DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

And The Plot Thickens {Atten: Linten}

TaiDashan

OOC: Told ya I wanted to RP some more. Influence away!

Tai'Dashan picked up a dusty pebble and absently tossed it at a larger rock about two feet in front of him. Luckily the horrendous sun had sunk below the tree-line providing small respite. The heat was near unbearable in his black wool uniform. True the heat was bad, but that was not what had him sitting here scrubbing a hand through his hair, lost in thought.

“I should warn you there already exists several Aes Sedai in our happy family.” He watched the boy carefully to gauge his words. “They, for the most part, are well in hand. But you would be wise to watch what you say around them. Most definitely watch what they tell you and how much you take to heart. Remember you are now sworn to the Dragon Reborn, not the Aes Sedai and their belief in being the leaders and true salvation and the Light. As you stated they have a place in the Great Battle. A place under the Dragon Reborn who we serve. Keep that in mind and close to your heart. With that knowledge you will see many things here while you train. Don’t be afraid to ask the questions that will come to your mind if you are truly observant. I will answer what I can should you seek to ask it of me.”

That exchange with Linten at the inn that night had him thinking. Where did he stand? Tai'Dashan didn't know whether he meant Linten or himself. He had been taught that  Aes Sedai were to be respected. After coming here he realised that any channeler should be. What made them special? The Dragon was the Dragon. Every knee should bend for the good of the Light right? He was confused.

Tai'Dashan slowly rose to his feet. He needed some answers and Linten had offered to provide him with some. He strode off hoping to find him in the approaching darkness.

• 1 month later...

OOC:  Wow ... sorry about that ... I didn't even notice this sitting there waiting. Many apologies. Hope you are still interested in this thread.

IC:

The blazing red globe that had bathed the parched dusty earth of the training grounds had finally slipped below the tree line casting an eerie glow to the forest edge. At a quick glance the shards of the setting sun created the impression of a forest consumed by fire, but it was simply an illusion. No smoke rose save for that still smoldering from a days training; straw and tree alike that had met with the focused or not so focused weave of those that trained. There were so many that came now for training, that requested to learn. How greatly things had changed after the Lord Dragons decree. But one very ugly matter never changed, not for those that dawned the black. Men were pushed too hard and fast for most part. A necessity yes, but it was beginning to take it's toll on the ranks, If the Great Battle did not come soon there may be no one of rank left to fight in it. Equally bad was the fact they were still too weak in there knowledge. Too many weaves of the past still alluded their grasp. The witches surely had the information coveted away in the bowels of their great White Tower of lies. Yet the likelihood of them ever sharing that information did not even resister as remote.

He kicked a stone at his feet, dispelling a soft thin cloud of dust. There had to be a way to break the one's they had. Break them in a way that they would serve the Lord Dragon to the end in utmost obedience. Then the Lord Dragon himself could simply ask for the weaves and they would be given. But first the witches had to be broken, and for that Linten would need more men. More men strong enough to understand and see the truth for what it was and the cringing cowards that protected their precious lying wenches. Absentmindedly Linten wove a thread a fire and set it to the stone as it rolled over the ground. Solid form became a careening bubble of molten rock. Searing the vegetation in its path. There are many ways to convince and loosen a tongue. It's just about time I had another visit with one of my two favorite pets. The soft sound of scuffling shoes brought his head around slowly, eyes seeking the source while his mind began the order of a rather nasty surprise.

It was only after recognition placed the boy's face to an earlier meeting did he resist the urge to build the actual weave. Instead a placid smile pulled at the corners of his mouth. “Tai'Dashan isn't it? You do not look like a man who has practiced hard from sun up to sun down. Perhaps you do not believe the  Great Battle looms ever near?” His penetrating gaze remained focused on the boy's face. He had not gotten a true indication of where the boy stood on his scale of usefulness.

OOC: No problem, just glad someone decided to finally blow the dust off their keyboard and join me. I was starting to think I was the only one RP'ing in the BT anymore.  :-\

As he wandered across the training grounds, Tai'Dashan mulled Linten over in his thoughts and what he represented. A gruff voice roused him out of his thoughts.

“Tai'Dashan isn't it? You do not look like a man who has practiced hard from sun up to sun down. Perhaps you do not believe the  Great Battle looms ever near?”

Tai'Dashan looked up and found the object of his wandering standing there smiling at him. Tai'Dashan gazed thoughtfully at Linten's eyes. They still held that murderous glint. Was it madness, or just a dangerous man? Tai'Dashan prefered to think it a mix. No matter his thoughts on Linten's disposition, Tai'Dashan needed answers. He bowed gracefully and replied to the spoken question.

"Tai'Dashan it is." straightening Tai'Dashan smiled easily at the man and started in on what might be a big mistake. "Arath had other matters to attend to, but that is not what I came to speak to you about. I have been thinking on our discussion of the," He paused and purposefully left out the honorific, noting the pleased smile on Linten's face. "women among us who can channel."  He could approach this in a few different ways and considered each before continuing. Finally he chose the direct path and left the "maneuvering" for a later option if need arose.

"I have been taught my entire life to respect them. Since coming here I understand that any channeler should be respected, especially those among us that willingly face madness and much worse for the glory of the Light and the Dragon Reborn. But these women, these witches, can channel with out fear of the taint or danger, as casually as they smooth their skirts. While night and day we breathe, live, and die, to one end. To serve the Dragon. I guess that what I am trying to say is that for the good of the Light, those that refuse to bend their knee to the Dragon must needs be bent. Do you disagree?" Tai'Dashan watched closely his Dedicated acquaintance. Waiting for some reaction to tell him what the other man felt. Light but he could be as unreadable as the Aes Sedai he so clearly despised!

• 2 weeks later...

The absence of the witches title was a pleasing thing to hear. But still a mere tinkering at what could be. Games filled with traps and false doors ran rampant in this age. It was only through careful observation and scrutiny of words that one could determine the true hearts desire. Tai'Dashan was beginning to look more like a person he could work with. It was now a matter to find out if what he spoke held true to his heart and if the lad was moldable to the purpose he would require. Linten made no movement as his mind whirled through possibilities and pulled forth passages he would try to use.

“You speak in interesting terms. To force the will of one on another is not exactly a professed or accepted thought even here in the home where we die learning. Some hold true to the belief that the female channelers are the lights true gift and messengers to help carry this age through the battle of darkness. That it is the Dragon that will heed their words and wishes and through that teaching will the world be safe. How is it you are so sure that what others in high ranks believe and the world populous as a majority thinks is so wrong?” This was wear some of the boys true heart would come out. The way he reacted to subtly confrontation and how strongly he was willing to defend his statements. They alone would not give a clear picture, but they would paint the background for the portrait that would come to bear before Linten was done educating the lad. Educating him if he was worthy that is ... cutting him loose to the masses if he was not, and disposing of him if indeed he learned too much before Linten could secure him in a way trusting.

“You speak in interesting terms. To force the will of one on another is not exactly a professed or accepted thought even here in the home where we die learning. Some hold true to the belief that the female channelers are the lights true gift and messengers to help carry this age through the battle of darkness. That it is the Dragon that will heed their words and wishes and through that teaching will the world be safe. How is it you are so sure that what others in high ranks believe and the world populous as a majority thinks is so wrong?”

Tai'Dashan gazed thoughtfully at the man before answering. "I believe that people should have a choice. That no one can take that choice away from them. I just think that if they make the wrong choice, an unpleasant enough alternative needs be presented to 'encourage' them to choose correctly." a grin touched his lips at the word encourage. "Especially if that choice is for the good of the Light and the Dragon Reborn." He continued. "You can not force someone to make a choice. The more you apply pressure to take away that choice and make it your own, the more resistant people become. However," His speech quickened as he got excited about the topic. "People can be persuaded to make a choice surprisingly easily." Heading toward some rocks to sit down Tai'Dashan paused and then continued when Linten channeled stone chairs for the two. "The Lord Dragon must fight at the Last Battle. So far he has fufilled prophesy on his own no matter what those women of the white tower say. The witches will not fight the Dark One, the Dragon will. And unless they are here to aid him they are here to stop him. My job is to destroy any obstacle in his way."

Tai'Dashan smiled at Linten. "Now explain to me what you think and how I am wrong."

Chuckling he waited for a reply.

The boy was bold. Perhaps too bold. If Linten decided to make use of this new opportunity before him the first thing the child would need to learn is more tact. But it was an easy enough skill to embed in Tai'Dashan, especially while the boy was still amiable and capable of learning quickly. Time was of the essence as the wheel waited on no one. He noted how Tai'Dashan's voice quickened and crept higher with anticipated excitement; almost reaching a vibrating state. There was a greater probability that his heart was true to his vocalization. There was a simple enough test for that, but it could wait briefly for now. His pet's were not going anywhere soon. His eyes followed the boy as he moved off to a pile of rock and waited with an anticipative grin plastered to his face. Another thing Linten would have to work on if the boy came into the fold. Dropping his arms to his side, that had been loosely folded low across his chest, Linten moved to the rock pile and seized Saidin. The ice cold chill ripped through his body in equal time to the vial film of oily decay that coated him. Always with Saidin and it's sweet power came the stomach wrenching vial of the Dark Lord.

With two chairs now before them Tai'Dashan made short order of filling his before Linten had released the One Power and settled into his own. “An interesting way to look at thing for sure young Tai'Dashan. Though many would argue that by choosing what is the right decision and guiding people to it is equal to the task of removing their decision and telling them how their decision is to be. Tis a dangerous game to play to be sure. More so when you factor in the skills and knowledge of those that call the White Tower home. Even with out their ability to be one with Saidar, they are trained deeply in the artful game of deception and misdirection.” His eyes floated lazily across the yard while he spoke; as if the telling were simply another conversation as to what shade of black they should be using for their uniforms and if the Dragon would agree. “As for wear you are wrong,” he paused his eyes settling on the boy and danger once more twinkled in their corners. He continued but his voice floated across the short distance between them with no emotion in it. The lack making his words seem even colder.

“Your methods seem simple enough, but their application is not so easily done as said. A bold tongue in unknown company can find it missing rather quickly here. Games are played here as they are else where. The difference is it is easier to explain the charred remains as a training accident here then it is else wear.” He waited a moment to ensure his words took hold. “Subtlety is easily spoken, but when pitted against a viper it can cost your life without realizing it. If I might inquire as to an example of one of these unpleasant enough alternatives, as you put it, that would find change in the mind of one from the white. Would I receive a worthy example? Or retold rhetoric?”

"If I might inquire as to an example of one of these unpleasant enough alternatives, as you put it, that would find change in the mind of one from the white. Would I receive a worthy example? Or retold rhetoric?”

Tai'Dashan fought the urge to run at the look in Linten's eye and quickly realized he would have to tread more carefully with this one. It was like a game of stones he realized. His one weakness in the game was that he would charge forward eagerly with his offense only to find he had blindly cornered himself. Linten was right, doing that here could get him killed. Tai'Dashan looked Linten dead in the eye.

"Every man has two sides to him, just as the One Power has two halfs. There is balance in everything. I have a darker side that could supply you with many a twisted nightmare, just waiting to be unleashed on someone in the name of Justice. But who is to say that that would be a path that would serve the greater good? I walk in the Light." His eyes hardened making sure Linten understood this fact while questioning the man of the same. "But I will not deny that sometimes unsavory methods must be applied to further the objectives of the Light. Some say murder is an act of the Shadow. How many people has the Dragon killed? How many would he kill to ensure his victory at Tarmon'Gaidon?" Tai'Dashan gazed levelly at Linten, deciding it was time for boldness again.

"I guess what I am really saying to you Dedicated Linten, is that a cat likes to be scratched. Wether you scratch it and get a purr or wether you scratch it and get a claw is all up to you."