DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[TV] Slacker Cats

Mendorah

This is running on ABC Family around 9pm.

I can't decide whether this show is hysterically brilliant or disgusting.  I missed the premiere, so this week is the first episode for me.  And already the two main characters have convinced the insane doomsdayer cat to crawl inside the skin of a cat that succumbed to being roadkill in order to collect a Lost and Found reward.  Gross.

The really funny part is that they are supposed to be on vacation in Mexico, but they missed their flight so they are doing Mexico things at home.

I have to wonder though, how can ABC Family run a show that discusses threesomes and girls rubbing tanning oil on one another with the intent of turning on a guy, and a chick spending the night "in the bushes" with a dead guy.  Granted, they're cats and its on after kids are Supposed to be asleep, but dude....  Isn't ABC Family supposed to have FAMILY programming??  I would most definately not let my kid watch this show.

Although, the ending of the funeral WAS really funny.

Ok, be warned that ABC Family's website has some weird script that freezes up my browser every time I try to look at it.  I had a really good discussion post all finished except for One thing and then I had to shut down the browser.  MAH!

On with the response.

You are right.  Family doesn't necessarily mean kids.  I guess I've just always been of the assumption that the ABC Family network catered to the conservative families who didn't want their kids watching regular TV since to their minds, regular TV is a bit risque.

I am Not one of those people.  I was raised in one of those families, but I am not.  I personally don't watch ABC Family except for Kyle XY, which I think is age appropriate content for young teenagers on up to adults.  It's a good show that balances mostly clean content with sci-fi without being Super Clean so as to turn regular folks off.  And I watched 2/3 of the Fallen series.  It reminded me of a Max Lucado book.  Which makes it appropriate for conservative families.

Anyways, when I went to look at the network website, I noticed that the majority of their prime time lineup is Teeney soap opera fare.  So maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe ABC Family is doing much what the WB did when it brought on Buffy and Dawson's Creek.  Maybe their target audience is more the 15-early 20s set.  I dunno.  It seems to me like they'd have an edgier name than ABC Family if that was the case.  I mean, what teenager would be immediately drawn to a channel that implies it's geared towards family programming?  Unless they're growing up with their viewers and trying to take move over to the market niche that the WB had when it first started gaining momentum.

It probably is as simple as that in reality.  Money and ratings talk.  However, I still wonder about it.  Because the conservative right is what I thought was their target audience.  Slacker Cats is the kind of show that would probably be banned in many conservative homes.  It would have been banned in my home growing up right alongside The Simpsons and Married with Children.

It's just the kind of thing that makes me wonder is all.  I kinda wish I could be a fly on the wall when someone pitched the show to the network to see if they discussed this kind of stuff or not.

Archived