DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TFoH Ch. 6 - confused about sa'angreal / possible error?

scapaflow

So I've just listened to chapter 6 of TFoH, where Rand stands in his bed chamber after the whole thing with the darkhounds, looking at the two Access Keys to the male and female sa'angreal (Choedan Kal). But here's where I get confused:

When he thinks about the male sa'angreal connected to the male access key, he mentions that fortunately he and it are divided by the Aryth Ocean?
And when he thinks about the female sa'angreal, he mentions that he hopes it is still buried in Caihrien.

But... the male sa'angreal is the one being excavated in Caihrien; not the female one, right? The one he encounters in The Great Hunt?

I've re-listened to this three times now (I'm on audiobooks) and it is clearly what is stated. Is this just RJ mixing the two up as an oversight or have I missed something?

Robert Jordan's The Fires Of Heaven, Chapter 6 Gateways

"The male figure could link him to a huge replica of itself, the most powerful male sa’angreal ever made, even if he were on the other side of the Aryth Ocean from it. It had only been finished after the Dark One’s prison was resealed—How do I know that?—and hidden before any of the male Aes Sedai going mad could find it. The female figure could do the same for a woman, joining her to the female equivalent of the great statue he hoped was still almost completely buried in Cairhien. With that much power… Moiraine had said death could not be Healed."

Adding this quote as reference. Looks like you're right. Nice catch!

Edited by VooDooNut
or not... whoops!

On 1/20/2022 at 3:27 AM, VooDooNut said:

"The male figure could link him to a huge replica of itself, the most powerful male sa’angreal ever made, even if he were on the other side of the Aryth Ocean from it. It had only been finished after the Dark One’s prison was resealed—How do I know that?—and hidden before any of the male Aes Sedai going mad could find it. The female figure could do the same for a woman, joining her to the female equivalent of the great statue he hoped was still almost completely buried in Cairhien. With that much power… Moiraine had said death could not be Healed."

I read that differently.

He's not saying that the male sa'angreal is actually on the other side of the Aryth Ocean (which neither of them are - Tremalking is actually just off the coast) but that the access key could connect him to it even if it was.

He's also not saying that the female figure links to the statue buried in Cairhien, he's saying it links to its female equivalent (wherever it is).  At the time, he probably doesn't know where it is.  We only find out for sure that he knows it is on Tremalking just before the Cleansing, when he explains his plans to Cadsuane.

He probably learned its location either from Herid Fel, or from Min's research.  The only way he would have known its location as early as the passage in question is if the Finns told him about it when he asked his three questions in Tear.

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

I read that differently.

He's not saying that the male sa'angreal is actually on the other side of the Aryth Ocean (which neither of them are - Tremalking is actually just off the coast) but that the access key could connect him to it even if it was.

He's also not saying that the female figure links to the statue buried in Cairhien, he's saying it links to its female equivalent (wherever it is).  At the time, he probably doesn't know where it is.  We only find out for sure that he knows it is on Tremalking just before the Cleansing, when he explains his plans to Cadsuane.

He probably learned its location either from Herid Fel, or from Min's research.  The only way he would have known its location as early as the passage in question is if the Finns told him about it when he asked his three questions in Tear.

Well I feel foolish. It helps when I read with my eyes open. :tongue:

I caught that first point you made about the male sa'angreal, but COMPLETELY misread how the female sa'angreal sentence was written. You right. :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, VooDooNut said:

Well I feel foolish. It helps when I read with my eyes open. :tongue:

I caught that first point you made about the male sa'angreal, but COMPLETELY misread how the female sa'angreal sentence was written. You right. :rolleyes:

No problem.

I've had similar confusion about some things that were only cleared up on the second (or fourth or fifth) re-read.

:blush: