DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

what betrayal can mean

Corwin

It had been some time since Corwin had last stepped into an Inn for a nice drink.  He couldn't train at night here, so he did the next best thing, drinking.  He didn't know what was going on with Saline.  But he didn't right much care right now.  The Inn seemed safe enough and she could handle herself well enough, she wasn't completely helpless....

As he sat in his corner both, Corwin observed everyone.  There were gambling games going on like always, people seemed to always think they could win something in a game of chance.  Corwin never waisted his time or money.  He didn't mind working for what he had, even if it was rather short sometimes.  He saw a pretty lady come in, he had given up a lot of his sexual habbits a long time ago, but he still noticed  women.  As she scanned the Inn he saw her begin moving toward him without making it too obvious...

Corwin

How many years had it been since she had even thought about a man?

Eqwina walked the streets lost in her own thoughts, it was too early for what she intended.

The last few years had brought many changes, one of which was the renewed desire for a warder. A woman whose life now involved numerous perils could not help but feel naked without the protection of a man. Saidar only provided so much, and at times it was out of reach. Much better to have a man at your back ready to die for you than to face these challenges alone. It was several months ago that she reached the decision to finally take on a warder; now the key was finding just the right one. So far it had been no easy task, being estranged from Tar Valon her choices were few and far between.

Two days past the small network of eyes and ears Eqwina had acquired reported another sister entering the city. It did not take too much time to find out she was a Red and odd of odd she’d come with a tower guard in toe. What use a Red could have for a man she not begin to imagine but without a doubt Eqwina’s need was greater.

It just so happened she’d heard of the man her sister had brought. The chances of trapping Corwin would be slim to none, but at this point she did not want to leave any avenue unexplored. Tonight was the first evening since arriving that Eqwina had been able to find the man alone.

Eqwina let the noise of the Inn wash over her as she entered, almost immediately her eyes drifted to her prey. As expected he noticed her as well, Corwin had never been one to miss a pretty face. She picked her way carefully through the crowd, trying always to keep him in site. There was no hiding what she was and Eqwina hoped he did not bolt.

She grabbed the arm of a pretty young serving girl and ordered two mugs of the Inn’s best ale and had them sent to Corwin’s table. She pressed a silver penny in the girls hand and told her she would be rewarded if she kept them coming.

The ale arrived just as Eqwina slung her cloak over the bench. She honored him with her most winning smile and pitched her voice to be heard over the hum of the crowd. “It would be a shame to see you sitting here drinking alone”

Corwin couldn't help but chuckle.  The woman wanted something, most all did...especially one that was an Aes Sedai.  It was only a matter of time until all things were uncovered.  Eyeing the woman up and down quickly, he couldn't find any traces of red.  He didn't know if she was a Red as well, if she was what Saline was looking for, or if she was someone  completly different.  Suddenly one of the serving girls came with a couple mugs.  Looking up at the Aes Sedai, Corwin saw a bit of a smug look on her face.  She obviously thought she knew he had control of this situation.  Well Corwin could play that game.

Who could deny a drink with one that has such great tallents as yourself?  With that Corwin motioned  for her to have a seat.  Not that it mattered really.  She was going to speak with him if he wanted to speak with her or not.  Now what can I do to help one such as yourself?  With a smile the Aes Sedai first said You can first drop the act.  I know of you and I don't need you playing games with me.  Bloody hell, I try being nice and it gets me this, I try being gruff before and it gets me into trouble with Saline.  Light blinded women!  Corwin's face instantly dropped the act.  Have it your way.  With that Corwin got up and went to a private dinning room.  He knew the woman would follow.  If she went through enough trouble finding him she wouldn't let him get away too easily.

Once the door was shut, Corwin spun around.  What do you want?

For the first Eqwina knew this would be no easy task. No man was easy to deal with, even the best of them, and Corwin was far from the best. She could not help but smile at his attempts at civility. Eqwina had heard that was not his way, unless he saw you as a conquest. She told him with a smile and quite firmly to drop the act. Very few men were brave enough to try pulling one over on an Aes Sedai, that bravery was the quality she needed.

As he stood up and walked away Eqwina offered another rare smile. Let him think he is in control, for now. Eqwina gathered her cloak and her ale, in her months of travels she had grown to enjoy the warmth of the rough drink. Corwin led the way to a private dining room just off the main hall, before entering on his heels Eqwina made sure they would not be disturbed. Even before the door had shut behind her Eqwina embraced Saidar and let the sweetness fill her. She held not fear of the large man that faced her; she just wanted to make sure that what was said here was sealed to their ears alone. Before the ward was even in place he rounded on her; that was much more the response she’d expected.

Eqwina did not answer right away; she took her time placing her cloak just so over the chair and took a seat before she even acknowledged he was there. “I am glad to see that the fire I had heard about really exists, it would be a shame to think that your reputation was all lies.” She motioned him to sit, though did not expect him to obey. [i] “It was a happy coincidence to run into one such as you. This is the last place I would expect to find a Tower Guard. What business brought you to such a place?”[/i] Eqwina sipped her ale as if his answer was of no consequence. She did not want to let on how great her need was, not just yet.

With a stone cold smirk, Corwin tilted his head while looking at the Aes Sedai.  Now I could tell you, but that just never seems to be the way of you Aes Sedai.  His voice was dripping in sarcasim.  I just don't think your precious Tower would like me giving away it's precious secrets, even to you.  The woman's face had been growing darker and darker until she suddenly shot up and made her way over to him.  He could have retreated, but he wasn't scared of her.  His life was complete if she saw him as a threat and decided to kill him.  He had only seen a more infuriated look on one other woman's face, Eleanor when he had spared Daemon on his broken ankle.  As she stared at him, Corwin stared right back and waited.  A stone face was all the woman got, but she only stared at it for a moment before the best of her right fist came to Corwin's cheek.  Her left was comming in, but Corwin grabbed her wrist and held it firm.  Tisk, tisk.  What would They think of you now?

Suddenly Corwin was knocked aside by the Power.  It was the only thing that could have hit him so hard.  Picking himself up from the floor, he felt the Power encircle him, he couldn't move.  I'm not going to be insulted by one such as you.  Now are you going to stop?  Corwin knew it was useless to struggle, so he simply waited for her to go back to the table, sit down, and she eventually released him.

He could already tell this was going to be a fun one.  She obviously wasn't going to put up with him, but he wasn't going to deal with her trash either.  I'm not one to sit around and be played with.  You can say why you have went through so much effort to find me, since you've obviously heard of me.  Again, what is it you want?  Aes Sedai.

Corwin

• 4 months later...

A raucous laugh escaped her lips before Eqwina could stop it. "You take too much pride in yourself Corwin" She strolled back and took her seat at the table. "I was surprised to hear of the arrival on another sister in the city, I was more surprised to hear that she was red" Eqwina motioned Corwin to sit, and when he ignored her she smiled, a sickly sweet smile, and wrapped him gently in flows of air. It took only that little effort to make him oblige her.

"Imagine my shock when I learned that my red sister was accompanied by a Warder, it was only happenstance that I had heard your name"

Eqwina knew she was explaining more than necessary, but she had to make him trust. "When I heard your name I knew I must stop and see if all the rumors were true"  

Corwin had still not said a word, so Eqwina continued.

"You see, I am traveling alone and in times such as these that is a dangerous endeavor. I could use a man with your training and skill. A man…" She reached across the table and laid her slim hands on his. "…battle hard and wise." She had to tred lightly now, one story that had always followed Corwin was that he could not be caught.

Her fingers gently stroked the top of his hand; tracing small circles.

"Fear not that I will ever try to trap you. I will speak it plain so you know it for true." Never mind the fact that she could lie. Corwin had to way of knowing what lay within her head. "I need your arm and your sword, but I will not try to tie strings to your heart or attempt to hold your bond."

She retracted her touch and contended herself with her ale.

Only time would tell if she would be able to tame this beast. But as she sat there she could not help but feel as if the battle were half won. So soon, and he had already accepted her touch.

Eqwina Sedai

As she took away her hand Corwin couldn't help but smirk, she said she had heard of him, obviously she had heard of other things that his swordsmanship by her attitude.  "So you want some help do you?"  All in all it didn't matter, he had given up on the Tower after all.  He sat there thinking it through for the moment.  Sighing he looked up to her and said "well when you put it that way... no."  Already he could see her suppressing the surprise.  "You obviously have heard other things than my sword skills, I know a woman trying to seduce me and I wont fall for petty tricks.  If you have a real need then maybe, but I wont be a bed partner to be thrown away any time.  It may not be a string to my heart, but I don't want strings period."

He knew it was not the smartest way to go about things.  Aes Sedai were never one to be harsh to, but he didn't care right now.  He wasn't going to be used for another bed partner, Calliste had shown him that.  But all of that didn't matter when he felt things most unnatural, like the room growing so cold.  He didn't know if it was the Power or if he was just imagining it, but from the look on Eqwina's face, he was about to find out.

Corwin

When Corwin first opened his mouth Eqwina was feeling very smug. It had been so easy to make things go her way; but as his speech continued her contentment faded and rage flamed in its place.

Instantly she embraced the source and with weaves of air the room grew more ominous with her every breath. With years to practice, Eqwina had a flare for the dramatic and she used all her skill here now. Her green eyes flashed with anger and her fingernails were beginning to draw blood from her hands.

"No one speaks to me that way, NO ONE! Not only do I not desire your heart, but I do not desire your body either. Hear me, and hear me well Corwin. All I want from you is your sword and your eyes." Her small frame towered over him; it would appear to him that her head brushed the ceiling. Eqwina did not think he would be overawed by her display, but it was anger and emotion that fueled her now.

"It is a simple thing I ask of you, a thing almost any tower guard would leap do, but I do not want just any Tower Guard. I need someone older, with more experience and less heat to their blood. I want your answer, nay I demand you answer, what will it be Corwin of Tar Valon, Corwin of the White Tower?"

Eqwina Sedai

The chair crashed down as Corwin bolted up.  "You want my answer?  You come here, to demand of me to help you, then when I tell you terms in no uncertain way you begin to pitch a fit, and now you begin making demands of me.  Hear me, and hear ME well Aes Sedai, if another Tower Guard would leap at the opportunity then take it to him, but if you want me to go, you meet my terms.  You hold no bond over me, you hold nothing on me.  I left the Corwin of the White Tower dead long ago.  IF I go, then you will tell me where we go."  Corwin knew her face must be growing darker, but he refused to look up at it, he kept his stare locked on where her real face was, he wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of him looking up and falling for the trick.

Taking a moment to breath, Corwin was calm again, leaning down he picked up his chair and sat down.  "Aes Sedai if you want me to go with you, then you better start talking and we better start getting along.  Now you have a choice, you can pitch a fit over how I've spoken to you, or you can be an adult and think about things.  Which one will it be?"

Corwin

Eqwina stared, her eyes open wide and her mouth gapping. She let the illusion drop so Corwin could see her for what she truly was. In all her life never had a man spoken to her in that way. Not even Nevin had dared, even at his most angry; and he'd had more right that this man ever word.

With the deliberate slowness of a mountain cat stalking its prey Eqwina walked around to face Corwin, leaning in until their noses almost touched. Her voice was barely a whisper, but it still carried heat. "I don't know what you have been allowed to get away with in the past Corwin, but rest assured none of it will fly with me." Gently, she wrapped flows around him, binding him to the chair, the last one pressing gently to his neck. "You and I have both left a life behind. It makes us perfect companions don't you think?" The flows that wrapped around Corwin's strong neck tightened, just beginning to cut off his air supply. "I will give you another chance, now that I am sure you know what you are dealing with, and before you can take it into your mind that this is a threat.." She released the flows from his neck "I am not trying to kill you, only trying to make my position clear, So I ask again. Can I have your arm to protect me and your eyes to watch my back?"

Eqwina Sedai

A new light dawned in Corwin's head.  This woman was using the Power without any restraints....  This woman was one of the few, one of the ones that were a bit... special.  Her kind was the reason Eleanor had vanished, her kind was the reason Calliste was killed with his child.

Corwin wasn't going to give her the satisfaction of seeing his feelings.  He wasn't going to let her know anything that went through his head.  "It doesn't much matter when I think.  If you want me to come, I think you've made it clear you're getting your way.  But know I will tell you my opionions."  She had been warned, he wasn't going to lay down and be bullied, but obviously he was going to have to go about this different since she didn't have certain oaths holding her back.

Corwin

Eqwina smiled and released Saidar, glad she had not had to kill the man. His absence would have surely been missed. She could see all ready that this would be a long road, but eventually she would bring him to heel.

For now she would bide her time and sleep with one eye open. Truly there was no love lost between the pair.

“I am glad you could see things my way” Eqwina took her seat across from Corwin and resumed her drink. “Since I have your word, now you can know the plans”