

Thinking about it, it made more sense in that light.  No, this wasn't Iussi's idea at all, this was someone elses.  There was only one person who could have made him take that step, ordered and cajoled, whatever had been necessary.  The more that thought turned in his mind, the more convinced he was of it.  His own thoughts on the matter were not nearly simple as they had been, but Iussi made it very easy for him for at least the moment.

The melee ending, the Eris knocked off her feet and a stave at her throat, Con was terse as he spoke to the pair.  "Break, five minutes then do be resuming."

As the Markas helped Eris onto her feet, Con turned his head slightly towards Iussi as he spoke.  "No."  A moment later he added.  "I no be instructing a student who no be honest.  This no be your idea and I no be having the energy to be arguing.  Either you want to be doing this and be telling all, or you no be and you best be finding another teacher."

Con Stavros

Still Unwilling

The two men both watched the match unfold in silence, Con in his thoughts and Iussi merely waiting for his reply. The woman with the staff fell on her fine bum and certainly had felt the impact. Iussi gave Con a side wise look at his tone when he told the pair to have a break. He was really expecting the no and shrugged in resignation before his old Commander continued after a moment. He shouldn't have tried to keep anything back. "Omission isn't lying", Iussi sighed. "But you are right that there is something else. You've been hanging around those Aes Sedai too much." He wondered if Con could actually spot if Arette or Telcia tried to keep something from him.

"I will tell you everything that I can. It started even before we had gotten the children back from Arad Doman. Telcia had returned to the White Tower and it seems that the Red Sisters had a plan regarding the male channelers. I don't know if it was all of them or just a small faction but Telcia agrees with them." His expression revealed quite blatantly that he didn't like the idea even though he tried to keep it under wraps. "I'm sure that Muirenn would have warmed Telc's bottom for that if she had been back to hear it. Anyway, we had a discussion on the way to Arad Doman and I promised this. So it might not have been my idea originally but now it is."

He had very badly hoped that Telcia would forget it and that it would never become topical but it had. "Some time before your wedding, a Red Sister from the Tower came to visit. This Reddie taught Telc to Travel, a handy little thing, and I think that they had a discussion about this plan too. And no, Telcia didn't tell me to do this. She is even trying to call it back now. But a promise is a promise. And it will make a difference. I really don't know what is going to happen. I thought that she was off the Tower's hook and she will never return. Bonds of Ajah just seem to bind tighter. Not that this has anything to do with the other Sisters. They won't like it when they find out. What the Tower has once taken, they don't like to return to you." It was important that Con wouldn't get the wrong idea that Telcia had gotten him mixed into some Tower scheme. She would never do that.

"I don't know if this helped my case or finished it. But that is it. And don't even start telling me how I should have talked her out of what ever it is." He should have still been able to do it. That was what Tower Guards did. They protected the Aes Sedai even from themselves if need be. "No one can talk her out of anything when she makes up her mind. But this isn't about her, it is about me."

Iussi Dyfelle

Gentled channeler

• 1 month later...

Con was silent as he contemplated what had been said, this was a Red Ajah plan alright and no bare bones about it.  It didn't take much to see where it was leading, not only for observation of how a male channeler developed their powers, but perhaps a pair of eyes inside the Black Tower to go with it.  While he was wedded to an Aes Sedai, that Aes Sedai was no longer strongly affiliated with the White Tower much like his own wife.  Perhaps there was more to it, most likely there was, but if it was there to be seen then he couldn't see it.  Regardless, he didn't like the idea and furthermore he was surprised at Telcia for having agreed to it to begin with, especially after everything they had been through.

But, perhaps in that unknown there was a reason for this that made it worthwhile.  Telcia normally knew what she was doing, though there were plenty of times where she had to be pulled up from doing something that wasn't terribly well thought out.  This still didn't feel like a good idea, but it wouldn't end with him.  If he refused to teach Iussi, Iussi would simply go and get another instructor.  At least he could monitor the man himself, maybe he could go and ask one of the Asha'man in the city if they were still about for more details.  Make sure the man didn't go bat crazy in his home.

First of all, he needed to give the man something to do, a first step in learning how to harness the Flame and the Void.  Knowing Iussi, it was going to be a bit more difficult than the usual student, but maybe his attention span had improved with time.  Doubtful, but if it had improved it would make things easier, and that would be fine as far as Con was concerned.  Perhaps something simple, something visual so it would help Iussi's focus later.

"Go inside.  Do be starting the fire in the hearth, then I do be wanting you to be sitting down infront of it.  Do be focusing only on the flame, no be paying attention to anything else.  If anyone do be asking what you be doing there, just be telling them that I do be putting you there.  Flames, just be watching them and be staying there until I do be coming to get you, regardless of how long I be."

Con Stavros

Caving in