DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] Chuck - NBC - Monday 8pm

Emperor

“Chuck” is a sci-fi action-comedy, from “O.C.” mastermind Josh Schwartz, about a Seth Cohen-ish electronics-store employee who suddenly discovers his college frenemy has downloaded an astonishing amount of sensitive government data into his brain without his permission.

Agents of the U.S. government are not happy, and must decide whether to use Chuck or to chuck Chuck.

The pilot has a pretty, Bristow-esque CIA secret agent out to seduce the title character, while a more menacing NSA operative (“Firefly’s” Adam Baldwin, playing what could be the angrier cousin of his “The Inside” FBI character) has other ideas.

As good as all this might sound fans should perhaps keep their expectations in check. “Chuck” is dark fun, much stronger than UPN’s similar “Jake 2.0,” for example, but nowhere near as brilliant as the headier pilots for obvious antecedents like “Alias” and “Lost.”

USA Today gives it three and a half stars (out of four) and says:

… Could he save the world? Doubtful. But he may rescue an otherwise dreary new season. And that's a power to envy.

Entertainment Weekly gives it a “B-plus” and says:

… while there are a few too many ''awkward-guy moments,'' there are enough genuinely sweet ones to balance them out, especially between Chuck and his cooler, protective older sister …

The New York Times says:

… a very funny new comedy … part spy spoof, part workplace comedy, and it is a genuinely engaging homage to the nerd hero. …

The Los Angeles Times says:

… really fine and funny …

The Washington Post says:

… has a happily palpable likability going for it, a lot of that courtesy of Zachary Levi, who plays the unlikely and in fact unwilling hero. … if the premise and execution remind you of teen-aimed movies with similar setups and characters, at least it should remind you of the good ones, not the lame-o's. …

The Boston Herald says:

… that rare series, a smart show with equal parts drama, comedy and action. … The premiere should be required viewing for anyone making a TV pilot. It’s fast-paced and establishes the premise with a minimum of fuss. … …

Variety says:

… possesses modest charm, impressive stunt work and another mildly appealing reluctant hero. … could fill an escapist void left since "Alias'" demise, albeit here with tongue pressed more firmly in cheek. Of course, if the series can't sustain that formula then it's merely "Jake 3.0" …

The Hollywood Reporter says:

… a smart mix of comedy, sex and danger …

I liked this show.  I was surprised too.  I just decided to take a look while waiting for Heroes to start and I got hooked.  It's really well done and has a nice mix of comedy and action.  Though I was a little confused as to why the NSA and the CIA were trying to kill each other rather than work together.

Archived