DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Real life comparisons

Torgolpuff

I believe that the characters in the book were so well developed that there are a plentiful supply of relevant subplots and mini story arcs that can be helpful for anyone looking for ways to deal with different stages of their own life. 

It's a bold claim, but go ahead and challenge me with one of your life challenges and for fun I will try to use an example from the book (not the tv series) to provide an analogy. 

I manage a manufacturing plant.  Due to inflation and supply chain issues raw material costs have sky rocketed - when I can get them at all.  As a result, the company is in a cash-poor situation.  I need to keep inventory levels down but still supply customers.  I need inventory to supply customers, but inventory kills the bottom line.  Finding balance is difficult...

One wonders how the Forsaken could have been at the height of leadership of Age of Legends Aes Sedai, and then the Dark One's right hand men and women, when they are so venial, narcissistic, and incompetent. If they had put their myopic jealousies and politics aside and worked together and intelligently, they could have taken out Rand long before he became powerful enough to do anything. Are these people really some of the best AoL Aes Sedai? How?

Then you look at the current British Cabinet and the last couple Prime Ministers and think, "Oh...wait. Life imitates art after all."

Edited by Gypsum

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Gypsum said:

One wonders how the Forsaken could have been at the height of leadership of Age of Legends Aes Sedai, and then the Dark One's right hand men and women, when they are so venial, narcissistic, and incompetent. If they had put their myopic jealousies and politics aside and worked together and intelligently, they could have taken out Rand long before he became powerful enough to do anything. Are these people really some of the best AoL Aes Sedai? How?

Then you look at the current British Cabinet and the last couple Prime Ministers and think, "Oh...wait. Life imitates art after all."

The First half, I was going to reply with something similar but then yep. Nailed it.

There was a meme going around about how people used to think RJ was pessimistic about society because of how little people worked together to defeat the Dark One in the 3rd age.
But then Covid happened and we realized he was optimistic.

19 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

The First half, I was going to reply with something similar but then yep. Nailed it.

There was a meme going around about how people used to think RJ was pessimistic about society because of how little people worked together to defeat the Dark One in the 3rd age.

Ahem I played my part with my "within 6 foot" dodgeball.

All the Supernatural Gifs — SPNG Tags: Dean / Angry / Dodgeball / forgive  him...

8 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Indeed! You look at the whole series and think, "Can't these idiots stop playing the Game of Houses for one bloody second and focus on the bigger threat? Surely political leaders are not that useless. Surely RJ is just playing it for his plot."

Nope. Covid happened. We realized RJ nailed it. They really are that useless.

Edited by Gypsum

15 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I manage a manufacturing plant.  Due to inflation and supply chain issues raw material costs have sky rocketed - when I can get them at all.  As a result, the company is in a cash-poor situation.  I need to keep inventory levels down but still supply customers.  I need inventory to supply customers, but inventory kills the bottom line.  Finding balance is difficult...

@Torgolpuff - you asked for a challenge,,,

DojoToad, Ok, I did ask for a challenge (note to self; always be careful what you ask for) 

Keeping in theme I think you will need a Rand Al Thor, a Halwin Norry and possibly a Sebban Balwar to help with that one. 

My wife and I run a small business here in NZ and are facing similar challenges, although sounds like on a smaller scale. Where we are people are looking for more Artisan / home grown locally made etc. 

For you I imagine you've already looked at costs and checked out alt suppliers etc. I worked for a large company back in my corporate days that would come and do a green assessment of how you are running your business to save power cost etc., it got down to switching off computers at night and changing to LED bulbs. I don't know where you are the company was General Electric. Not sure if they still offer that service.

Any way I wish you the best of luck resolving your challenges.

4 hours ago, Torgolpuff said:

DojoToad, Ok, I did ask for a challenge (note to self; always be careful what you ask for) 

Keeping in theme I think you will need a Rand Al Thor, a Halwin Norry and possibly a Sebban Balwar to help with that one. 

My wife and I run a small business here in NZ and are facing similar challenges, although sounds like on a smaller scale. Where we are people are looking for more Artisan / home grown locally made etc. 

For you I imagine you've already looked at costs and checked out alt suppliers etc. I worked for a large company back in my corporate days that would come and do a green assessment of how you are running your business to save power cost etc., it got down to switching off computers at night and changing to LED bulbs. I don't know where you are the company was General Electric. Not sure if they still offer that service.

Any way I wish you the best of luck resolving your challenges.

You mentioned providing an example from the books.  I would add Min to your list.  But a group of characters is not an example/analogy...

Or maybe I misunderstood your challenge?

Tongue in cheek answers :

Like Rand al'Thor, do something than nobody expects (especially the Forsaken or the White Tower). Break the Aiels' chains !

Like the various average people in the last books : now is not the time to tend your orchard or your fields - take your tools, transform them into weapons and go to the Last Battle !

(fight capitalism, act about climate change, etc). Or as the prophetess Aenea said in the Cantos of Hyperion : "Choose again"