DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sleep for the Ambitious (Part II)

Guest Celes

Guest Celes

The room was lit up by a few candles, barely enough light to read by, yet the Gray did not mind as she sat perusing the article in her hand. It was a copy of the new tax law and Dawn wanted to understand it in full before getting into a debate on how right it was for whom. Phaedra had explained to her the nature of the law but had not been very specific, she felt that Dawn should do her own research and maybe find her own loopholes and solutions. Hearing Phaedra speak to her about what she needed to do and how she could handle the mediations between Lord Dehan and Lord Harold, she had felt on top of the world. Later that day she had spoken with her good friend and former mentee Nyssa, who had only lit up the fires of passion about what could result from a job well done in Cairhien. And now, here in Cairhien City, in a room in the Wild Bore inn, reading the tax law by the light of a candle, that fire had not died down in Dawn. In fact, it only became more fierce as on her first two days here she had met with both lords and spoken in general about their lives and work. It was important not to dig into the problems right away and she had spent both tea time and a dinner with each of them to become acquainted.

Looking up from the papers, Dawn noticed that the sun was now completely gone from the sky and the moon was rising, a half cycle which meant that it would not be very light out. However, despite the little light, Dawn felt like taking a walk and clear her head before she went to sleep. It was undoable to sleep after reading a forty page law review, which she had studied and gone over most of the night now. Rising, she donned a deep blue cloak over her cream colored dress and slipped into a pair of low leather boots. Sovald Rul, the guard she had asked to come along was sleeping in the room next door and it would not hurt to ask if he was still up. She removed the ward placed around her room and put a new one up, so she would know if someone had entered her room in her absence. Even in friendly territory like Cairhien, Dawn did not like to take risks.

In the corridor, she made a small bulb of light dance on her hand, an old novice trick and walked towards his room door. She knocked and waited for him to answer, hoping not to wake him up with her request for a late night walk. They had become quite close over time and she enjoyed his company since they shared it in Aringill and again in the Tower a few times. He was a quiet man, but when he did speak she found it easy to listen and discuss matters that interested him. Mostly they were military, but on their journey to Cairhien, Dawn found he knew quite a bit about the general culture of this land and even hinted at being a help in her work. She had gladly accepted it and would do so, if she could only get passed the odd moments of blushes and long silences there still seemed to arise between them. Her thoughts were disturbed as he opened the door and she nodded, a brief smile, “I hope I did not wake you? I was wondering if you’d accompany me on a late night stroll, Master Rul?†then smiled warmly and tucked the cloak around her, waiting for him to agree.

Dawn Raelene

Sister of the Gray Ajah

- - - - - He was not one to take anything in life lightly, living a life of war and blood. Dawn... she was certainly different. Something about her. He wasn't sure what it was -- his meeting of her had not been at all on good terms -- being dressed down as a Guard -- and then the trip to Aringill. It was there... There that he had, he guessed, began to see her as such. She was a Gray, not the Ajah that Sovald normally identified with, but again, she was different. And, he had to admit, she was quite pretty as well. To say the least, her flaxe.... Not that path. She was a woman, and an Aes Sedai, whom he was sworn to protect with his very life. It had still been a bit of surprise for her to invite him with her on this trip, but... he had to admit, it had been good for him. He had come to the Tower a quiet recluse, and lived on his own, staying away from having any real close contacts. Trust, people, committment to fragile things was dangerous. Especially to Aes Sedai. For Dawn Sedai, though, that had began to change, if only a little. But it was a little, and more than anyone else had got out of him. She had even found some way to get his attention when he was off-duty -- truth be told, he wasn't sure what to think. Gray she may be, but even Gray tie the strings that the Greens were famous for. Once he had been requested to come... the way here had been pleasant, albeit filled with silences and spurts of talking, and strange moments that made Sovald realize he would never understand women. Her blushes, the almost... shy look that she got on her face. Distracting, entertaining... so many different things. He shook his head, and turned his attention back to the book, his eyelids growing steadily heavier.

- - - - - When, after some time he had drifted off, his ears heard a knocking, and he sat upright, nearly dropping his book. Shaking his head and rubbing his eyes, he got out of bed and padded over to the door carefully, hand at the ready. Opening it cautiously, he relaxed when he saw it was only Dawn. Or just Dawn. She smiled at him, a beautiful smile that gleamed by the light of... whatever that was in her hand. "I was wondering if you’d accompany me on a late night stroll, Master Rul?†He blinked twice, still hearing the question, then focused his eyes.

- - - - - "If you would give me but a moment, Aes Sedai.." Undecided for a moment between the rudeness and safety concerns of leaving her in the hall, and letting her in... he pulled the door open wider for her, turning to slip a few more knives on and pull a cloak down to go over his shoulders. Smiling briefly, he bowed to her, and she went as far as to offer him her arm. His smile twinkled for a moment, unsure, then he took it, and their steps made a faint sound on the stairs as they slipped out the door into the starlit night, where the air had just a touch of crispness to it. Her hair hung down over her shoulder, glowing by the moonlight... A silent night, for the city, but there was something in the air, something... somber. He could almost taste it.

Guest Celes

The little light bulb dancing on Dawn’s hand evaporated into the air as they stepped outside. Dawn smiled as she turned towards her companion, “I have not been here before, but it looks familiar somehow,†she said and started to walk towards the street that crossed the one that had their inn. They walked for a bit in silence when Dawn stopped silently before the Cairhien Court House. She took a deep breath and looked up at the majestic building, “You know, one of our Gray Sisters used to be a High Court Judge, she worked here and returned to sit in the Hall. Though I am not sure she was very happy about her move,†Dawn was not sure why she chose to share this information, so she continued as if nothing had happened. “I would not like to leave a place like this, so majestic, a place where you can actually do something and see the effects on it directly,†she looked over at Sovald, “Is that how life in the Yards is for you? You see the effects of your training, of your work every day?†she smiled and tapped her lip.

As they walked on, Dawn found the streets looked empty somehow, where they bustled with life when they had entered the city, they now seemed void of life. She kept looking up at the sky, as if something would come down over them, as if that was why everyone was inside their homes. Not that fact that it was after midnight and only beggars and drunks sought the streets in Cairhien this late. “Silly of me to want to have a walk this late at night, but it sometimes helps to clear my head,†Dawn said and looked up at the man her friend and trusted Sister had called a stone-faced Borderlander who could blush as an Aes Sedai put him in his place, yet she never had, not with Sovald. She had never put him in his place as he had never given her reason to, nor would he she was sure. Looking up into his dark stormy gray eyes she smiled again and placed a hand softly on his cheek, then pulled him down, feeling his breathe graze over her skin. Her lips gently brushed over his into a kiss that seemed for a few moments to last forever, then she moved her head back and stared into his eyes, a smile fading over her lips as she could only stare into his eyes. The moment hanging in the air like their kiss, his lips still lingering on her lips like a moment lost in time.

Dawn

- - - - - He glanced over at Dawn as they walked, wandering aimlessly about the city. Sovald was not very familiar with the city, so it was Dawn who truly knew where they were going. Sovald didn't mind being led, not by her, not in this fashion, at least. He entertained himself admiring both the city and the woman next to him. The building that she stopped at, staring up with a... wistful smile, memories no doubt flowing back to her as she breathed deeply of the night air. Her soft voice echoed in the ears as she told him about the building -- a courthouse. She turned her head to him, her beautiful eyes washing over him -- he could feel them, yet he had not embraced the Oneness. “I would not like to leave a place like this, so majestic, a place where you can actually do something and see the effects on it directly. Is that how life in the Yards is for you? You see the effects of your training, of your work every day?†She turned back away then, giving Sovald time to think about it. Was it? Or was it something deeper, something more? An interesting question. For often, while the day to day improvement of the trainees existed, it was only over a long-term that a significant change could be seen -- the shaping and grinding of a weapon. Their pace slowed even more, then finally stopped, as Dawn turned her head this way and that, staring up into the sky. “Silly of me to want to have a walk this late at night, but it sometimes helps to clear my head...†A faint bit of color was in her cheeks, not from the air, but something else. She was certainly beautiful. Her tender hand reached out gently touching his face -- Sovald was unsure -- this was an Aes Sedai! There was little he could do though, even if he wanted to, and that was questionable... They just stared at each other for a few moments, her eyes, her whole face dimly illuminated. Sovald felt himself leaning over as her hands gently guided his face down to hers. A soft touch on his lips, as she brushed hers past... He was kissing an Aes Sedai?! Was he crazy? His mind raged, but he simply let his body float there, until the sweetness of her lips left his, and she was again gazing deeply at him, her dark eyes pools to him.

- - - - - Even as he looked into her eyes, he felt the urge to put his lips against hers again. It was insanity of course, not to mention horribly wrong. He was a Guard, she a Sedai. Not to mention the complications, and the problem with... with... having that sort of feeling for someone he had to protect. It had been bliss. And forbidden. He must remind himself of that, something extremely hard while looking into her eyes, a gaze that he truly did not want to break. How could the night go on, after something like that? Was it possible? It took a mountain of will to turn away from that moment. Her fingers traced over his face, lingering as if memorizing every contour. He took his arm, but the feeling was different. What could he say after that? "Every day is an adventure... Dawn." The voice was light on the tounge. "That sort of feeling is what inspires me every day.... Sometimes I see results, and those times are extremely gratifying, but... I cannot rely on things like that. But to look forward to it, and wait for it, that is truly a good feeling, one that can drive a person day to day." He felt the warmth of her at his side, a.. comfort. Strange that he should need such a thing. They walked in silence for a bit longer, Sovald's head churning. "What about you Dawn? You live as a servant, but do you have that day-to-day gratification? What keeps a woman like you strong?" His voice was soft and harsh against the silence of the night. "What would you do, what would you have been...." He stopped for a moment. "If you were... could not channel?"

Guest Celes

She had kissed him, he had kissed her and now they were walking along in the knowledge of what had happened just moments before. Sovald seemed to take it well and replied to one of her questions, it seemed so long ago that she had asked him. All Dawn could do was smile and take his hand, then release it again, realizing what she was doing and how silly she was acting. The moon illuminated the sky as they walked past a large green garden, when Sovald asked her what it was like for her to be a Servant. It was not an easy question to answer and she kept silent to ponder over this.

“What keeps a woman like you strong?†Dawn smiled at this question and said, “I think it’s men like you,†then winked and said, “That, and the fact that this is my place in the world, I became an Aes Sedai, I trained to use my ability and skill to help others and to Serve the Light,†not really an answer that was truly her own, it was more of a general reply she would give to a novice. “It is something I grew into, in my years of training in the Tower I learnt about what I could do, what my gift of being able to channel and my studies in the great library in the Tower can accomplish. It is not just that I can make a light dance over my hands,†she showed him and then added, “It is also that I get to study centuries of knowledge written up by those who went before me and help those who need me.â€

On his question was she would be if she had never studied in the Tower, Dawn smiled and said, “I’d be married, mother of ten and working in Illian, my husband would either be a fisherman or an innkeeper like my family,†he stared at her as if in disbelief. “It’s true, my family owned the Home of the Horn Inn, just over the Bridge of Flowers, I might have worked there all my life, together with my sisters.†It would not have been a bad life, back when Dawn was traveling to the Tower to study as a novice, she had wished for nothing better. There was only one thing she would have rather done. As they came close to the inn again, Dawn continued and said, “I think I like you so much because you remind me of someone,†he looked at her and she smiled, looking into his eyes. “My cousin, he was my best friend in the whole world, he was a Hunter for the Horn of Valere and we would travel around the world together, to find it.â€

They reached the inn and Dawn wondered if this was just a magical night, a moment between them in between the hard work of trying to reunite the two lords she worked for. She would need to send a report to Phaedra in the morning, maybe write it tonight as she was still to much alive to sleep now. How would their Ajah Head feel about a Gray not going out of her way all night to find a way to solve the mediation, but instead going out for a moonlight stroll and kissing the man who was supposed to guard her. Ah, but she is old and gray in the very essence of the word, she can’t understand, I don’t even know that I understand. She took Sovald’s hand and said, “Thank you for a lovely evening, Master Rul. I hope we shall both sleep comfortably tonight,†then lightly kissed him on his cheek and allowed him to show her inside.

Dawn

- - - - - She was beautiful, that much he had to admit. As they strode the streets, arm-in-arm, little different from others in the city... except they were, both bound to the Tower by different oaths. Greenery shone faintly as they passed, and Dawn turned to him. “I think it’s men like you.†Her smile and a wink made that statement go a little further. As she spoke, her expression changed... turning to happier thoughts, it seemed, before she looked back up at Sovald. "It is not just that I can make a light dance over my hands, it is also that I get to study centuries of knowledge written up by those who went before me and help those who need me." Her available hand she held out before her, as a light sprung forth, momentarily ruining Sovald's vision. He listened to her almost musical voice, as she told him about her familly. How had he gotten to the point where an Aes Sedai was telling her all about her past? A past dead by a hundred years and more, no doubt, but something that was still beyond anything he had known before of them. That she thought of being a mother of ten... that had him staring. He had not thought of Aes Sedai as wanting a family... They turned down the street, and there the inn was. She looked up, taking his eyes into hers again. “I think I like you so much because you remind me of someone..." He could barely hear beyond that, lost in the eyes. How could he perform his duty like this? Her hand slipped in his as she stood on the tips of her toes, lightly brushing her lips on his cheek. What had everything come to, taking kisses from Aes Sedai? Was he a tame dog? He pushed the door open for her, his hand tight on hers. Had he put it there? No, no, of course not... But it was. They went up the steps, hand in hand, not making a sound. What if someone stepped out, some other people? What would they see? Did it really matter to Sovald? Stopping in front of the door to Dawn's room, their fingers remained intertwined for a few moments. Could he find it in himself to lean down and.. Just as he was, Dawn smiled at him and tugged on his hand. "Won't you come in for some tea? It was... chilly out there." Her eyes were dancing now as her door cracked open, the faint firelight reflecting off of them.

- - - - - This was crazy. Having tea with an Aes Sedai in the middle of the night... but he let himself be tugged inside. She went for a teapot, as he squatted and prodded the fire to life. It blazed around, throwing off sparks, as Sovald straightened. The teapot grew to a whistle quickly... the Power, it must have been. It was odd getting used to having the power around him. Working in the Yards, it wasn't something that was often around, certainly not as much as some people might think. Dawn slid a chair next to hers at the small table, and Sovald lowered his body into it. She did the pouring, extending the cup to him... and that brief contact as their skin touched again sent shivers up his back.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Celes

Tea was such a good excuse for busy hands, her hands felt busy, wriggling her skirts and warming up, then growing cold again. She asked him to take a seat and busied herself with herbs and hot water while trying not to stare at the man who was her guard here, to protect her, not to sweep her off her feet and fill her head with dreams and silliness. Yet they had kissed and she would have to deal with that one way or another. As she pored them both a cup and sat down, Dawn looked over the man’s face and smiled, realizing that this was probably already coming to an end. He seemed to be studying her face and Dawn decided to keep the silence a bit longer, she enjoyed it as words might break this fragile feeling that hung in the air.

They sat for a while and Dawn poured a second cup for herself, Sovald declined and then she had to ask. She had to say something, if just for a meaningless comment, when they heard a noise. Dawn rose but Sovald was already on his feet, he walked up to the window and Dawn followed him, quietly. He nodded as he pushed the curtain back, “Just an animal, a cat maybe,†Dawn looked and nodded, the hairs in her neck risen. “I should get some sleep Master Rul,†she said, distant as if pushing him out already. The stir from outside, even just a cat running after a prey or jumping down from a ledge was enough to break the silence and magic that had filled her head for a few long moments. They stood there, in the dim lit room staring at each other, waiting for the other person to make a move when Sovald moved towards the door. He was a dutiful man who seemed to want to serve his duty above anything else and before anything else. It was admirable and he nodded, saying he would check out the noise to be sure but thought it was probably just the cat. Dawn mentioned she appreciated this and wished him a good night.

She stared out of the window for a bit, but could not seem to find Sovald as he checked the outside, yet by her weave around the door and the corridor just outside she could hear him return a good ten minutes later. She then heard his door close and stopped listening so intently, it was ridiculous and she should sleep, like she had told him she would. This night’s events had confused the Gray and she hoped that things would resolve itself in the morning. Finally, she went to bed and had a short but good rest as she woke early to prepare for the next day’s events.

For the next few days, Dawn drowned herself in the work and hardly saw much of Sovald Rul at all. He was like a shadow, always near and never more than a few feet away unless he was asked to wait outside by one of the parties she was mediating for. They ate together in silence, or he waited for her after a dinner with Lord Dehan, where she tried to limit the conversation about he case at hand and get to know this man a little better. He was an important figure in Cairhien and a personal friend of Phaedra Eskarne, who had sent Dawn on this particular mission. This evening, Dawn started on a letter that she was going to send out to Phaedra Eskarne to explain the situation she was in at the moment. It might be good to add the small note she received earlier that day, or at least make mention of it. Phaedra should hear the whole story. Dawn took up a pencil, ink and parchment when she heard a knock on her door. A young man stood in the corridor holding a letter that was sealed by the seal of Lord Dehan. Dawn thanked him and paid him a coin, then closed the door and read the note. It was a formal invitation for a dinner the next evening, to discuss the matter at hand and hopefully reach a solution. It did not say if the other party, Lord Allistor Harold would also be present. Dawn thought about going and decided she would, as this was a good point to start from, an opening for a solution.

“Dear Sister,

Phaedra, I hope this letter finds you well as I send it in the best of health and with the best of my ability will I report to you as promised. As I sit here writing, I am contemplating recent events concerning this case you sent me on in Cairhien. I find myself worried that I might not find a solution that will bring welfare to both the parties involved and to the Tower. We seek an agreement, yet stumble over problems and issues that I might not have been able to foresee, or could have foreseen if my experience in mediation was greater. I trust that you see something in me that can resolve this issue and I hope you are right dear Sister, for I am lying awake most nights pondering what the next step shall be.

Lord Dehan is a charm, friendly and well-spoken, interested in speaking about the world, the politics of his country and the general politics of an alliance with the Tower. Yet, when we reach the point of Lord Harold’s involvement and the reason for my presence here in Cairhien, he shuts down and his face betrays no emotion that I can go on. I have met with Lord Harold only once in a private setting. He prefers to keep me out of the discussion and has made that very clear to me two days ago in our meeting. Since then I have met with both of them for an extended lunch yesterday and we came to no agreement. Dear Sister, I ask that you send your wisdom over to me, for there is so much I do not know. The background of this problem is a blur to me and it is not working in my best interest.

Tomorrow evening I am invited to appear at a formal, private dinner with the family of Lord Dehan. To resolve the issue, his invite stated, but I am not sure it can be as it made no mention of the presence of Lord Harold. I know this letter will not reach you in time to answer the question that will drive me half mad most of the night, should I go there and find this solution or host a dinner of my own to try and find a neutral ground. The guard, Master Rul is one of few people I can trust and he is not the person to put this burden on. I shall have to weigh my options this evening as by first light I wish to decline or accept this invitation. Sister, I hope this letter finds you well and that I see your reply with first light.

With kind regards,

Your Sister and Servant,

Dawn Raeleneâ€

The letter was sealed and placed in the care of an older woman who had been a part of the Gray’s network for many years now. Dawn knew it would find Phaedra within the next few days and hoped the reply would come swiftly, in the meantime she would have to find an answer herself. One that would not bring harm to the negotiaitions. Her biggest worry was that declining the invitation would hurt her position in the grace of Lord Dehan. Yet accepting it, without the presence of Allistor Harold there that could resolve into an even bigger problem. The headache that erupted from pondering over this problem made it hard for Dawn to find sleep, but she finally did.

OOC: Not a very open ending, but followed by a POV from Sovald maybe?

Guest Celes

OOC: With Sovald on LOA already there is no real point in me waiting for him…till September

IC:

Sleep came finally as Dawn laid herself to rest in the inn, her mind boggling with ideas and problems that she wanted to solve. The letter had been written and Phaedra would soon find it and reply, until then the Gray had to find her own way of dealing with this. She had set some wards around her room and listened quietly as the ruffling of the leaves outside her window drifted her off to sleep. The dream she had was restless, filled with faces of unknown, all asking her to solve their problems for them only never explaining what these problems were. Dawn woke up panting, her heart racing and her hair clinging to her back in a cold sweat. She sat upright and then decided to try and sleep again, nightmares were part of the way her body dealt with the pressure and she expected to sleep calmer now that the worst was over. Dawn closed her eyes, turned on her side and fell into a deep sleep. She opened a door, stepped through and expected to wake up again when she found the door closing behind her. Her hand reached for the door knob, but it was no use, for as soon as the door had closed completely, it vanished into thin air. What happened? What kind of a dream was this and more importantly, when would Dawn wake up from this nightmare?

OOC: You’re up M’bela! :)

M'bela closed her eyes, she had things to do tonight, and knew her sleep would be sparse because of it. When she fell asleep it was to wake in the world she had learned to walk so long ago. She looked around, time was difrent in here, she shifted to cairhien, it was time to see if any new reports had come in to her contact there. The girl served faitfully leaving anything in the box she had goten, of course she had no idea why and that M'bela checked messages from the dream.

Opening the box she skimmed though the notes hastily, nothing of importance, not for her now at any rate.

She let the box close and where about to leave to get some sleep when she heard a sound, looking into the hallway she saw someone enter. Just her luck, frustration where generaly high now a day, she would have to get loose bether sooner than later, till then anyone lucky enough to stumble on her path when she visited became posible victims to get out some steam on.

The woman would have walked rigth out if not discovered by M'bela who instantly locked her to her dream and changed tel'aran'rihod into her favourite seting for this, a dark cellar. Changing her look too just to be sure, it never hurt beeing carefull. Brown eyes grew blue and youth donned her skin that where turning milky white where it normaly where dark, her hair became bronze blonde.

She stayed in her shadows to observe the woman to lay her plans, looking closer she where pleased to find the other beeing a channeler, the woman was confused and M'bela wasnt gonna let her get over that. She swiftly grabed saidar and had the weave ready to shield the woman, slaming it in place experiently. She could but hope it was one of those kids from the tower, they where such much more fun than those wilder girls. The Aes Sedais had some spine, playing with them where such a challenge.

M'bela awaited to see how the woman reacted and moved about trying to get a look on the womans hands to see if she had a ring or not. For now she was content leting the womans imagination work at her, at least untill she had some clue of who she was and how she reacted, knowing your toy was the best way to strike the most terror in them.

Guest Celes

Fumbling her fingers over each other, feeling the ring heavy on her hand, her skin tingling with the sensation of change around her, Dawn tried not to grasp for breathe. She had stepped through a door, into a corridor and suddenly it had all changed and she was in a basement. Dreams could go funny like that sometimes and she tried to accept that this was no different. The Lords she worked with were both cunning and manipulative, but they surely could not haunt her dream any more than by a self inflicted nightmare. She decided to take a few steps when suddenly everything went cold around her. Taking a step forward, she reached out her hand and then did something she had never tried to do in a dream, reach out for Saidar. It did not work, it was as if it was not there at all and she could not reach it. Dawn frowned, maybe she could not channel in a dream, as it was merely a spin of her mind, a trick while her body rested.

She tried again, against better judgment and this time, it was as if Saidar was there, just out of reach. This was very strange and Dawn reached out her hand, as if to grab it. It seemed to be so close, yet so far away. Suddenly, a mirror appeared in front of Dawn, she looked into it and saw herself, dressed in the light blue dress she had worn that day, her hair loosely around her shoulders, her deep blue eyes warm and yet hesitant to look back into the mirror’s reflection. Then the mirror passed and she took another few steps, a young woman suddenly appeared in view. She had a fresh complexion and reminded Dawn of her younger sister. She smiled at the woman, thinking this might be part of her dream, to meet someone similar to her sister whom had died so many years ago. For only Aes Sedai could live as long as she did, holding on to Saidar as part of her daily routine aged her beyond her family. “Hello?†she heard herself say, “Who are you?†this was quite odd, Dawn usually did not speak in her dreams but maybe this was just a different kind of dream. One where she took a bit more control, she tried to relax but could not help fidgeting with her fingers. What was going on here?

Dawn

Unaware and a bit stupid ;)

• 2 weeks later...

M'bela was content with studying and smirked as the women started talking.

“Hello?†She started weaving fire and air, tied up with spirit, just a small weave. “Who are you?â€

Leting it go she watched it nick the womens sleve and some of her arm in a shallow wound. "Rule 1 dont speak unless spoken too"

M'bela faded and shifted so she where on the other side of the room behind the woman, using her talent this time she imagined a strong wind bullet hiting into the woman carying her and slaming her to the wall. "Rule 2 you dont get to ask questions"

M'bela steped out of the shadows as she wove treads of air to tie the woman down. "Litle children shouldnt come where they dont belong..tsk tsk" Time would still show if she let the Aes Sedai go as she she looked at the behated snake ring. Grasping the womans head with a pale hand she almost felt herself shuder over the aperance she had chosen, but she knew it protected her well if something went wrong or should she chose to let the girl live. Turning the head so she could look into the eyes of her victim to savour fear she smiled "whats your name child." she knew it would be cold blue eyes meeting those of the woman.

Guest Celes

Child? Who did this woman think she was? Some insolent child who wandered around in dreams and...wait a minute, this was Dawn’s dream, was it not? She was confused and found herself stammering her name, “Dawn,†and then looked around to see where the woman had moved off to. It was strange how real this dream felt, she had never had such a vivid dream before and yet, it was not reality as she knew it and felt it every day. Dawn’s hand moved over her arm and she pinched it, cried out in a muffled fashion and then turned her attention back to the woman.

Her lack of attention had made her miss a question the woman posed and then it became what Dawn could only describe as a nightmare, she could feel something burning in her cabs and it was as if unseen whips were cracking at her legs. She jumped back but it did her no good, the pain kept following her. Then it stopped all of a sudden and the woman’s eyes met with Dawn’s. “Tell me, where are you?†she asked Dawn who looked up confused, what did this woman in her dream know and how come her legs hurt so badly. This was nothing like Dawn had ever felt before and she was confused, hurt and hoping to wake up soon.

“I’m in Cairhien, I am here in my bed in an inn fast asleep and you are ruining my rest with this silly nightmare,†this earned her a hard blow to the head. The woman had not moved an inch, but Dawn did, she dropped down on the floor and felt her head pounding and head a ringing in her ears. Was this some kind of inner message from her brain that she needed to be more careful? Maybe this was her fear of what could happen if she ruined the negotiations between the two lords, maybe that was why the pain felt so real. Her fear was very real. “Let me wake up now, I need to wake up now!†Dawn called out to the woman and pinched her arm again. Nothing happened.

Dawn

M'bela hardly listened to the answers she got, but just kept pushing on punishing weaves when the woman didnt do as she had been instructed...and finaly she couldnt help but laugh.

“I’m in Cairhien, I am here in my bed in an inn fast asleep and you are ruining my rest with this silly nightmare,†M'bela shook her head as the woman went on.

“Let me wake up now, I need to wake up now!â€M'bela watched her with a grin, "so you want to weak up now...silly litle witch this is my dream and i control it not you...your ruined rest should be the lesser of your consern..." M'bela let silence follow for a while, and then with a flick of her hand produced a snake to excist rigth on top of the womans shoulder...she watched it move around the neck to the other shoulder..

"I could let it kill you...or maybe i should kill you myself...and you would never wake ..." M'bela walked a litle closer looking into the womans eyes, "your fate is in my hand now child...you should beg for your preacious life...give me a reason to let you wake again and not just remove you from the pattern..kill your litle tread of fate.."

M'bela moved and moved the woman with her till they where in Tar Valon inside the white tower.."this you know yes..your preacious litle toy fortress...but it dont make you any safer..." Moving over to a window she looked into the gardens a moment and imagined trollocs runing around.."come come watch how your precious tower has fallen from it greatness...no humans left not in hiding..only creatures of the dark.."

M'bela laughed...the woman wouldnt be the wiser..if she let her go then the scars would still be there and if those where real then why not the rest, it would be an agony for the woman to think on that the ligth city of them all had fallen to the shaddow..if only for a moment..

Guest Celes

What was wrong with this dream, why was Dawn so unable to grab control over the situation? She was unsure and wanted it to end, now. The strange woman said something about Dawn being in her dream, how could that be? Dawn sighed and felt her ribs, she was bruised and it hurt when she took deep breaths. Trying to calm herself, she took slower breaths and waited, she was not sure what she was waiting for but it was all she could do. The woman moved to the window and the room somehow changed, a window appeared, or had it always been there already? Dawn walked over to it and looked out as the woman spoke. Trollocs? Dawn panted, her back was damp with sweat and her eyes grew big with fear, where did they come from? And would they be able to hurt her like the woman had?

She took a step back and watched as the woman laughed and spoke of this prison she had put Dawn in. Then suddenly, a door appeared, this time Dawn was sure it had not been there before. The door was thrown open and a beastlike creature appeared. The woman laughed even harder and Dawn tried to step back, but she was somehow frozen to the ground. Fear struck her down and then the beastlike creature was hovering over her. He smacked a large claw and hit her over the head. Dawn fell back and hit her head hard against the wall. She did not see the trolloc as it moved over her again and grabbed her leg, pulling her hard over the floor. Then suddenly, he disappeared again and all went black around her. She started to scream, sure that this trolloc had dragged her somewhere away from the woman and preparing himself to kill her. What was going on, why was this dream so vivid and the pain so real?

Her eyes flung open and Dawn looked around, the woman was gone, she was in her own bed. What happened? Slowly Dawn tried to rise, she was lying on her back and her arms and legs felt very heavy. She reached up and found the strength to sit upright. Her belly was hurting, but in the dark of the room she could not see anything. An almost natural feeling made her reach out to Saidar to channel for a bit of light, when she seemed to strike a wall. It felt as if a wall was placed between her and the Source and Dawn felt her throat clog up as she tried again, over and over again. Her arms were hurting and finally she made a light by using a match and a candle. By the little light she studied her body and found bruises on her legs, on her arms and stomach. She found scratches on her upper arm and three large cuts on her lower leg.

As Dawn walked over to the mirror, she saw that her head was bruised and she had a cut down her cheek. But most importantly, she could not channel, she was somehow close enough to grab it, close enough to feel the flow run past her body, but she could not reach out and take hold of it. It was behind a wall and a feeling of longing made her cry, she screamed and started to pound on the door, her fear and anger taking the better of the Gray. The dream had somehow become reality and her wounds were actually inflicted on her body, her skill in Saidar was gone and she could not get it back. She dropped down to her knees and cried, long sobs of pain and anger when someone knocked on the door. “Dawn Sedai? Are you alright?†the familiar voice of Sovald Rul made her look up and move away from the door. He came in and asked her what had happened, all she could say was, “A dream….†then she started to sob once more.

Dawn

OOC: Thanks so much M'bela! :D I'll continue this later as I'm not sure Sovald has time to be a part of the RP now.

Guest Celes

The morning passed quietly, Sovald stayed with Dawn and did not say much. He asked her if she wanted some tea and left the room so she could get dressed. He did not try to persuade her to stay in the room, after all the change had come over night, in her sleep. He did tell her he would not leave her side for even a moment and Dawn could almost hear his breathing through her door as he waited outside of it while she was readying herself. The loss of Saidar was immense and as Dawn dressed in a deep blue color of a dress with her Gray shawl wrapped around her tight, she thought of what to do now. She did not want to give up on the negotiations not now, but she could not be without the feel of Saidar too long.

Sovald accompanied her to the meeting and it went better than Dawn had expected it to go. She asked him to send a short note to one of her eyes and ears in Cairhien who could send it to Phaedra in the Tower. It spoke of the negotiations and how well it was going in Dawn’s opinion and a brief notice that she had somehow lost her ability to channel and her sincere hope that it would be a temporary ailment. Dawn was not sure when Phaedra would read the message, but today was not a day to worry about this. The meeting was of vital importance for her succeeding in this case and she needed to concentrate on it.

Her head was pounding, her mouth was dry and her eyes dim as she walked next to her friend and guard, Sovald Rul. The meeting had not gone bad, but she could not call it a success either. Lord Harold talked of a lot of things, but he only spent half an hour on the matter at hand. In this time, he merely spoke of details that Dawn had already gotten from Phaedra or could have figured out from earlier statements. He did not wish to continue with more than that and instead showed Dawn around his house and offered her a drink before dinner. As Dawn did not want to leave this discussion without at least some result, she took up the offer only to find herself with a splitting headache halfway through dinner. Finally the drag was over and she could return to the inn, with the knowledge that Lord Harold had agreed to meet in a discussion with Lord Dehan in two days. On equal standing and with hopes of finally solving their problems.

She took Sovald by the hand and squinted her eyes against the light of the bright moon. “It’s getting late, I should go to sleep soon, but…†he nodded, she did not have to say out loud how scared she was of returning to that awful dream. Maybe it was the only way to get her abilities back and maybe it would only make things worse. Dawn was tired and could not find the energy to think over what had happened exactly. She had been blocked from Saidar as a novice, fear of the unknown and anger over her mother’s choice to send her to Tar Valon had stopped her from learning to channel. Maybe something similar was happening now? She was afraid of losing this deal and having to admit her failure. She was also angry at how stubborn both parties were and how intent they seemed to be on her failure. Dawn listened to the voices in her head, repeating the words she had heard all day long, how hard it was to let go now and accept that tomorrow was a new day with new opportunities.

Then, suddenly out of nowhere she felt a sting on the back of her head. Dawn toppled over and landed on her knees, looking up to find a fist right in her face. She fell back and screamed for Sovald to help her out, but could not find him anywhere. What was happening now? Who was this and why? Did this man want her purse, she tried to grab for it, but could not find it anywhere. Her head was dazing and the light was getting sharper only to dim again. Had she still be able to channel, she could have fought back. Why was this happening to her, why?

Dawn Raelene

Gray Sister

Mediator

• 2 weeks later...

- - - - - Sovald lay restless in bed. The events of the day did not lend themselves to sleep. But he had to sleep. A sloppy and unalert Guard could become disaster. He could hear, through the walls, the sounds of Dawn asleep... what to do, what to do. He finally managed to settle into a shallow sleep... a sleep that was awoken by a shriek... of terror.. He was already on his feet and out his door before the sound died, and ehe entered her room with trepidation, speaking her name softly. She was on her knees on the floor, clad in smallclothes... and shivering. He could think of nothing to do.. but his body could. He moved without speaking, his arms gentle and comforting. As she shuddered, there were only two words that could come out of her lips. "A dream." A dream. Some nightmare to send an Aes Sedai into this state... But there was little he could do, but hold her. Gently she rocked, her sobs gradually growing quieter, until she fell asleep, no doubt from exhaustion. He lifted her... she was so fragile like this, sound asleep, so light in his arms. Gently setting her in the bed, he crouched down, He would not leave her side, not now. Absentmindedly, he noticed his shoulder was wet... the tears of Aes Sedai. His mouth quirked. What could... he would ask no questions. That had been terror in the shriek. So he sat, waiting the dawn... and the Dawn.

- - - - - When finally Dawn awoke, he arose as politely as possible, bowing low, and leaving her for only a moment while she dressed. As soon as she was done, he was back, watching over her as protectively as possible. How could he have let.... whatever happen to someone that he was assigned to guard? And this person, of all of them. One... that he had, perhaps, gotten too close to. He stayed quiet, just being there... for her, and for him too. She could not embrace the Source, as she called it. The Power. The word that used to make his spine tingle... But it was not there.

- - - - - He did what he could through the day, without leaving her too alone. That might have been her fear... and it might have been his. Either way, he had to sit through a boring meeting that was supposedly negotiations, although nothing about it made sense to him. It didn't have to though. He was here to guard those who understood these ways. And love them?, the cynical part of his mind said. If it was love. Or even like – such emotions simply got in the way. But the day was done with.. mostly. Slow was their walk back to the inn. Slow, and there was a heaviness in the air, a feeling of something hanging over them. He felt softness, silk in his hand, hers and his together. Forbidden, in his mind, but happening right there. “It’s getting late, I should go to sleep soon, but…†He squeezed her hand. Nightmares... that emptied one. He couldn't imagine what had happened. He was here now though, and nothing... He saw motion, and turned. Nothing, some animal or a begg... a sharp pain in his side, and a weight hit him as he turned. Dawn's hand left his... and he hit the ground hard, and slipped. He reached for the Void, and missed. A split second, but one of shock. A Guard these years, and he had not missed since his days as a trainee. Again, and he embraced it in all fullness. The knife in his side was a minor wound, the man on him to be thrown off. He moved, one with the earth, snapping the man's arm easily, turning on his knee.. And a woman's voice, calling his name. Dawn. There stood a man... the real threat. And a glint. A knife. She was down. There was a flash of light in Sovald's eyes. Reflection.. or maybe not. He was on his feet, charging, carefully aimed to deflect the blade from another strike. But he knew.. the blood on her. She had already been hit, more than once. A dodge, and he grabbed the arm and pulled. The man would not get away with this. The man made another move, but Sovald was a big and trained Guard, and could feel the move. A sweep move sent the man off-balance, stumbling back, and it was a simple matter to render him unconcious. Only then could Sovald drop the Flame, turning and kneeling. Dawn lay, raspy breathing, blood stains... A million thoughts raced through his head. How to help her. Keep pressure on the wound. Call for help. Why today?! Make sure she is safe before moving. Keep her attention. Why today?!! How bad is it? Why today?! Why today?!! It was... it was all his fault. He might as well have stabbed her himself... He had failed, because he had let himself fall. He gently lifted her blood-soaked form as she moaned something. He had to find another Sister, they could help. There must be one, somewhere in the city He took one look at the men, unconscious on the ground. Justice could wait. He saw only blood. He saw only blood.. on his hands.

"Hahaha, you really are quite cute you know. Now shut up and move."

"There's two of us, one of you, can't kill both of us with one bolt."

"You're right, whoever dies first will be the lucky one."

"What if we just decide to walk?"

"You walk and not even the guild's most secret safehouse will save you. Or anyone you love for that matter. Your mother still lives on the west docks doesn't she Cadoc?"

Pause.

"You woul-"

"Don't be stupid, of course I would, you know of me and what I'll do. Do as I say and you get to go back to your homes, fail and not only will you die, but I'll kill everyone else you know. No matter who they call master."

"This isn't over."

"Naturally, now get moving."

"You ba-"

"Do you two need to be told a third time? If you do, I know where your sister is Mattis."

The door of the house bursting open, a pair of men strode out. If one had been standing outside, one would have seen a third figure sitting who walked to the door and closed it. Dressed in black from head to toe, his dark rimmed hat concealed his dark blue eyes yet one could see the broad moustache. An easily recognisable face if one were a thief catcher or an assassin, Reynold Quaestero had returned to Cairhien.

Closing the door, Reynold jigged his way across the modest family room he was in to the stairs that led to the floor above to a tune that had yet to manifest itself. Up on the second floor, everything was already prepared. A chair by the window, a mug of water for lack of anything stronger in the house and of course, Marla.

Sitting down at the chair, it only took a gesture and she was on her arms and knees, his very own portable footstool amongst other things. The house had been hers until a couple of days ago until Reynold had figured out the route which the mark took. The woman had also had a son, an emphasis on had, not that she knew.

Or rather, she did know, but didn't want to believe. Reynold had always scoffed at those who tried to make people do things out of fear alone. A much more powerful motivator he found was using a person's love for others and fear of losing it, making the responsibility of the lives of their loved ones theirs. Thats why he'd had a marvellous slave for the past couple of days, she believed the promise that she'd get her son back if she did everything ordered of her. And it was always fun to see what people would do when the right pressure was applied.

Of course, the little boy of six seasons, his name lost to Reynold now, was dead within the first day. It'd been an hour's amusement, and it had primed the mother for his use. Laughing to himself, he checked the crossbow then took a draw of his mug as he settled in to wait. Looking through the window at an angle so he'd be able to see the back of the mark when she was attacked. Reaching over to the candle he lowered his gloved hand on the candle and suffocated the flame. With darkness so as not to reveal his position, it was now simply a waiting game with Mattias and Cadoc below.....

Hefting his crossbow, Reynold watched as the mark entered his sight. Not unpleasant to look at, if he'd had his own schedule to follow instead of one dictated by coin, he might have captured her instead of what he would now have to do. The thought of breaking one of the ageless women certainly appealed to him. Perhaps he'd have to look into it at some point.

Mattias and Cadoc's ambush revealed that it wasn't the first time they had done such. Mattias had his arm broken in moments and was out of action due to the Tower Guard he tussled with. Cadoc managed to get the job done though, which led Reynold to lower his crossbow. The Aes Sedai was mortally wounded, and he had no reason to reveal his position. He had no intention of letting the two live anyway, and the Tower Guard would solve that problem for him.

Or wouldn't, Reynold frowned as the Tower Guard subdued rather than killed Cadoc. Still, the man would have to leave the Aes Sedai to get help, this part of the city was very quiet at night, and people knew better than to call attention to a scuffle in the street.

Yet he was fretting over the woman. Levelling his crossbow at the man, Reynold took aim at the man. Finish him off, walk down and kill the others with a dagger. Yet as he wrapped his finger around the trigger, Reynold paused in thought. Pouting, he lowered the crossbow and leant back. He just wasn't feeling it tonight it seemed. Well, he was, but not over that Tower Guard. He had plans for Marla before being rid of her, and then he'd have coin for other amusements.

He could always give the man a bit longer to go and get help. He could then head down, slit the throats, or no no not that. Suffocating them would prove better, leave the assumption of the pair being footpads intact. The Tower Guard could always conclude he put down Cadoc too hard, and Mattias broken limb could have bled enough to kill him. Just a waiting game now, and then he could go and get his coin.

Reynold Quaestero

Blackguard

OOC: Hope this was worth waiting for :)

Guest Celes

OOC: Thank you both Ezra and James for posting. Unfortunately I can't post here before my holiday starts. :( I just wanted to let you know I loved it and will reply as soon as I'm back from loa. :D